• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Metropolis scene image

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
caulfield

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 5:50 pm Reply with quote
There is a scene in Metropolis just after the start of the revolution/coup where several politicians are standing on a balcony. A few soldiers enter and kill them, but as one of the characters die, an image of a burning candle appears over his head right after he is shot and before he falls over, and then it quickly vanishes.

Is this an in-joke with the animator(s), a momentary glitch, visual symbolism/metaphor, or something else entirely? If it is symbolic, whatever does it mean to portray?

If no one knows what I am talking about, I can find the exact scene location on my North American release DVD, but its a fairly easy thing to spot (just need quick eyes).

I'm new here. Found a link here from MegaTokyo... So I appologize if this has already been asked before.
Neilworms

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 8:38 pm Reply with quote
The candle is actually a runinng gag for that particular character in Tezuka's manga/anime, even his more serious works like Adolf (which has a guy that is the same character), have that gag in it.

Tezuka liked to reuse characters, like for instance Rock (the bad guy with the sunglasses) was also used in Phoenix: A Tale of the Future, he treated them like actors, every personality would be different (rock has even been a good guy a couple times) but the "actor" would be that same person.

hope that answers the question.
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2002 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it's just one of the many Tezuka running jokes. The character you're referring to is a stock Tezuka character named "Lamp."

More info on the stock characters can be found here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1