• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Licenses Samurai Pizza Cats/Cats Toninden Teyande

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Primus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Kokoroanime wrote:
Do you know TBN's Smile of a Child currenty airing 5 anime?

SuperBook (It's at 3am CT every morning!!!)
Flying House
Little Women
Swiss Family Robinson
Going Wild (Potta Patta Monta)

I hope they could get these anime and put them on DVD.

Tell them to release Tokyo Pig on DVD boxset!!!!

Patta Potta Monta is so obscure. The show doesn't have an ANN entry, and is basically impossible to find any information about online, haha.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:00 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Got three words for your wishlist.

NEVER GONNA HAPPEN!!!

Welcome to my world.

Quote:
There's not way their gonna license that much oldies unless their gonna make a profit. it's fiancial suicide.

And that's when people like you can just go home and forget about it!

mangamuscle wrote:
Candy Candy will not happen until one of the authors dies (maybe). You can actually buy the Remi Box set pretty cheap, but here is catch 22, you need to learn spanish >: )

Anything out of Europe applies too.

mangamuscle wrote:
Other companies besides Discotek should take note of this simple truth, an anime shown in broadcast TV on daytime slots will outsell those shown on webcast or cable by a hundred fold (at least).

What we already knew for a long time.

Primus wrote:
Kokoroanime wrote:

Flying House
Little Women
Swiss Family Robinson

Patta Potta Monta is so obscure. The show doesn't have an ANN entry, and is basically impossible to find any information about online, haha.

At least some channel out there's bothering to show it. Reminds me of CBN back in the 80's with Honey Honey, Leo The Lion and whatever else they could stick on. Cable TV needs to go back go back to this stage when it seemed like anything weird and foreign filled up the schedule than anything that would interest people in general.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:42 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Distributors don't give shelf space either. They pay for it and even then it is still up to the retailer if an anime gets that shelf space.

But if ten out of ten new anime releases have NOT been shown in some kind of public broadcast, chances are that even if they get shelf space, most people will walk by since most people buy what they already like/have seen.

Quote:
Other than OVAs and movies, all anime has at sometime appeared on Japanese TV. There's nothing for the Japanese to note or push a distributor into a particular outlet over.

I mean to say that japanese anime companies should make an effort to make to broadcast their products in USA broadcast TV. There are channels that show infomercials non-stop that would show anime all the same.

StudioToledo wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:
Other companies besides Discotek should take note of this simple truth, an anime shown in broadcast TV on daytime slots will outsell those shown on webcast or cable by a hundred fold (at least).

What we already knew for a long time.

If it is such a well known fact how come we rarely see releases like Samurai Pizza Cats and recent anime in broadcast TV is unheard of?

Quote:
Cable TV needs to go back go back to this stage when it seemed like anything weird and foreign filled up the schedule than anything that would interest people in general.

Those kind of funky program schedule is akin to new cable channels, but sadly cable networks simply do not carry them (even if they are free to them) or when they do carry them they ask extra $ to get access. a la carte won't solve this lack of new choices.

Last edited by mangamuscle on Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If it is such a well known fact how come we rarely see releases like Samurai Pizza Cats and recent anime in broadcast TV is unheard of?

Because anime is insanely niche and quite often makes broadcasters uneasy due to it being foriegn and cultural differences.

It just won't really happen.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Because anime is insanely niche and quite often makes broadcasters uneasy due to it being foriegn and cultural differences.

I do not think that anime in the USA is more niche than, let's say, 20th century mexican movies (most of them in b&w no less and none have been converted to HD) yet I know there is at last one cable channel in direcTV/dish/most cable providers that shows them 24x7. Twenty years ago I thought that nowadays there would be several channels like Animax and that broadcast TV would show the biggest hits (even if they had to remove the risky content), but seems to me Japanese anime companies have played a passive role thinking they just have to wait for american companies to beg them to license their titles Anime hyper
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:10 pm Reply with quote
In any case, there's not enough anime to go around to fill one channel (even in Japan anime airs on "normal" channels). Combine this with the overall risk of maintaining a channel, and it simply would be too hard to work.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:15 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:

Why is it that regular TV stations play nothing for talk/game shows where those cartoons use to be on? Tell me that!! Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Quote:
Cable TV needs to go back go back to this stage when it seemed like anything weird and foreign filled up the schedule than anything that would interest people in general.

Those kind of funky program schedule is akin to new cable channels, but sadly cable networks simply do not carry them (even if they are free to them) or when they do carry them they ask extra $ to get access. a la carte won't solve this lack of new choices.

Then you'll have to get one of these and give the finger to those companies!

mangamuscle wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:

Haha!

Quote:
I do not think that anime in the USA is more niche than, let's say, 20th century mexican movies (most of them in b&w no less and none have been converted to HD) yet I know there is at last one cable channel in direcTV/dish/most cable providers that shows them 24x7. Twenty years ago I thought that nowadays there would be several channels like Animax and that broadcast TV would show the biggest hits (even if they had to remove the risky content), but seems to me Japanese anime companies have played a passive role thinking they just have to wait for american companies to beg them to license their titles Anime hyper

I still don't get a Spanish language UHF station where I am. Not that I would ask for a channel showing old Latin American features of the 20th century either but I'm sure there's an audience for that. The real problem these days (and from my experience in the past 30 years) is seeing the further narrowing of interests that television has been doing gradually year after year, with fewer theme/genre-specific channels giving in to a broader mainstream/general interest fare than their own networks were set up for at the start. You end up furthering your viewers into this selective, niche group in creating these newer channels or other avenues far from the main street.

Chagen46 wrote:
In any case, there's not enough anime to go around to fill one channel (even in Japan anime airs on "normal" channels). Combine this with the overall risk of maintaining a channel, and it simply would be too hard to work.

Which of course would be normal since it's their channels and a domestic product itself.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:05 am Reply with quote
StudioToledo wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
Got three words for your wishlist.

NEVER GONNA HAPPEN!!!

Welcome to my world.

Quote:
There's not way their gonna license that much oldies unless their gonna make a profit. it's fiancial suicide.

And that's when people like you can just go home and forget about it!

I'm not saying they shouldnt license old classics, but to license that much of classics when the new generation dont even know some of these series is fiancial suicide. that became appearant when ADV tried it,and paid a heavy price.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Haterater

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:47 am Reply with quote
StudioToledo wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:

Why is it that regular TV stations play nothing for talk/game shows where those cartoons use to be on? Tell me that!! Rolling Eyes

I bet because its cheaper and going for more different demographics. Which is kind of sad we won't see more of kid's show these days. Like usual, business wants sure profits than risks.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
StudioToledo wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:

I bet because its cheaper and going for more different demographics. Which is kind of sad we won't see more of kid's show these days. Like usual, business wants sure profits than risks.

That is true to a teeth.

However for anime classics like these, there might be some hope for a TV broadcast. Boomerang is showing the old epsiodes of pokemon, and then there's the HUB channel which are showing very old carttons from the 80's like Transformers Generation 1 & 2.

So the chances that the Pizza Cats or others might get a broadcast on either Boomerang or HUB is slim,but there is the possibly that it might.

That is if those CEOS from those companies are willing to take a leap of faith which i highly doubt.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:58 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
However for anime classics like these, there might be some hope for a TV broadcast. Boomerang is showing the old epsiodes of pokemon, and then there's the HUB channel which are showing very old carttons from the 80's like Transformers Generation 1 & 2.

Which are pay channels on my cable box, so that's bad.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:24 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
I'm not saying they shouldnt license old classics, but to license that much of classics when the new generation don't even know some of these series is fiancial suicide. that became appearant when ADV tried it,and paid a heavy price.

That was a lesson well-learned (and more reasons why I sink back into the abyss knowing full well nobody cares but me).

Haterater wrote:
StudioToledo wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:

It didn't use to be that way when adults still had jobs and kids were home from school needing something to do when it's not homework or chores.

Sunday Silence wrote:
jr0904 wrote:

Which is probably why I liked channels like "This TV", "Antenna TV" and other digital sub-channels since you really don't have to pay for them unless they weren't offered locally in your area by your regular TV station to pick up from an antenna (the way TV use to be).
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Oh my god, I remember this show.
Kokoroanime

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:03 am Reply with quote
StudioToledo wrote:
Patta Potta Monta is so obscure. The show
Primus wrote:
Kokoroanime wrote:

Flying House
Little Women
Swiss Family Robinson

doesn't have an ANN entry, and is basically impossible to find any information about online, haha.

At least some channel out there's bothering to show it. Reminds me of CBN back in the 80's with Honey Honey, Leo The Lion and whatever else they could stick on. Cable TV needs to go back go back to this stage when it seemed like anything weird and foreign filled up the schedule than anything that would interest people in general.

Sadly, there's on English dub episodes on YouTube but the Portuguese dub.

Smile of a Child has it live 24/7. Google it and get you a time zone converter.

Sunday Silence wrote:
jr0904 wrote:

Which is probably why I liked channels like "This TV", "Antenna TV" and other digital sub-channels since you really don't have to pay for them unless they weren't offered locally in your area by your regular TV station to pick up from an antenna (the way TV use to be).[/quote]

In here, we used to have RTV (Used to be RTN) in here for 2 years until it was switched to MeTV.

The sad thing in here is... We have ThisTV time shared with MNTV programmings and non-ThisTV movies everyday.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:36 am Reply with quote
Kokoroanime wrote:
StudioToledo wrote:

Sadly, there's on English dub episodes on YouTube but the Portuguese dub.

I got a few episodes from friend.

[quote]Smile of a Child has it live 24/7. Google it and get you a time zone converter.

I could but I'm not big into watching that channel anyway.

Quote:
In here, we used to have RTV (Used to be RTN) in here for 2 years until it was switched to MeTV.

Where I am, one station has RTV while another has MeTV.

Quote:
The sad thing in here is... We have ThisTV time shared with MNTV programmings and non-ThisTV movies everyday.

Again, TV stations act like cable operators when it comes to these situations when they can only slot a network feed for a limited time rather than dedicate a whole channel to it. Sounds like you live in a 'small market' if that's the kind of hanky panky that's going on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7