• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fate/Zero BD Box I's Extras Trailer Streamed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:40 am Reply with quote
from what i heard, even if they lower the price by 50%, the sales don't go up by 100%.

if it sells 100 units at $400, it needs to sell 205+(bluray disk are not free) units at $200.

you can get madoka eps (1-13) in bluray for $120 total. people still complain about it.

Last edited by Spotlesseden on Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:49 am; edited 2 times in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:44 am Reply with quote
Yep, and because it's projected for 50,000+ copies sold, there is no reason to lower the price.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:38 am Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:

Please indulge in this little mind experiment: Count how many anime titles you have bought in the last 12 months. How much did you spend? If the standard price for a 13 episode series was $400, how many would you have bought then?

Four last year. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, the Garden of sinners, Lucky Star, and DOG DAYS. Each cost me roughly $400. Aside from those I probably a few other movies and OVAs. I think $3000 or so spent falls into the average category of an anime patron. I don't have the desire to purchase every show imaginable. I only want a good handful that have brought something new to the medium (sinners) or have really connected with me (DOG DAYS). The patrons here purchasing Fate/Zero most likely think this way as well.

I'll be doing the same this year. I had a late purchase of Anohana (fabulous show I just had to buy subtitled or not), just got the new Gunbuster box (one of my all time favorites), and I'm looking forward to F/Z in a week. I'll probably grab one other series that has caught my eye and then the second cour of F/Z in September.
superdry

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:15 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:

I'd be buying less of what I want to own. Rather than 4-6 titles of what I'd like to physically own, I'd only get 1. I'm certainly not the only one who'd like to own more than a couple titles a year.

1 per year? 1 per season?

Quote:

But as I've mentioned before, the extremely high prices causes the majority of titles to bomb in Japan and leads to a huge difference between the handful of good sellers and the rest of the poor sellers and little in between.

Also, each season shows compete against each other for sales and while some shows might overlap fanbase not all of them do. There really is not much (if any?) evidence that for the "poor sellers" that they would sell more if the price dropped...maybe vol. 1 sales might be higher, but that's about it. It's quite possible that for a "poor seller" that on average only 3000 people did want to own the show, for example.

Quote:

And Japanese consumers feel the same way too. Why else would there be a robust reverse importation market and huge fears from the industry about it?

Any evidence that there is a "robust reverse importation market" in Japan? I know Amazon JP has US stuff for sale and one import site was barred from selling Funi stuff, but that's about it. I wonder how much/how well these "reverse imports" sell.

Quote:

Quote:
If Japan sees that American fans would gladly pay a little more for a good quality release in a reasonable amount of time, maybe prices can drop in Japan if US sales can be consistent. That's what I hope for in the future.

Aside the fact it's not just "a little more", that's not the way the market works. They'll keep on charging the highest price they think the consumer is willing to bear, for the minimal volume they need in a particular market.

It was called wishful thinking.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:14 am Reply with quote
Thing is they only make a limited amount of copies on the U.S side so it sells out at that price. Because the people who have the money buy it, they only make enough so people who can buy a first print get a copy pretty much.

Think of it this way they can sell 100-300 units of the set at $400 and make the same amount of money as they would on a standard release in Japan. They want to break even or match the output they get in Japan even if our model doesn't work like that.

Anyway I'm looking forward to the Tiger Dojo segments on the box even if I'm not buying the set any time soon.
omoikane

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:10 pm Reply with quote
something slightly more rational and with much less wishful thinking, hopefully.

The choice to agree on an agreement (in this case paying the $370 or what have you to buy a copy of 12-ep anime) should be made by weighting all your options. here are your options, really, and you can see pretty clearly that what makes this a sensible purchase depends on what you value:

1. do nothing. great option to me personally
2. whine on the internet, pretty good option, but you can do this any time anyway.
3. buy the thing via preorder. you have a few options even among the preorder choices, since there's a price gap buying from Amazon versus getting the translation booklet from RS, given the way the exchange rate is.
4. preorder it and then whine on the internet. i like this option because you get more mileage out of your purchase. it's great fun to troll people who think anime is doomed when people "buy into" "Aniplex's model."
5. buy it later. why do you want to do this, there are several reasons but it is an option, especially since nobody knows what the future holds.

BTW I value irony and humor.

I'm going with #5, mainly because I'm not really all that excited about the translation booklet (no CD drama translation is a big miss personally), and if I want to engage in some good o' piracy it is an option if I am desperate enough. If the thing sells out then it does. At any event I can always pick it up in the secondary market or hope for the best, should I feel the time has come. Especially since there's no indication this is going to be the one and only release Fate/Zero will get. Or even in Japan's region. Or that this limited edition release is all that limited (unlike Kara no Kyoukai's set).

Oh, the biggest reason to go with #5 is because I haven't even seen the second half of the show. There's a tiny chance that it might stink!

And by the way guys, a boycott only works if you are an existing customer. If you aren't going to buy any anime at this price point, you are not really a customer in the first place and your say/vote/whatever has little value. You probably shouldn't ask people who would buy it to not buy it if the purchase makes sense to them. That's just selfish and not really seeing the other side of the situation.
bhl88

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:13 pm Reply with quote
6. Watch it later on your computer and forget the physical media (legal stream).

I bought the Fate/Zero box and I'd be satisfied with it (hopefully).

KnK hasn't had a DvD release.... so I doubt Fate/Zero will have a cheaper release.
superdry

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:19 pm Reply with quote
bhl88 wrote:

KnK hasn't had a DvD release.... so I doubt Fate/Zero will have a cheaper release.

KnK did have a DVD release...just not in the US. Fate/Zero is also getting a DVD release in Japan, but for the rental market (I'm still not entirely 100% sure if Taiwan is also getting a DVD release either).

So, it is quite possible that Fate/Zero could get a DVD release, but with DVD sales becoming less and less relevant maybe not.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:19 pm Reply with quote
I hope they do something similar to what they're doing with Black Rock Shooter and release monthly singles later on. Or license it out to Funimation. That'd be cool too. It'd also be funny to see Fate/Stay Night licensed by Geneon, Unlimited Bladeworks by Sentai, and Fate/Zero by Funimation; it'd be like Ah My Goddess all over again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:58 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
I really don't see where the fear of this becoming a trend is coming from. One company tried a similar business model before, Bandai Visual, and failed. So far, we've had one expensive import release that was limited and sold out. It likely sold out in large part due to the fact that it was limited and many preordered it knowing they wouldn't get another chance.
Actually, make that three. Recently I found out about this set Rightstuf offered back in 2004 (Judging from the customer reviews.).
http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/T7OxBC2pJajm6O=pwi/browse/item/62207/4/0/0
So for expensive direct imports, you have that Tenchi Muyo! 10th Anniversary Set, Garden of Sinners, and now Fate/Zero. And we'll have a 4th when Fate/Zero 2 comes out, or maybe that might go to Durarara!! if Aniplex decides to bring that Blu-ray box over, so Fate/Zero 2 will be number 5.

Though Aniplex USA has worked out the kinks from Bandai Visual USA, and I doubt they'll fail as they're being more wise with their business decisions.
Spotlesseden wrote:
you can get madoka eps (1-13) in bluray for $120 total. people still complain about it.
Yup, especially since that's about how much it used to cost you during the singles era to own a 13 episode show. It's kind of like the complaints for the R.O.D. Blu-ray box.

Every single box set release (Which I've posted below.) for that show was priced at $200 for the MSRP (Still cheaper than the singles.), and this one mimics the Japanese one, but is priced much lower, and is actually cheaper than one of the box sets from Rightstuf years ago when it was still in stock.

The Blu-ray box however is the only set to offer both the OVA and TV series in one box set. So the Blu-ray box with the TV series and OVA is a better deal than those long OOP DVD box sets from Geneon.
http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/T7OxBC2pJajm6O=pwi/browse/item/66957/4/0/0
http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/T7OxBC2pJajm6O=pwi/browse/item/66763/4/0/0
http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/T7OxBC2pJajm6O=pwi/browse/item/89706/4/0/0
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:21 pm Reply with quote
I should work for Aniplex. I can think of all kinds of good slogans for them.

Aniplex USA. Anime for the 1%.
Aniplex USA. You can just forget about the USA at the end of our name.
Aniplex USA. Killing the R1 industry one $400 release at a time.
Aniplex USA. The most hated anime distributor since 4kids.
Aniplex USA. And you thought Bandai Visual USA was bad?
Aniplex USA. Produce a "nice" box and translated booklet for $5. Charge $400.
Aniplex USA. Why buy ten $40 releases when you can buy one $400 release?
Aniplex USA. If you don't want to pay $400 for this release, go watch the streams, you peasant.
Aniplex USA. Maybe we'll consider releasing this at a sane price. Someday. Maybe. If you're lucky. No, we won't.
omoikane

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:56 pm Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
bhl88 wrote:

KnK did have a DVD release...just not in the US. Fate/Zero is also getting a DVD release in Japan, but for the rental market (I'm still not entirely 100% sure if Taiwan is also getting a DVD release either).

So, it is quite possible that Fate/Zero could get a DVD release, but with DVD sales becoming less and less relevant maybe not.

yea, I am hoping one of the other Asian markets will get lucky. If only for their sakes.

The King of Harts wrote:
I hope they do something similar to what they're doing with Black Rock Shooter and release monthly singles later on.

I'm not sure what you mean by that, but BRS TV is getting a single Blu-ray box and it even has English subs. Kind of like what they did for the OVA.

I am guessing that is not what you mean, heh. At any rate the odds of seeing any kind of singles release for BRS is basically zero at this point.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:36 pm Reply with quote
strawberry-kun wrote:

Aniplex USA. Anime for the 1%.
Aniplex USA. You can just forget about the USA at the end of our name.
Aniplex USA. Killing the R1 industry one $400 release at a time.
Aniplex USA. The most hated anime distributor since 4kids.[...]

<Snipping>
_Maybe_ you had right name in that first sentence: Aniplex. Then you go on to bitch about Aniplex USA, instead.

Will it ever sink in (to someone who's trolling? Hah!!) that this is an Aniplex import being funneled through their American subsidiary (like Kara no Kyoukai and the Rurouni Kenshin OVAs/Movie), rather than an actual Aniplex USA release like Durarara!!, OreImo, Madoka Magica, and Blue Exorcist? The ROD TV/OVAs set was an Aniplex USA release, so if you must keep whining, then at least adjust your slogans to match the details about that set, rather than one of the imports.

I'm not saying that Aniplex USA is faultless, but I'm presuming that they weren't allowed to release OreImo on BD with commentaries. I would have bought a release like that, but wasn't interested enough in just a DVD release.
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:

_Maybe_ you had right name in that first sentence: Aniplex. Then you go on to bitch about Aniplex USA, instead.

Will it ever sink in (to someone who's trolling? Hah!!) that this is an Aniplex import being funneled through their American subsidiary (like Kara no Kyoukai and the Rurouni Kenshin OVAs/Movie), rather than an actual Aniplex USA release like Durarara!!, OreImo, Madoka Magica, and Blue Exorcist? The ROD TV/OVAs set was an Aniplex USA release, so if you must keep whining, then at least adjust your slogans to match the details about that set, rather than one of the imports.

My post was an exaggeration of how I feel, but my intention wasn't to troll. I was venting a little bit. Okay, more than a little bit, but I really hate how Aniplex does business with these imports as you can see.

As for the import/R1 release differentiation, it doesn't really matter to me. There are a whole mess of problems that concern me with these type of official imports. I'm worried that this is the only release that we'll see. Aniplex refuses to give any information on whether we'll see a real US release for these titles. We've had vague non-answers. That's about it. I'm also worried that a US release will be further delayed because they wouldn't want to devalue the import sets. The whole official US import thing may further complicate things since they have to worry about devaluing their US imports as well as their normal R2 releases. I do believe these type of releases do more harm than good in R1 as well for reasons already stated in this thread.

Last edited by strawberry-kun on Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:54 pm Reply with quote
strawberry-kun wrote:

They only hire Japanese. You might be able to get into some volunteer work at an event if you are of Asian decent, but other then that I wouldn't get your hopes up. I'm educated, have knowledge of the market, I can communicate in Japanese, have numerous references from their staff, and STILL couldn't land a job. Can't blame 'em though, I'm a whitey. It ain't my commodity.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5