• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
YuruYuri (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:07 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:

And darkchibi07, how did you not start this thread? You don't post a lot, but it's pretty clear from your other posts that this is totally your kind of thing, so I was surprised you hadn't made a thread yet.

Two reasons. One, I'm getting kind of bored doing this; I think I'm more adept on tweeting my thoughts on specific episodes. Second reason is mostly outlined on the Preview Guide thread. I'm mostly split whether I want Yuru Yuri to succeed or not and what kind of effect it'll make in the industry in popularizing and fully appreciating yuri.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:20 am Reply with quote
Well I decided to watch episode 3 and this episode sat better with me. This was a highly anticipated title for me but I guess I gave it too high of an expectation. Actually I tend not to watch many 4 girls, slice-of-lifes. Something has to grab my attention and it was the "Yuri" part that grabbed my attention with this one. With Mitsudomoe it was just the crazyness and tormented teacher aspect (actually it's a 3 girls show, how odd).

Like I said earlier in the thread I wanted the yuri to be a bit more prominent I guess, as in actual sort of relationship building but still a funny and easygoing series. One thing I realize though this show is not a late night show and it's not ecchi. It comes off as and I'm sure it was intended to be semi-family friendly, not that it isn't a show for otaku also. I'm not sure which group it's for.

What I'm trying to get as is the show is very anti-climactic in it's lead ups to things. For example, Kyoko wants to take a bath with Chinatsu, but she gets forced out of the bathing room. We all know there's dozens of anime out there where there are girls taking baths together and that doesn't imply yuri. Also Yui is pretty boyish, she's got the prince-type-of-girl-that-other-girls-get-dreamy-over look going. And Kyoko ends up staying the night at her place. It was all focused on Kyoko's foolishness, nothing happened like what would be expected if this was any other anime with 2 girls alone in an apartment and Yui being the typecast type of character she is.

And another scene where they are cooking and no one spills anything or even has the urge to make a bento box? Well I hope they are doing this to keep us in suspense to make any developments seem more worthwhile. But I should know better, nothing is going to develop. There won't be anything perverted or exciting. This is just a dull, slice of life show Anime cry
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:10 am Reply with quote
"It'll be over by the time you count the stains on the ceiling." Laughing
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
"It'll be over by the time you count the stains on the ceiling." Laughing
boy you wild Anime Anime hyper quit clownin though. what u think bout it? You seen it yet?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:24 pm Reply with quote
"I want to eat you, Chitose-chan." Laughing
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Is this supposed to be a parody/homage show, because it's acting like one. Last episode we had a scene I thought might've been a parody of Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke wo, and this one has a joke that's clearly from Azumanga Daioh (the hair flying off). Not to mention the ED reminds me a lot of AZD's OP with the jumping girls and a little bit of Minami-ke's with the "Hai Hai Hai" parts. Then both Yui and Kyoko are extremely similar to Chika and Miu from Strawberry Marshmallow. I like the show a lot, but it's like a whole bunch of shows thrown together. Maybe I just watch too much anime.

Also, the quiet moment at the end with Kyoko and Yui was so sweet. It wasn't funny or anything, but I really liked it.

darkchibi07 wrote:
Second reason is mostly outlined on the Preview Guide thread. I'm mostly split whether I want Yuru Yuri to succeed or not and what kind of effect it'll make in the industry in popularizing and fully appreciating yuri.

I don't know how well it'll sell (my guess would be 3-4k combined), but I don't think it'll hurt yuri. I'm not yuri expert, and I've only seen a handful of titles, but the yuri that is in the show is extremely light and used for comedy, but not in an "insulting to lesbians" kind of way. None of the girls are lesbians (well, the two that argue might be, along with Chitose) and none of them seem emotionally confused, so I'm not sure it'd have any kind of impact on yuri because it's tackling it in any kind deep or thought provoking way like Wandering Son did with transgenderism. It's harmless fun and I doubt many will walk away thinking their middle school daughter/sister might be gay and how funny it'd be.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:40 am Reply with quote
Wasn't planning on watching it, but with so many posts I decided to watch the three episodes released already. Got to say that it aint bad, kind of makes me think of a mix of Ichigo Mashimaro and Kanamemo, with sprinkles from other shows. They dynamic with Kyouko and yui especialy feels like Ichigo mashimaro's Miu and Chika, though Kyouko looks strangely more Ojousama than that type of character usually is.

For some reason Akari really reminds me of Nanoha, kind of funny as Chinatsu looks like the magical girl kind. I like the character Chitose (white haird girl), I recognise the voice from a lot of roles, and the comparing her to previous roles like Yui, Uiharu, Kana etc. Where she is often the pure spirited girl, pssibly around a yuri like situation, but having her here being a pervert is rather funny. The nosebleeds make me think Maria Holic, but she is way less anoying than Kanako.

Still Kyouko is my favourite character can't help but like those type of characters. I don't know why everyone was thinking that Akari's sister would be younger,the whole dark messy room is just suposed to be sterotypical teen/young adult being like that, she is like Nobue, or like Haruka from Kanamemo.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4.

Maybe it is just the mood I'm in, but to me all the gags in this episode seemed to fall flat. It seems like they are just going through the motions, and expect you to do the same.

To make it worse, at least for me, I have absolutely never found the nosebleed thing in the slightest bit amusing. Not the first time. Not the ten thousandth time. Maybe there is somebody somewhere that LOLs at it. In this one Chitose does it about 10 times and it is a bore each time. It doesn't even have slapstick spontaneity to it because the schtick is she does it on purpose after taking off her glasses.

This anime is going downhill fast. I had such high hopes for it.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Generally I have to agree, the episode was an exercise in going through the motions. The girl with the nosebleed is definitely a one joke character. Or rather its the way they can do the little fantasy bits. The problem is that the delivery mostly ruins those jokes, you always know what's coming because of it. I liked the hand out of nowhere with the tissues though.

That and Akarin's Tanabata wish were the only jokes I really enjoyed this week.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:55 am Reply with quote
Yeah jokes were not really inspired in episode 4, they kind of overdid it on the nosebleed thing which as it was stayed past its welcome in the sick incident. I was liking the Chitose character before, but her one joke is turning her into a Kanako.

Perhaps i also felt that Kyouko had a smaller presence, things seem a lot funnier when she does something stupid with a slapstick response. Ayano ain't bad either, but she only felt like half a formulae with an under used Kyouko, I think I have fallen into liking Kyouko X Ayano. Ironicly I think the last time I aproved of a yuri pairing as much it was Kyouko X Sayaka.

Anyway, hopefully it will be better next time, they probably just need to mix it up a bit, throw in a creepy neutral cat thing.
superunature

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:46 am Reply with quote
if you watch closely, you'll see that the student council is at the beach as well. and mysteriously disappears
Scormio

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:06 pm Reply with quote
So is Akarin the main character or not? I know thats part of the joke, but she literally went missing for like a third of the episode.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:46 pm Reply with quote
To be honest, I don't recall the Yuru Yuri manga to reach this amount of gay-ish moments (the more pronounced "love triangle" among Chinatsu, Yui and Kyouko and the anime staff utterly milking Chitose's yuri vision). Probably because when it was originally on Yuri Hime S new chapters are released quarterly so I didn't get much scope in how yuri this will get. With that in mind, I find myself enjoying this quite a bit more than the manga.

On another note, if this does sell well it'll be quite interesting for the next evolution of moe will go from "cute girls doing cute things" to "cute LESBIAN girls doing cute things (or doing other cute girls)."
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:07 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
On another note, if this does sell well it'll be quite interesting for the next evolution of moe will go from "cute girls doing cute things" to "cute LESBIAN girls doing cute things (or doing other cute girls)."

And Panmoe's box has been opened.
Scormio

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:17 pm Reply with quote
I dunno why, but I legitimately fell off my stool laughing when spoiler[yui and hyoko walked in on chinatsu "practicing" on akarin.] I mean, I know I've seen similar situations before, but that just REALLY cracked me up.

I like how they're progressing the yuri content too. It might actually be a full-blown yuri show by the ending.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5