• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Oreimo (TV) - both seasons and ONAs.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Well, an ONA (true route) has been released today, and 4 OVAs will be streamed on the official site.

In this ONA, spoiler[Kuroneko ends up going to the same school as Kyousuke.] Kirino spoiler[leaves to America without letting] Kyousuke know. The first half of the ONA is basically what seems like spoiler[a repeat of Episode 12.] I'm not too excited for the OVAs anymore now.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Kirino is definitely not the most likeable of characters, but it occurs to me to wonder whether people might be missing a key factor in understanding her behaviour.

Kirino is a "perfect" girl. She's clever, pretty, surrounded by friends who are clever and pretty. She's one of the school's "beautiful people". She ought to be happy, since she has everything one could want.

However, she is, secretly, nurturing a hobby that can deprive her of all her status, were it to become known.

The only person to know of this is her brother, and he is (in his occasionally grumbling and bumbling way) completely supportive of her. He even "jumps on the grenade" for her several times, taking upon himself the onus of becoming known as a "creepy otaku" when circumstances threaten to reveal Kirino's interests. At one point, he even takes a blow to the head from their father, without backing down.

He's definitely the hero, doing everything he can to help his sister be who she wants to be.

And yet... she treats him badly. Extremely badly.

This is why most fans talk of Kirino as a bad person -- she's not properly grateful to her brother.

So why does she behave that way? I submit that her behaviour begins to make sense if you see her as a person terrified of losing everything she has. Like a gay teen living in a homophobic society, she has a secret lifestyle that she cannot afford to have become known. The only person who knows, and who supports her, is her brother.

On the one hand, she obviously ought to appreciate this, and be thankful -- but on the other, it makes perfect sense for her to be even more fearful. Terrified as she is, and completely reliant on her brother... is it any wonder that she reacts by testing him, constantly, putting pressure on him to see whether he will, in fact, prove reliable?

It's not exactly sane or sensible behaviour, but it is very, very human.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:23 pm Reply with quote
After seeing the Trye route I don't get why they didn't go with that in the first place. I guess as an ending to a serious the TV ending completes things slightly better with a false "happy" ending but if and when there's a sequel series they'll be continuing from the True Route most likely- it's the one that follows the books apparently.

FYI, If you want to skip to the new stuff, the stories split after Kyousuke buys the Eroge, introducing a character who makes no difference to the episode but I assume would show up in sequels, and then small differences that result in the different ending.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Memington

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:18 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

I am looking forward to what these ova are.

Oh god. Don't post on 4chan about it. They will spoil it for you.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:17 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
And yet... [Kirino] treats [Kyosuke] badly. Extremely badly.

This is why most fans talk of Kirino as a bad person -- she's not properly grateful to her brother.

"Not properly grateful" is a pretty big understatement. She's downright abusive towards him.

Despite the reasoning behind her treatment of her brother (and her otaku friends, whom she sold out in front of their faces), I suggest that part of the reason fans hate her, beyond just her inconsiderate attitude toward her brother, is that she's an obnoxious fangirl and her "perfect girl" qualities lead her into being conceited and entitled (see her expectation of the anime adaptation of her self-insert story).
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Like she told Ayase at the end of episode 5, she's lived a perfect life for her entire existence. She's a model, a model student, a star athlete, perfect in every way except for the fact her favorite interest is something that's regarded anything but perfect.

Essentially she's been forced to live two completely different lives, and all of that was going fine until her brother (accidentally) got involved with her two-sided life.

It's the reason why's she both pulling in and pushing away her brother at the same time. The two worlds she doesn't want coming into contact with each other basically end up colliding into each other all because of him.

Could she handle everything better? Yeah, she could. But she's a young woman who's never dealt with any real issues in her life before and all of a sudden the mess she was hiding for years completely exploded in her face. Her behavior and actions are completely realistic for a fourteen year old girl given the situation. Although I guess that makes her a bad person to people who call her a *****.

So far, every episode managed to unfold into how the two get closer to each other as the older brother helps his sister with common teen problems. I like how he started from not even talking to his sister to how he realizes at the end of the day something new or an improvement with his sister.

Having said that, I like the brother's character a lot. He's sort of ideal as a brother. He acts, responds, reacts and shows his love for his sister naturally as how any boy should. On the other hand, his sister depicts any sibling with a whole lot of pride, asking for help from someone you don't expect to get help from. It's also fun to watch how she turns to her brother for help and learns to appreciate him. It's like Kuroneko said in the anime episode; "It must be nice."
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:34 am Reply with quote
I saw the new OVA, it is basicly episode 12 and is very simular, but differentiated a bit towards the end.

Differentiated with Kousuke spoiler[missing the train and having to borrow an otaku bike from some guy to get home, again showing him pushing himself ever further.] But the real big difference hapened when he spoiler[had to decide whether to look at the photo book, this time deciding not to and instead looking at a box of Kirino's track accomplishments. Apparently this decision pushes Kirino not to tell him she is leaving and left the next day.]

Some solace in the episode spoiler[ending with Kuroneko now attending the same school as him, so that is what she meant as calling him something different soon.] Wonder what the next couple will be like, but looks promising.
Memington

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:05 pm Reply with quote
I saw the OVA too.
Maaan, I really wanted to find out what was in that photo album...
But from what I noticed in the OP I can guess it's literally spoiler[millions of pics of him and Kirino]. But still, I want to know for sure.
mrcuteguy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:15 am Reply with quote
What does oreimo means btw ?

I remember a word something like i like/love u for siblings ... but couldn't rememeber that exact word.
Nosferatu21

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:22 am Reply with quote
mrcuteguy wrote:
What does oreimo means btw ?

I remember a word something like i like/love u for siblings ... but couldn't rememeber that exact word.

Oreimo is just a shortened version of the actual japanese title of "Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai". The English version of the longer title is "My Little Sister Can't Be This Cute".
Memington

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai

get it?
Alakazzam

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:29 am Reply with quote
Does anyone happen to know when the next episode is going to be released? Is it monthly or what?

Thanks In Advance
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:44 pm Reply with quote
I take it this is the happy ending? I felt happy, and our protagonist didn't seem sad. Either way, it would be great to have a sequel based on this route... oh wait, this is going up to episode 15. Great.
Westlo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:02 pm Reply with quote
There is no happy or whatever ending, the true route is what actually happens. The fake Episode 12 we saw was just a stopgap episode that will get completely ignored from now on. Real episode 12 as well as the next 3 episodes are actually canon and 13-15 will be based on material from the next Light Novel.

The second season will completely and utterly ignore the TV version of 12. You might as well delete it now, it's pointless. I wasn't exactly a fan of the decision but if it gets the remaining novels (feels like it could wrap up soon.. approaching end game) into one 15 episode season than it's all right.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:21 pm Reply with quote
That was sarcasm. She did mention something about sadness when she ended her game she played with the masochist, didn't she?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 19 of 56