• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Level Up

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Otaking09

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I think you're reading too much into my statement. I'm simply referring to the fact that a major contributing factor to "burnout" among a lot of people is that they devote quite a bit of time to watching titles they don't especially enjoy while trying to convince themselves that "it wasn't THAT bad...I guess..." My gripe with Mashimo and Bee Train isn't that they're "bad" so much as they're "not good." That I hope for them to be "good" suggests that their properties at least have potential. This potential is not being met in my opinion, and as far as I can tell never has been. Therefore, Bee Train is actually worse in my book than Gonzo! At least Gonzo made a few titles I liked!

Putting it like that, I can 100% agree with you. But... I think KyoAni is even lower than Bee Train!
Heck, Gonzo is the epitome of trying new things! I don't care what anybody says, Speed Grapher is one of their most derivative projects! Very Happy

Quote:
--Anno's work on the original Gunbuster and Evangelion is generally held in higher regard than his subsequent follow-ups. In his heart, I'm pretty sure the guy knows he'll never make a new hit bigger than either, and so he'll PROBABLY be calling mulligans for the rest of his life and raking in the dough for it.

Well, I'm not comparing Mashimo's choices with Anno's. Anno did do His and Her Cir. He infused some of his style, but it's still remembered today.

Quote:

--I am not one of them, but it is not at all uncommon for people to wish that Oshii would go back to doing comedies instead of what he's been doing for the last decade and change. Their issue is not so much that he's delving into matters of SF and philosophy--heck, he's always done that, even in the comedy days--so much that he's largely repeating himself at this point. I do enjoy The Sky Crawlers, but even the most ardent Mamoru Oshii fans I know are beginning to find their patience wearing thin after Assault Girls (which I have not yet seen).

I like Sky Crawlers too. It has the most practical of messages in it, exercised in the most impractical manner.

Quote:
--The notion that Koichi Mashimo is trying to "do something different" is severely undermined when you look at his resume. I point out the stunning LACK of variety to this man's work: Noir, Avenger, Madlax, El Cazador de la Bruja, and now Phantom are all attempts on his part to do a dramatic interpretation of the "girls with guns" formula that made the original Dirty Pair an enduring hit. That is ten straight years of emotionless little girl assassins with amnesia--this would be the "moe" element you claim to not be present--teaming up with older female assassins. Ten years of uninspiring, antiseptic action choreography against generic "evil syndicate" antagonists. Ten years of characters who do little to defy their archetypes beyond exhibition of "otaku database" traits. Can you honestly claim that Mashimo is "trying to do something different" after the guy has basically called for do-overs of the exact same concept at least FIVE times in the past ten years? (Note that much of the above also applies to the .hack franchise, which I personally consider even WORSE than these shows I mentioned.)

I admit that, if he keeps it up, it will nullify any chances of him getting any more big breaks. I'm not saying that everything the man makes as 20 karat gold, I'm simply saying that he's one of few people who have a hold in the industry and REFUSES to churn out more moe-doll fodder! That in of itself is amazing.
True, his legacy isn't as impressive as... say Shinkai(who should start venturing out a bit too, if you ask me), but he very well could, and that's the point.
And, it's never about the logistics of the show that ultimately matter, it's the feeling, the tone, the deliberate notion to introvertly focus on it's characters and what they're feeling.
Phantom is kind of a cross between Noir and Madlax; Noir's exemplary moodiness, and Madlax's "WTF??? That didn't make sense" scenario's, but wielded MUCH, much better.

Quote:
--Your assessment that people disliked Blade of the Immortal because Bee Train/Mashimo "painted a dash of 'difference' into it" is similarly confounding. The reason the manga is so well-received in the US is that it's so unique in the first place. Samura's artwork is unlike any other manga released in the United States, and its depiction of of action and violence on the printed page is virtually unmatched outside of Berserk and Battle Angel Alita. The anime adaptation eliminated that unique artwork entirely, opting for a far less distinctive art style than the source material. Plus, much of the graphic violence was excised or drastically toned down. This is in fact more like "erasing" that dash of difference.

True, but in any other case, it would've been a little more interesting. So I guess the fault really falls under "Who let Mashimo be director???"

Quote:
We can go back and forth about this forever, but I can see this isn't a reconcilable position. At the end of the day, my position is forever going to be that Koichi Mashimo once upon a time made some truly great anime that has stood the test of time: titles such as Dirty Pair Project EDEN, the original Dominion Tank Police OAVs, and The Irresponsible Captain Tylor to name a few. But somewhere along the line, his output took a sharp dive in quality and hasn't come close to its previous heights. I know this guy is capable of doing good work; I've seen it. But something changed between now and then, and I don't know what that is. All I can tell is that several of the extremely talented staff that worked with him on those earlier titles are no longer working on the Bee Train properties.

Captain Tylor was 18 years ago and people still remember it. Project EDEN was 25 years ago and people still remember it. What are the odds that people are going to remember Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom in that much time?

I know what you're saying, and, better yet, I believe what you're saying.
Mashimo is relying, more than just a bit, on his "one trick pony act".
And that he isn't showing anything else besides his trademarks, but again, he isn't the most famous of directors, and he isn't so inclined to produce "variety". Heck, he might just be in the history books, for mainstreaming Yuki Kajura!
My ultimate point is that instead of simply calling him a talentless and gutless, couldn't you just label him "being in a dry spot"?
He still has potential, he just doesn't know another way to channel it.
Happens all the time with artists... Look at Yoko Kanno! Hasn't produced a stellar score since Ghost in the Shell, and Wolf's Rain.[/code]
Otaking09

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:04 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Yes, that is a real problem...but I suspect this is what happens when fans try to watch too much anime at the same time. They can't all be winners, so I definitely don't agree with the idea of watching anime out of a twisted sense of obligation instead of seeking some sort of entertainment value. Taking a break or just dropping a series is fair game. Granted, reviewers usually don't have that luxury, or do they?

And, in their own way, that's their benefit since they can speak for how different one "clone" is from another "clone".
True, hardcore fans are more likely to watch the 60's Astro Man for a sense of completion, than pure entertainment, but... not being credits, they can take a break.
I used to not care about what critics thought, but you know what? They DID persevere through it all, so their careful consideration should be at the very least, thought about.

Quote:
I guess the real worth of said potential, at the end of the day, is how much of it comes true...but, inevitably, different kinds of people will tend to conclude the glass is half full (they got part of what they wanted) and others will say it's half empty (they didn't), depending on what -and exactly how much- they were expecting to begin with.

In the case of Bee Train, I can't deny that even Gonzo does have a better track record as far as I'm concerned. Still, I watched Phantom as more or less a supplement to the game, rather than from an entirely clean slate or expecting anything more than a distraction. I also didn't really have Noir or even its follow-ups, which I completely skipped, on my mind as a constant reminder or source of fatigue.

Very true. That's probably the best way to sum up how we dislike "some parts", and yet... it managed to be "what we want".
Perfect example is Toradora; Has loli protag, and, yet, it took itself seriously enough.

Me too, I watched Phantom before anything else of Mashimo's. Which can also imply, that Mashimo himself is refining(or... "modernizing"?) his techniques.
Heck, after watching Phantom, I thought Noir and Madlax were inferior in terms of story quality.

Quote:

True, but then again Gundam Unicorn has the advantage of already having a solid storyline to work from thanks to the completed novels, as opposed to relying on a script written in a hurry. All those long months between each of the OVA releases certainly can't hurt either.

If it's pandering to anyone, that would be nostalgic UC fans who wish for the return of bygone times, instead of trying to reach the specific audience that is currently expected to watch Wing, SEED or 00 on TV every week. We're talking about two different business models here.

However, I think this is actually a good thing since Unicorn isn't just a simple tribute to the past, in and of itself, but genuinely good and interesting enough to appeal to a more mainstream audience where both fans, non-fans and others can potentially be included.

Yes, and yes. Which is why it just might become the "best" of UC Gundam because, so far, it's mixing the old with the new.

And, yes, it has more material to be better, because it's not a TV series, and because it is an adaption. It still can fall apart, but... it hasn't yet, and doubtful it will later.
Because it has ALL the requirements to be free with what it wants to be.

Quote:

You could say so. Again, I've already conceded that they're two shows I watched for different reasons.

Which is why I would never compare the two. Black Lagoon, tosses some ideas around... then blasts them away(spoiler[Man... they could've done something great with Rock teaching Revy that you can't fight ideas with bullets]).
It will be memorable because it's very nature is unlike anime(similar to Kite).
Not because it's a hardhitting masterpiece.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:30 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Ah, ya guys are weak. Nothing clears the system than the occasional flame war or two. Laughing

I enjoy flame wars as much as the next guy, but I want to argue with a person that will listen to what I say, and show some respect.

Then it wouldn't be a flame war, would it? Laughing
nightjuan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:53 am Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:
I used to not care about what critics thought, but you know what? They DID persevere through it all, so their careful consideration should be at the very least, thought about.

Of course. Even though it's not surprising to note that most of us prefer to agree rather than disagree with critics, discussing our differences from time to time can be both interesting and exhausting. This topic should speak for itself.

Quote:

Heck, after watching Phantom, I thought Noir and Madlax were inferior in terms of story quality.

I haven't seen Madlax but, as some of my previous comments should indicate, at the very least Noir wasn't really my cup of tea back in the day.

Quote:

Which is why I would never compare the two. Black Lagoon, tosses some ideas around... then blasts them away(spoiler[Man... they could've done something great with Rock teaching Revy that you can't fight ideas with bullets]).
It will be memorable because it's very nature is unlike anime(similar to Kite).
Not because it's a hardhitting masterpiece.

I see your point but the comparison wasn't one of content, for the most part, as opposed to "which show is better" overall. In my personal opinion, Black Lagoon does come out on top despite focusing on some radically different elements. It doesn't need to be a masterpiece in order to be a lot more enjoyable than Phantom. Just as well, since Black Lagoon has an ongoing manga story I'm not prepared to pass final judgment on anything other than the first two anime seasons. This includes issues dealing with further character development or lack thereof. Many things could happen.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:19 am Reply with quote
There's some real nice discussion here. It's nice to even more sentiment about how well Unicorn works as an introduction; for awhile I was wondering if I was mostly lonely in thinking so. Well, I've said it before and say it again...it'll be a good day when it's on DVD and finally accessible for most people.

Charred Knight wrote:

Also Gundam 00 basically tried to do what Gundam Seed did which was update a previous series. In this case instead of following Wing as closely as Seed followed MSG and Zeta, the second season borrowed heavily from Zeta.

Hmm, I wouldn't say that 00 has the "parallelism" that Daryl speaks of when it comes to Zeta in the way that Seed and Wing have it for Mobile Suit Gundam. The inclusion of a corrupt task force is not lost on me, but the themes and ideas that the two deal in are very distinct. There's even less parallelism going on for the characters; it's a pretty easy call to say Kira Yamato is Seed's Amuro, but good luck picking out an obvious Kamille or Quattro out of 00. While the two eventually diverge considerably, the closest cousin to 00 is definitely Wing given certain plot points and certainly given the starting premises of both shows. Ironically, director Mizushima had never seen it.

nightjuan wrote:

Anime World Order wrote:
I'm simply referring to the fact that a major contributing factor to "burnout" among a lot of people is that they devote quite a bit of time to watching titles they don't especially enjoy while trying to convince themselves that "it wasn't THAT bad...I guess..."

Yes, that is a real problem...but I suspect this is what happens when fans try to watch too much anime at the same time. They can't all be winners, so I definitely don't agree with the idea of watching anime out of a twisted sense of obligation instead of seeking some sort of entertainment value. Taking a break or just dropping a series is fair game. Granted, reviewers usually don't have that luxury, or do they?

Yeah. I think the two of you have hit on the two big causes for how a fan can "burnout" on anime. My sense is that it's even easier the more one chooses to focus on what's fresh and new right now. Around ten years ago anime was new to most of us (if we'd been introduced yet, of course), it was getting on TV more than ever, before long the DVD market was going to take off. We were hit with the highlights from years upon years of history (and plenty of duds!). Now a huge chunk of fandom has gotten a used to anime to one degree or another, we're way more genre savvy, and--yes--a lot of us have got nostalgic feeling going on to one extent or another. To boot we've long since entered a digital age where we can easily find out about everything Japan makes however good or bad at is, whereas in the 90s things were just more filtered.

Anyhow, I try to balance simulcasts with anime of varying ages as best I can. Seems to be working out well for me so far.
Saturn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:08 am Reply with quote
My feelings toward Level E are sort of love/hate... or more like enjoy/feel-indifferent-toward. I agree that the first arc was the best and I wasn't expecting the characters to suddenly disappear, but there are definitely some other funny bits and I didn't find it so difficult to get attached to the sentai kids, either. My problem with the show is that I love the Prince-- because he's SUCH a jerk, everything he does is hilarious-- and he's just not in it often enough. The show almost doesn't have a main character, and while that does work for some people, I find it annoying.

Having said that though, I want to respond to the argument that the show is ugly/bland... because seriously, were you actually watching it? The characters aren't moe or bishonen (other than the prince and some hot girls), but they're not *ugly*, and everything in the show (other than the occasional god-awful CG) is painstakingly rendered. Sometimes it's so hip it hurts! And even if the backgrounds were bland (which they're not, they're just not fantastical), the directing is often pretty inventive.

So. I mean, say what you will about Level E, because it's not a great show, but calling it ugly is uncalled for.

Anime World Order wrote:
To use what I believe to be a fairly apt hypothetical analogy: it's as though there were large quantities of people declaring themselves to be colossal fans of the Akira Kurosawa movie "Ran," yet had no interest in William Shakespeare's "King Lear" and downplayed or ignored the structural/narrative similarities between the two works. Perhaps some would give Lear a chance but find it not to their liking because what they mainly like about Ran is the medieval Japanese setting and the samurai battles. The Shakespeare fans would be understandably cross, and over the course of a decade of this would eventually give up trying to point out the obvious and instead start feeling resentment towards "Ran" and its fans. This action in turn leads to people generally not wanting to ever bother with Shakespeare on account that it's super-old and the people who like that stuff appear to all be crazy jerks anyway.

I pretty much stick to series-specific communities/forums when it comes to huge franchises, so I haven't seen any of these flame wars between Gundam fans-- though I'm not shocked by it-- but I think your comment about Lear is probably right on the money. *Some* fans will be interested in the similarities between Lear and Ran's themes, but most will just be interested in the samurai.
People who are fans of Wing/SEED/00 exclusively are (generally speaking) a different breed of viewer from those who follow the more "hardcore" series.
BUT
That's okay, because that's how those series were designed: to draw in people who wouldn't normally watch Gundam. Wing, SEED, and 00 take typical shojo elements like character-driven plots and really hot guys and put some cool-looking robots in the background.
The robots are cool. But more importantly, the guys are hot, and can be slashed.

You can no more blame the people who are enticed by this sort of show for not enjoying the hardcore mecha style Gundam than you can blame fans of that ABC series "10 Things I Hate About You" for not particularly caring about The Taming of the Shrew. They're the same story intended for entirely different audiences.

For the record, I'm the type of fan who loves Wing, SEED, and 00.
I mean, robots are cool.
But if they're not being piloted by a hot boy, who really cares?
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:49 am Reply with quote
No, enurtsol, if we're going to compare it to MTV shows, it would be Punk'd IN SPAAAACE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:08 am Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:
There's some real nice discussion here. It's nice to even more sentiment about how well Unicorn works as an introduction; for awhile I was wondering if I was mostly lonely in thinking so. Well, I've said it before and say it again...it'll be a good day when it's on DVD and finally accessible for most people.

Charred Knight wrote:

Also Gundam 00 basically tried to do what Gundam Seed did which was update a previous series. In this case instead of following Wing as closely as Seed followed MSG and Zeta, the second season borrowed heavily from Zeta.

Hmm, I wouldn't say that 00 has the "parallelism" that Daryl speaks of when it comes to Zeta in the way that Seed and Wing have it for Mobile Suit Gundam. The inclusion of a corrupt task force is not lost on me, but the themes and ideas that the two deal in are very distinct. There's even less parallelism going on for the characters; it's a pretty easy call to say Kira Yamato is Seed's Amuro, but good luck picking out an obvious Kamille or Quattro out of 00. While the two eventually diverge considerably, the closest cousin to 00 is definitely Wing given certain plot points and certainly given the starting premises of both shows. Ironically, director Mizushima had never seen it.

I shouldn't have said borrowed heavily, simply because while the A-Laws are very similar to the Titans, Katharon really isn't that close to the AEUG.

The information about Mizushima really isn't that shocking when you consider the ending to the movie which goes against what we typically see with super humans like Newtypes or Coordinators (not counting the information after the anime ended because I don't think Mizushima really had anything to do with that).
gwdone

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Well hell. I guess I'm a total moron. I liked Requiem and am glad I own it. But of course I also like and own Madlax, Gunslinger Girl, Noir etc. Smile I still like reading opinions - thanks
Krotchstak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Saturn wrote:
For the record, I'm the type of fan who loves Wing, SEED, and 00.
I mean, robots are cool.
But if they're not being piloted by a hot boy, who really cares?

What's interesting about that is that "hot" is entirely subjective to the generation watching the show. I mean, it's subjective to the individual members of the audience, too (even when it comes to the women, i can't stand the character art in SEED), but what I mean is that I don't think an attempt to use bishonen as pilots is unique to Wing, SEED, and 00. Amuro and Char both have a number of features that suggest them as pretty boys, just from a dated perspective; the same goes for the women in each of the series. There are certainly more characters in the older productions that could be characterized as "ugly", but having main characters that are visually appealing is a feature of every Gundam series. Wing was just the first to really push the concept into overdrive.

GWOtaku wrote:
Kira Yamato is Seed's Amuro

While I agree on the general parallelism between the shows themselves (at least to a certain point, and more between MSG and SEED than between MSG and Wing), Amuro and Kira are actually remarkably different characters, particularly in their initial reactions to piloting their war machines and in what sort of character they grew into. I prefer Amuro, but that might be Destiny's use of Kira coloring my opinion of him.

I am absolutely LOVING Unicorn. For all fans of UC Gundam (or Gundam fans in general), I've been reading through the manga series The Origin recently and I highly recommend it. It's like a director's cut of the original series (except not written by the creator...but it's being done by the original character artist, and the story reportedly has Tomino's endorsement), and its pacing and character development and just storytelling in general is spot-on. Really emphasizes what a fantastic sci-fi odyssey the original Gundam series is. it should absolutely be looked into, especially for fans who can speak Japanese (as its release by Viz was, well, canceled a while back).
RapidEyeMovement

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:57 pm Reply with quote
eyeresist wrote:
JackCox wrote:

Just because a show is slow, that doesn't mean it's intelligent. Witness the oeuvre of Bee Train, for instance. But plenty of naive people get sucked in by shows that appeal to undergraduate intellectual vanity, to the extent that it's practically an anime genre in itself!

How to do it: Just take your cookie-cutter standard anime, slow the plotting to one third speed, make the colour palette gloomy and/or grainy, have characters speak pretentious platitudes in halting monotones, and have an "ambiguous" (i.e. nonsensical) and "existential" (i.e. meaningless) ending. Presto - instant masterpiece. I mean, if you like this as a style, just say so, but don't insist it's because you're just so much smarter and more sensitive than everybody else.

Ouch. Laughing

This style needs a name. "Fauxfundity", anyone? (Not that don't like it sometimes, provided the anime using that style has actual good writing to back it up.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7