• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Graphic Novel Goodness

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rah-Rah

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Nope Very Happy .
darkhunter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:01 am Reply with quote
That's still a lot of shojo for the buy it now titles. If it wasn't for Trigun (only guy-related manga) making it to the buy it now, I would say there's some bias going on.
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:14 am Reply with quote
If you look at the 4 titles in the borrow it section, you can't possibly argue with me that they deserve to be definite "Buy Its."

I think I'm far from biased. Yes I like Shoujo, but I like Shounen too. It's just very common that shoujo has a stronger plot/storyline than shounen. There's also a lot more shoujo out there than shounen. I work very hard on stepping outside of the box to give as much of an "unbiased" opinion as possible.

Also, what I review in each column is purely dependant on what I happen to acquire for that week. Maybe next week I'll have more shounen titles to work with. If you look at any of my other columns, I think you'll see more "balance." Now, if I were consistently just throwing things like Gravitation and Seven of Seven in the Buy It section just because "Tee hee! It's so super cute and FUN!" then you could argue that I'm biased.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:17 am Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
That's still a lot of shojo for the buy it now titles. If it wasn't for Trigun (only guy-related manga) making it to the buy it now, I would say there's some bias going on.

I don't see why guys have a hard time accepting it. Shoujo can be good. No, shoujo can be great. Guys and girls can enjoy it. Shoujo manga are outnumbering shonen manga licenses here in the US, so therefore when companies DO get around to releasing their volumes for the month, shoujo heavily outnumber the shonen. There's not a lot of great shonen manga out there avalible in English here in the US.

And I'll correct you on something: Trigun wasn't the only guy-related manga on the buy it now list. Tsubasa is a shonen manga.
deathbringer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:30 am Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
Saw it at B&N. Didn't pick it up though, because it didn't seem that interesting. What's worst is they have a picture of a little kid (Conan) on the cover which looks dorky.

But...he's the main character. Of course he's going to be on the cover.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:57 pm Reply with quote
deathbringer wrote:
darkhunter wrote:
Saw it at B&N. Didn't pick it up though, because it didn't seem that interesting. What's worst is they have a picture of a little kid (Conan) on the cover which looks dorky.

But...he's the main character. Of course he's going to be on the cover.

Yea what I mean is the cover looks too kiddy even though it's rated for older teen, plus a lot of adult like it too (the anime). But it's no surpsing some of the 10 year old were flipping through them at the Barnes and Noble which kind of turn me off from the title. But then again they'll flipping through Naruto and Negima too. I'm aware that Conan is suppose to be much older, but I think the cartoony pic of the little canon looks really dorky like a Yugioh manga.

littlegreenwolf wrote:
darkhunter wrote:

I don't see why guys have a hard time accepting it. Shoujo can be good. No, shoujo can be great. Guys and girls can enjoy it. Shoujo manga are outnumbering shonen manga licenses here in the US, so therefore when companies DO get around to releasing their volumes for the month, shoujo heavily outnumber the shonen. There's not a lot of great shonen manga out there avalible in English here in the US.

And I'll correct you on something: Trigun wasn't the only guy-related manga on the buy it now list. Tsubasa is a shonen manga.

Well I never said guys can't enjoy it, you just assume it...which is kind of.... Anyways, I like xxxholic too and think it's good. No problem with Shoujo, just seem that the majority of Buy it Now is Shoujo. Never said Lian was bias, because she had Trigun there. If she didn't, than I would think there would be some bias going with all the shoujo title. But then again she's a girls, so I understand how girls feel about shoujo title than shonen title (like BoTI). Even thogh I made it clear that trigun made the list which kind of balance the suggestion, I guess some people didn't read what I said and took it personally.

Sure I already know Shonen has a deeper story and more involving character, they mention it in megatokyo and newtype, but perhaps guys like less romance and more action. It's not rocket scientist that Shoujo is more for girls. Take a chick flick (romantic comedy like Mona Lisa Smile), which has more character development than an action title (like any jackie chan movie) which focus on action, and compare the two. If the guys had a choice, the majority of them would see the latest jackie chan movie than a romantic comedy. Tsubasa is a shonen title but it's difinitely more for the girls action title, because it get a lot of praise by girls (over in the animeondvd forum and here too). I think mostly due to thier love with CLAMP work and how it has thier favoriter character Sakura. Am I not right? Both gender can like it, it just as more of what girls like than what guys usually like. DN Angel also fall into this catergory in which girls seem to adore these action title more than guys. Weird but true, just check out most of the fan site. Perhaps I'm being too general due to readinng up a lot of physchology and human studies books.
Rah-Rah

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 3:26 am Reply with quote
Darkhunter, saying that maybe guys want less romance and more action is not true at all. It is just as bad as saying that since lian is a girl, should like shoujo better is also not true. They are both sterotypes. Hey, I'm a guy and I love all things by Kaori Yuki, and she is a shoujo artist. The genre of a manga does not matter, but it is the content, like art,depth of the story and characters that matter. Angel Sancuary, Yami no matsuei, Berserk, BOTI, and Hellsing are, IMO, some of the top twenty best manga series ever made, and notice I put stuff like AS and Berserk in my top twenty list, and do you know why? Because those series are better than most manga series. So, try new manga, branch out more. Read something because it is good, not because of it's target demograpic. I like Naruto and that is a kids manga.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one who has yet to be impressed by Trigun? The characters are good, and the world and overall plot is interesting, but the storytelling just bores me to death. Its just so choppy and undeveloped in my opinion. I still would read it to see how the characters interact, but I definitally don't run out and buy this every couple of months.
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
Am I the only one who has yet to be impressed by Trigun? The characters are good, and the world and overall plot is interesting, but the storytelling just bores me to death. Its just so choppy and undeveloped in my opinion. I still would read it to see how the characters interact, but I definitally don't run out and buy this every couple of months.

Had I reviewed vol. 1, I probably would've put it as a borrow it just because I hated the artwork and the book was long and boring. I'll agree that the plot development is pretty slow. But, the series is growing on me and I look forward to each new volume now.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:57 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:

What do you expect? If I was writing a column, most of the stuff I reviewed would be seinen. Its unavoidable that the reviewer looks at things that are aimed at him/her. RTO has done a good job with reviewing some shonen titles, even a few seinen things here and there.
And having nothing to do with the current subject, I have recently heard a rumor from a worker at a comicbook store that Viz will finally be bringing more No.5 over to the states soon Very Happy Its about time...
sailor_moon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Did anyone notice that RTO is mentioned on ADV's website? It's mentioned on the front page here.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:51 pm Reply with quote
sailor_moon wrote:
Did anyone notice that RTO is mentioned on ADV's website? It's mentioned on the front page here.

Wow... cool. Way to go Liann! ADV is giving notice to your TRO. *claps*
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 5:07 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
sailor_moon wrote:

Wow... cool. Way to go Liann! ADV is giving notice to your TRO. *claps*

Thanks. Anime smile; I'm glad people are enjoying RTO Wink.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 1:56 am Reply with quote
Hey it's good to know that your review does have impact on a lot of people. Even ADV is taking notice.

http://www.advfilms.com/MANGA2004September8RightTurnOnlygivesPretearaMust-BuyRecommendation2860.asp
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 6:45 am Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
Hey it's good to know that your review does have impact on a lot of people. Even ADV is taking notice.

http://www.advfilms.com/MANGA2004September8RightTurnOnlygivesPretearaMust-BuyRecommendation2860.asp

Look 3 posts above yours Wink

A little late to chime in, but another great column as always.

Of course the unforunate side-effect of this is that my wallet will be even emptier now having to acquire all this manga as well as my weekly anime quota. Anime smile

I'm still pulling my hair out trying to get STONe, but I can't go down to Planet Anime because they are moving to a new location this weekend. Evil or Very Mad Looks like I'll have to wait another day or two.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2