• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Trigun is not all that.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrackaJax

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Well, care to explain why? I've read the manga too, but I'd still consider the bebop anime superior to Trigun's manga.

*Edit: Kid, you just opened a whole can of you-bashing.
-----

Well, still consider the situation I posed as an example of Deus Ex Machina. Here's why:

1. Faye ran away from the church, with her hands still tied. Couldn't have carried Spike.

2. Jet was refusing to answer any calls from Spike or Faye.

So, how'd Spike get on the ship? The dream sequence certainly doesn't explain anything.

Last edited by CrackaJax on Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
jsyxx

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Cowboy Bebop succeeds where Trigun doesn't, because Cowboy Bebop isn't nearly as pretentious.
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:30 am Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
Cowboy Bebop succeeds where Trigun doesn't, because Cowboy Bebop isn't nearly as pretentious.

I see what your saying, CB doesn't get preachy where Trigun does (a little), still I think there are other reasons why Bebop is great.
jfrog

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Eh - it's been awhile since I've seen that episode. I always figured that since Mars is heavily populated, if someone fell out of a church window, they'd be seen. Or Faye frees herself, now that the guys holding her captive were dead. I dunno, there are lots of potential explanations for how he got back on the ship. But that's still just something unbelievable that should have been explained more. If an eagle came along and saved Spike, that would have been a deus ex machina.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Guiden

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:28 pm Reply with quote
I REALLY liked Trigun... Animation was great and Vash's a funny guy...
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:59 pm Reply with quote
CrackaJax wrote:
Example: Episode 5 of Bebop spoiler[After Vicious throws spike out of a 3RD STORY WINDOW, he should have died from the impact, if not the falling glass shards going into him.]

I can't believe I didn't catch this one before, I must have been snoozing. spoiler[Mars has only 3/8 Earth gravity, so Spike should be fine.]
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:22 pm Reply with quote
People people, Bebop is not a series that should be looked at as a realistic show or nitpicked about small details. If you want to see that, watch something else.
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 2:21 am Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
People people, Bebop is not a series that should be looked at as a realistic show or nitpicked about small details. If you want to see that, watch something else.

Word. If I was going to nitpick about CB I could find many things to complain about. Like "universal feng-shua" *sp?* or the whole gate system - how exactly does that work anyway? No, when I watch a great show like Bebop the drama and human story is far more interesting than the details.
CrackaJax

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:37 pm Reply with quote
ShellBullet wrote:

the whole gate system - how exactly does that work anyway?

Actually, I believe Watanabe or one of the other people from the show explained it. It's in the staff interviews on the 2nd dvd. With the gates, it compresses space to 1/24 normal size, but you and your transport are not compressed. So, you still move at your normal rate inside the gates (hyperspace) but are moving 24x faster in the real world.

Something like that.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:30 pm Reply with quote
ShellBullet wrote:
CrackaJax wrote:
Example: Episode 5 of Bebop spoiler[After Vicious throws spike out of a 3RD STORY WINDOW, he should have died from the impact, if not the falling glass shards going into him.]

I can't believe I didn't catch this one before, I must have been snoozing. spoiler[Mars has only 3/8 Earth gravity, so Spike should be fine.]

Okaayyy...

1) Mars has a surface gravity of 3.72 m/s^2

2) spoiler[Spike is falling out a 3rd story window.
For ease of calculations, let's assume that that equates to a drop of 10 meters, okay?

A little simple Newtonian physics (which I'll spare you) tells us that at Martian gravity, it takes 2.32 seconds to fall 10 meters - whereas on Earth, Spike would fall 10 meters in just about one second.

But, never mind the fact that he has a good long time to think about it before he hits - at what speed does he impact?

Well, that's easy... 2.32 x 3.72 = 8.63 m/s. That's 31 km/h, or about 19-20 mph.

That's about the equivalent of a two-story drop, on Earth. No laughing matter.]

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrackaJax

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:13 pm Reply with quote
and not to mention those rather large glass shards...
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:53 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
ShellBullet wrote:
CrackaJax wrote:

Okaayyy...

1) Mars has a surface gravity of 3.72 m/s^2

2) spoiler[Spike is falling out a 3rd story window.
For ease of calculations, let's assume that that equates to a drop of 10 meters, okay?

A little simple Newtonian physics (which I'll spare you) tells us that at Martian gravity, it takes 2.32 seconds to fall 10 meters - whereas on Earth, Spike would fall 10 meters in just about one second.

But, never mind the fact that he has a good long time to think about it before he hits - at what speed does he impact?

Well, that's easy... 2.32 x 3.72 = 8.63 m/s. That's 31 km/h, or about 19-20 mph.

That's about the equivalent of a two-story drop, on Earth. No laughing matter.]

- abunai

Well, no need to spare me the details as that's what I do for a living. Laughing If three stories is about 10 meters, then the drop on Mars would be the equivalent of less than 4 meters on Earth spoiler[(3.8 to be more exact). Certainly a serious fall, but significantly better than it could be. I know people that survived falls from about this height, a few broken bones to be sure, but baring falling neck first you would probably live. I think the point is that Spike was seriously injured and could have died, thus a 10 meter fall is believable for this senario.]

Last edited by ShellBullet on Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:19 am; edited 3 times in total
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Can we move this discussion to the "Realistic Anime" thread? Please?
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
Can we move this discussion to the "Realistic Anime" thread? Please?

Sorry, I just can get carried away. Your right that anime is to be enjoyed and not necassarily scrutinized. That is why I am leaving the "explanation" for the hypergate system untouched. Anime smile + sweatdrop
deathbringer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:49 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
I didn't think Cowboy Bebop, Wolf's Rain, Witch Hunter Robin or Outlaw Star were overrated. They're well done and they dersvered to be consider good by many people. Have you ever saw an anime that's not on AS? There are tons of bad one or just mediocre anime.

We watching the same shows? Bebop was mediocre, Wolfs Rain and WHR were just bad, but I thought OS was great. Yeah, I've seen lots of anime other then what's on AS, but the majority of bad anime I've seen has been on AS.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6