• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-12-19]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
giascle

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:06 am Reply with quote
Azumanga Daioh has an amazing soundtrack that for some reason, everyone tends to forget.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:43 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Still waiting on a Brave Story date after they put out the full novel, video game and horrible manga, but as of yet, nothing.

I'm guessing the lack of an anime release is because Brave Story seems generic as hell; and people would rather watch FMA.

Quote:
I remember hearing about ADV rolling out a whole line of BDs but ever since all I've heard are horror stories on the ADV front.

I imagine if ADV goes BD, it'll be for Eva.

Quote:
Ban Dai America are offering a few at their usual insane prices.

That's because no one would buy those products otherwise.

Quote:
I think anime and animation in general are one of the mediums that would benefit the most from HD encoding with all the jaggy lines and jittery pan shots that are all too apparent on dvd,

It might benefit from the medium, but it needs to be able to benefit from the market first. And outside of DBZ, people here are simply not buying the format. [An ironic thanks to TheDigitalBits.com for the link, btw.] The Pro-BD camp is going to try to spin it otherwise with
Dark Knight and Iron Man sales data, but those figures should be a lot higher, considering that players were slashed below profitability, and considering how many repeat screenings-particularly in IMAX-there were for those films. Don't you get it yet, people? BD is Hollywood's
own legalized Ponzi scheme.

Quote:
Hell, HDTV's are still only in little over a quarter of US homes.

And the only reason people are buying them at all is the government is forcing them to dump their old tv sets over some stupid signal conversion which only benefits cable companies, and not the public at large. Rolling Eyes [Thanks to crooksandliars.com for the link.]

Greed:
Quote:
At a con Clarine Harp at Funimation mentioned that doing a BD version counted as a separate licensing fee, which seems like a really bad idea on the part of the Japanese companies. I mean, if there is a chance to repackage some shows and make money off them again, then why hinder that?

I imagine it's because Japanese companies aren't making any real money on the product, too.
CruzMissile

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:33 am Reply with quote
best soundtrack ever?

Macross Frontier.

in previous years I would have said Last Exile or Cowboy Bebop, but now, Definitly Macross Frontier.
Kenotic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:49 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

And the only reason people are buying them at all is the government is forcing them to dump their old tv sets over some stupid signal conversion which only benefits cable companies, and not the public at large.

I hear this over and over, but it's simply not true. You could have a 50 year old TV hooked up to a $49 converter box (or $9 after the coupon - even less if on sale) and watch Over the Air TV to your heart's content. It affects no one with cable or satellite. No new TV needed.
reanimator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:08 am Reply with quote
Kenotic wrote:
GATSU wrote:

And the only reason people are buying them at all is the government is forcing them to dump their old tv sets over some stupid signal conversion which only benefits cable companies, and not the public at large.

I hear this over and over, but it's simply not true. You could have a 50 year old TV hooked up to a $49 converter box (or $9 after the coupon - even less if on sale) and watch Over the Air TV to your heart's content. It affects no one with cable or satellite. No new TV needed.

I don't know what's up with Gatsu's rant on government policies, I wish he could just stop. It's annoying and almost paranoid.

Anyway, my parents bought converter box and they canceled their cable service for good. Being non-English speakers, they don't watch broadcasts except international channel. They saved hundreds of dollars on cable bill.
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:41 am Reply with quote
CruzMissile wrote:
in previous years I would have said Last Exile or Cowboy Bebop, but now, Definitly Macross Frontier.

Macross Frontier does have an excellent soundtrack. Actually I was listening to it this morning on the way to the train station... and the evening before, on the way back...
I can assume that, someday, I will tire of it but for now I think I'm hooked. A large part of it, I think, is that I link the songs to the scenes where they take place - I don't think I'd like 'Bless the little queen' (paraphrased title) so much if it weren't for the link to the glorious scene where it was used in the show.

Quote:
I don't know what's up with Gatsu's rant on government policies, I wish he could just stop. It's annoying and almost paranoid.

I often skip over the username when I read posts here, but somehow I always know when I'm in GATSU territory.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:42 am Reply with quote
I am totally and utterly in agreement with CruzMissile, who beat me to it.

Macross Frontier. Oh yes. Stirring music, crafty little pastiches, odd little comic moments like the SMS song and 'carrots love you yeah' and beautiful performances from May'n and Megumi Nakajima (but especially May'n) it's absolutely fantastic.

And as Earth_Wyrm points out, you do tend to link the songs to the scenes - 'empty diamond crevasse' can almost reduce me to tears.

While I'm at it, I'd like to give a honourable mention to the Simoun soundtrack, especially its use of the Bandoleon (an Argentine cousin of the Accordian) on some tracks to give it a unique feel.

And the Aria soundtracks are just as relaxing to listen to as the anime is to watch.
Kenotic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:48 am Reply with quote
Sorry - I should have listed my favorite.

Bebop is great, and I bought the sheet music for someone a few years back. The Minnesota Twins play "Tank!" between innings, and I hear it on a local talk station as bump music. It seems to have made it into US pop culture, even in small way.

However, I listen to Haneone from Haibane Renmei even more. It's a gorgeous CD filled with peaceful, meditative music. It's kind of classical, but with unique instrumentation and always gets comments when I play it around friends.
reanimator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:57 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
The fact that we're seeing very little in the way of Blu-Ray Anime isn't too surprising, even if it is pretty sad. I mean, if there is a chance to repackage some shows and make money off them again, then why hinder that? The money would go into new licenses then, so it's not like there would be a huge loss. Then you throw in that one of the biggest complaints, with varying degrees of legitimacy, is that DVDs cost too much, and BD end up costing more. It's a shame, I'd really like to see more Blu-ray, but I think it'll be quite awhile before it happens.

On a somewhat related note, where is that Blu-ray version of Fullmetal Alchemist: The Conqueror of Shamballa? A trailer on an xxxHolic DVD mentioned it, and I haven't seen anything since. That is one thing that I would gladly pay to get on BD even though I already have the DVD.

Personally I really don't care much about new and old Anime titles coming out in BD format. I used to think that latest video format is good and all. And now I'm thinking that it's a waste. Putting down extra $10 just for better picture quality? I mean from collector's point of view, they will eventually release "collectors edition BD" in the future. The price maybe lower or may have higher level of remastering than current BD version. Eventually BD price will be down to current DVD price and some next generation video format will try to win the hearts and souls of media junkies.
Japanese are already repackaging older anime titles in BD format. Bandai Japan advertised release of Z-Gundam, Akira, Bubblegum Crisis and older titles on an Anime magazine.
Sony Japan is going to release Full Metal Alchemist BD movie as a part of the FMA Complete Collection on April next year. Let's just hope that our side does the same thing.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:09 am Reply with quote
As someone who lusts after the Singing Heart^2 CD boxset, I have to say best soundtrack goes to Kimagure Orange Road. Shirou Sagisu is a little under-appreciated, IMO.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:28 am Reply with quote
How this thread has made it this far with only a single person mentioning FLCL is beyond me. When I think of "Great Anime Soundtrack", it is one of the first to come to mind.

That said, I'm not big on background music. What I mean to say is, it doesn't usually stick in my mind. Now on the other hand, openers and closers definitely make a lasting impression. I am sorely tempted to post all of my favourites, but ANN has a policy against long lists, and I'm too lazy to explain each and every one of them. So, I'll just keep with my most favourites; Cruel Angel's Thesis (Neon Genesis Evangelion) for the opener and the Beautiful World (Kino's Journey) for the closer. The former sets the tone for the series, very epic and mysterious. Oh, and the name is just to die for. The latter is like Valium in Anime form; you can almost feel your soul being gently soothed and caressed.

Last edited by dtm42 on Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Steroid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:46 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Like everything else in life, it's about finding the right balance between staying healthy and motivated and socially engaged, and spending some quality time with yourself and the things that bring you comfort and joy.

But therein lies the problem. Both social engagement and finding balance require constant attention and maintenance. Ultimately, the goal of life should be to say that you no longer need think or make decisions, but if you simply do X over and over, you'll gain whatever it is you're looking for.
KanonAirHaruhiShuffle

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:00 am Reply with quote
i would say what anime titles i think have the best soundtracks but my username says it. i think the reason why most anime companies in america are not releasing anime on blu-ray is because they know that it wont sell as well as something like how the Dark Knight Blu-ray did and also Iron Man because either A. they know that a lot of anime fans haven't even purchased a PS3 or even a standalone Blu-ray player yet or B. maybe they are waiting for even more people to purchase a Blu-ray player so that they can release more on Blu-ray. plus the reason why i think that these Japanese anime companies charge an additional license fee to other countries to release an anime on blu-ray is because when these anime companies they agree to license a dvd version and if they released a movie on blu-ray in the future without saying so then thats probably illegal. i do agree they should be in the same license fee instead of seperate but people forget that even for an american company to even air the anime series on tv is even additional cost
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:30 am Reply with quote
Quote:
As a recent Blu-Ray adopter, allow me to say that Blu-Ray totally rules and is awesome. I, too, am now stricken with fear of buying anything on DVD should a superior Blu-Ray edition come along in the future.

If something's good enough to immerse me through standard DVD image quality, I would fathom that such a medium is still sufficient for the purposes of engaging with the story and characters as intended by the material's creators.
I've hardly watched any HD material at all, so I may not be in a position to question whether a higher definition allows one to derive even more entertainment from a given show or film, but all I currently have to justify buying expensive hardware in order to watch the pitifully low number of pricey Blu-Ray anime currently available is word of mouth. At this point, my scepticism has already kicked in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
VDZ

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:18 am Reply with quote
How is it possible that nobody has mentioned .hack//Sign yet? When criticizing the anime, people often complain about the slow pacing and lack of action...but everybody seems to agree that the music is just great.
There are just too many songs in the .hack//Sign soundtrack that I regularly listen to to not call it the best anime soundtrack ever.

Also notable are the soundtracks for .hack//Roots and Avenger, both of which were made by Ali Project and sound great.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7