• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
So does this mean Halle Berry will play Kei...?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:26 pm Reply with quote
http://www.darkhorizons.com/news04/040927j.php says Otomo picked PITOF for Akira...I guess MCG was busy.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:38 pm Reply with quote
WTF? Why? Has he actually seen Catwoman? Geez, there has got to be better choices out there.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:41 pm Reply with quote
OH CHRIST!!! they're letting him direct Akira? just the idea that this hack is allowed to direct anything of this caliber after Catwoman is astounding.
A Picture of Longing

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:27 pm Reply with quote
*prays* Please, God, let this just be a rumor or a mistranslation or a misconstrued statement, or, at the very least, let it be a different Pitof....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:51 pm Reply with quote
The entire story appears to be very loosely founded, but possibly legitimate. The Dark Horizons newsbite references an interview with Otomo in Telerama (use the search function, with the term: 'Akira'), wherein Otomo is quoted as saying:

Otomo Katsuhiro (quoted by interviewer Olivier Gachen in Telerama) wrote:
«Akira ? J'ai créé le manga, puis le dessin animé... Le réalisateur Pitof envisage d'en faire l'adaptation en prises de vues réelles. Je l'y encourage vivement. Mais pour moi, c'est terminé. Je ne veux pas en être prisonnier.»

("Akira? I created the manga, as well as the animated design. The director Pitof plans to make a live-action adaptation. I highly encourage him. But for me, it's over. I don't want to be a prisoner.")

So, it seems not at all impossible that plans may be in the works to create a live-action Akira. However, the entire story seems a bit pie-in-the-sky right now, so if I were you, I wouldn't spend any sleepless nights over it.

Besides, Pitof has done fine work as a visual effects director on other films. True, Catwoman is a travesty - but that may not be Pitof's fault. Looking at it, I get the feeling that somebody on the 'money' end decided that they weren't going to spend another dollar, and preferred to send a half-finished product on the market, hoping the hype would disguise the lack of quality.

As I say, this may not be the director's fault.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Why on earth have they decided to make a live action Akira movie?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Another interview with Otomo, this time in Allocine, quotes him as saying:

Otomo Katsuhiro (reported by Hélène Baud in Allocine, September 17, 2004) wrote:
Pour l'instant, concernant Akira, le scénario est toujours en phase d'écriture. La première version que l'on m'a proposée n'était pas terrible, j'ai donc demandé à ce qu'elle soit améliorée. Actuellement, c'est à l'étude, mais je pense que le film va bientôt se faire.

(At the moment, as regards Akira, the script is in the process of being rewritten. The first version that they showed me wasn't terrible, but I still requested that it be improved. Right now, it is still in the planning stage, but I think the film is going to be made.)

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KirklandVR6

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:29 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
OH CHRIST!!! they're letting him direct Akira? just the idea that this hack is allowed to direct anything of this caliber after Catwoman is astounding.

I second that!!
tekkaman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:43 am Reply with quote
NO!!! this sucks big time.
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:42 am Reply with quote
What's just as alarming (according to the site) that a Movie adaptation of Miami Vice is in the works?!? Shocked (Jamie Foxx as Riccardo Tubbs?!? AHHHH!)
jsyxx

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:25 pm Reply with quote
LOL, Pitof? They'd be better off hiring someone who spent a night at a Holiday Inn.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:25 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
LOL, Pitof? They'd be better off hiring someone who spent a night at a Holiday Inn.

I smell a commercial!
Torka

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:05 pm Reply with quote
a live AKIRA movie? Wow..... You know, movie like these are a double edge sword. It could either be great adaptation(Lords of The Ring, Harry Potter) or a complete crap failure( Street Fighter, Super Mario Bros.,Mortal Combat)
Davmx

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:29 pm Reply with quote
im leaning towards complete crap Crying or Very sad
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:59 pm Reply with quote
I don't think I can trust anyone with just one name.

I would love to see Otomo's reasons for this pick.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3