• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Now Streaming: Animation Runner Kuromi-chan 1-2 dub/sub

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gwdone

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:53 pm Reply with quote
I own the 2 DVD's.. The release was only meant to be 2 DVD's long. It was super funny to me!!
Brand

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I also own the DVDs for Animation Runner. I'm glad it is online for more people to see, it was super cute and heartwarming.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Prede

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Yeh I own both DVDs too. Everyone should give this a watch though, it's a great comedy! Plus you learn something too!

BTW who put this up here? Did ANN license this themselves for streaming? Because this was a CPM title...and I'm wondering who has the rights now?
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Prede wrote:
BTW who put this up here? Did ANN license this themselves for streaming? Because this was a CPM title...and I'm wondering who has the rights now?

We licensed this ourselves directly from Japan.
Prede

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:30 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Prede wrote:

We licensed this ourselves directly from Japan.

Ahh that's what I was thinking. Thank you very much for confirming it though Justin! What a great pick guys!
kazume

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:03 am Reply with quote
Damn this was way better than I was expecting. The only bad part is it was only two episodes, but then again it'd be hard to entertain consistently with a story premise such as this I assume.

Still, two episodes, there's ZERO reason why anyone shouldn't give this a try. Truly great stuff to be seen here. English Voices are incredible.

Now i'm either hoping for a reprint (unlikely)... or now it's time to hunt down the DVD's ><
Ian K

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:48 am Reply with quote
What a thankless job it is to bring us the things we love. I'm glad that there are people as crazy as Kuromi and friends who keep throwing away their lives to make the newest iteration of the database for the otaku (and the occasional gem as well).

I watched the first episode some time ago, but it didn't do much for me. When ANN posted them I decided to give the second installment a try, and to my surprise enjoyed it quite a bit. Part of this was probably because of the introduction of a villain of sorts, externalizing the conflict and pushing it beyond a rather depressing fight to not cave in the face of impossible odds and crappy conditions. I also don't recall much visual experimentation in the first segment, but the sequel definitely features some amusing and inventive sequences that must have been a lot of fun for the staff.

Another factor that probably effected my enjoyment was that I watched the first episode dubbed, and the second in the Japanese. I don't recall the dub being bad, per say, but ARK's style of comedy is so alien to anything coming out of the West that I think I can except it easier if it is in a language I can't understand. In fact, it makes ARK look like something of a relic - the slapstick and over-the-top expressionism is almost quaint in comparison to the barrage of referential humor we see today.

People who enjoyed ARK for it's behind the scenes view of the process of producing an anime should also check out Episode 10 of Paranoia Agent, which provides a darkly comic mirror to Kuromi's light-hearted portrayal of the stresses of production.
feitian

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Ooh, I heard about this on ANN cast a while back, was looking for it recently but didn't see it until now. I am glad I finally saw it, even though it didn't feel too realistic, its still inspiring to see story about artist making art.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:15 pm Reply with quote
My animation major roommate loved this series. I think we showed it just about every year at our college anime club. It may be a bit dated with computers taking up a large load of the animation process, but it's still a fascinating and funny look at the industry.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:17 pm Reply with quote
If you can find this on DVD, the extras are worth a look. They provide some additional insight into the anime process. I particulary liked the interview with the director.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Right Stuf absorbed a lot of CPM's inventory when they closed, so they still have ample supply of both discs in stock. (Even though they're OOP, they don't even have a "xxx copies left" counter.)
Prede

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:02 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
If you can find this on DVD, the extras are worth a look. They provide some additional insight into the anime process. I particulary liked the interview with the director.

Oh I agree. The great interview with Daichi revealed a lot. And it was very interesting. Plus the commentary he did was engrossing as well. I like how he explained how anime was really created and exactly how close this OVA was too that. And I also liked the interview with an “animation runner” from America. These little OVAs have more extras then entire series usually have. I just love that! Even the menus are great! I reviewed this awhile back on my blog too if anyone cares...

So if you like it, there's a good reason to buy the DVDs. As you can spend awhile watching these extras...
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Wow this had the best dub I've heard in any anime. What a cute and fun show, I'm def. going to buy the DVDs.
Namina

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:25 pm Reply with quote
This anime was delightful but how am i suppose to know when i comes on again? or if it gets cancelled?
Prede

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:37 am Reply with quote
chrisb wrote:
Wow this had the best dub I've heard in any anime. What a cute and fun show, I'm def. going to buy the DVDs.

Yeah Lisa Ortiz is great in this as the lead!! So energetic, so enthusiastic, she really fit the role. Love her. Rachel Lillis and Eric Stuart are really good too. Excellent New York City dub! it's all very funny. Mercury Productions did this one I think...they also did Night on the Galactic Railroad IIRC...and not much else (edit: Ohhhh they did Descendants of Darkness too.). Top notch dub, one of CPM's best alongside Now and Then, Here and There, World of Narue and Alien Nine. I miss dubs from New York. Wish they were used more now-a-days...The rare dub that goes to New York is always a delight.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2