• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime News Network Streams Kite: Liberator

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ConanSan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:53 pm Reply with quote
russ869 wrote:
Conan-san wrote:

What will be next? Barring people from reading Anime News Nina because whatever luid advertisement asking me if I watch anime in the bath or whilst pinning down Mikuru Asahina to do god knows what is not getting enough money from non Americans? Blocking me from reading Right Turn Only because, oh, it's American releases and thus it's openly assumed that I don't care?
It's videos now, but if it's not fixed now and changed to a far more positive situation for all, where else?

Nobody is being "barred" from anything. The people who run the website are simply not capable of making it so people from other regions can watch at this time.
So, People from other regions are barred from watching the content because of legal red tape, thank you captain clarity.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:24 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Outside Japan, do Americans complain this much when non-American companies release anime/manga that's not available in America? Laughing

On the rare occasions when anime becomes available exclusively outside R1 with English subtitles or dubbing, it isn't streamed for free.
I can understand how our complaining annoys you, but please bear with our grumbling- If ANN are working with companies other than MB we should hopefully start to benefit as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vtnwesley

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Taiyz wrote:
GeorgeC wrote:
This all part of an initiative to help jump-start DVD sales in R1? Huh, huh? Wink
It's doing the complete opposite for me. With all these series' becoming legally free online, I'm having trouble reasoning why I should bother purchasing any of them in disc form; it's not like DVD quality is THAT much higher than the streaming quality of some of these websites. So when I finally get around to purchasing stuff like The Slayers or Ramen Fighter Miki, it'll be begrudgingly. It's stuff I wanted to see, stuff I wanted to add to my collection, but nothing I really needed to pay for in the first place because of this movement. =/

I can relate. Some shows just don't lend themselves to multiple viewings, and I'd be a little squeemish about spending on them. Some people just aren't into watching things over and over either. As long as they make money off ads, it isn't like you aren't supporting your hobby. The money is just coming from somewhere else.

Might I add, if anyone out in ANNland is listening, I'd love to finally get around to see Magic Knights Rayearth S2...
kokuryu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see more streaming... but you know Crunchyroll already had some of these legally streaming...
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:00 pm Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:
Nice to see more streaming... but you know Crunchyroll already had some of these legally streaming...

So what?
coconutpenguin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:10 pm Reply with quote
So, does anyone else have serious issues with the lack of a freaking 'Mature Content' advisory on Kite Liberator?

Blood and guts and sex don't really bother me, but you guys should at least put some sort of warning on this. Heck, if you don't even have to be an signed-in ANN user to see the video, you could end up with an 11-year-old watching all the crap in Kite Liberator.

And please don't give me the "It's the parent's responsibility to watch their kids" crap. No parents are perfect, and it'd be a freaking shame to have some curious kids scarred for life because you guys were too stupid to put a quick "Rated R for violence, blood and sexual content" warning in the video's description.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:36 pm Reply with quote
People who want to watch it would watch it anyway reguardless. The only thing an advisiory does is absolve the broadcaster of legal responsibillity really.

Last edited by Kruszer on Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
coconutpenguin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
People who want to watch it would watch it anyway reguardless. The only thing an advisiory does is absolve the broadcaster of legal responsibillity really.

A fair point, but minors should at least get fair warning if they're going to be viewing inappropriate content.

And I guess I failed to mention in my initial post that this can also become a legal issue as well if no warning is added. Why do you think sites like Youtube and Veoh DON'T allow mature content?! Legality, duh.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Having to sign in would sorta work. It would make sure they were at least 13, that's assuming the person put in their real birth date though which can be easily faked.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Anime News Network (ANN) has sent out its official press release announcing the availability of Kite: Liberator on the site, and in addition to Kite: Liberator, the press release also announces that Girl's High and Ramen Fighter Miki will both be made available on December 15.

So.. where is this Anime News Network site anyway?

(c'mon, someone else must be amused at the third person style)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Well, personally I didn't care for Kite: Liberator so I wouldn't watch that again. (At least it was better than the first Kite though.) If I have time I may check out the other ones though. Generally, I tend to stay away from Media Blasters as a rule though. They hardly ever liscense anything that I like.

Other ones? There are other Kites besides the first one and Liberator? I honestly don't care about the first one either, but if there are others besides Liberator, that might be interesting.
pixiebell

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:50 pm Reply with quote
I am so excited! This is a big step for ANN and I would like to thank everyone who worked hard to make this happen. I hope to watch all three as soon as I can. Smile
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:18 pm Reply with quote
PS "Sorry, but our licensing agreement does not allow us to show this video in United Kingdom Sad" is a little gramatically incorrect, although it obviously works for most countries in this case "The" should be inserted before UK in the list of countries.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
underbase

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Great job on breaking into the fledgeling legal anime streaming market! Kite's not my thing, but I'm really looking forward to seeing Ramen Fighter and Girls High. I'm also looking forward to whatever else you might have coming down the pipe.

Here's one vote for making a deal with Imaginasian to show the three series they put out on DVD-R. I got to buy Cat's Eye but missed out on Orguss and Remi - I'd love to have the chance to see them!

I'm a big DVD buyer, but having the chance to see a few episodes before deciding what to get is always really helpful. Hope this takes off and does really well for you in the future!
crescendoll

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Impressive~!
Congratulations, ANN!!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8