• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Gad Guard Robot Adventure Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DFBTG

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Yippee...another show I couldn't care less about. Except for this series can't possibly suck any more than Ikki Tousen. Whatever though. There's 8 more and I'm hoping that at least one won't disappoint me.
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Gad Guard isn't that great a series ... I was getting bored with it about halfway through the second DVD ...
bci110

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Jedi Master wrote:
Calculusman wrote:
Yeah, I probably would have announced a reasonably big title first (say Last Exile) and then maybe gone into some of the lame ones, just to get off on a good foot.

Last Exile was one of the lame ones. I don't get why people keep referring to it as one of the big titles.

Could be because Last Exile was Gonzo's 10th anniversary project. Plus it had a TV run on G4 a few years ago (that's actually how I discovered it). I remember they ran a Last Exile marathon during New Year's Day not too long ago.
GeneralArrow

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Is this show really that good? Why waist there time on something that is several years old? I'd much rather see them license something newer.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:21 pm Reply with quote
GeneralArrow wrote:
Is this show really that good? Why waist there time on something that is several years old? I'd much rather see them license something newer.

New doesn't mean better.
I am surprised at these 2 in so far as they usually seem to be among "worst anime" threads (someone always hates them). I didn't get past the first dvd of Ikki &, though I have all of GadGuard(bought thru the $4 Geneon sales), it sort of meanders more than it could & shoots for more than it delivers. It probably would have been tighter as 13 eps.

Forget all the stuff that's never been licensed that I've been hoping someday would be (Meine Liebe, Gintama, etc) there are a couple titles I've been hoping would make it out of this last season (Kuroshitsuji for one)
bci110

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:28 pm Reply with quote
GeneralArrow wrote:
Is this show really that good?

Here's Carlo Santos' review of Vol. #1 he wrote back in early 2005. Pretty much in par with what I though of the entire series, especially his views about the story.
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:24 pm Reply with quote
AstroNerdBoy wrote:
This also looks like a true license-rescue. The previous Geneon distribution deals had Geneon's name and logo displayed on FUNimation's page for said title (Nanoha for example) but no such thing here.

Yay me. I was right.

Jarmel wrote:
Another day another fail. I hope Funimation doesn't wait till too long to announce a show I actually care about. They should probably have announced the rescues earlier and just do the 5 new shows on individual days. Overall this is amazing underwhelming and if we don't even get 5 then I call this event overall a fail.

While neither of these announcements do anything for me, I'm sure there are people that are quite excited by this. Most anime announcements by any company do nothing for me these days, but that doesn't make them a "fail."
Jarmel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:44 pm Reply with quote
I highly doubt either of these will sell remarkbly well or sell close to a new license such as Sayonara, School Days, or what have you. A majority of people either already have the DVDs or don't care. There might be a small fraction that want the DVDs but neither are highly demanded titles, therefore 'fail'.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:09 pm Reply with quote
If they continue to license Geneon's mediocre crap, they'll go the way of Geneon in due time.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Though both these series aren't new, I have a feeling that Funimation is going to reveal possibly newer series towards the end. I also have a feeling that the new Evagellion movie might be licensed as well.

Funimation probably had spent time figuring out which series to license and which not to license. Because Funimation licensed some of the Dragon ball series and other series I've enjoyed past and present, I am sure whatever happens will happen because of what fans want to watch these days.
MakieSasaki

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:37 pm Reply with quote
which clue which they left on the website, hinted towards Gad Guard?

I got the itchy toes, Ikki Tousen
bayoab

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:03 pm Reply with quote
MakieSasaki wrote:
which clue which they left on the website, hinted towards Gad Guard?

I got the itchy toes, Ikki Tousen

gadget called the veggie guardian
Xanas

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:54 pm Reply with quote
lheiskell wrote:
Every show is a big deal to someone. Some shows have large audiences, and some shows have small audiences. We let each show get their own spotlight.

Lance
FUNimation reindeer wrangler

I'm not disagreeable to the mentality here, actually I think people are being a bit harsh in general. That said though, I'm hoping that nothing is being licensed that's still readily available (like Last Exile) just because I'd like to see some more new things.

I'm also wondering if these are all going to be true licensing deals (which would eliminate Kadokawa distribution announcements such as Rental Magica or Spice & Wolf). That's not saying there isn't anything I wouldn't like to see that's unlicensed by anyone yet, there is still a few things but most of them are new enough I doubt Funimation is looking at them yet (though I think this Soul Eater show is new, I haven't checked it out).
Animegeek86

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:18 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
If they continue to license Geneon's mediocre crap, they'll go the way of Geneon in due time.

Ok you may be on to something, but we still got other days to go and lets pray that they save the best for last, like get the Carcaptor Sakura license during the days. I would love that to happen.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Though both these series aren't new, I have a feeling that Funimation is going to reveal possibly newer series towards the end. I also have a feeling that the new Evagellion movie might be licensed as well.

Funimation probably had spent time figuring out which series to license and which not to license. Because Funimation licensed some of the Dragon ball series and other series I've enjoyed past and present, I am sure whatever happens will happen because of what fans want to watch these days.

Do you ever read anything anyone else posts? We already know they're gonna be licensing the Eva movie, it was in one of the clues.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5