• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Saikano ending SPOILER!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 4:32 pm Reply with quote
For me it was just the opposite, and I had my reasons. Before I got flamed into charcoal briquettes, abunai saved me with a much better written post explaining the background behind my reasons. I owe him once.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
M.B.K.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Sarki-Kun wrote:
Or well, I haven't seen the Saikano anime (just read the manga), but I didn't cry as much as I recently did with Grave of the Fireflies...Yes, I'm still in shock. 15 minutes since it ended...A truthly masterpiece...

Probably, because is a difference between fictional and REAL wars.
Sarki-Kun

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 3:07 am Reply with quote
I'd say more. I either have a little sister which is over Setsuko's age (a bit younger), but I guess I'm older than Seita. Anyways, I think after watching that movie that I'm gonna take more care of her Anime smile + sweatdrop
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 5:33 am Reply with quote
Sarki-Kun wrote:
I'd say more. I either have a little sister which is over Setsuko's age (a bit younger), but I guess I'm older than Seita. Anyways, I think after watching that movie that I'm gonna take more care of her Anime smile + sweatdrop

See, folks? This is why you shouldn't let anybody tell you that anime is useless. If for no other reason than that it provokes a positive emotional response of this kind.

Hmm. I think I'm going to go off and be extra nice to my kids, now. Smile

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TF

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 5:38 am Reply with quote
oh crap, that means if i ever watch GotF i'm gonna be depressed for a week Evil or Very Mad
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 7:34 am Reply with quote
TF wrote:
oh crap, that means if i ever watch GotF i'm gonna be depressed for a week Evil or Very Mad

Count on it.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
M.B.K.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:44 am Reply with quote
Sarki-Kun wrote:

I see your point.
Sarki-Kun

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Grave of the Fireflies is one of those animes which, instead of just using it for entertainment, they're rather more to teach people about something. After all, I still consider anime as a medium of entertainment, as football, basketball, cinema, or whatever.

In fact, most Slice of Life are useful for that. So that's probably why I like them. And...I'm gonna ask. Is any other movie/short anime which either can makes you cry and/or teach you something? (...I need to learn how to explain myself better Anime hyper).
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Sarki-Kun wrote:
In fact, most Slice of Life are useful for that. So that's probably why I like them. And...I'm gonna ask. Is any other movie/short anime which either can makes you cry and/or teach you something? (...I need to learn how to explain myself better Anime hyper).

Let me try to help out friend Sarki-kun here. I think what he means to ask is:

"Can you name an anime that contains emotionally moving elements, and which also manages to be useful as a teaching tool - for instance, in history?"

My own answer is that, for purposes of history teaching, Hotaru no haka / Grave of the Fireflies is the only anime I've seen which is solid enough to be useful. I've not seen Barefoot Gen, but I believe it passes muster, too.

Now, for teaching philosophy, I think a number of anime (principally Ima, soko ni iru boku / Now and Then, Here and There) would be very useful as starting points for moral philosophy debates.

This is sort of off-topic for this thread - maybe it had better go in another thread?

- abunai
Sarki-Kun

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:47 am Reply with quote
Abunai wrote:
This is sort of off-topic for this thread - maybe it had better go in another thread?

I don't care. I know there's nothing more to explain here about Saikano's ending, but since people started talking about some Slice of Life/Phylosophic anime, I thought I could ask something that I wanted to know.

I heard about Now and there, here and then. I'll admit there's no way to watch it "legally" (for me), and since I'm not allowed to ask for fansubs here, I won't.

I can continue searching for myself. If I really have an important question, I can ask PM someone (as Abunai), start a new topic, or whatever. Anyways, I don't mind about this thread future. If someone wants to say something...
R.G.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 2:03 am Reply with quote
It sounds almost as depressing as the "Deconstruction of falling stars" episode of Babylon 5.

-----------------------------------------------

"Among the millions of galaxies in the universe,lies a medium sized star . . . and one of its satellites,a green and insignificant planet,is now dead."
-from Beneath the Planet of the Apes
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:30 am Reply with quote
R.G. wrote:
It sounds almost as depressing as the "Deconstruction of falling stars" episode of Babylon 5.

-----------------------------------------------

"Among the millions of galaxies in the universe,lies a medium sized star . . . and one of its satellites,a green and insignificant planet,is now dead."
-from Beneath the Planet of the Apes

Oh boy, oh boy - someone who's on my wavelength! Very Happy I've always loved those two stories.

- abunai
M.B.K.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:35 am Reply with quote
[quote="abunai]I've always loved those two stories.[/quote]

Yes, IMHO, "Babilon 5" rules forever.
R.G.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Abunai,M.B.K.,I guess you two are into the earth being destroyed,huh?
Sarki-Kun

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:14 pm Reply with quote
R.G. wrote:
Abunai,M.B.K.,I guess you two are into the earth being destroyed,huh?

Hahaha! Really funny, I admit. Anyways, watching how my anime preferences are growing...I don't discard the option of being another of those "Earth Anime Destroyers", xD
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4