The Edit List Dragon Ball Z: Bardock Special
by Mike Majeski, Sep 21st 2003
- Slow panning shot of the baby Goku, replaced with a shot of him from the chest up. (I guess it was cheaper to cut this scene than to paint on a digital Diaper on him)
- Pan of Kanassa Soldiers' bodies cut.
- Kanassa Soldier's “Don't lose heart my faithful Kanass. This is our Duty! We must see it through until the end!” during a panning shot of the devastation with a transformed Saiyan in the background – CUT.
- In the shot of a Kanassa Soldier nicking a transformed Saiyan in the face, the blood from the resulting injury is removed.
- Shot of the injured Saiyan stomping on the Kanassa Soldier, crushing him – CUT.
- Torah's “That was a heck of a party, wasn't it.” With a shot of the sunrise on the devastation – CUT.
- Fasha's “If you say so, I don't remember any of it!” – CUT.
- Torah's “You're a typical ape Fasha” – CUT.
- Fasha's “Aaah, Shut up!” – CUT. (Scene in the Toonami edit picks up after this line)
- Another slow panning shot of the baby Goku, replaced with a shot of him from the chest up, then of Bardock, and then back to Goku. (I guess Cartoon Network has something against naked babies)
- NOT AN EDIT – As Badock gets out of the Rejuvenation Chamber, he is obviously naked (even though you don't see much of anything)
- Slow panning shot of the baby Goku, replaced with a shot of him from the chest up.
- NOT AN EDIT – In the shot of Borgos charging an unseen attacker, blood is dripping from his forehead, eye's and the corner of his mouth.
- After Borgos is knocked away and falls dead on the ground, all blood on his face is removed. (Strange how when he was living he could bleed, but right after he's killed he gets cleaned up)
- In the close-up shot of Torah, all blood is removed from his face.
- In the shot when Torah looks up at Dodoria, most of the blood on his face is removed (except a little near his right eye, left forehead, and the corner of his mouth)
- The shot where Dodoria picks up Torah by the Breastplate is cut short and replaced with a close-up of Dodoria. (Strange, the blood on Torah's arm is still present but his face is clean)
- In the close-up shot of Torah (as Dodoria is holding him off the ground), most of the blood is removed off his face except for a little bit seemingly from a cut on his cheek. (I wish they would have been more consistent in what blood to edit out, and what to keep)
- A slow panning shot of the devastation as Bardock says, “It looks like they plowed right through this one. I guess I taught those knuckleheads something about fighting after all!” – CUT.
- Slow panning shot of his fallen comrades as Bardock says, “Shugesh, Fasha, Borgos! What Happened?” – CUT.
- In the shot of Torah lying on the ground as Bardock runs up to him, all the blood of Torah's legs has been removed.
- As Torah says “You should know us better than that, Bardock!” the shot changes from over Bardock's shoulder of Torah to over Torah's shoulder of Bardock.
- As Torah says “We... we were ambushed by Dodoria!” the shot changes from over Bardock's shoulder of Torah to a shot behind Bardock.
- As Torah says “Of you, Bardock!” the shot changes from a close-up of Torah's to over Torah's shoulder of Bardock.
- As Torah says “Frieza's scared of you! Don't you see!” the shot changes from a close-up of Torah's to a different close-up of Torah.
- As Torah says “Good” the shot changes from a close-up of Torah's to a shot of Bardock from the back.
- As Torah says “luck, old friend!” the shot changes from a close-up of Torah's to a shot of Bardock holding Torah in his arms.
- As Torah says “I'm sorry that I can't” ” the shot changes from a close-up of Torah's to a close-up of Bardock
- Shot of Bardock looking at Torah's blood on his hands after he sets him down – CUT.
- Bardock's “So this is what it's come to. This is how we're rewarded for our hard work!” as he pulls the White bandana from Torah's arm – CUT.
- Shot of Bardock cleaning torah's face with the bandana – CUT.
- Bardock's “We tried so hard to please Frieza.” As he finishes cleaning Troah's face – CUT.
- In the shot of Borgos, all blood has been removed.
- NOT AN EDIT – In the shot of Fasha, all traces of blood are still there.
- The shot of the bandana slowly turning red with the blood of his friends Bardock says, “So they thought we were getting too strong!” – CUT.
- The shot of Bardock looking around (at his fallen comrades) – CUT.
- Close up of Shugesh as Bardock says, “Shugesh! I promise somehow I'll get them for this Shugesh! I'll die trying!” – CUT.
- The shot of the bandana as it slowly turns red with the blood of his friends Bardock says “Frieiza's taken our loyalty, and paid us back in our own blood!” – CUT.
- The shot of the Green Elite coughing up blood after the Red Elite punches through the back of his armor – CUT.
- The shot of the 3 fighters as the Green Elite releases Bardock – CUT.
- NOT AN EDIT – all blood on Bardock left in
- Guard #1's “I'd be happy to accompany you sir!” as Bardock runs off – Muted.
- Guard #2's “Oh my gosh, take a look at this would ya!” – CUT.
- Shot of the blood stained capsule as Guard #2 says, “They really messed him up good this time!” – CUT.
- In the shots of Goku's future, the one of grandpa Gohan trying to give Goku a bath – CUT.
- As Bardock struggles to get up after his vision, the blood that drips on the floor and his hands has been removed.
- As Bardock gets up and screams “NO!” the shot of blood splattering on the floor is replaced with a longer shot of him standing in defiance
- Saiyan's “He got his butt kicked, that's what's wrong!” Changed to “He got messed up, that's what” after Bardock enters the bar and collapses.
- In the scene of Goku heading toward Earth in his space pod as Bardock makes some final remarks, the soundtrack has changed (In the edit, the music actually fits the mood better IMHO).
- Shot pulling out from Vegeta as the voice on the radio says, “would you like to send a reply sir?” – CUT. (This is after he's informed of planet Vegeta's demise)
- Continuing the pulling out shot from Vegeta as the he says, “No, no reply” – CUT. (You're starting to get a glimpse of the carnage he was just in)
- Concluding the pulling out shot from Vegeta as the voice on the radio says, “very well sir, over and out.” – CUT (the shot concludes, showing the massive amount of bodies surrounding Vegeta)
- Scene Re-Organization – Shot of the stream, panning shot of the country side, Gohan waking up, then Gohan peaking around a bush, and then of Goku sitting and crying as Gohan says “Huh? Oh my goodness, a little boy. What are you doing way out here little fellow?” Changed to... Shot of the stream, panning shot of the countryside while Gohan says “Huh? Oh my goodness, a little boy.” then Gohan waking up as he says “What are you doing way out here little fellow?”
- Music during closing credits was changed.
There where a few inconsistencies, mostly with edits concerning blood. Like in the scene where Borgos attacks Dodoria's men his face is covered in blood, then when he's knocked away and falls down dead his face is strangely clean. Then we have the case of the Migratory blood on Torah's face, it's almost like they meant to keeps some there and could decide where to place it. Then you have Bardock, running around through about a third of the movie with blood all over. And the funny thing is that Bardock was showing about the same amount of blood on his face as Torah and Borgos.
Then we have the scene between Bardock and Torah. It seemed that they where running a wee bit close to the budget for computer time. The way they kept using alternate camera angles when ever Torah was speaking, only showing his face when he a) wasn't talking, b) when it was absolutely necessary to show him talk, or c) during his final moments.
The bandana is another item that deserves to be mentionned here. Because a lot of the scenes were cut out, the symbolism of the bandana (Not to mention where it came from) is lost. In the edit, it just appears in Bardock's hand and then he feels the need to put it on.
The only other thing worthy of comment is the changes in the music. During one scene and during the credits the music was changed to scores used during the TV series. Not that I'm complaining or anything. I just find it odd that's all.