• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: English Dragonball: Evolution Trailer Officially Posted

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Semi-OT, but does anyone else think that despite being a NEW movie, this would deserve a generous dose of bitching from either the Nostalgia Critic or those MST3K guys? Well, I know the latter still does dialogue tracks for the RiffTrax site...still, this just looks RIPE for that kind of..."love".
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Cliffjxn wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
What the hell did I just watch? That isn't even REMOTELY close to Dragon Ball. Being a fan of the orginal series, I have several problems with this movie already.

1. Why is Roshi called Master Roshi and why isn't the person playing Master Roshi older? The orginal Master Roshi is at least in his 70's and is completly bald.

2. The guy playing Goku isn't showing much confidence, doesn't have spikey hair. His voice doesn't even match the part either.

3. Why isn't the person playing Picolo green or at the very least look like Picolo. In the original series, Picolo never wore a leather suit either.

4. The person playing Bulma looks more like a model than a technolgy expert.

This movie is going to be as bad, if not much worse than Speed Racer. This is quite a disgrace to Akria Toryiama's work. Fox should stick to america based shows like 24, Prison Break or House.

There are so many faults already, I can only imagine how bad the actual movie will actually be.

Ya know you seem to just be complaining because this isn't EXACTLY like the anime. I;m sorry but this is why it's called an ADAPTATION. There is no way (without an even huger budget at least) to make the movie look exactly like the show. You seem to just be nitpicking to justify your pre-determined opinion this movie is just full of suck before you ever see it. Even if they looked the part, as that seems to be your biggest complaint, you'd probably then complain about another factor and go on still about how it's full of suck. This is hardly a disgrace and what's more of a disgrace are bigoted japanophile fans who are screaming this is so horrible because it has the stench of Hollywood on it. Here's an idea; try waiting and actually seeing the movie first before claiming how full of suck it is. I would also suggest you see it with an open mind but that would probably just be asking too much beyond seeing it period before complaining about it's suckage.

Jeepers H. Cookies dude, that argument is B.S. I don't think he's saying that things should be exactly the same just more like the book/show. He's saying that it's going to suck because it's not [u]enough like the show. Or pehaps anything like it.

People like you keep saying, "It's an adaptation. It doesn't have to be like the original." Just why the heck can't there be an adaptation that's more like the original? Your reason: OOOOO, that would be too expensive. Are you kidding? Dude, you have to spend money to make money. And with action/fantasy movies usually the move you spend the more you make. Seriously, look at all the movies that have been made in the last few years based on western fantasy concepts and then look at the time, effort, and money that was spent on making them. Let's see: We've had, The Golden Compass, a movie about a girl and her friend, a talking Polar bear who is also a blacksmith. We've seen The Lord of the Rings, 3 related movies about little people running through the woods with elves and fairies. We've seen Harry Potter, 5 movies about a boy wizard and all the things wizards run into. Not to mention, The Chronicles of Narnia (2 movies about a group of kids teaming up with talking forest creatures and a talking lion), 300, Hellboy, Night at the Museum, Zathura, and Pirates of the Caribbean! I could go on, but, why bother?
Money isn't the reason they changed it so much. The reasons are: 1. They have no respect for the fans or the audience. After all anime is weird crap and people who like like it are weird too, right? Who cares if they don't like it we're not making it for them. We just need to get action movie fans to fill seats. 2. Western movie makers are well, bigots. They'll gladly green light a movie with silly sounding elements (see above) if it's origins are Western, but, if it's Eastern they start peeing in their pants over whether or not Joe bumpkin from Idaho will accept it.

And, what, pray tell, is it that actually precludes making the thing look closer to the original?
You: Well, you just can't make a movie that looks like a comic book, duh. It would just look too dumb, people wouldn't accept it and it would cost too much.
Me: Hmmmm, you've never seen Hellboy, 300, or Sin City have you?
Those movies were visually much closer to their source material than this movie and people raved for days about the visuals.
I think the attitude you and the producers of US-DB shows more of lack of imagination/vision and tendency toward bigotry on your part than pn the part of the average movie goer or us "Japanophiles"

Finally, what you don't get is the reason some of us like DB is that it's different. It's not just the same generic story about a sad/mad outcast kid with no confidence learning to overcome life's adversities. Dragon Ball a grand boy's adventure about a strong, confident, happy kid. It's the story of a boy who makes friends wherever he goes and who fights to defend the weak. Movie Goku is just the same shy, sad-sack, needs to be dragged out of his shell we've seen in every western action/adventure movie about young people. And that just doesn't sit well with me. So, excuse me/us for wanting things to be different.

Thank you, at least someone understood where I was coming from. It's like Holywood didn't even try to make the characters look like the original characters from Dragon Ball. Picolo looks like a mutant goblin or a rejected character design from Star Trek.

Seeing a show that started your interest in anime turned into something this embarssing is quite agrvating.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Cliff:
Quote:

I think one of the big reasons why we're getting this crappy version (besides the reasons I mentioned before) is the writer's strike.

That may have been a factor, but the studio has only had the rights for eight years now; and so it could've started shooting long before the strike. So I'm betting FOX was buoyed by the marketing behind Speed Racer which, at the time, made it look like a sure winner-especially since the Wachowskis had yet to bomb.

I agree with you on the TF marketing, though. But the sequel will bomb, because people are getting bored with Shia, and they're clearly just milking the cash-cow for what it's worth-not actually trying to do anything interesting with the material.

Quote:
Also, it's pretty much unheard of for a movie that's not very good (I'm being generous) to get a sequel that's actually better. Look at the Resident Evil movies for example. Can you honestly say that RE2 is better than 1? No.

Haven't seen RE2, but they're all shot on the cheap, and are thus profitable enough to justify sequels, even with low box office totals. I'm guessing that's what FOX is hoped would happen with DB, but I imagine all those re-shoots will jack up the budget higher than intended.

Unit: I think Disaster Movie's the end of that genre-I hope.

Quote:
It was based on a cheesy '80s cartoon whose only purpose was to sell toys. I mean, if you don't look for anything beyond that, hey, whatever.

Yes, but they at least tried to make it worth the trouble to sell the toys, not just, "Look at that guy piss water! Har Har!"

enurtsol:
Quote:
So then..... uh........ when will anime fans stop supporting loli moe titles just because it makes the most money?

Yeah, and...? I think most of us hate moe, and only those Akihabara losers get off on it. And it's clearly killing the market in Japan, since there's not enough motivation to buy most shows at face value.

Quote:
Anyways, I'm sure ya guys would like to make more movies like Steel Magnolias, Brokeback Mountain, etc. How many fans actually paid to see those critically acclaimed movies?

Dunno about fans, but those did make money.

Quote:
Besides, what makes us an arbiter of how a solid piece of entertainment should be? Let the democratic people vote with their wallets?

We are voting, by refusing to pay, unless you can sell it to the rest of us, and not just some stupid geeks.

dtm:
Quote:
You see, I never bought into the idea that the Transformers should change size when going from vehicle-mode to robot-mode (or vice versa).

And I never bought into the idea that you could transform that easily if you have all those useless interlocking parts as depicted in the movie. What's your point?

Quote:
The average movie-goer would rather go to movie they think is good, and there are far more of them than Transformers fans. They - not the fans - are the ones who decide whether or not a movie will be a commercial success, especially for an expensive blockbuster.

The average movie-goer doesn't watch these movies, because he/she thinks they're good, but because he/she thinks it'll deliver the stupid money-shot destruction scenes and low-brow comedy they expect from it.

Quote:
I sincerely doubt that anyone could have made a faithful live-action Transformers movie without spending a small fortune.

The mecha in the Matrix Revolutions seemed more faithful to Transformers than the effing Transformers movie. And it had the same budget.

Quote:
It doesn't have the huge budget, which means that it doesn't have to compromise itself.

Um, it already did compromise itself. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
It also has a huge potential fanbase;

Again. So did Street Fighter and Final Fantasy.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Just curious, when and why did this become "TRANSFORMERS SUCKED!" as opposed to "DRAGONBALL IS GOING TO SUCK!"?

But anyway, the original Dragonball was mindless, harmless entertainment. Granted, my exposure to the show was mostly the times I caught it on CN, but I enjoyed it for its quirky sense of humor and its goofy, likable cast. Plus the villains rarely seemed intimidating because they were either cute or too silly to be taken seriously.

But now we have a guy with a bad mousse-job and a Roshi that doesn't look like Roshi and crappy wirework and a villain whose makeup looks about on par with a typical Star Trek episode and guns.

That's not Dragonball, that's Hollywood [expletive] up a cute and enjoyable kid's show. They've done this with a lot of cartoons in the past (Garfield and Inspector Gadget made me CRINGE), and they shall continue to do so in the future.

If the Eva movie ever gets off the ground, I can't wait for the rants on how they screwed up the looks of the robots, how the main characters are too old or too young, how there's barely any Asians in the cast...
Cliffjxn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:24 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Cliffjxn, you make some good points. While I don't necessarily agree with you on Transformers (for what it was, I enjoyed it, but I know it wasn't everyone's cup of tea), I DO understand where you're coming from with crap begetting crap. Look at the idiots who make Epic Movie, Date Movie, Disaster Movie. Somehow these massive turds turn over a profit, and therefore the studios keep OKing more of that putrid garbage. It's an irritating cycle, but Hollywood latches onto whatever makes the most money, not what seems like it would actually be a solid piece of entertainment.

So then..... uh........ when will anime fans stop supporting loli moe titles just because it makes the most money? Wink

Anyways, I'm sure ya guys would like to make more movies like Steel Magnolias, Brokeback Mountain, etc. How many fans actually paid to see those critically acclaimed movies? Very Happy

Edit:

Besides, what makes us an arbiter of how a solid piece of entertainment should be? Let the democratic people vote with their wallets? Laughing

Dude, Steel Magnolias made $95,904,091! In 1989! It probably didn't cost more than 5 or 10 million to make. Brokeback Mountain cost about $14 million to produce and made more than $178 million. (Dragon Ball is said to have cost over 100 million to produce. I doubt that. But, if it's true it doesn't have a chance in Hell of making a significant amount beyond the break even point.) Both of those movies were solid hits as far as the studios were concerned. Razz Just for the record I've never seen either of those movies, so, I'm not planning on holding anything up to their standard. Which is good, since I don't know what that standard is.

I get what you're trying to say. And I agree a movie doesn't have to be acclaimed by every critic or as well written as, say, Batman Begins, but, if you make a movie you could at least aim for that level. Instead of writing down below your audience (I'm looking at you Bay), how about writing as if adults will be watching too? Because, guess what? They will be.
Look at it this way, the original Star Wars was not the best or the smartest movie ever made. But, it wasn't the film equivalent of baby speak. And it wasn't a bait and switch either (DBE). It's a movie that really is good solid entertainment rather than mindless pap or cliched rip-off. Would it kill the people in Hollywood to shoot for that just for that level?
Cliffjxn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:57 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I really enjoyed the 2007 Transformers movie. I'm not alone; everyone else in the audience in my theater seemed to really really like it. Sure, the final battle went on too long, it took too long in getting going, and the cast could have been cut down. But it was actually still a good movie.

Was it a good adaption of the Transformers franchise? Actually, yes it was. You see, I never bought into the idea that the Transformers should change size when going from vehicle-mode to robot-mode (or vice versa). I felt it struck a good balance between focusing on the humans and the Transformers.

I didn't say TF was bad because it was a bad adaptation of the Transformers TV show I just think it's a bad movie. Period. I kept being pulled out of the tons of little stupid things that went on every couple of minutes. Ever notice how the sun starts to set every time there's a fight or a battle? I swear, one scene starts at like 3 in the afternoon and 5 minutes later it's full night. How fact doe Michael Bay think that the Earth spins? And as for there being a balance between the humans and the robots, I strongly disagree. The robots a bit players in their own movie. John Voit's character was more fleshed out than any of the robots. No pun intended. The one good thing about the Dragon Ball movie is the main characters seem to actually be the main characters.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:56 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I think it's gonna depend on how many stupid "Gawlee! That CG is awesome!" fans are interested in this flick. Rolling Eyes

That's not very nice.

-_-; anywho...I don't know if this thread should be another Transformers/Speed Racer blah blah blah debate...
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:45 pm Reply with quote
This movie is gonna SUCK. Twisted Evil

{MODERATION EDIT: Perhaps it will, perhaps it won't. It's uncertain. What is certain, however, is that your post was pointless, unintelligent and generally below the standards of this forum. We generally endeavour to have a level of discussion that is slightly further above kindergarten level than you seem able to match. Try harder, okay? -- abunai}
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:27 am Reply with quote
Cliffjxn wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Cliffjxn, you make some good points. While I don't necessarily agree with you on Transformers (for what it was, I enjoyed it, but I know it wasn't everyone's cup of tea), I DO understand where you're coming from with crap begetting crap. Look at the idiots who make Epic Movie, Date Movie, Disaster Movie. Somehow these massive turds turn over a profit, and therefore the studios keep OKing more of that putrid garbage. It's an irritating cycle, but Hollywood latches onto whatever makes the most money, not what seems like it would actually be a solid piece of entertainment.

So then..... uh........ when will anime fans stop supporting loli moe titles just because it makes the most money? Wink

Anyways, I'm sure ya guys would like to make more movies like Steel Magnolias, Brokeback Mountain, etc. How many fans actually paid to see those critically acclaimed movies? Very Happy

Edit:

Besides, what makes us an arbiter of how a solid piece of entertainment should be? Let the democratic people vote with their wallets? Laughing

Dude, Steel Magnolias made $95,904,091! In 1989! It probably didn't cost more than 5 or 10 million to make. Brokeback Mountain cost about $14 million to produce and made more than $178 million.

Exactly. And ya guys (not you) have seen any of them, right? And can't wait for more like it? Very Happy

Cliffjxn wrote:

I get what you're trying to say. And I agree a movie doesn't have to be acclaimed by every critic or as well written as, say, Batman Begins, but, if you make a movie you could at least aim for that level. Instead of writing down below your audience (I'm looking at you Bay), how about writing as if adults will be watching too? Because, guess what? They will be.
Look at it this way, the original Star Wars was not the best or the smartest movie ever made. But, it wasn't the film equivalent of baby speak. And it wasn't a bait and switch either (DBE). It's a movie that really is good solid entertainment rather than mindless pap or cliched rip-off. Would it kill the people in Hollywood to shoot for that just for that level?

I agree with you. I'm just picking on when people say Hollywood should make something "good," and then those people don't go out and watch the "good" movies. (Like WALL-E!!! Cool )
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:52 am Reply with quote
Speed Racer bombed because it was kitschy, tried to honor the original while spitting out SUPER SPIFFAY RAINBOW-COLORED FX, was based on a show most people forgot or didn't care about anymore, or hadn't even HEARD OF (the target audience was children...who...unlike the rest of us didn't see the show when MTV was airing it), etc etc etc.

Dragonball, granted, is a bit fresher in the collective consciousness, but even then, how many kids today even know anything about the original adventures of kid Goku? Does Fox even know what they're getting themselves into?

Of course, imagine the outcry if they tried to make a movie based on Yu-Gi-Oh or Hikaru no Go; who wants to go watch characters play children's card games or an obscure Japanese board game most people in the US know nothing about?
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:57 am Reply with quote
tyger: I'll admit I like to veg out once in a while myself, but I hate when people watch stuff just because it has giant explosions. It should at least have a little more excitement, and less dumb-assery.

Unit: Pretty much agree with you on Speed Racer. I imagine that people read the DB manga, though, but Z is still more popular here. As for your last comment...

Quote:
Of course, imagine the outcry if they tried to make a movie based on Yu-Gi-Oh or Hikaru no Go; who wants to go watch characters play children's card games or an obscure Japanese board game most people in the US know nothing about?

Um... Wink
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:08 am Reply with quote
Gah! Shocked

[expletive] Bakugan!? *Goes on a Nostalgia Critic-style rant about how absolutely horrible the show is*

(Yes, I'm a big NC fan, if you haven't noticed by my mentioning him twice)

But seriously, why? It really ISN'T a good show. I don't care if it was more or less made for mass consumption, that doesn't mean it deserves a movie. If the future of anime-based licensed movies is shows that are either well-known and crappy, old and forgotten, or some combination thereof, I seriously doubt we'll get any GOOD movies from these old shows.

...would it be wrong for me to say that while part of me would love a good live-action movie based on the Macross part of the Robotech story, the other part would KNOW they'd screw it up and it would end up just like Speed Racer for the reasons I mentioned above?
Cliffjxn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:33 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I really enjoyed the 2007 Transformers movie. I'm not alone; everyone else in the audience in my theater seemed to really really like it. Sure, the final battle went on too long, it took too long in getting going, and the cast could have been cut down. But it was actually still a good movie.

Was it a good adaption of the Transformers franchise? Actually, yes it was. You see, I never bought into the idea that the Transformers should change size when going from vehicle-mode to robot-mode (or vice versa). I felt it struck a good balance between focusing on the humans and the Transformers.

Just because the fans were up in arms did not make the movie a flop. The average movie-goer would rather go to movie they think is good, and there are far more of them than Transformers fans. They - not the fans - are the ones who decide whether or not a movie will be a commercial success, especially for an expensive blockbuster.

I sincerely doubt that anyone could have made a faithful live-action Transformers movie without spending a small fortune. And that's the conundrum, because having spent $300 million on a movie you have to recoup costs, and the only way to do that is to make a movie that will appeal to a wider audience.

But is that so bad? You can argue till your face turns blue that it was a bad Transformers movie, but it still repaid itself just in the box-office returns, let alone merchandising or DVD sales. That suggests that the wider public thought it was a good movie. Well, good enough to spend their money on it.

Funny you should mention merchandising since I haven't seen any connected to DBE. One has to wonder about that.

TF rant:
Transformers isn't a bad movie because it's not faithful to the old cartoon(it's not, but that doesn't matter in this case). It's a bad movie because it is a bad movie. It's a big dumb collection of scenes mostly lifted from other (sometimes better) movies and cobbled together into something resembling a coherent film. Example: Remember the scene where the military guys have to call for back up and one of them borrows a cel phone? Well, almost that exact same thing was done in Clint Eastwood's Heartbreak Ridge, right down to the soldier making the call being hassled by the operator.

Rant over. . . Mostly.

Commercial success doesn't equal quality. Nor does it mean that the people responsible for that success are exercising good judgment. And just because you like something doesn't mean it is good. Example: Godzilla (1998) made about $380 million. I saw it twice. Looking back, I knew it was crap the first time I saw it, but, I liked the effects (I love dinosaurs and giant monsters) and there were a couple of good scenes. . . I can't stand Godzilla now though. Anyway, I've come to realize that several movies I liked were at least kind of lousy by subjective standards - lots of plot holes, bad acting, irritating stereotypes, poor editing, story sucks, point a to point d skipping b and c writing, etc. The point is you can like something and it can still be bad. It's nothing to be ashamed of, but, I wouldn't go around crowing about it either.

Here's something to think about: I saw the first Highlander on opening day and three more times after that. At the time I thought it was the coolest movie ever. Now, I think it's kind of lousy. It still has special place in my heart, but, now I have a hard time watching it at all. Too many things jar me out of my suspension of disbelief. It's the same with TF, except the jarring started at the beginning, when the writers obviously got Cubans and Cajuns mixed up. And I'm pretty sure the I'm going to have the same problems with DBE. Just too many things jumping out and playing with my brain.
[/u]
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:52 am Reply with quote
This would be an appropriate place for that were we discussing Transformers Revenge of the Fallen, but since we aren't, really, can we focus here?
Cliffjxn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:47 am Reply with quote
[quote="enurtsol"][quote="Cliffjxn"]
enurtsol wrote:

Exactly. And ya guys (not you) have seen any of them, right? And can't wait for more like it? Very Happy

Cliffjxn wrote:

I agree with you. I'm just picking on when people say Hollywood should make something "good," and then those people don't go out and watch the "good" movies. (Like WALL-E!!! Cool )

Rolling Eyes You are comparing apples to oranges. I mean, you might have case if DBE was a about Goku and Picolo coming to blows (no pun intended) over their latent homosexual attraction to each other. You might have a point if Chichi and Bulma ran a beauty shop in the South. You'd have a point if those movies were in the same genre as DBE, but, they aren't. Yes, they were good movies according to most folk who saw them, but, "good" in this case isn't generic speak for, "everyone's cup of tea". Lord of the Rings, Narnia, Harry Potter, Spider-Man those are much better comparisons to what we are talking about here. Those are mostly good, well received movies too, not as heart breaking-ly serious, but, still good. I'm not asking for DBE to be as tightly written as, "All the President's Men", or, "The French Connection". I just want Sci-Fi or fantasy that doesn't piss me off/ make me groan every few seconds. What's the point of going to the movies to see something if it's only slightly better written than the average Sci-Fi Channel movie? (*cough*Transformers*cough*) Or if it's something that's been unnecessarily altered almost beyond recognition?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 14