• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dentsu to Create Industry's 1st Think Tank to Study Otaku

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mune

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:55 am Reply with quote
Well, the anime market in is about $2 billion in total per year.

The problem is that the costs of the production and distribution versus sales are killing the industry. These companies are realizing that the production and distribution are expensive and the sales are slim.

This is them trying to analyze their fans to see what they are wanting for distribution, how they consume their anime, and why they buy. Essentially, it's market research.

At least it is better than having the fans being studied for psychological/sociological research. Which this has been done after fans complained that they did not want their favorite manga/anime series analyzed and dissected.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Production and distribution costs are now killing the industry. Awesome.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:24 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:

Ermat_46 wrote:
On-Topic: If you can know your customers better, you can exploit them better! I doubt that the industry really cares about otakus.

Well duh, they aren't doing this for charity. Furthermore, every person and business wants to "exploit" their customers

I'm surprised people didn't find this kind of mentality kind of disturbing.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:26 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
I've never understood the whole "They should make anime for Westerners" mindset. The reason why I like anime is because its stuff you can't see anywhere else because Japanese culture is so much different. If I wanted to see some drama or action show, theres plenty of it on TV here... why should anime emulate that instead of being its own thing? I can't see the moe and ecchi stuff anywhere else, which is what draws me to anime.

Strange, I got into anime because it wasn't derivative bullshit, and then I watched as it fell and became derivative bullshit.

I like Ecchi and Moe as well, but it's getting ridiculous. We haven't had an amazing anime since Gurren Lagann...
Ryvius213

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

I'm happy season after season as I don't see what I want to see in anime but I see it for what's there; Watch five shows of everything and go from there.
I'd say that's having fairly broad tastes. Mind you, I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but there are still hordes of people complaining about lack of "mainstream" anime because they think their tastes are what everyone else likes, and also because a lot of them tend to, ironically, ignore more obscure series.

Quote:
But the whole issue/topic/overuse/misuse of "pandering" is really starting to bother me, espcially in the thread which has so many posts that start with it.. Shonen/shoujo isn't just a category, they label series that are tailored to meets the expectations and desires of the target audience. Such that, a shoujo romance isn't the same as a shonen romance. These shows pander to their respective audiences, it's the point of having target audiences.

I just want to see if I got this right: If you don't like it, it's "pandering"; if you do like it, it's "anime"? Or am I oversimplfying it?
Perhaps I'm using the word "pander" too loosely; I fully acknowledge that there are "pandering" elements in many, if not most series, even the ones I enjoy. There are people who do think the way you put it, though. But I would argue that it's easier to pander to that minority crowd looking for strange, out-of-this-world kind of series. But whether or not the series will actually sell well is another question.

Quote:
And that brings me to the problem with this study: Oversimplication. Sure, every producer wants a magic bullet so they can kill the dreaded beast known as "failure". It's same all over. But even with a target audience in mind...

Oh hell, I'm repeating Bakuman.

Anyway, what they want to simplify isn't the audience which is the point of the studying Otakus {What will get them to watch and buy our merchandise?} but the creative process {How do we do it easy and as cheaply as possible? How do we become instant successes?}. They'd probably be better off studying successful anime producers, writers and directors rather than asking "Otakus, what do they want?". For one thing, I'm pretty sure Otakus don't want to be a "they" or "them". Each otaku is unique to his own tastes or I think that's how they want to see it.

. . .

So, this study has "instant fail" all over the place.
Market studies are never that simple, though. Most of the time they're done to look more into deeply-rooted reasons for why people like some series over others, not superficial elements such as moe or fight scenes, etc.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
configspace wrote:

Ermat_46 wrote:
On-Topic: If you can know your customers better, you can exploit them better! I doubt that the industry really cares about otakus.

Well duh, they aren't doing this for charity. Furthermore, every person and business wants to "exploit" their customers

I'm surprised people didn't find this kind of mentality kind of disturbing.
I know - a great disrespect for the language is a dangerous thing. You can't "exploit" people! You can exploit labor they've contracted to give you, exploit your knowledge of their past demonstrated and reported preferences and you can exploit their trust to cheat them - but you can't exploit a people. In this case, they want to gather knowledge to exploit to deliver a product more people want - an unambiguously good thing.
Chagen46 wrote:
Strange, I got into anime because it wasn't derivative bullshit, and then I watched as it fell and became derivative bullshit.
Everything's derivative bullshit. You were simply unfamiliar with what they used to derive from.
Quote:
I like Ecchi and Moe as well, but it's getting ridiculous.
Except it's been established that ecchi and moe aren't at all that common. At best they've simply carved out a regular niche for themselves.
Quote:
We haven't had an amazing anime since Gurren Lagann...
If you want that sort of constant over-the-topiness, be prepared to wait a long time. There are plenty of amazing shows if you broaden your horizons. TTGL never got me as worked up as Ben-to did, for instance.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:22 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Production and distribution costs are now killing the industry. Awesome.

Let's have a drinking game. Everytime someone says "killing the industry", I'll take a shot.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

*coughShinMazingerZcough*
*coughNanohatheMoviecough*

But seriously. GL wasn't amazing. It was fun but it wasn't amazing.

Quote:
Everything's derivative bullshit. You were simply unfamiliar with what they used to derive from.

Best comment in this thread bar none. I've got the biggest grin on my face after reading this. Tell it like it is.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
I'm happy season after season as I don't see what I want to see in anime but I see it for what's there; Watch five shows of everything and go from there.

I'm also happy each season. I like a variety of shows; from Qwaser to Pocket Monsters. I don't really have 1 or 2 genres I only exclusively watch or anything, I just watch shows that I find enjoyable and good. I try to sample everything. Out of the list I posted, I'm watching at least 3/4ths of the stuff; dropped a few that didn't hold my attention like Cross Fire B-Damon, Chihayafuru, Toriko, and Daily Lives of High School Boys. But otherwise, lots of stuff for me to watch. (And maybe I'm just a bitter old guy

Chagen46 wrote:

Didn't you say you got into anime only 2 years ago?
eyeofthetiger

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Banden wrote:
Hannish Lightning wrote:
Great, I guess that means more moe loli pedo bullshit.

Hannish Lightning wrote:
I am not a pedophile so this anime holds no interest for me.

Hannish Lightning wrote:
Maybe this will prove to anime studios that 9/10ths of every season doesn't have to be filled generic moe and loli anime.

Can we ban this one trick pony troll account yet? This guy's been going on like this for like 4 years. It's pretty old.

THANK YOU
This is so long over due, its not even funny.
dragon695

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Ah nippon, how you never cease to amaze me. I would comment more extensively, but it isn't worth the effort. It just means more shitty anime, be it moe or not.

Also, I think most people who say they hate the over abundance moe mean they hate that moe elements have invaded otherwise non-fanservice shows. I think Brave10 is a perfect example of this, where most people either love it or hate it based on the very moe female lead despite the show being more oriented towards action/adventure. Arguably, there are other elements that make the show good or bad, but most of the likes/dislikes I have read about center around that one character.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:56 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
The otaku think tank isn't for marketing to Westerners or World wide tastes.

The article must be in error then:
Quote:
The think tank will analyze what becomes a megahit among otaku in order to develop new hits. Sankei's source at Dentsu said that if Dentsu can outline and categorize otaku "tastes," it can develop and anticipate "Made-in-Japan" hits both at home and throughout the world.
Shiney

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:09 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
So you're saying there's a variety of genres that reach 10k+ sales per volume. That's good to know. Now can you tell me how that is relevant to; "the most financially successful series are also the ones that western fans tend to respect..." because, again, I fail to see how this data supports that claim...

ROFL !

Did you even bother to look at the list of 10k + average sales ...

Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica / MULTIPLE gundam season / Code Geass / Macross Frontier / Full Metal Alchemist / Persona 4 / Initial D 4th Stage / Tiger & Bunny / Fate/Stay Night / Hetalia Axis Powers / Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann / Koukaku Kidoutai (Ghost in the Shell) 2nd GIG / Durarara!! / Steins;Gate / Koukaku Kidoutai (Ghost in the Shell) SAC / MULTIPLE gintama season / Death Note / Tsukihime / Aria / Ao no Exorcist / Mononoke / Bleach /  Darker Than Black -Ryuusei no Gemini- / Natsume / Mushishi ...

I guess all those show are otaku moe crap, right ? None of those are highly regarded here in the west.

BTW of all the echi / boobs show you listed in your earlier post only 1 sold over 10k+ on average, Queen's Blade: Rurou no Senshi. Are those show successful enough to turn in a profit ...sure, but they are far from being big hit.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But seriously. GL wasn't amazing. It was fun but it wasn't amazing.

TTGL isn't just the best anime I have ever watched--I'd wager it's the best TV Show I've watched.

Anyone who says it isn't anything short of amazing is wrong. WRONG.

We've never had another anime even touch TTGL since. And that's pissing me off. I know it's possible, but selling out to Otaku fills the bank account quicker...
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:34 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
ArsenicSteel wrote:
The otaku think tank isn't for marketing to Westerners or World wide tastes.

The article must be in error then:
Quote:
The think tank will analyze what becomes a megahit among otaku in order to develop new hits. Sankei's source at Dentsu said that if Dentsu can outline and categorize otaku "tastes," it can develop and anticipate "Made-in-Japan" hits both at home and throughout the world.

That depends on if you think Dentsu actually means it because anyone can clearly see there's a huge difference in Western taste and Japanese taste. In Japan Redline was a failure but in America it sold really well. Shonen series also tend to sell better in the west while Gundam series haven't done well here in about a decade.

Sunrise claimed that they wanted their anime to be successful in the west but soon after that Bandai shut down their american operation and then announced that they would simply import all of Sunrise's anime from now on.

I should also point out that the idea of americans hating boob shows is a lie, both Sekirei series sold out their initial printings. I think you need to sell the series in a certain way (imagine if Queen's Blade had a trailer like Sekirei's trailers).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7