• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What Anime have you found the most touching?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:41 pm Reply with quote
On Haibane Renmei (yet another whopping block of spoiler space, for which I am completely unapologetic):

spoiler[I originally thought that all the haibane were suicides - chiefly on the authority of Yoshitoshi ABe, who has repeatedly made remarks to that effect. However, after careful thought, I believe that perhaps their common trait isn't suicide as such, but rather having died with unresolved emotional problems. However, I've since thought about it again...and here's what occurred to me:

There is no doubt that Reki and Rakka both committed suicide. Having said that, please remember that Reki appeared in the Old Home as a child, even though we know from the f.l.a.s.h.b.a.c.k. sequence that she was in her mid-teens when she killed herself. This implies that the haibane "children" could easily be reborn as children, despite having suicided as adults.

So, by extension, there is no reason to cite the haibane children as evidence that not all haibane are suicides. We know that haibane don't recall details of their suicide, except as vague elements of their dream. We are never told about the children's dreams, if any. I'd say that the evidence could still be interpreted either way.... were it not for ABe's statement that the haibane are suicides. I believe that clinches it.

Either way, I think the suicide theory makes for a more beautiful story. I'm sure we all know someone who committed suicide, and I think it's a beautiful thought, that somewhere there is a Town where they can have a second chance at finding joy in life.]

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:36 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
spoiler[There is no doubt that Reki and Rakka both committed suicide. Having said that, please remember that Reki appeared in the Old Home as a child, even though we know from the f.l.a.s.h.b.a.c.k. sequence that she was in her mid-teens when she killed herself. This implies that the haibane "children" could easily be reborn as children, despite having suicided as adults.]

After seeing this I have no further doubt on abunai's theory. Apparently I didn't pay enough attention to such detail. Wink

Time to watch Haibane Renmei again...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
kanako_the_idiot

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 5:26 pm Reply with quote
chobits... the ending was soooo sweet Smile i'm a sucker for anyhting my girfriend likes...
Septeus7

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:14 pm Reply with quote
I really can't pick one over the so here's the list.

Both Kenshin OAV's, and Wolf's Rain.
Angel Lily

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Well I have a lot of moments and my favorite is one that may be a little strange one but the episode where Misty left in Pokemon. I was so sad the rest of the day that I went to the Japaneese Tea Gardens in Golden Gate Park to get my mind off it. spoiler[I think it was also a bad idea to get rid of Brock in the same episode then bring him back 5 episodes later that makes no sence what so ever.] (I'm bad spelling incase I mispelled anything)

Last edited by Angel Lily on Sun Jul 04, 2004 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
HypnoticTea

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 5:37 pm Reply with quote
I think Distant Star was really touching . . .
light_inu_yasha

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 8:08 pm Reply with quote
no anime touched me. not one
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 8:24 pm Reply with quote
light_inu_yasha wrote:

If I were you, I'd give serious thought to the implications of that.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
frostedsaiyan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Usually when a series ends I get sort of emotional, but the most touching I would have to say Rurouni Kenshin the tv series. That takes the cake, very good story and pretty good length. You get attached to the characters...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Sakura no Miko

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Yami no Matsuei was the most emotional anime I've ever seen. Every story arc--ah, if there were only more--ends on a deeply emotional note.
Nagasaki--spoiler[The revelation of Hisoka's torture, murder, and possible rape at the hands of Muraki was terrible. We're given a chance to see how little worth Hisoka puts in his life, and in stark contrast, Tsuzuki risks his life to save what he considers to be precious (Hisoka's life). Hisoka's reaction, and the revelation (to him) that his [after]life has meaning is...just amazing.]
Devil's Trill--spoiler[Poor Kazusa's death, which we never expected; Tsuzuki's tortured past, where he's reduced to the mindframe of a child; and the final scene of the trio watching as Hijiri returns to his normal life. Priceless.]
King of Swords--spoiler[Hisoka's tortured, guilt-wracked sobs as he admits that he killed Tsubaki-hime and can still see her blood on his hands is gut-wrenching to watch.]
Kyoto--spoiler[Tsuzuki's emotional breakdown and Tsuzuki and Hisoka's near suicide show how deeply the two partners have come since their initial encounter. Theses two pople with tons of emotional scars have finally found peace and understanding in each other...]

I agree with most of the other titles mentions--Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuioku-hen, Hotaru no Haka, Kare/Kano, and X. Oddly enough, I always found the X movie more emotional, although somewhat absud. I was half-crying, half-laughing by the end. The ending theme highlighted the emotional power of the story better than anything else.
Ah, and I think I'll add in Gravitation, too. Yuki's past is nothing short of horrifying, and the mere implication makes you sick to your stomach. But, contrasted to the obvious love he finds with Shuichi (as evidenced at the end of the OAV) makes everything seem alright again.
Finally, Millenium Actress deserves a nod. Chiyoko (?) spoiler[was chasing after someone she would never find again. The revaltion that the old 'witch' tormenting her is actually her own future is an especially nice touch.]
Rozzer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 12:50 am Reply with quote
Most touching anime for me, would have to be Now and Then, Here and There.
Kerensky97

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:30 am Reply with quote
I think "Grave of the Fireflies" takes the cake by far. They did such a good job making Setsuko look and act like a 5 year old it breaks your heart to see kids in their situation.

The fact that it's based on a true story really reminds us that a war no matter how just is the greatest of all tragedies.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 7:09 am Reply with quote
Kerensky97 wrote:
I think "Grave of the Fireflies" takes the cake by far. They did such a good job making Setsuko look and act like a 5 year old it breaks your heart to see kids in their situation.

The fact that it's based on a true story really reminds us that a war no matter how just is the greatest of all tragedies.

Whoa! Let's just hold off on that "based on a true story" stuff. Apart from sounding like a dubious American TV 3-part miniseries, there are plenty of reasons to avoid this.

First off, Grave of the Fireflies is not exactly based on a true story, since (for instance) the protagonist of the real-life events lived on to write the story.

The story, as told, is based on the wartime experiences of Akiyuki Nosaka, who wrote the novel (publ. 1967) on which the film is based. Nosaka did have a sister, who died a week after the end of the war, in Fukui prefecture.

As Nosaka himself stated in an interview, there is a great deal of difference between himself and the (far more heroic) character of Seita:

Akiyuki Nosaka, in the June 1987 issue of Animage wrote:
There are many things that I just couldn't get myself to write into the story. During composition, the older brother got increasingly transformed into a better human being. I was trying to compensate for everything I couldn't do myself. I always thought I wanted to perform these generous acts in my head, but I couldn't do so. I always thought I wouldn't eat and would give the food to my little sister, but when I actually had the piece of food in my hand, I was hungry after all, so I'd eat it. And there was nothing like the deliciousness of eating in a situation like that. And the pain that followed was just as big. I'd think there is no one more hopeless in the world than me. I didn't put anything about this in the novel.

(excerpted from Nausicaa.net)

Grave of the Fireflies is a strong and moving story about the horrors of war and its aftermath. It closely relates to a number of real-world events. But it is a semi-fictional account, and one should be careful to remember this. While it can definitely teach us a great deal about compassion and the human capacity for suffering, it is not history - it is historical fiction.

- abunai
aoi777

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 8:40 am Reply with quote
light_inu_yasha wrote:

You say no anime has touched you but look at your name. Something had to inspired your to pick your screen name. Your picture also looks like something from Ranma 1/2 or inuyasha definately Rumiko Takahashi work.

For me personally I would pick the Ah! My Goddess movie. I like it.
Angel Lily

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 12:08 pm Reply with quote
aoi777 wrote:
light_inu_yasha wrote:

You say no anime has touched you but look at your name. Something had to inspired your to pick your screen name. Your picture also looks like something from Ranma 1/2 or inuyasha definately Rumiko Takahashi work.

Yeah his pick is human Inu-Yasha. Jeez even I was touched from a lot of things in Inu-Yasha.

Last edited by Angel Lily on Sun Jul 04, 2004 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 15