• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 'Live-Action Manga' to Spoof U.S. TV's 24 Show in Japan

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Already been spoofed in non-manga form. Cool
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:52 am Reply with quote
There was also a hilarious spoof in Yatterman 2008.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:19 am Reply with quote
I still can't shake the fact that Jack's Dub VA in japan is the voice of Shinigami-sama out of Soul Eater.
reanimator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:23 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
I still can't shake the fact that Jack's Dub VA in japan is the voice of Shinigami-sama out of Soul Eater.

Who cares? Most of American films and TV get dubbed into local languages and I don't know why American people get surprised by it. That is the best way for Hollywood films and TV reach the mainstream local audience. Come on, you should know that mainstream japanese wouldn't make big deal about voice difference between original American actor and Japanese voice actor.

It's not like we know verbal Japanese so well that we can judge that Japanese actor did good job on voice dubbing of a Hollywood movie.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:17 am Reply with quote
I meen that more in a "That's amusing" way, I wasn't bashing the actor.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:44 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:

You think, when we release Soul Eater here, we can get Keifer to dub his voice-over?

He already did the original Armitage ages ago, why stop there?
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:56 am Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
Conan-san wrote:

You think, when we release Soul Eater here, we can get Keifer to dub his voice-over?

Bluntly speaking, this pisses me off. 24 isn't and never will be a anime. This is a hardcore American action television series. This series isn't supposed to be funny or make anyone laugh.

I can only hope that this won't be a utter embarssment to 24 reputation. I enjoy 24 and enjoy manga, but the two shouldn't ever mix.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:39 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
prime_pm wrote:
Conan-san wrote:

Bluntly speaking, this pisses me off. 24 isn't and never will be a anime. This is a hardcore American action television series. This series isn't supposed to be funny or make anyone laugh.

I can only hope that this won't be a utter embarssment to 24 reputation. I enjoy 24 and enjoy manga, but the two shouldn't ever mix.

Sharply speaking, I liked the 24 parodies on South Park and Simpsons. Why not let some Asians have a little of the fun too?

Curiously, how would that transfer into manga? Kinda sounds like an Alan Moore situation.
Hi no Neko

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:26 pm Reply with quote
24 a big hit in Japan? Whodathunkit. It's always fascinating to see how well American TV does in other countries . . . I guess action shows like 24 are a lot easier for foreign audiences to "get" than comedy shows. I'm not sure how well the comedy in something like 30 Rock would translate. x3
Crystal

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:50 am Reply with quote
Hi no Neko wrote:
24 a big hit in Japan? Whodathunkit. It's always fascinating to see how well American TV does in other countries . . . I guess action shows like 24 are a lot easier for foreign audiences to "get" than comedy shows. I'm not sure how well the comedy in something like 30 Rock would translate. x3

Kind of nice to see this reaction. I was in Japan 3 years ago and I saw "24" DVDs at a rental store and I saw Kiefer Sutherland (as Jack Bauer) in a commercial there (which I'm sure is on Youtube; I think it's for CalorieMate).
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:18 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

I don't know why it would bother you when there are parodies of "Serious" shows all the friggin time.

I don't think it's absolutely horrible, and it's not going to Ruin 24, but perhaps increase its popularity.

(This is the first time I hear complaints about American shows being "changed"in Japan. I didn't like PPGz that much, but that's another story.)
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:03 am Reply with quote
OH NOEZ! A Nippon manga adaptation of a Hollywood live-action show?! This is gonna suck! And how dare they dub it for the mainstream audience! Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1