• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dentsu to Create Industry's 1st Think Tank to Study Otaku

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LaFreccia

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure if you guys are still talking about the article or not, but I think a lot of this talk about disc sales represents an assumption that may not be valid (I'm not saying it is Invalid, I'm just pointing out that it is an unexamined assumption). The Dentsu think tank is going to study Otaku tastes, but they may not be trying to maximize disc sales. They may look, for example at the sales of figures. and pillow covers, and wall scrolls, and all the other things they can sell.

Someone said earlier that he problem was an imbalance in costs versus the money they pull in in sales, but there are other ways they monetize the franchise. We don't really know how they will be judging a successful show, or what they have defined as an "otaku".
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:08 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
ArsenicSteel wrote:
The otaku think tank isn't for marketing to Westerners or World wide tastes.

The article must be in error then:
Quote:
The think tank will analyze what becomes a megahit among otaku in order to develop new hits. Sankei's source at Dentsu said that if Dentsu can outline and categorize otaku "tastes," it can develop and anticipate "Made-in-Japan" hits both at home and throughout the world.

I read that, I even commented on it myself. I just think that bit is a little misleading and is being taken the wrong way by a few people in this thread. I would appreciate if you can explain to me how a panel of Japanese otaku will be able do what the article claims.

Shiney wrote:
Did you even bother to look at the list of 10k + average sales ...

Well I've looked at many sales lists on ANN. I'm not to sure if one of those is the list you're referring to. Let me also remind you that the person I was conversing with was not just referring to moe shows and I never said that all mega-hit shows were more. What I've said was the mega-hits are a mix of genres with no apparent trend or tie-in to Western respect.

Quote:
BTW of all the echi / boobs show you listed in your earlier post only 1 sold over 10k+ on average, Queen's Blade: Rurou no Senshi. Are those show successful enough to turn in a profit ...sure, but they are far from being big hit.

Honestly I came into that conversation where the guy was talking about financially successful anime and I provided anime that were financially successful. The guy then re-qualified 'financially successful' to mean 10k+ units per volume. So don't go holding the anime I listed to a qualification I was unaware of at the time.[/quote]
durask

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:00 am Reply with quote
LaFreccia wrote:
I'm not sure if you guys are still talking about the article or not, but I think a lot of this talk about disc sales represents an assumption that may not be valid (I'm not saying it is Invalid, I'm just pointing out that it is an unexamined assumption). The Dentsu think tank is going to study Otaku tastes, but they may not be trying to maximize disc sales. They may look, for example at the sales of figures. and pillow covers, and wall scrolls, and all the other things they can sell.

Exactly. Just like with Western cartoons, associated merchandize (toys, Happy Meals, whatever) is a major source of revenue, sometimes dwarfing revenue from the actual movies/TV series (Star Wars is a great example).

For example, if you could figure out a way to know your market better you could figure out how many sales of PVC figures, nendoroids, mousepads, body pillows you can expect out a particular title, which would stramline production, distribution and maximize profits.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:03 am Reply with quote
The fact that series will be green-lighted based on how many boobie mousepads they can sell is just plain sad.
durask

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:31 am Reply with quote
The more successful the industry, the more likely it is to take creative risks, so I see nothing wrong in trying to maximize profits.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:50 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
The fact that series will be green-lighted based on how many boobie mousepads they can sell is just plain sad.

You forgot body pillows, Dentsu needs to know which characters fans want to cuddle with.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:39 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:

You forgot body pillows, Dentsu needs to know which characters fans want to cuddle with.

Don't forget those beach PVC figures. They're always great.
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:08 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Don't forget those beach PVC figures. They're always great.

Madoka proved that you don't need flat moe and one-dimensional anime to make flat moe and one-dimensional merchandise.
jl07045

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:09 am Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
Madoka proved that you don't need flat moe and one-dimensional anime to make flat moe and one-dimensional merchandise.

No, Eva proved that.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:17 am Reply with quote
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:38 am Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
Juno016 wrote:

No, Eva proved that.

No argument here. Though I also stand by my stateme--HOLY CRAP. Nekomimi Asuka and Rei? It doesn't matter how stupid an idea that is. It's so funny, I have to get them now. .____.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:18 am Reply with quote
No one is talking about "database animals"? Did Fractale do that much damage to Azuma's reputation?
Actar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:21 am Reply with quote
Woah, there are honestly some really interesting points and nuggets of brilliance have been presented presented in this thread.

In the end, it all boils down to cultural differences between Japan and the West, diverging definitions of what moe and Otaku pandering mean and personal tastes and opinions being mistaken for fact.

Shiney wrote:
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica / MULTIPLE gundam season / Code Geass / Macross Frontier / Full Metal Alchemist / Persona 4 / Initial D 4th Stage / Tiger & Bunny / Fate/Stay Night / Hetalia Axis Powers / Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann / Koukaku Kidoutai (Ghost in the Shell) 2nd GIG / Durarara!! / Steins;Gate / Koukaku Kidoutai (Ghost in the Shell) SAC / MULTIPLE gintama season / Death Note / Tsukihime / Aria / Ao no Exorcist / Mononoke / Bleach /  Darker Than Black -Ryuusei no Gemini- / Natsume / Mushishi ...

I guess all those show are otaku moe crap, right ? None of those are highly regarded here in the west.

1. Shows that pander to Otaku need not be 'moe'.
2. All the above shows pander to Otaku in one way or another.
3. There are 'moe' elements in all of the above shows.
4. No one said that Otaku pandering shows cannot be popular in the West.

Hell, technically speaking, Anime itself is considered a niche Otaku thing anyways.

dm wrote:
No one is talking about "database animals"? Did Fractale do that much damage to Azuma's reputation?

Ooh, Narrative Consumption and Database Consumption huh? Yeah, pretty much explains how Anime is consumed today - people focusing more on the individual characters and the 'database' of moe elements. Though in the West, I gather it's still narrative consumption based?
omoikane

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:41 am Reply with quote
dm wrote:

this is the wrong crowd for that dm, you might be better off going to twitter or something.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:34 pm Reply with quote
This is interesting. I wonder if this think tank is going to really help the industry, but if this work I'm all for it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7