• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Blood-C (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:13 pm Reply with quote
I would totally watch a simultaneously-running comedy series about the janitors, maintenance crews, and bureaucrats who have to deal with the aftermath of these episodes.

"Hi, principal, I'm the school janitor. I know this is a difficult time for us all, but I think I deserve a bit of a raise."

"Hear about Hiro?"
"Yeah, man. Ripped in half by a bird monster. I picked up his intestines yesterday."
"Relaxing country life, they said. I'm going back to Tokyo to try my luck on pachinko machines. It's a safer gamble."
PrimalX3

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:11 pm Reply with quote
That was an intriguing development, wonder what Saya is gonna do now?

spoiler[Nearly all her friends are gone, and she was breaking down a lot during the episode. I wonder what kind of promise this is and how it works exactly?]
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:42 pm Reply with quote
It was foolish of me to expect we will finally get some answers.

I am really on the fence with this series. They spoiler[kill everyone right and left without much thinking], and again Saya almost-reaches some interesting conclusions, but nothing comes out of it. When she asked Tokizane why other people were not in school she accepted his weird excuse, and somehow forgot about the one teacher that did turn up... I wonder what is Kanako's role in there, is she spoiler[an Elder as well]?

I don't really know, not that it is bad, but it is a bit tiring to see another episode not offering much instead of new questions.
swienke

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10:

And with the end of this episode we now enter true mindscrew territory. Not the violent Truman Show-esque vibe that's permeated the series so far, but a clusterfuck of brain-melting developments that reminds me more of Evangelion than anything else (I just hope that it makes more sense than Eva's end did).

Yes people, spoiler[the twins are back. And not just back, but seemingly unperturbed by everything that's gone on so far and quite happy to molest Saya if the next episode preview is any guide.] I'm not really sure how I feel about this. On one hand, it's always kind of awesome to have most of my guesses so completely subverted. However, I'm now afraid that we'll find out that spoiler[it's all a magical illusion or virtual reality and all of the deaths in the series so far will be absolutely meaningless. I'm really, really hoping that CLAMP will be able to pull something a little more clever than that out of their hat.]

Other points about the episode:
- Huh, I'm a little surprised to see spoiler[ Tokizane bite it so soon. I originally thought that he was either going to be safe, or he was going to have some big dramatic death at the very end. Nope, he's just monster chow like the rest of them, and Saya's only angry about it for approximately 5 seconds.] Nice.

- This week's Elder Bairn is not only the most talkative yet, but it's easily as freaky as the eyeball-thing. And lo and behold, it's death wasn't censored! See, I.G., you can do it if you try Shocked Laughing

- This episode pretty much confirms that the spoiler[ guimauves contain blood, and that Tadayoshi is drinking from Fumito (though that could be a red herring). Fumito's insistence on having Saya drink all of her coffee also reinforces the theory that he's drugging her through it. ]

- Speaking of the Elder Bairn again, I'm intrigued by its declaration that spoiler[what they eat isn't nearly as bad as the "forbidden fruit" that Saya consumes. Seriously, what's more forbidden than human flesh? I wonder if maybe the blood in the guimauves is actually Tadayoshi's blood, since he certainly doesn't seem all that human anymore. If he's an Elder Bairn himself, than it would make sense that other Elder Bairn's might view Saya's ingestion of his blood as cannibalism. ]
Raftina

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:15 am Reply with quote
swienke wrote:
- Huh, I'm a little surprised to see spoiler[ Tokizane bite it so soon. I originally thought that he was either going to be safe, or he was going to have some big dramatic death at the very end. Nope, he's just monster chow like the rest of them, and Saya's only angry about it for approximately 5 seconds.] Nice.

Watch the next episode preview. That character appears to be the one who was holding the vial of blood in episode 11. This certainly adds to the suspicion of a vast conspiracy designed to screw with Saya's head. It would not be at all surprising to learn that many other characters are implicated. Certainly the implication that spoiler[the twins are some evil spirits/monsters in human guise that are messing with Saya] is heavy in the next episode preview.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:36 am Reply with quote
I have officially become impatient with the slow pace of the reveals ... and just the general slow pace of everything. There is nothing worse than being way out ahead of a character and having to wait for them to catch up. My guess is the idea is that "the deal" will only be revealed in, like, the last two minutes of the final episode. Certainly, with two eppies left, there doesn't seem to be much time for Saya to react to whatever she's going to find out.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:57 pm Reply with quote
I gave up after the episode with the multiple armed samurai monster.

Saya sad, some slooow development, more hints that the food and coffee means something special. Monster comes, slaughters someone, calls her weak, smacks her around until her eyes turn red, she kills the monster.

actually I meant to continue but when the next one came time to premiere I just couldn't motivate myself to watch it.

They never should have made this into a series. It all could all be done in one action packed movie length feature or short OVA series. Hints given once each, just a couple mini-boss fights. All the friends bite it in just one or two confrontations.
A show like this shows just how silly that question in the Polls section is, about choosing a shows length should be. Some shows can't fit in 13, some are stretching at 24 and this doesn't even have enough content for 6 episodes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:42 pm Reply with quote
I sort of started thinking that Saya is an spoiler[Elder as well- when the this weeks monster called her a puppet of the humans]. Not that it really matters since the episode brought a few more Saya's headaches and new hints that perhaps, maybe next time we will see more than hints. I understand that Saya is being drugged by Fumito (I remember earlier in the series she passed out after his ever so helpful coffee service), but she still seems to be remembering a lot about the samurai speech etc, and somehow is not bothered to ask any questions.

I guess it is gonna be No6 all over again for me, with everything explained in the last second. Shame, because if you took out the best bits of it, it would be an enjoyable 6 episode OAV or something.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:32 am Reply with quote
Unicorn_Blade wrote:
I guess it is gonna be No6 all over again for me, with everything explained in the last second. Shame, because if you took out the best bits of it, it would be an enjoyable 6 episode OAV or something.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm feeling like the scriptwriters for this season were all fans of this old British show from the sixties:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Prisoner

I halfway expect one of the Elder Bairnes to show up in the form of a giant white balloon and chase Saya down the street ... lol
prime_pm

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11:

I have never known more about what isn't going on in an anime.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Seems simple enough. spoiler[The show was so dully repetitive and filled with nonsensical details that even the show is pointing it out. They even have a physical embodiment of plot armor.]

I'm not exactly sure how I feel about that. On the one hand, it's sort of funny that the show spoiler[joins all of us in pointing out what can be so stupid with these kinds of shows. (Count the number of comments about how dumb certain aspects of the show were that were mentioned in the episode itself)] On the other hand spoiler[this is totally the kind of show that CLAMP writes, so I don't think we can credit them for pointing it out.]
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:02 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
Unicorn_Blade wrote:

Maybe it's just me, but I'm feeling like the scriptwriters for this season were all fans of this old British show from the sixties:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Prisoner

I halfway expect one of the Elder Bairnes to show up in the form of a giant white balloon and chase Saya down the street ... lol

I would totally get into this series if a cartoon Leo McKern showed up in the last act, especially if he then put on a horsehair wig and stuff gown followed by Phoenix Wright showing up for a crossover. Oh, wait, I've suddenly made this not about its lead character.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:22 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:47 am Reply with quote
The saucy twins crack me up. spoiler[I wonder what "hijinks" they got up to that requires their records to be expunged?] I was kinda hoping Sayaspoiler[ would snap out of her trance and slaughter sensei, twins and Bad Boy,] but oh well - next eppie, mebbers?
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:22 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I was kinda hoping Sayaspoiler[ would snap out of her trance and slaughter sensei, twins and Bad Boy,] but oh well - next eppie, mebbers?

I hope so, but the genre rules say it's the spoiler[tiger thingy with arms for ears] that handles that. spoiler["Oh, no, what have we done!!!"] Saya'll probably just sing a song while it happens.
Rime of the Ancient Otaku

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:41 pm Reply with quote
I've been watching Blood C from the start, and I think I've finally got this show figured out.

Like spoiler[Shiki], it explores spoiler[who the bigger monster is: the authentic Creature(s) or the Humans]. This is not a surprise to me--I started seeing signs of it back spoiler[ when one of the folks Saya saves runs screaming into the night after she is offered a blood-spattered hand up off the ground. The reactions of her "enemies" has also always been a little off: ranging from annoyance to pity]. The surprise for me after watching Episode 11 is that it looks even worse than I thought: spoiler[ the only beings that haven't been out to use Saya from the start are the Elder Bairns themselves].

Near as I can tell: spoiler[the whole damn town is a sacrificial smorgasbord, created by the Powers-that-be to hold up the Human end of the Contract which specifically allows Elder Bairns their pound of human flesh (in return they don't use the whole nation as their hunting grounds). This hunting season however, the humans have thrown a captured, chemically-induced amnesic in their way: fight fire with fire and the like. It's dirty pool: like setting a lobotomized wolf as guard dog on a deliberately staked-out lamb.]

Yttrbio wrote:
Blood- wrote:
I was kinda hoping Sayaspoiler[ would snap out of her trance and slaughter sensei, twins and Bad Boy,] but oh well - next eppie, mebbers?

I hope so, but the genre rules say it's the spoiler[tiger thingy with arms for ears] that handles that. spoiler["Oh, no, what have we done!!!"] Saya'll probably just sing a song while it happens.

Wanna bet the spoiler["tiger thingy with arms for ears"] is spoiler[the full form of the elfin, talking doggie-thing that has been trying to jog her memory the entire series]?
That was one of my beefs with Episode 11 by the way: that thing tore through the shed, everyone runs...and the moment they hit the gate it's as though it hadn't been in the episode at all.

I figure next episode Saya will probably end up fighting her staunchest supporter spoiler[(next to her "Father" anyway...I have my suspicions "Dad" was the Elder Bairn used to catch Saya in the first place, and is the secret ingredient in the Guimauves)] to protect humans that don't deserve it, simply because of the Promise...likely made by herself to herself.
...And then she spoiler[will walk away to take the next decade or so off to decompress. Meanwhile, the Powers-that-be blow all survivors away: if they can't keep up their end of an ancient bargain to vastly superior supernatural beings, snot-nosed money-grubbers and nasty little actresses can be guaranteed the cake is a lie.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 12