• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-12-12]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bu:Ru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:31 am Reply with quote
Please, please, PLEASE do NOT kill me, but I have a question about furries, referring to what Brian said about them. Are they people who actually think they're people with cat ears or whatever in a different world, or are they just people who like animal features on a human being?
Because I don't see anything wrong with the latter. Confused
Rednal

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:47 am Reply with quote
*Sips tea* Hmm, I see some people were hoping Shinji wouldn't get mentioned. ^^ Well, I mentioned him, so I may as well explain why. He's a whiny loser. Now, understand that this is very different from me disliking him with every fiber of my being. There's actually very few characters I think of in that way; even if I hate them as people, they're usually quite interesting characters. Shinji Ikari has an enormous amount of crap to deal with... but he's still a whiny loser. ^^

I don't actually remember an episode where he wasn't depressed, though it's been awhile, so I could have forgotten.

Well, I got in the first column with Brian answering questions, so now to see if I can get into the rest of them. Anime hyper

Sidenote: I did start watching Chaos;Head again, and the protagonist is doing slightly better, though he really could do with taking a... Chill Pill... I think it's called. He freaks out waaaaaay too easily. And some of the techniques used in the show were rather interesting, like spoiler[the protagonist talking about always feeling like eyes were on him, and then turning around and staring into the "camera" area.]

Bu:Ru wrote:
Please, please, PLEASE do NOT kill me, but I have a question about furries, referring to what Brian said about them. Are they people who actually think they're people with cat ears or whatever in a different world, or are they just people who like animal features on a human being?
Because I don't see anything wrong with the latter. Confused

Neither. A Furry is a character who is essentially humanoid but with more than, oh, half-animal in features. The fans seem to do a lot of things like wolfpack RPs, in which instead of roleplaying "human" type characters, they do animals. They're... not very well-liked by many anime fans. As opposed to things like catgirls, which generally aren't considered furries and are rather popular.

Here's an example of furries in a webcomic:
http://www.bluecrashkit.com/cheese/node/1088

A Furry FAN is someone who likes the sort of thing indicated above. I like catgirls, bunny girls, spider-girls, mer-girls, dragon-girls, etc., but at about a half-human, half-whatever ratio, and I've never thought of them as furries, even if they do have fur. Anime hyper I think it's mostly the face that determines it... a snout of some sort is a good indicator of something being a Furry or not.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:55 am Reply with quote
Brack wrote:
You can.
Joost have a reasonable selection of anime from GONG & Funimation available to UK users.

Right now there is:

Basilisk
Black Blood Brothers
Cosmo Warrior Zero
Gun Frontier
Ikki Tousen
Izumo
Saiyuki
Shikabane Hime
The Slayers

I'm still a little annoyed at the status quo, and find little condolence in this week's article, but I suppose this is a small sign of hope.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KrisEllieOphi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Not sure if you've read them, Brian...although Bone is most excellent and one of my favorites as well. But I'd say Sandman, Fables and Y: The Last Man are easily in the top 10 best comic series.

And I'd like to note:
I hate Momo from Peach Girl too (well, I basically hated the whole show). But the writer forgot to mention one of the worst parts about her (and the show). It was mentioned how awful a role model Momo is ("I must change everything about myself so this guy likes me!"), but one of the worst things she does was left out. The whole "If your boyfriend won't believe you, throw yourself out of a window" shenanigan. What a lovely message.

BTW:
Jeff Smith has a new series called Rasl which is kind of interesting. It's no Bone, but if you're into time hopping, dimensional jumping art thieves, then it's worth a look.

Last edited by KrisEllieOphi on Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
idrinkmilktea

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:19 pm Reply with quote
The art of Casshern Sins reminds me of Ted Mckeever's work. The art in one of the ending themes of Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei was styled after Mike Mignola's art. It's possible Ai Yazawa's Nana was inspired from the foreign film "The Double Life of Veronique."
infinitebeauty

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:50 pm Reply with quote
I am not ashamed to admit that I love the superhero genre. I find it inspiring. The sadly-cancelled Blue Beetle has inspired me to be a better person. The way that Jaime is so open with his friends and family, how his greatest desire is to be a dentist so that he can help his family, and how upset he was that he couldn't save everyone from a hurricane has made me appreciate my friends, family, and life a lot more. The various Rogue's Galleries (especially Batman and the Flash's) have given me an interest in psychology. Sure, there are some awful storylines, authors, and artists, but the same can be said of manga as well. There are some lovely non-superhero books as well. I'd recommend My Faith in Frankie, American Virgin, and the aforementioned Fables.

...I'm a bit touchy when it comes to superheroes, does it show?

I dislike the split between Western and Eastern comic book fans, partly because I enjoy both kinds and partly because they both like comic books! Just formatted a bit differently and with different influences. The chances of a united nerddom are slim to none, though.

As for worst congoing experience, I suppose it would be the time that some boy latched on to me and began telling me about his Flash-animated, YouTube-aired anime made by his friend, which sounded like the mecha genre and Naruto had made a horrendously disfigured child together. And then he yelled at a vendor for having Doctor Who and 'Hello, My Name is Inigo Montoya, You Killed My Father, Prepare to Die' T-shirts ("Maybe if they said 'My Name is {insert anime character here}', this is an anime convention!").
eviltimes

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:31 pm Reply with quote
I had to stop going to conventions mainly because of all the geeky nerd fat stuck in my cleats at the end of every day, but most of all because of the cleaning bill! To get the smell out of my costume/clothing/boots was a tremendous dry cleaning bill. And to get it out of my body required the ministrations of three highly skilled and expensive talented ladies.

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.
xstylus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:32 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
A pretty good start. Brian's style is very distinctive and will take some getting used to.

That it will. Brian's style seems very friendly, almost cheerful. Zac, on the other hand, was... well, an a--hole. Frankly, Zac resonated more closely with my own feelings about particular issues and people, gave it straight, and said exactly what needed to be said with no pulled punches. Razz
OnanRulz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm confused; where are this week's TV anime listings? How will I know when Weathering Continent and the Pokémon movies air?!
Tamaria

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Europeans make comics too.

That needed to be said.

As for the manga cows, we don't really have those in the Netherlands. Reading in stores is not tolerated at all. However, there is something that annoys me: people who go manga-shopping in cosplay.

We have something called Boekenfestijn where they have some very nice discounts on books. It moves from convention to convention centre and they have some tables with manga as well. What do some people do? They wear their cosplay when they go there and the people who cosplay are usually bad cosplayers. 6 feet tall Edward Elrics with pants that are way too short and white socks. Sasukes with boobs. That kind. They draw a lot of attention to themselves and to the people who have nothing to do with them. People like me, who just want to fill their shoppin basket with insanely cheap manga and find a way to the register before the old folks decide it's time to go home and chaos/boredom ensues.

Anyway, I look forward to next week. Convention horror stories and lots of pictures of cute animals, what is not to like?
bj_waters

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:34 pm Reply with quote
No one has anything to say to my remark about C-Ko? Is she so unknown now or is everyone just silently agreeing with me? I figured SOMEONE would have said something about her by now. I guess that's what I get for being interested in anime that was made shortly after I was born. (Project A-ko for those of you who are still lost)
Maryohki

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:52 pm Reply with quote
...I just spammed Answerman with pictures of my cats >____>
Stretch2424

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:14 pm Reply with quote
C-ko was that ditzy, whining girl who the aliens thought was a princess (or something like that)? And who B-ko had an unhealthy obsession with? Yeah, she was pretty pathetic--kind of a fingernails-on-chalkboard sort of character. I wonder if the idea here is naming characters who were intended (by the original author) to be annoying, or ones who come off that way because of sloppy work by the anime makers.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Iron Chef wrote:
Not one, but TWO knocks against Makoto from School Days? Yikes!

Having been a hormone-fueled teenager a few years back, if hordes of hotties were throwing themselves at my loins, I'd imagine I'd have indulged as well. Yes, he's a rotten person for doing so, but I don't think it makes him a bad character. His characterization as a womanizer is well done, and IMO should exclude him from the discussion.

No, the question was to name the most ... downright dislikable character. The characterization was well done, but the intent was that you were supposed to hate him, making him perfect for this topic. Also, it's not just that he's a womanizer, but that he's a spineless one: he didn't break up with the girls he cheated on because he didn't want to deal with the confrontations that would involve.
kitsunelady

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Nice, a fellow bookstore employee. *high-fives* Anime hyper

Personally, I do like some American comics. I don't own many, but sometimes they're pretty to look at. And I usually love the movies they make out of them (Ironman was super-green and I have watched it multiple times).

I think the only comic I still have is a Tomb Raider/Witchblade crossover, though. It's a keeper. e.e RIP, Michael Turner. <3
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8