• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? (TV)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:41 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Dumb? We're talking about an anime with a magical girl male zombie, in an anime where zombies are stronger than vampires. Vampires who happen to be ninjas.
No, I don't think any addition could be dumb.

I think it'd be dumb in the sense that they already have an eternal life theme, and time traveling would just feel really tacked on, so it's best just play with immortality than throwing another log on the fire.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jxsilicon9

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Thats not a kick. Its too funny when they say that.

Why exactly do vampire ninjas have to dress like maids to play musical instruments?
batou37

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:25 pm Reply with quote
jxsilicon9 wrote:

Why exactly do vampire ninjas have to dress like maids to play musical instruments?

I guess it is just another anime trope to toss on the pile that this series has flipped around six ways from sunday in an amusing way. Seriously spoiler[ attractive large breasted vampire ninja women dressed as maids playing magical instruments to defeat evil spirits escaping from a portal to the underworld] gotta love it.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:34 pm Reply with quote
3 words: What the hell?

This was some weird episode, but I still had laughs. Oh, KoreZom, how you just make me giggly. The beginning of the episode had me cracking up with the three girls spoiler[looking for Ayumu's scattered body parts.] I thought what Sera thought.

The main villain's spoiler[facial expression of terror had me cracking up when he said "That's not a kick!". Then the Masou Shoujo power up - "We're really cute!".]

The vampire ninja spoiler[orchestra was just plain weird. ] Epic battle, and again, they make it funny. spoiler[So the villain was like, "Make me a penguin."] What?

Oh and the surprise at the end. Very HappyVery HappyVery HappyVery HappyVery HappyVery HappyVery HappyVery HappyVery HappyVery HappyVery HappyVery HappyVery HappyVery HappyVery HappyVery HappyVery Happy

(Excuse my excessive use of smileys.)

Guess it's time for me to start writing my half-ass crappy reviews.
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:27 am Reply with quote
Ah. LOL! This episode was awesome in so many ways. Picking body parts as if picking strawberries. Vampire ninja maid musician. Twin magical girl transformation and the ever growing cuteness. And of course, Yuu hitting home with an overdose of cuteness. Lastly, for the first time Sera's insults fit the situation perfectly.

And who'd say this thing would surpass my expectations even at this point.

Oh, well, at least it wasn't Shana voicing the real Yuu!
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:21 pm Reply with quote
batou37 wrote:
jxsilicon9 wrote:

I guess it is just another anime trope to toss on the pile that this series has flipped around six ways from sunday in an amusing way. Seriously spoiler[ attractive large breasted vampire ninja women dressed as maids playing magical instruments to defeat evil spirits escaping from a portal to the underworld] gotta love it.

I was laughing so hard during that scene I almost cried. Bless you, Kore wa Zombie desu ka for realizing your comedy is far stronger than your drama. Or for not realizing it but still unintentionally displaying it anyway.

Although, I must admit, spoiler[I did cry a little when Yuu actually spoke to Ayumu at the end. I think perhaps it worked because (despite the running gag of him imagining her speak), we had 11 episodes of her playing the mute, and so had plenty of time to come to understand the importance behind this decision.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:11 am Reply with quote
You know when I imagined what a vampire ninja villaige would be like, I did not think of spoiler[a lot of the vampire ninjas in maide outfits playing violins, clarinets, flutes, trombones and a triangle], but apparently that is just like it.

Got to say that was a hell of a way to start an episode, girls going around picking up severed graphical body parts, pluss nude too. must have been on purpose. Probabl the first time I have really agreed with Sera of the extent of disgusting.

I think they did a good job, the orchestra music in the fights was a nice touch, though of course can't pass up the switching for the "kick", and of course the reaction to the "kick".

Got to say most of the main cast had some sort of emotional point, even with Yuu, she moved on from being the voiceless character which was kind limiting her. But at the same time the fact of it taking so long felt worth it, her telling him to stop his fantacies was a great cherry for the episode aswell. Great show.
Mister V

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:37 am Reply with quote
I'd say I preferred the beginning of the series, really. It's not that it's bad, but maybe the novelty of the chainsaw-wielding magical girl zombie's wearing off, and the drama, well... there was nothing new.
It remembered however that its success was mostly due to crazy stuff being thrown in, so past the half point it became cool again. And that was a quite satisfying fight (for once they didn't look like they simply had scratches and light burns).
spoiler[In my personal opinion, the voice doesn't really suit her.]
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Apparently, Episode 12 came out today, and CR has not uploaded it yet.

I watched it, and it was... spoiler[the typical Kore Wa Zombie Desu Ka? style. A bunch of randomness involving the female casts doing cute stuff, a bunch of "What is this... I don't even..." responses, l0lz, HNNNG's, and hysterical laughs.]

Fun and weird episode, loved the spoiler[singing from Yuu. Thought the singing from Haruna and the Vampire Ninjas were weird.]

The ending feels like a cliffhanger though, spoiler[with the cute chick (I cannot stress how much I like them...) looking at Ayumu as he walked down the stairs. What's weird is that a male originally passes Ayumu, but as Ayumu walked down, it became a girl.]

Not much I disliked about the series, but the things I want explanations on are: Where's Kyoko? and some other stuff I can't remember.

I also heard that there will be an OVA sometime in June.

Lastly, my halfass review that I posted on CR with 5 minutes of thinking. Too lazy to add to possible spoiler parts, ignore if you haven't seen Ep 11 by now. This review was base from Eps 1-11, and basically a verdict on how it went.

So here we have our protagonist, Ayumu Aikawa. He's a zombie. He's a Masou Shouo. He's a piece of shit. He's also a pervert. Kore Wa Zombie Desu Ka? is a weird show. It has a bunch of things mixed together, and seemingly looks bad, but it's actually pretty good. Personally, this is my favorite show of this season. We have a "harem" consisting of a Necromancer (Yuu), Masou Shoujo (Haruna), Vampire Ninja (Sera), and the lovely waifu (Yuki). The show itself is bizarre, one would try to take it seriously and think "What the hell?". In a show like KoreZom, you have to let everything flow, don't try to predict things, because you'll just be confused. The show does take itself seriously but it always ends up with a comedic act or two. Great show for the comedy, and the action isn't half bad. Kore Wa Zombie Desu Ka? is messy, but you know, it really works out great that way. You'll have a fun time enjoying the ride of randomness and "l0lz".

Writing reviews are harder than they seem...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Just watched episode 12, yeah a bit messy but I really enjoyed this show, it is no exageration that I will say that this show was my favourite show this season.

I think episode 12 is one of those episodes that prides itself on being the token swimsuit/fanservice episode, ussually we got scantly dressed Haruna, jiggleing Sera, and cute Yuu. The episode quickly delved into the expected fanservice, but of course began to fall into random chaos spoiler[with Sara (other scarry vampire ninja) making the appearance as an idol. We then start to have Sera go into an idol off for reasons she says makes no sense. A while after Haruna joins in the overtop fans she joins on stage for what is apparently an aweful song, though saddly subs couldn't translate it, but apparently it scares children.]

So after that for a little bit Dai-sensei, sorry Ariel, brings an item for the sole purpose of pushing the plot in the direction so spoiler[Yuu can join in the singing. Ayumu takes her place with her powers, I guess we got a look at apparently how bad the pain is from the magic, Ayumu was on his knees in pain screaming. The other girls join in on Yuu's performance, how did we get here, who cares. We could have a harmless ending to this, but no, Ayumu accidently uses Yuu powers and gives Mysteltainn (who might aswell be this shows mascot) the power to grant wishes like Kyuube or Ikaros. So all the females become incredibly sexelly dressed, and the cast go at him for the 'disgusting pervert' he is.]

Didn't I see something like that last bit on Sora no Otoshimono? Actually now that I think about it, this show might actually be kind of what I hoped Sora no otoshimono would be more like, that is more funny and awesome then pervertness.

Highlights of the episode: Haruna telling Ayumu not to give up just becaue he thinks he can't. Sera calling Ayumu a predator. Haruna somehow going completly with the flow, faster then any other character. The total confusion of Sera in her 'fight' and her opponent defending spoiler[the stage] as the new age battle field. Crazy Haruna. Mysfeltainn going spoiler[Kyuube]. And hey the wish wasn't bad either, yes it feels like something out of Sora no Otoshimono, but it has not been overused.

I also checked out the lyrics of the OP and ED, probably sad to say that I did it only now, they are pretty random, my favourite line is "take a look at my cute body" it is very Haruna. Even beyond the bounds of tsundere it was kind of hard to tell if haruna wanted ayumu to look at her, maybe even some kind o backwards tsundere.

OverallI have few problems, I think Sara was not quite properly introduced, but I guess it is not too much of an issue. I want more, I hope there is a second series, there was something at the end right, and what was with those silottes in the opening song. I would definetly get this series if it were to come out here, though as it is at the moment I am save a bit (still need to get Summer Wars). Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? I salute you.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:47 am Reply with quote
Still waiting for the last episode before I give a final verdict. But, it would appear that the main plot has concluded with episode 12.

This was one of the shows I was most looking forward to and it was just OK for me. I liked the comedy, and I liked the serious stuff. But it just felt like the show was trying to be a jack of all trades and ended up being a king of none. I think I would have enjoyed it more if they had leaned more toward one aspect over another (more serious plot over comedy or vis versa). I didn't care for the harem elements in this series at all. It just felt fake. Even the main character wasn't into it. I like what this series was trying to do, I just don't like how they did it.

That being said, I also didn't particularly care for the main antagonist. That whole aspect of the story felt really weak and I was expecting something much more epic with the way they were building things up.

I am glad that we got to spoiler[hear Yu speak] and saw the spoiler[return of the masou shoujo]. Still not a big fan of the Ayumu transformation sequences. The best running gag was the "kick" that wasn't really a kick at all, rather a chainsaw to the face.

Sadly, I just wasn't impressed with it as much as I thought I would be. This isn't something I would plan on re-watching frequently, but I may consider purchasing it for the right price.

Don't remember what I rated it, but I'm pretty sure it was something like "decent".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
jxsilicon9

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Yea the show started with a good plot but just went into fanservice,ecchi crap. I have no problem when thats secondary to the plot but when it just focuses on that. You might as well should just turn it into a hentai. There really is no reason to bring it back for a second season.
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
You might as well should just turn it into a hentai.

Yeah, I'd love a hentai version of Kore wa Zombie Desu ka?

Just take a look at Sera's valley of happiness.

Oh, damn, now I'm drooling.
Mister V

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:16 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Quote:
You might as well should just turn it into a hentai.

Yeah, I'd love a hentai version of Kore wa Zombie Desu ka?

Kore wa XXX desu ka?
Just wait for C80. Razz
Darksorrow29

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:10 pm Reply with quote
I agree with BentoBox about jack of all trades... to me this show had an identity crisis. I think if they kept bigger/more important parodies throughout the serious parts (beyond the maid choir etc) it might have been better, but who knows.

It also really bugged me how he kept calling himself a zombie spoiler[when he's really not a zombie]. It wouldn't have been annoying but he just LOVED to tell us "zombie se" haha.

The show was so so for me, I probably would have dropped it if i wasn't so invested. Enjoyed the fan service the most, serious parts were dull and flat to me... no pun intended...>>
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 12