• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fate/stay night (remake)?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ferian

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:16 am Reply with quote
If Heaven's Feel were to be adapted now, it would be by DEEN. I don't want to see another butchery of a F/SN scenario by that studio. Considering the specific route, ufotable or Madhouse are probably best fit for the job.

(As for Fate/Kaleid Liner Prism Ilya, it's hilarious. Sorry if I'm misunderstanding, ikillchicken, but you shouldn't look down on a series because of a "magical girl" tag put on it. With the right staff, that show will be comedy gold.)
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:01 am Reply with quote
Ferian wrote:
If Heaven's Feel were to be adapted now, it would be by DEEN.

What is your basis for this claim?
jl07045

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:30 am Reply with quote
I'd rather have a Tsukihime remake than anything Fate related. The animation (lack of it to be more precise) for the first one was terrible and the plot could be better adapted as well.
Ferian

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:03 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
What is your basis for this claim?

I should have probably put "likely" there. Deen is likely to animate Heaven's Feel now because it has been contracted to adapt the two other routes previously. The second time around, Notes was even part of the production committee, which means they didn't mind trusting Deen with another F/SN adaptation. I don't see why this would change so soon.

P.S. And yes, finally getting a Tsukihime anime would be great.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Ferian wrote:
I should have probably put "likely" there. Deen is likely to animate Heaven's Feel now because it has been contracted to adapt the two other routes previously.

So? They got ufotable to do the most recent Fate/Zero. Why would they go back to Deen? I mean, it's possible they would. I just don't see any actual reason to assume they will. Just because it's another branch of FSN doesn't mean it's gotta be adapted by the same studio. Your theory is utterly baseless.

And honestly, all this panic about Deen is ridiculously over-dramatic to begin with. I agree that ufotable does better work and I'd rather see them handle future Fate projects. Deen's adaptation of FSN was just fine though and really good in its own right. A Deen version of Heaven's Feel would be just fine as well and certainly better than nothing.
InsaneZero

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:36 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
So? They got ufotable to do the most recent Fate/Zero. Why would they go back to Deen? I mean, it's possible they would. I just don't see any actual reason to assume they will. Just because it's another branch of FSN doesn't mean it's gotta be adapted by the same studio. Your theory is utterly baseless.

Fate/Zero and Fate/stay night are separate properties, due to how the former is a doujin product released as a collaborative effort between Nitroplus and TYPE-MOON and the latter is a commercial product that's solely under TYPE-MOON's name.

The rights of the Fate/Zero anime is owned by a committee consisting of Aniplex, Notes (which is TYPE-MOON in all but name), Nitroplus, and ufotable.

The rights for the Fate/stay night anime (which would probably extend to Fate Hollow Ataraxia property) is owned by the "Fate Project" committee, which consists of Geneon, Frontier Works, Notes, and Studio DEEN. Note the different production companies involved.

I don't see any plausible scenario where one of these production committees will give up their rights (due to the massive amount of money the franchise produces) willingly, so it all comes down to how much control Notes has over these rights.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:46 pm Reply with quote
InsaneZero wrote:
The rights for the Fate/stay night anime (which would probably extend to Fate Hollow Ataraxia property) is owned by the "Fate Project" committee, which consists of Geneon, Frontier Works, Notes, and Studio DEEN. Note the different production companies involved.

But obviously we're not talking about the rights to the existing Fate/Stay Night anime (which of course belong partially to DEEN as they made it). We're talking about a potential new project.

Unless you're saying Deen partially owns the rights to Fate/Stay Night itself (as in, the whole IP and not just the anime they created) then I don't see how this stops the actual owners of the FSN IP from taking it to ufotable and adapting it into a whole new project that Deen has no stake in.
Ferian

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:50 pm Reply with quote
The "property" in this case is the right to adapt the Fate/Stay Night visual novel into an anime. This property belongs to Geneon, Frontier works, etc, etc, as has been mentioned. As such, it is them who decide who is contracted as the animation studio for the project. It's been Deen twice now.
As for Fate/Zero, it is a separate property from the F/SN visual novel. As such, Notes could do whatever they wanted with it. With F/SN they can't do that without first buying back the license from Geneon and co., who I believe are not particularly willing to sell it back.

As for Deen quality... please, never say that the F/SN anime was "really good". It's embarassing to even listen to. The pacing was all over the place, the characterization was ruined by the inclusion of events from different routes, the production values were low, and inconsistent to boot. It was a bad adaptation, and a mediocre work in its own right. ...But now I'm just ranting, and I'm too tired to do that coherently now.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:29 am Reply with quote
Ferian wrote:
The "property" in this case is the right to adapt the Fate/Stay Night visual novel into an anime. This property belongs to Geneon, Frontier works, etc, etc, as has been mentioned.

So you're saying that Geneon permanently owns the animation rights to FSN (rather than just the rights to the project they were involved in producing)? Where exactly do you get this from? It kinda seems unlikely to me.

Quote:
As such, it is them who decide who is contracted as the animation studio for the project. It's been Deen twice now.

Okay, but that's very different from Deen partially owning the rights.

Ferian wrote:
As for Deen quality... please, never say that the F/SN anime was "really good". It's embarassing to even listen to.

Please stop acting like such a ridiculous and obnoxious drama queen.
Ferian

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:58 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
So you're saying that Geneon permanently owns the animation rights to FSN (rather than just the rights to the project they were involved in producing)? Where exactly do you get this from? It kinda seems unlikely to me.

They've bought the lisence for adapting F/SN. Not just the Fate route, not just the UBW route, but the whole VN. Such contracts usually include the clause of not selling the same rights to other producers. So if Notes wants to have a different producer making HF, they will have to first null the contract with the "Fate Production committee", because HF is part of the visual novel.

ikillchicken wrote:
Please stop acting like such a ridiculous and obnoxious drama queen.

No. Cool
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:30 am Reply with quote
Ferian wrote:
So if Notes wants to have a different producer making HF, they will have to first null the contract with the "Fate Production committee", because HF is part of the visual novel.

But you're just basing all this on your own speculation then? You don't really know this.

All we actually know is that they signed a deal with the FPC to produce a FSN TV series. Then, later, they produced a movie. We really don't have a clue what that deal entailed. Given that these projects were a half decade apart, they probably weren't even all part of the same deal.

Now, you are likely correct that most such deals are going to include a clause to stop them from just turning around and immediately giving the rights to someone else but at the same time, companies really don't like to just give away the rights to their IP forever so presumably those clauses are limited and expire after the project is finished or after a certain amount of time or something. In all likelihood, saying that the rights simply "belong" to the FPC now and that they'd have to buy them back is a gross misstatement. In fact, any assumption that The FPC has the power at all to stop them from choosing a different studio is baseless.

Type Moon's deal with the FPC may well be already long since done and even if it's not, they may be able to easily nullify if they choose and even if they can't they may well have the right to dictate their preferred studio (which given Fate/Zero is ufotable) especially if they're now in a position to put up more of the funds (which, given Fate/Zero, they are) and even if all that shit isn't the case and it is up to the FPC...they themselves may have since decided they'd be happy to use someone other than Deen.

So again, all this hand wringing about how an adaptation of Heaven's Feel would likely be done by Deen is just silly and baseless.
Ferian

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Fine, fine. It's a baseless opinion. There.

Still, your post had times more guesswork than mine. That's kinda amusing, actually.

Anyway, if the production committee desides to have ufotable animate HF, I'll rejoice.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Ferian wrote:
Fine, fine. It's a baseless opinion. There.

Good. I appreciate you admitting it.

Quote:
Still, your post had times more guesswork than mine. That's kinda amusing, actually.

Of course. We're both just speculating here. Neither of us know for sure. The key difference though is that your theory (that future FSN adaptations would be done by Deen) relies on one incredibly specific and highly implausible scenario where as my theory (that they would get ufotable to do it) applies in virtually every other scenario.

So while I can't claim with absolute certainty that Deen wouldn't be the one to do it, it is vastly more likely it will be ufotable.

Quote:
Anyway, if the production committee desides to have ufotable animate HF, I'll rejoice.

Well, putting aside who does it, I think it's pretty much inevitable that we do see an adaptation of HF in the semi-near future. The Fate franchise has become such a massive cash cow that I can't believe type moon will stop until they run out of material to adapt.
Ferian

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:15 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
The key difference though is that your theory (that future FSN adaptations would be done by Deen) relies on one incredibly specific and highly implausible scenario where as my theory (that they would get ufotable to do it) applies in virtually every other scenario.

That... really is not the case, but whatever. I've got no energy left to argue my case so feel free to think whatever.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:26 pm Reply with quote
There is a depressing lack of Fate/ talk and a depressing excess of economic financial talk in this thread...

If they ever remake it, it better be the Heavens Feel route....or just adapt some other work based off the Fate/ series, the Apocrypha, Ataraxia or Extra.

So...who has a thing for loli!Jack the Ripper and loli!Frankenstein's Monster?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4