• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Princess Mononoke Is No Longer a Buena Vista Title

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:58 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
enurtsol:
Quote:
"Grave of the Fireflies" is not included in the [Disney-Tokuma] deal because Tokuma Publishing does not hold the rights to it. It was produced by a company called Shinchosha.

Perhaps, but Disney could bring it over if they wanted to. And since the director of Grave still works for Ghibli, he could vouch for it to be part of the deal if he wanted.

True, but that's besides the point, which was CPM was able to get Grave not because it was up to Ghibli.

Besides, Ghibli only made Grave anyways in order to help Totoro, Miyazaki's pet project. They don't really care to control it:

http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/grave/faq.html#totoro

Q: I heard that it was double-featured with "Totoro" in Japan. Is that true?

Yes. At that time no one thought that people would want to see "a movie about two little kids and a Monster in rural Japan", and "Totoro" was considered a big investment risk. Still, Miyazaki and the editors of "Animage" wanted to make this movie, which was Miyazaki's pet project for a long time. So they thought up the idea of risk-sharing. "Grave" was a well-known book, and because of its "educational" value, a certain level of audience could be expected. (Indeed, "Grave" was chosen by many school boards as a movie to show their students - and "Totoro" along with it, since it was in the package.)

Toshio Suzuki, then the chief editor of "Animage" (now a producer at Studio Ghibli) went to Shinchosha, the company which published the book. Since Shinchosha was looking for an opportunity to enter the movie business, they agreed to produce the movie "Grave". Both Tokuma and Shinchosha knew they were going to lose money, but they still went ahead with the project (they did lose money from the theatrical release). So, if it were not for "Grave", there would have been no "Totoro".

GATSU wrote:

Quote:
Hayao Miyazaki basically just keeps a few friends. Even if your company promises not to make cuts, that doesn't mean he'd agree to work with your company. You'd have to earn his trust first.

He jumped on the Blu-Ray bandwagon for Nausicaa pretty easily. It's just a matter of

That's after years of working comfortably with Buena Vista Japan, subisdiary of Disney.

GATSU wrote:

Quote:
(It was only circumstances that forced him to work with Disney: his friend Tokuma Publishing badly needed a fresh infusion of large cash.)

What? He made big bank with Princess Mononoke. In fact, an ex-friend of mine quoted him as saying he'd never work with Disney. So I'm guessing he benefits through distribution and home video, since he can pay for each production on his own.

Your friend was correct: Miyazaki would not even had thought of working with Disney in the first place, if not for those Tokuma circumstances. (Oh the old interview links no longer exist, but here's a few I could find):

http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/disney/

Did Miyazaki sell his soul to Disney?

Miyazaki stated that he didn't like the movies by Toho or Toei either (they are the Japanese movie companies which have been distributing the Ghibli films). He distinguishes between film production and film distribution. He also stated that he had agreed to the deal mainly to help Tokuma, which had backed him when he was starting out. He said he has earned enough money to last him a lifetime.

http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/disney/media-coverage2.html#9

Tokuma joined with Disney partly because it had an urgent need to secure funding to cover the inevitable costs of maintaining the high quality of Jhibli [sic] animations.

http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/disney/media-coverage.html#12

Miyazaki himself has in the past been critical of the
quality of Disney's recent films, but said Tuesday that he
distinguishes between film production and film
distribution, and is not disturbed by having the U.S. film
giant market his work. He said he has earned enough
money to last him a lifetime, but added: "I sincerely hope
this alliance will be good for Mr. Tokuma."

http://www.nytimes.com/1996/07/24/business/disney-in-pact-for-films-of-the-top-animator-in-japan.html

Mr. Miyazaki has never made much effort to have his films distributed outside Japan, in part because foreign distributors wanted to cut them or otherwise alter them. Industry officials said he had been approached by Fox and Warner Brothers as well as by Disney.

Today at the news conference he said he had agreed to the Disney contract mainly to help Tokuma, which had backed him when he was starting out and which now apparently needs the money, including what is expected to be a $10 million to $30 million payment at the outset. The 55-year-old animator then skipped the gala reception.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:34 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol:
Quote:
True, but that's besides the point, which was CPM was able to get Grave not because it was up to Ghibli.

I don't entirely buy that story. Ghibli was still a small company when CPM got the rights to Grave of the Fireflies, and they probably sold off the int'l. rights, because they needed the money.

Quote:
That's after years of working comfortably with Buena Vista Japan, subisdiary of Disney.

No, that's after being shown a clip of Nausicaa remastered.

Quote:
He also stated that he had agreed to the deal mainly to help Tokuma, which had backed him when he was starting out.

That's not the same as Tokuma needing money. It's probably more like Tokuma and Ghibli had a good relationship, but Tokuma wanted to branch out beyond the Japanese audience.

Quote:
Tokuma joined with Disney partly because it had an urgent need to secure funding to cover the inevitable costs of maintaining the high quality of Jhibli [sic] animations.

But it's contradicted by Miyazaki saying he was set for life, which means he could've just paid for the productions himself. So clearly, he was hoping to keep Tokuma in the fold, because of their success at promoting Ghibli.
E-Master

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:24 am Reply with quote
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
E-Master wrote:

I know there's a Japan Blu-ray of it, but I don't feel like buying it unless it's mandatory to own.
Well, there will be, but it hasn't even been announced yet. I don't see it coming out for another year or 2, unfortunately.

Sorry, I got it confused with a different Ghibli Blu-ray.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:42 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
enurtsol:
Quote:

I don't entirely buy that story. Ghibli was still a small company when CPM got the rights to Grave of the Fireflies, and they probably sold off the int'l. rights, because they needed the money.

But Ghibli doesn't control Grave. They left that control to Shinchosha, who produced it. Ghibli only made it --even went to Shinchosha to pay for the production-- in order to support Totoro. They won't mind ceding that control to Shinchosha, as a reward for helping them. Other than that, Ghibli hadn't any problem with money at that time.

GATSU wrote:

Quote:
He also stated that he had agreed to the deal mainly to help Tokuma, which had backed him when he was starting out.

That's not the same as Tokuma needing money. It's probably more like Tokuma and Ghibli had a good relationship, but Tokuma wanted to branch out beyond the Japanese audience.

No, Tokuma really needed the money. It was one of the lost links about Tokuma Publishing's history. They were in some trouble and were even consolidating their businesses to save money - money they need to keep funding Ghibli's animation work.

BTW there's a continuation to that sentence: Smile

http://www.nytimes.com/1996/07/24/business/disney-in-pact-for-films-of-the-top-animator-in-japan.html

"Today at the news conference he said he had agreed to the Disney contract mainly to help Tokuma, which had backed him when he was starting out and which now apparently needs the money, including what is expected to be a $10 million to $30 million payment at the outset."

GATSU wrote:

Quote:

But it's contradicted by Miyazaki saying he was set for life, which means he could've just paid for the productions himself. So clearly, he was hoping to keep Tokuma in the fold, because of their success at promoting Ghibli.

Miyazaki himself was set for life, in the context that his retirement didn't need the extra money that would come from licensing his films to the West. But Tokuma, on the other hand, needed that extra money.

(At least at that time 1996, he's rich enough but not that rich) Miyazaki can't pay for the productions himself (especially if Tokuma could no longer afford to back him in the "future" - at that time, Tokuma could still do it but not soon due to depleting reserves) and certainly not enough to cover his friend Tokuma's business' financial troubles. So he allowed Tokuma to license Ghibli's films to Disney, to cover Tokuma's "urgent need" for funding. Miyazaki was helping Tokuma to have a good future; simple as that.

"Mr. Miyazaki has never made much effort to have his films distributed outside Japan, in part because foreign distributors wanted to cut them or otherwise alter them."

The whole Warriors of the Wind experience soured him on the West. If Tokuma didn't need the large money, Miyazaki wouldn't have cared if his films never again got licensed to the West - he only cared about Japan.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:10 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol:
Quote:
But Ghibli doesn't control Grave. They left that control to Shinchosha, who produced it. Ghibli only made it --even went to Shinchosha to pay for the production-- in order to support Totoro.

Yes, but it's their IP.

Quote:
Other than that, Ghibli hadn't any problem with money at that time.

Actually, Helen McCarthy noted that they didn't start making money until they sold Kiki merchandise.

Quote:
"Today at the news conference he said he had agreed to the Disney contract mainly to help Tokuma, which had backed him when he was starting out and which now apparently needs the money, including what is expected to be a $10 million to $30 million payment at the outset."

Fair enough, but he could just pay them out of his own pocket, if he was well off enough.

Quote:
So he allowed Tokuma to license Ghibli's films to Disney, to cover Tokuma's "urgent need" for funding. Miyazaki was helping Tokuma to have a good future; simple as that.

Yeah, but they could have licensed the rights to a local distributor.

Quote:
If Tokuma didn't need the large money, Miyazaki wouldn't have cared if his films never again got licensed to the West - he only cared about Japan.

He's said as such about Japan, but when even Kokuriko-zaka disappointed, he might be thinking differently now. Besides, he wouldn't be going to the trouble of selling official HK/Taiwan DVDs if the piracy over here hadn't significantly cut into his profits. So I think Miyazaki wants to be "niche", but at the same time, isn't going to shrug off opportunities to expand his brand. He might have used the Tokuma deal as a pretext, but he probably liked the idea of being a power player at the Mouse House, since that wouldn't have even be a possibility ten years prior.
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:36 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
mudduck454 wrote:
wonder if another company might swoop in and try to license it, would be funny to see funimation sneak in and grab this title, and redub it,

Ghibli wouldn't allow that. They only work with companies they could trust, and there are very few. Laughing

Plus, why would anyone want to bother redubbing this film? It's already got a superb dub courtesy of Neil Gaiman and Jack Fletcher, and it's so hard for me to listen to this movie in anything but English. The dub is just that good. I'd hate to see it get jettisoned for any reason.

Anyway, I do hope Lasseter takes note of the situation and gets MONONOKE brought back; I'd like to see this title get a BluRay release, and I don't really think Disney would just let a Ghibli title they licensed go to waste... unless they are still burned over how it didn't find the audience it deserved theatrically, despite the DVD sales.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:41 pm Reply with quote
TurnerJ: Actually, I'd be ok with axing Danes and having literal translations instead of "donkey piss".
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:36 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
TurnerJ: Actually, I'd be ok with axing Danes and having literal translations instead of "donkey piss".

Those are such insignificant issues to me. Neil Gaiman's translation may take liberties, but I felt he did a great job of capturing the essence of the story overall. As far as the donkey piss line is concerned, yes, it is an odd line, but on the other hand, using the insult in the literal translation "hot water" would never work in favor of traditional audiences unfamiliar with Japanese culture.

I'm also of the belief that literal translations are not the kind that would work in favor of dubs, especially if they come across as very stiff and awkward to read. Hey, it's even been said that Miyazaki prefers Gaiman's description of "The Forest Spirit" to his "Deer God". I understand that purists may favor literal translations, but I would rather the scripts flow smoothly, not slavishly to the point of being unnatural.

As far as Danes is concerned, she was nowhere near bad to my ears. There were a couple of missed lines, but otherwise I had no problem with her. Then again, I've never had any problems with any of the Disney Ghibli dubs.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Turner:
Quote:
As far as the donkey piss line is concerned, yes, it is an odd line, but on the other hand, using the insult in the literal translation "hot water" would never work in favor of traditional audiences unfamiliar with Japanese culture.

Yes, but it distracts from the overall tone of the movie.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:07 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Turner:
Quote:
As far as the donkey piss line is concerned, yes, it is an odd line, but on the other hand, using the insult in the literal translation "hot water" would never work in favor of traditional audiences unfamiliar with Japanese culture.

Yes, but it distracts from the overall tone of the movie.

In what way? That monk always seemed like an earthy type to me. (And yes, this one I actually saw subbed first.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Key: PM's not a comedy, and the guy's using a subtle insult. When he says it more obviously in the dub, it's like the movie starts being about him, and not about the setting itself.
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Meh.... whatever, I didn't have a problem with it either way. That would have been a trick decision no matter what in terms of translation. But that hardly detracts from the film.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:35 pm Reply with quote
TurnerJ wrote:
Meh.... whatever, I didn't have a problem with it either way. That would have been a trick decision no matter what in terms of translation. But that hardly detracts from the film.
Agreed. It was just a joke--it amused me, but it sure as hell didn't shift my focus from the story, or any of that. Doesn't dectract from anything.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3