• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New FFVII Game Announced

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DriftRoot

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:56 am Reply with quote
Personally, I would very VERY much like to see a return of the FF8 characters and story line. FF7 additions are fine as long as they give the other games an equal chance to shine again. Square Enix is sitting on a gold mine with this wonderful series and to not develop them further is simply, IMO, asinine. I don't want to be playing FF30 decades down the road.

I hereby announce myself the first member of the Hot Dog Squad, a nonprofit group dedicated to revitalizing the Final Fantasy series as a whole with a return to the characters and worlds we already know and love (or love to hate).

LONG LIVE FINAL FANTASY VIII!!!
Anime_Freak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Jadress wrote:
Personally, I'm rather excited. FF7 was pretty much my first RPG, and I loved all the characters. But really, at least we're seeing a Final Fantasy movie come out that has an actual relation to game that most people like. ::Thinks of old early 90's FF OAV, FF:Spirits Within, and FF:U :: ... ::shudders::

I wish the mobile phone game could come out to the US.. or better yet, if they just made a port to PC for it.. but that's just me talking out of my butt.

I'm with Jadress on this one, FF:VII was my first RPG and I loved VII TO DEATH!!!! I was really pissed when SPOILER:spoiler[Sephiroth killed Aeris at the end of Disc 1] Why can't Sephiroth just die and accept defeat and quit reviving himself?! Mad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Izlude

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Heh well I'm not surprized at this announcement, the 7th Final Fantasy was (and still is) very popular in Japan.

I'd love to see a sequal to Final Fantasy Tactics though.
Jadress

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:30 pm Reply with quote
I agree. It's all fine and dandy to keep inventing new worlds and new interesting characters, but you're right- there is so much they can do still with the wonderful things they've already created.. and it's not like they don't have large followings that wouldn't support such ventures.. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop I am a consumer whore! ... (and how!)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Well, seeing FFX and FF7 get sequels, I know hope VERY VERY MUCH that FF8 will get a sequel since it's my favorite RPG of all time.
sinistertaco

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:05 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Well, seeing FFX and FF7 get sequels, I know hope VERY VERY MUCH that FF8 will get a sequel since it's my favorite RPG of all time.

That doesn't really seem too likely as FF VII is arguably the least popular of the 3-d Final Fantasy efforts (IX flies under a lot of people's radar's for some reason, but I've seen nowhere near the hate for it that I've witnessed for VIII.)
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:10 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:

Much agreed. Of all the FF 3-d games, FFVIII seemed to have the plot with the most potential, but extremely underdeveloped. Laguna backstory please. =/

FFVIII was indeed, a great game. Hell. One of the only ones to really break many of the general molds of a Final Fantasy game.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Animefreak08

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Izlude wrote:
I second this. I loved this game to death, one of the hardest games I EVER played. Considering alot of fans wanted a sequel there was a GBA game that was made, but it failed to meet my expectations. Also I agree with everyone that said FF8 needed more. It was one of my favorites in the FF line.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Really, I couldn't tell that with your name, Izlude, and all Wink
Seriously, though, there's a pretty good GBA game called FF: Tactics Advance. Just like the original tactics, but a much simpler story line, and more character/job options. I haven't had much time to play it with my new schedule at work, but so far it's every bit as enjoyable on the small screen.
Also, there are some other tactical RPGs on PS2 that have been getting praise - Disgea, Phantom brave, and La Pucelle tactics. These are all supposed to be pretty good, so if you don't have a GBA you might want to try picking up one of these.

FFVII was good, but its no FFTactics, or FFIII on SNES.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:15 pm Reply with quote
sinistertaco wrote:
littlegreenwolf wrote:

That doesn't really seem too likely as FF VII is arguably the least popular of the 3-d Final Fantasy efforts (IX flies under a lot of people's radar's for some reason, but I've seen nowhere near the hate for it that I've witnessed for VIII.)

Hate it or love it, I think the fans are pretty much split down the middle with their opinion of this game. I think some fans might not voice their love of the game openly as much though due to the bashing they recieve when they do admit to loving the game. *I and people who agreed with me as it being their favourite game were completely chewed out by FF7 lovers on a certian FF forum that shall remain nameless* Also, in defence for FF8's popularity, Square seemed to of thought the characters for FF8 were popular enough to get at least 2 in Kingdom hearts. The only other FF game to get characters in was 7, and the two latest creations from FFX Tidus and Wakka.

FF8 was the only game that had a story I absolutely adored. FF7, nice as it was ground breaking in RPG boundries at the time, truthfully it bored me in story when compared to FF8. I know FF7 fans will probably argue with me, but that there is the main argument of FF fans.

I doubt a movie will happen for FF8, but with a sequel game, well, they seem to be trying to cash in their whole FF series now. FF8 had great characters, a great love story, and like said before, a plot with a lot of potential. It didn't end as well as it might of, but it ended well enough in my opinion, and it left plenty open for a sequel.

When all is said and done, truthfully FF fans, which game was better in story, FFX, or FFVIII?

Also, I don't think I may be the only one to of noticed this, but is it just me, or does the majority of FF8 fans seem to be female?
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:42 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:

Also, I don't think I may be the only one to of noticed this, but is it just me, or does the majority of FF8 fans seem to be female?

You may be right, though it doesn't really apply to me.

Another thing really, is FF8 seemed to be the only game, possibly in the entire series, that emphasized a romance. This could have been a turn off to many FF fans or people in general (and not a very good reason to be turned off either...).

And another thing I just randomly thought of, but there is no way a Buster Sword is cooler than a Gunblade. Personally, I think the Gunblade is one of the coolest weapons in any game that I've ever played as of yet.

Gunblade > Buster Sword. =P [purely opinion people...]
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
darkhunter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:52 pm Reply with quote
I've played almost every RPG ever released here in the states and FF7 is probably the best RPG ever concieved. It got a ton of people who wasn't interested in RPG to actually play and love rpg. The material feature was way better than the "draw" feature. Plus the world of FF7 was really well done. spoiler[My favorite part Flash back part on the moutain path, using Sephiroth].

littlegreenwolf wrote:

FF8 was good, but the romance was kind of cheesy. Squall being the loner silent type is annoying at times. Even though FF7 didn't focus on romance, it had a intriguing and complex love triangle.
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:03 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
I've played almost every RPG ever released here in the states and FF7 is probably the best RPG ever concieved. It got a ton of people who wasn't interested in RPG to actually play and love rpg. The material feature was way better than the "draw" feature. Plus the world of FF7 was really well done. spoiler[My favorite part Flash back part on the moutain path, using Sephiroth].

Erhmmm... materia.

Personally, the battle system is one of the reasons I think FFVII is highly overrated. The materia system is no more than spell casting and summoning at a very very basic level. Many of the games before had similar or much better magic systems (mmmmm... magicite & espers.). FFVIII's draw system was probably one of the most unique methods of magic and summoning of heck, almost any RPG out there. And it worked pretty well too.

And about the depth of the world and making new RPG's, ther are a few good reasons for that. First off all, it was Square's entrance into the world of 3-D Final Fantasy, which was a major thing which attracted both hardcore fan and newcomer. It's natrual that the 3-d world attracted people, as it was decently good.
Ataru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:42 am Reply with quote
*Yawns* Let me guess. Final Fantasy VII-2. Confused Now how about Final Fantasy 1-6, 8-9, BUT that would be asking too much, then people will get upset, thus the fall of Final Fantasy. I'm happy that 7 is getting it's -2, even though I hate 7.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Wyvern

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:13 am Reply with quote
Remember back in the old days when the next three or so FF's would be in development at once, (in varying stages of course) and they all had different storylines? I think what may be happeneing here is that Square's always had an unwritten rule that they only do three FF's per system.

This isn't a bad policy, because ever since FFVII the series has prided itself on having incredible, envolope-pushing graphics, but there's only so much you can do on a piece of hardware before you have to graduate to the next one to offer the same level of pizzaz. With FFXII, they've probably hit the absolute limit of what the PS2 can provide. So until Sony sends out Dev Kits for the PS3, something's gotta pay the bills, and that means sequel, sequel, sequel!

Having said that, I hope Square remembers that there were other FF's beside VII. FFIX, for example, ended with a very obvious loose plot thread that just seemed to scream out for a sequel...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3