• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dentsu to Create Industry's 1st Think Tank to Study Otaku

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:52 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Hannish Lightning wrote:
Great, I guess that means more moe loli pedo bullshit.
It's funny you think this is actually a problem.

No, it's funny you think that it isn't, because that's exactly what it means: more tightly focused checklist anime and manga.

The highly profitable in Japan "moe, loli, pedo, bullshit" doesn't sell to a mainstream audience in the West.

Quote:
"The think tank will analyze what becomes a megahit among otaku in order to develop new hits. Sankei's source at Dentsu said that if Dentsu can outline and categorize otaku "tastes," it can develop and anticipate "Made-in-Japan" hits both at home and throughout the world."

1) Since when has the Japanese anime and manga industries cared about "the world," when it's the homegrown Otaku--spending more on collectibles, media and junk, than they do on food--who are bled dry to keep the industry propped up?

The industry already panders to them, almost exclusively.

2) And since when have the tastemakers in Japan vs. The World ever agreed with each other? For every surprising mega-success like Pokemon, how many thousands of shows fail spectacularly to have the same impact commercially in the West or World as they do in Japan, or vice versa.

What hits outside of Japan is a happy accident/fluke--our culture and tastes are too disimilar.

To me, I see this as an exercise in futility. To reach the kind of success in foreign markets that would cause Japan to sit up and take notice (assuming they aren't marketing to kids) would mean designing content for a Western/World market, which history has shown, bombs in Japan because it isn't some pandering, checklist anime/manga.

Knowing that, I stand by my prediction: a tighter focus on Japanese otaku and more checklist anime/manga.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:53 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
No good can come for this, it's just going to lead to Dentsu producing the exact same series over and over again. You can't force a series or it's going to be a disaster.

Yet doing innovative stuff that is aimed at non buyers is a higher chance for financial disaster. Thats why you gotta make stuff aimed at the buying market, aka the otakus.

That just leads to redundant entertainment that doesn't stand out against each other. It would be like the American comic industry.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:56 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
No good can come for this, it's just going to lead to Dentsu producing the exact same series over and over again. You can't force a series or it's going to be a disaster.

Yet doing innovative stuff that is aimed at non buyers is a higher chance for financial disaster. Thats why you gotta make stuff aimed at the buying market, aka the otakus.

That just leads to redundant entertainment, that doesn't stand out against each other.

That may be true, but the anime industry couldn't survive if it didn't make this pandering stuff. Its safe since there isn't a large budget and its it will likely sell, and has a much higher overall ceiling in sales than other stuff.

They either have to completely change the price structure to make non otaku stuff profitable (and doing this is a massive risk, because if it doesn't work the entire industry might fold from mass losses), or you gotta focus on your main fanbase. For an industry that isn't very strong, you can't take big risks so focusing on the otaku is the way to go.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:23 am Reply with quote
Quote:
No, it's funny you think that it isn't, because that's exactly what it means: more tightly focused checklist anime and manga.

This assumes you know what the otaku think tank will agree upon. Which would also mean Dentsu shouldn't bother with this study, instead they should just hire you.

Quote:
The highly profitable in Japan "moe, loli, pedo, bullshit" doesn't sell to a mainstream audience in the West.

And you're under the delusion that statement is a meaningful revelation. Japanese shows pander to Japanese interests...shocking I know.

Last edited by ArsenicSteel on Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Banden

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:24 am Reply with quote
Hannish Lightning wrote:
Great, I guess that means more moe loli pedo bullshit.

Hannish Lightning wrote:
I am not a pedophile so this anime holds no interest for me.

Hannish Lightning wrote:
Maybe this will prove to anime studios that 9/10ths of every season doesn't have to be filled generic moe and loli anime.

Can we ban this one trick pony troll account yet? This guy's been going on like this for like 4 years. It's pretty old.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:40 am Reply with quote
I've never understood the whole "They should make anime for Westerners" mindset. The reason why I like anime is because its stuff you can't see anywhere else because Japanese culture is so much different. If I wanted to see some drama or action show, theres plenty of it on TV here... why should anime emulate that instead of being its own thing? I can't see the moe and ecchi stuff anywhere else, which is what draws me to anime.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:05 am Reply with quote
CareyGrant wrote:

There's currently 59 anime airing on Japanese television right now airing new episodes.

Please do me a favor and point out which shows you feel quality as this.

As I see it, maybe 2 or 3 can be classified as 'moe' and that's debatable.

It'd be nice if people could actually name the shows that are this 'moe crap' rather than making sweeping generalizations for a change. It'd make their opinions easier to take seriously and give off the fact they actually know anything about current anime.

RyanSaotome wrote:
I've never understood the whole "They should make anime for Westerners" mindset. The reason why I like anime is because its stuff you can't see anywhere else because Japanese culture is so much different. If I wanted to see some drama or action show, theres plenty of it on TV here... why should anime emulate that instead of being its own thing? I can't see the moe and ecchi stuff anywhere else, which is what draws me to anime.

Pretty much.

I think it just comes down to ignorance and entitlement.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:09 am Reply with quote
Looks like "Welcome to the NHK" was way ahead of it's time, then. Creepy.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:37 am Reply with quote
Remember, Dentsu is a giant advertising company - of course they want to know people's preferences, like Facebook and Google do.

And formula, formula works, for a time. Even Disney had a formula that served them well over a decade. Laughing
Rensie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:17 am Reply with quote
CareyGrant wrote:
doesn't sell to a mainstream audience in the West.

Anime and manga are intended for japanese audience non the west, the fact you download fansub doesn't mean they try to aim to this market.

Quote:
To me, I see this as an exercise in futility. To reach the kind of success in foreign markets that would cause Japan to sit up and take notice (assuming they aren't marketing to kids) would mean designing content for a Western/World market,

This make no sense at all, why they should design what foreigners like? Every country has a different taste and culture, so i don't see the point in make anime only for westerers. West is not the main market of anime and manga. West is a non-factor in the end and shouldn't be because if is be they have to make anime with western morals, aka crappy and brainless animation like american cartoons. No thanks.
Eternal September

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:29 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
CareyGrant wrote:

There's currently 59 anime airing on Japanese television right now airing new episodes.

Please do me a favor and point out which shows you feel quality as this.

As I see it, maybe 2 or 3 can be classified as 'moe' and that's debatable.

It'd be nice if people could actually name the shows that are this 'moe crap' rather than making sweeping generalizations for a change. It'd make their opinions easier to take seriously and give off the fact they actually know anything about current anime.

I agree with you, but I already tried to prove it this way, and it doesn't work. They will just start defining "moe" in such a generic way, that everything with young people with large eyes will fall into it.

Of course, with this definition, pretty much everything since Astro Boy would be moe, save for a few grimdark badass series. It's essentially just another word for "attractive style by japanese standards", but that is about as much of an ominous trend, as beautiful actresses appearing in movies.

If you point this out, they try to move the goalpost to something more specific than that, and they end up with a premise of K-on, but that format is so rare, that sports series, or even mecha series are more common than that, so why aren't THEY accused of threatening the industry, and being otaku-pandering?

If you point this out, they retort that the K-on format is more threatening because it's elements creep into every genre, that's just falling back to the first argument, that pretty much everything attractive is moe.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:33 am Reply with quote
Well, it's probably best to just lay all the cards on the table then.

Game and Sports Anime (15)
Battle Spirits H (Cards)
Cardfight Vanguard (Cards)
Chihayafuru (Cards)
Cross Fight B-Daman (Marbles)
Danball Senki W (Tabletop Miniature Figures)
Digimon X-Ros Wars Hunters (Monster Battling)
Duel Masters Victory (Cards)
Inazuma Go (Soccer)
Knight in the Area (Soccer)
Metal Fight Beyblade 4D (Tops)
New Prince of Tennis (Tennis)
Phi Brain (Puzzles)
Pocket Monsters: Best Wishes (Monster Battling)
Pretty Rhythm Aurora Dream (Figure Skating)
Yu-Gi-Oh ZeXal (Cards)

Mecha (6)
Aquarion Evol
Guilty Crown
Gundam Age
Lagrange
Last Exile, Fam the Silver Wing
Senki Zesshou Symphogear (No, I don't care if suits don't count as mecha)

Long-Running Boys Anime (10)
Beelzebub
Bleach
Detective Conan
Fairy Tail
Gintama
Hunter x Hunter
Naruto Shippuden
One Piece
Sket Dance
Toriko

Long-Running Girls Anime (5)
Smile Precure
Jewelpet Sunshine
Tamagotchi!
Tottoko Hamtaro Dechu!
Mainichi Kaa-san

Action/Drama/Horror (6)
Another
Black Rock Shooter
Brave10
Mirai Nikki
Persona 4
Shakugan no Shana III

Comedy/Drama/Romance (8)
Ano Natsu
Bakuman II
Natsume's Book of Friends
Daily Lives of High School Boys
Recorder and Randoseru
Amagami SS+
Kill Me Baby
Papakiki

Shorts (3)
Gokujyo (Comedy)
Poyopoyo (Comedy)
Sengoku Paradise Kiwami (Comedy)

Other (6)
Tantei Opera Milky Holmes II
Inu X Boku Secret Service
High School D'X'D
Zero no Tsukaima
Moretsu Pirates
Nisemonogatari

Everything that's currently airing in Japan (minus the Untouchable Quartet that is Sazae-san, Chibi Maruko-chan, Doraemon, and Crayon Shin-Chan) Other category exists because I'm not sure what to label those under (and even some under action and comedy seem shoehorned for me. I generally dislike categorizing anime since I think it unfairly stereotypes series into some preconception. Like Nisemonogatari; you could call it 'comedy' but it's simply so much more than just a 'comedy' series)

But still, even if we agreed those last 6 were "moe pandering" (which I wouldn't) 6 out of 60+ series is kind of silly to complain about, unless you're so close-minded you don't want any anime you don't like to exist, which kills the whole appeal of anime; variety and the fact there's something for everyone.

But yeah, with this list, I can't see why anyone would freak out even if Dentsu makes those 'evil moe anime', hardly an invasion or takeover of what we have. If you want to complain about anything hogging the numbers, try the sports/game anime, or the long-running boys stuff (but even then, you got lots of variety in those 'genres')
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:51 am Reply with quote
@TitanXL

Thank you for that. I've been trying to point that out too, but am too lazy to categorize a list every. single. time. whiners/haters bring it up. Likewise the whole "moe or fanservice sells/dominates/flood charts" no, it doesn't, somehow people don't see how many fail (same with any other genre).
Eternal September

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:02 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Well, it's probably best to just lay all the cards on the table then.

Battle Spirits H (Cards)
Cardfight Vanguard (Cards)
Chihayafuru (Cards)
Duel Masters Victory (Cards)
Yu-Gi-Oh ZeXal (Cards)

*snickering*

TitanXL wrote:

But still, even if we agreed those last 6 were "moe pandering" (which I wouldn't) 6 out of 60+ series is kind of silly to complain about, unless you're so close-minded you don't want any anime you don't like to exist, which kills the whole appeal of anime; variety and the fact there's something for everyone.

But yeah, with this list, I can't see why anyone would freak out even if Dentsu makes those 'evil moe anime', hardly an invasion or takeover of what we have. If you want to complain about anything hogging the numbers, try the sports/game anime, or the long-running boys stuff (but even then, you got lots of variety in those 'genres')

Also, it might be worth pointing out, that neither these last 6, nor any of the more fanservice-ridden from the earlier groups, are excessively popular compared to the others.

Despite the stereotype that "sex sells", and that "those creepy otaku only care about shallow pandering", in practice, the most financially successful series are also the ones that western fans tend to respect (whether or not they have fanservice), while boob series, eroge adaptations, generic cute-girls-slice-of-life series, and shana-clone light novel adaptations, are all trending towards the bottom of the sales lists.
Ryvius213

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:16 am Reply with quote
Although excessive pandering isn't necessarily the best way to go about it, I would also like to say that excess pandering rarely actually succeeds, and if they do, it's usually a mild success where the creators invested in a niche audience and got just that.(i.e. High School DxD) Regardless of similar elements between successful series, most of those similarities are only superficial at best, or are subtle things here and there that appeal to audience preferences, not so much "give these characters big eyes and people will like them! Oh, and maybe a harem too!". Market studies are never that simple, and most of the time actually seek out why certain elements appeal to people, not what those elements are. And the reasons are almost always relatively abstract concepts that give a lot of room for creativity.

I'm starting to get the impression that people think KyoAni represents the majority of the anime industry, or that generic "moe loli bullshit" succeeds all the time in Japan. But that term is not only insulting; it is also painfully broad. A lot of the times, the moe elements are superficial at best, and say little to nothing about the actual plot or pieces that go into constructing the series. Don't try to tell me that Angel Beats! and Strike Witches are generic, or worse, similar to one another. I would even argue that while some superficial elements can give creators a slight boost, it's actually up to the development team whether a series succeeds or not, not a generic checklist of cliches to follow for free money. Do note that some of the vastly successful anime, despite having moe elements, are also quite unlike any of their competitors the vast majority of the time. It's probably not possible to say that any two successful "moe loli" series are really similar.

Also, don't try to make yourself sound like the victim by saying they don't make anime you like anymore. In truth, only people with relatively(correction: really) broad tastes are really happy season after season. If you're demanding more series that appeal to the mainstream, I'd hate to say it, but you're probably not in the mainstream. Believe it or not, series that are completely out of this world and super deep or "Eva-esque" aren't mainstream at all, and the more successful ones all have relatively mundane elements that garner mainstream interest.

Last edited by Ryvius213 on Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:51 am; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7