• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Here We Go Again! What Manga Do You Want To See Licensed?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:07 am Reply with quote
Hetalia- Yes we know it's still got a liscence from Tokyo Pop but we all know it deserves someone better like DEL REY or Yen Press.
Nichijou- Funniest anime of all time, I haven't laughed so hard watching an anime since I started watching Hetalia and the first episode of Excel Saga. It would be a huge hit in the Us since it's got the same sence of humor Azumanga Daioh has and it's not just one of those genereic school life anime's that only last's 10 episodes ( even though another one of my favorite anime's "Potemayo' only lasted 10 episodes I still laughed at that one a lot too.) and I think the manga would do relatively well. As for the company I'd like to see translate it I'd say Yen Press. Even the cover screams Yen Press, and as we all know they are doing a flawless job on Yotsuba which has a simular sence of humor. But Nichijou definently would make a perfect addition to the growing American Manga collection.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:16 am Reply with quote
Heres one i actually want to see made and then licenced. Kino no tabi.

I LOVED the anime, and i was very tempted to get the L.N's but there was only ever the 1 released and thats hard to come by now, id love a manga of it like they have done with spice and wolf.
NeburPT

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Defense Devil seems to me a perfect manga for the US market. It's a 10 volume shonen by the authors of Shin Angyo Onshi/Blade of the Phantom Master, and it's interesting to see how they adapt themselves to shonen demographic and how much that changes the artwork and the writing.

Speaking of the writing, I believe you can really sense that Youn In-Wan, the writer, is just having fun experimenting, creating scenarios and toying with his characters, and although that indeed make it a fast, fun reading experience as it is to be generally expected from a shonen, it makes the story unbalanced - it's not that long, but frequently jumps from minor arcs or "filler" chapters to entire story-driven volumes. There is not much coherence in the world created (plot twists just for the sake of plot twists - the final volume would make Death Note seem like a slow, boring story -, personalities and "power levels" that change abruptly for no apparent reason), but you cannot help jumping along for the ride as Yang Kung-Il's amazing art can make it all click and overcome its flaws. (I also found the ecchi bits a little too frequent and distasteful, but I don't like ecchi in the first place).

Even though the writing is inconsistent, I like how the story threads through grey moral areas and how we eventually find out about the real enemies. The authors are a bit like the korean equivalent of Ohba and Obata, and it's funny how this title somehow reminds of Reversi, the manga within a manga from Bakuman. I enjoyed Defense Devil, and if someone knows if there are talks of it getting a license in english please post something here Wink
toaster_4hire

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Zetsuai/1989 and the follow-up Bronze by Minami Ozaki

;__; I've been wanting it licensed for so long... so long... I fear it might never happen, despite being such a huge classic of the BL genre, simply because it is so old. What a great sadness, though.

And then little stuff, like You Will Drown in Love volume 3 (TokyoPop did 1-2, and then died. wa-wah) and then Calorie, by Yaya Sakuragi, since I love her work and that one in particular is so adorable. It's pretty likely/hopeful that DMP will get that one since they did Stay Close to Me, although it's entirely equally likely that S&S/Viz's Sublime imprint could grab it since they're doing Bond of Dream/Love this summer.

I ridiculously super need someone to pick back up the Silver Diamond license, which also died in the TokyoPop collapse. Yen Press, maybe, they're about the only ones I could see having an interest.

Other than that, I guess I just try to stick mostly to reading what does get licensed, to avoid potential heartbreak
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:21 am Reply with quote
Need somone to save deadman wonderland, i was really enjoying it but only got 2 volumes in before it was canned,cheers tokyopop >Sad

amazon are bugging me to sell em my volumes 1&2 but i kinda dont wanna because i liked it.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:52 am Reply with quote
^Well seeing how they'll give a swell $10 for the two of them combined when the cheapest copy for either is like $70, I can't blame ya. You'd think it airing on TV would make it prime pickings for a rescue, we shall wait and see I suppose.

I just really want anything else by Akimi Yoshida to come over. I'm sure it won't be Banana Fish godly, but few manga are. Still want them though. And Yasha has come out in France, shame I took German. Speaking of German, they have Shin Angyo Onshi, I don't think I can read it well enough to understand it all, and it's kinda expensive, but dammit, this has got to be one of the greatest action series that no one has brought over in English!
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:54 am Reply with quote
yeah im hoping its run on toonami will spur somone to get it back in publication.
NeburPT

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:25 am Reply with quote
Shin Angyo Onshi would be a perfect Dark Horse license or even Viz (seeing how they should get a few new series in their seinen department) and I believe it would actually have sucess in the US market, it's at the very top of my wishlist... : (

Deadman Wonderland needs to be rescued, I didn't buy all the volumes as they came out and only got the first and third volumes - now the rest is simply too expensive. By the way, I'm considering of selling/trading the third volume, so if you are interested, RAmmsoldat, PM me Wink
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:44 am Reply with quote
Nah im not looking to get more volumes considering the title is dead in the water. I think whoever gets it next should do a reboot anyway because tokyopop wernt know for their quality.
sailorsarah

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:28 am Reply with quote
This was mentioned earlier in the thread, but I desperately want more Ai Yazawa manga to be licensed here, especially Gokinjo Monogatari and Tenshi Nanka Ja Nai. I want to own physical copies of these in English so badly. I have the Japanese art book for Gokinjo Monogatari to tide me over I guess. The only other thing I can think of that I would like licensed is the Please Save My Earth sequel manga.
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:13 am Reply with quote
How has no one said 7SEEDS yet? Just come on Viz. Or someone. Ugh. This is me buying every single volume on release day.
rheiders

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:42 pm Reply with quote
I'll second the Baccano! LNs (and the Durarara!! LNs as well) and Hoshi wa Utau, as well as more Ai Yazawa! I'd also like to see Saint Young Men licensed, even though it will never ever happen.
sailorsarah

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Graceful Nanami wrote:
How has no one said 7SEEDS yet? Just come on Viz. Or someone. Ugh. This is me buying every single volume on release day.

I will second that because I love Basara. I haven't read 7SEEDS, but I would buy it and read it if it was available here.
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:31 am Reply with quote
sailorsarah wrote:
Graceful Nanami wrote:

I will second that because I love Basara. I haven't read 7SEEDS, but I would buy it and read it if it was available here.

I'm a ninny and actually own the Japanese release up to volume 17. I hate reading manga on the computer but it's worth it for 7SEEDS. Basara's still better, though. Razz
pathetic1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:39 pm Reply with quote
My most-wanted titles are things like Glass Mask and Kaze to Ki no Uta, which I'm sure are too old/too long to ever happen.

Other stuff that seems more feasible: Chihayafuru, Princess Jellyfish, more Yazawa. I would love to see Viz bring over some more mature shoujo like Six Half or anything by Ryo Ikuemi, like Kiyoku Yawaku or Barairo no Ashita. I also hope we see more Adachi manga in English, too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4