• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kyoto Animation's Animation Do Spinoff Unveils New Anime's Ad

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yu3lora

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:11 am Reply with quote
Oh MY MOE!!! That BODY!!!!! Shocked

Eh.. Animation DO is part of K-On! Team.. Oh... Shocked
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:44 am Reply with quote
scineram wrote:
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
jsevakis wrote:

But go ahead, keep putting your own wishes into the mouths of a company you clearly don't know much about.

almost appears to be shrinking considering they lost the Key license apparently.

Yes, you don't know shit.

So basically both companies were being incredibly stubborn about it is what you are trying to tell me. I fail how this amounts to me not knowing shit or explains how my statement is in any way false.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:51 am Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:

I fail how this amounts to me not knowing shit or explains how my statement is in any way false.

Other than the fact that your statement is objectively wrong? Thats generally a sign that you're wrong. Being wrong I mean.

They sorta go together.
Parse Error

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:51 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
And most of their works seem to be gender-neutral in who they can appeal too, like girls watching and enjoying K-ON because it's cute.

Exactly, which is why it would be great for this to become a series so that I could give it a try. It would make for a nice change of pace at the very least, and I'd probably find it rather entertaining.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:52 am Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
scineram wrote:
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
jsevakis wrote:

But go ahead, keep putting your own wishes into the mouths of a company you clearly don't know much about.

almost appears to be shrinking considering they lost the Key license apparently.

Yes, you don't know shit.

So basically both companies were being incredibly stubborn about it is what you are trying to tell me. I fail how this amounts to me not knowing shit or explains how my statement is in any way false.

No false, but misleading. You made it sound as though Kyoto has lost the rights to make Key animation, even though that's not really the way the business works. In fact, they could have produced the show if Key was willing to wait until Kyoto was available to produce it, and Key appears to want to work with them again in the future (at least as of 2011.)

If Kyoto isn't set up to handle the production of more than one show at a time, then it's probably for the best that they don't attempt to do so with a Key property. Visual novel adaptations can be very tricky business.
omoikane

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:40 am Reply with quote
_Archer_ wrote:
omoikane wrote:

I always thought when it comes to anime, fujoshi are one of the worst performing market segments historically.

The fujoshi crowd has always had some kind of influence in the medium, as if you can really catch their interest, they'll buy stuff from said series in droves. Just look at Reborn!, Magi, Kuroko's Basketball, Gintama, Blue Exorcist, Tiger and Bunny, and Fate/Zero. All of those series were able to reach the level of popularity they had because of their ability to capture the fujoshi market.

It won't be surprising if there is more fujoshi pandering series in the future because of how much of a boon the market can be.

It's definitely an area for growth of the industry.

But for anime? I'm not sure. I think stories like Gintama (or most Jump stuff, or basically all the manga adaptations you listed) have really very little to do with anime. By the time they're green-lit they have already reach a certain threshold of popularity in public (Gintama is probably way more popular than you give it credit for...) that they don't need to rely on fujoshi pandering to be successful. It's where you have the voice actor/music tie-in and the like, media mix strategies begin to broaden and involve the anime as a possible format. T&B and Fate/Zero are probably much, much better examples because it was because of the anime that the fujoshi crowd begin to pay interest.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:43 am Reply with quote
Fujoshis tend to latch onto things that men can enjoy as well. There are very few examples of anime like this KyoAni CM thats just hot guys doing hot things that have been successful (UtaPri is about the only one I can think of off the top of my head). Maybe if they did a show that was about hot guys fighting or something it would be successful, but I don't see a swimming anime doing well. It turns off too much of the male fanbase from trying it.

Last edited by RyanSaotome on Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:50 am; edited 2 times in total
omoikane

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:44 am Reply with quote
musouka wrote:
omoikane wrote:

To be actually serious, I always thought when it comes to anime, fujoshi are one of the worst performing market segments historically.

Fangirls are a steady market overall, really no better or worse than fanboys when it comes to supporting a series that captures their attention. What you're missing out on--and why it makes sense to cultivate a fangirl audience--is one word: MERCHANDISE.

Fangirl-popular shows make an absolute killing on the related material. Yeah, fanboys might buy pillows and figurines, but fangirls will buy pillows, figurines, keychains, perfume, phone covers, stationary sets, plushies, organizers, posters, ect, ect, ect.

You have to look beyond sales of the actual media to understand the market and why the fangirl segment has been steadily growing in clout.

As for the poor fans blinking back tears at the potential of not being pandered to by KyoAni for a season? Cry more.

I agree absolutely, this is why I stressed the word anime. Girls buy trinkets and manga and whatever, but I think slowly they're buying expensive Blu-ray LE sets as well (not to mention DVDs).

But you have to see the issue with merchandising. Unless the animation studio gets a cut from the overall profit of an IP, they don't make any more money from those kind of work, where as typically they do get a cut from home video sales.
Shiratori1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:45 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Get over yourself, champ. People make things for people who aren't you.

Frankly, the same could be said for people who don't like the standard "moe" shows. Rolling Eyes As far as this CM is concerned, if it does eventually lead to something (OVA, series, etc.), I definitely won't be watching it (just not into this genre).
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:54 am Reply with quote
Shocked Shocked
Whoah...this CM video has crossed 140k views in one day. O_O How much larger will it get?
As for whether it'll be successful IF it's made into an anime or an OVA, it all depends on how it's executed.
If they pander to the fujoshi in the right way by building the relationship between the guys like how the KuroBas anime did, it could be a hit.
musouka

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:57 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I don't see why KyoAni is viewed as a guy's only club, didn't girls eat up all of the Key adaptations too? And most of their works seem to be gender-neutral in who they can appeal too, like girls watching and enjoying K-ON because it's cute.

"Shows aimed at men that women might be willing to watch" is a very, very odd definition of "gender-neutral".

Let me put it this way. If this commercial had been about cute girls in swimsuits, do you think the fangirl population would be shrieking like a bunch of babies whose pacifiers had been stolen? No, they would have shrugged and ignored it at worst, because "this is not for you" is the baseline for most high budget anime in the current market.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:03 pm Reply with quote
musouka wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I don't see why KyoAni is viewed as a guy's only club, didn't girls eat up all of the Key adaptations too? And most of their works seem to be gender-neutral in who they can appeal too, like girls watching and enjoying K-ON because it's cute.

"Shows aimed at men that women might be willing to watch" is a very, very odd definition of "gender-neutral".

Let me put it this way. If this commercial had been about cute girls in swimsuits, do you think the fangirl population would be shrieking like a bunch of babies whose pacifiers had been stolen? No, they would have shrugged and ignored it at worst, because "this is not for you" is the baseline for most high budget anime in the current market.

Are the people who are shrieking and watching the videos the same people who are going to import it for 400 dollars? If not, they are irrelevant to KyoAni.

The people who WILL spend that much are generally raging on Japanese forums and blogs about how KyoAni has abandoned them. Pissing off your loyal fanbase is the #1 way to lose money.
musouka

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:16 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

Are the people who are shrieking and watching the videos the same people who are going to import it for 400 dollars? If not, they are irrelevant to KyoAni.

How cute that you think the majority of the people complaining are willing to fork over 400 dollars for a KyoAni series. BTW, I do import stuff from Japan. Tiger & Bunny was the most recent, and cost me a hell of a lot more than 400 dollars.

RyanSaotome wrote:

The people who WILL spend that much are generally raging on Japanese forums and blogs about how KyoAni has abandoned them. Pissing off your loyal fanbase is the #1 way to lose money.

"Loyal fanbase"? If there were any delusions about "people that buy KyoAni simply because it's KyoAni", I would have thought Nichijou pounded that notion right out of their head.

No, it's just spoiled children angry at the idea of a certain segment of the anime fandom they dislike getting the same thing they've been enjoying for a long time.
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:18 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

I really want to know where you saw people raging. No, I'm serious. =( Really, where?
Also, how about the fujoshi? How are they liking it? Any idea?
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:20 pm Reply with quote
musouka wrote:

No, it's just spoiled children angry at the idea of a certain segment of the anime fandom they dislike getting the same thing they've been enjoying for a long time.

Spoiled children, more like misogynist morons.

At this point I HOPE this or a similar anime gets made just to piss these people off. And I hope it sells better than some of Kyoani's latest efforts (and the studio has not had a really big hit in awhile).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 12