• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Biglobe Poll: Most Overrated Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:45 am Reply with quote
Ani-watcher wrote:
Why is Madoka the most overrated, it was the best anime I've watched on that poll in my opinion. .

Just answered your own question.

I basically only clicked on the link to see where One Piece would be. Pretty glad it wasn't higher.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:58 am Reply with quote
Dear Japan, just because something is popular doesn't mean it's overrated. But Angel Beats is terrible and definitely overrated Smile
shabaz92

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:58 am Reply with quote
MasterKingJC wrote:
Guilty Crown is too damn low.

If a show is generally regarded as not being that good anyway, can it really be considered overrated?
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:04 pm Reply with quote
This is basically a Top 50 anime list.
Ahiru77

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:04 pm Reply with quote
MasterKingJC wrote:
Ahiru77 wrote:
Overrated means "Actually much worse than they give credit for."

Worse? It has nothing to do with something being worse.

Overrated - tr.v. o·ver·rat·ed, o·ver·rat·ing, o·ver·rates
"To overestimate the merits of; rate too highly."

That's what I meant, rate too highly.....as in "This is worse than you give it credit for."

Luffy, most people read or hear critics use "overrated" in a negative way so i think their gonna take it like that.

Unfortunately, i did too. Too much even. Laughing
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:05 pm Reply with quote
a list is just a list just become something is rated to be overated does not mean it is not good. People please keep this in mind will you.. now they should have ranked anime fan-bases. That is different story all together.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:12 pm Reply with quote
shabaz92 wrote:
MasterKingJC wrote:
Guilty Crown is too damn low.

If a show is generally regarded as not being that good anyway, can it really be considered overrated?

I can't think of anyone who isn't watching Guilty Crown because it's a fascinating trainwreck off of a bridge and onto an oil tanker below. The show is so completely nonsensical that it becomes the most entertaining and anticipated show of the season. I have no idea how they will possibly wrap the story up in four more episodes, so you're glued to every single detail and event, the show becomes addicting. It's crack.

Ahiru77 wrote:
That's what I meant, rate too highly.....as in "This is worse than you give it credit for."

Luffy, most people read or hear critics use "overrated" in a negative way so i think their gonna take it like that.

Unfortunately, i did too. Too much even. Laughing

It's more nuanced than "this is overrated so it's shit". It's more, "no, this is still a fantastic anime, but it's not the Anime of the Year: All Years like you believe it to be".

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
AnimeDuelist15

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:13 pm Reply with quote
I could not agree with number 1 more. But Toaru should not be that high on the list. Some anime on that list should not even be there.
Hawkwing

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm not saying i hate One Piece, but One Piece is one of the most overrated series in my opinion.
Jaymie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Ulinox wrote:
Bleach should be #1 on this list.

Mention Bleach on an Anime forum. Flame war. Mention Madoka Magica on an Anime forum. Ten pages of praise.

This list is pretty accurate IMO.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:25 pm Reply with quote
K-On had it coming.
blarg01

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:26 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
This is basically a Top 50 anime list of the last ~2 years.

fixed and end of topic
mike.motaku

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:35 pm Reply with quote
In this age of the Internet, *overrated* has come to mean "My opinion is the only one that matters & you are all idiots for disagreeing with me when I tell you I don't like the thing that you like."

In the real world, it's just a difference of opinion. NOT a universal truth.
Takamachi Ryoko

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Take a look at the list, hmm, no anime before 2010. Kids these days!

While I like Madoka, it's no surprise that it's ranked first, the whole show is way over the top. Wonder what those 1409 voters would say if they read Zac's review. I enjoy shows like Bakemono, K-on! but they too end up like Madoka. Especially K-on!!, it was too crappy for me. Mixed some slice of life comedy with fluffy moe subjects is not a good way, there's no stressful ordeal or anything. I'd rather choose Aria over K-on!! any day. But seriously, IS in the top 10, just how many people like it although it sucks so bad.

So GC's rank low even though it's as bad as IS? I do admit that many people thought it was awesome until now, but to think it's even lower than IS. At least it has the intense plot and animation.
Actar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Takamachi Ryoko wrote:
Especially K-on!!, it was too crappy for me. Mixed some slice of life comedy with fluffy moe subjects is not a good way, there's no stressful ordeal or anything.

Hm? I don't think every show needs to have a climax or stressful ordeal to be good or appeal to people. K-On! for me, is more about just enjoying the simpler things in life - watching the comedic and carefree interactions of a high school music club members and forgetting the stress of daily life. Sure, shows with complex plots, action and intrigue are great, but it's nice to have shows SOL shows like K-On!, Lucky Star, Ichigo Mashimaro, Nichijou and Azumanga Diaoh that you can watch and relax, you know?

...but I guess that's the difference between American and Japanese tastes for you. One focuses more on the narrative, while the other focuses more on the characters and their interactions.

Returning the topic at hand though, I think that overrated, in this context, is more about how much the fans hype up the shows than the actual quality of the show itself.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7