• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Packaging Questions

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rukiia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:48 pm Reply with quote
I don't know about you guys but I think I might have to pass on the LE set since this looks ridiculous. I love the idea of Combo packs but not when the boxsets are designed to only fit the DVD cases while shunning the Blu-ray sized case. I am planning to get the Blu-ray of S&W yet, when I buy Season 2, I don't want the LE box if the Blu-ray set is just going to tumble right out.

Last edited by Rukiia on Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Guren Alchemist4

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:17 pm Reply with quote
We were discussing this the other day in the Packaging Questions thread. Not only did they screw the blu-ray buyers, but also the people who purchased the original DVD release as the spine on the Viridian collection is the only one that matched the season 2 box set. Admittedly, the blu-ray box seems to be a bigger issue as it won't even fit in the box properly and mine, being a first release buyer, is more with the lack of similarity between the two spines.

I received my copy of the second season of Spice and Wolf today, and the art on the filler box is gorgeous. Since my first season box doesn't match anyway, I'm just going to keep filler box intact with the 2nd season box set. I did get the coin from Right Stuf though, and I'm sure they will help your friend out with that cause their customer service seems to be great from what I've seen on this site.

Last edited by Guren Alchemist4 on Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:21 am; edited 1 time in total
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:01 am Reply with quote
I knew this was gonna look awful from the get-go. Sad
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:43 am Reply with quote
Guren Alchemist4 wrote:

I received my copy of the second season of Spice and Wolf today, and the art on the filler box is gorgeous. Since my first season box doesn't match anyway, I'm just going to keep filler box intact with the 2nd season box set.

Yeah sounds like what I'll be doing. Just like how I have my Black Butlers side by side, rather than put the part 2 thinpacks inside the chipboard (I wish the filler could've fit in the part 2 box...)

But with the blu ray and DVD not quite "matching", isn't it... to be expected that they wouldn't size up, due to blu ray's smaller stature?
Guren Alchemist4

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:07 am Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:

But with the blu ray and DVD not quite "matching", isn't it... to be expected that they wouldn't size up, due to blu ray's smaller stature?

You and your logic.Mad As collectors, we reserve our right to rage.Laughing
Scormio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:55 am Reply with quote
I'm one of those people who bought the original season 1 set. I don't really mind the non-matching that much though, since I'm just going to have the back cover with Holo smiling facing out anyway.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:43 pm Reply with quote
My K-ON BD art box came in today, an I thought I'd share some pics in case anyone else is interested.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg16/scaled.php?server=16&filename=1010236d.jpg&res=medium

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg819/scaled.php?server=819&filename=1010237.jpg&res=medium

It's pretty nice excluding the typical Madman tags. I don't know why they do it directly on the box (or the cases), but it doesn't ruin it for me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:51 pm Reply with quote
The artwork itself is nice, though I'm not a fan of the pink colour. And the ratings logos....ugh. How much does this cost?
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:35 pm Reply with quote
I don't know, I like the pink. Then again, I've always liked the color pink. As for price, despite the site saying $34.95, it's $32.77 according to my receipts. And the shipping is reasonable as well; it cost $8 to ship both this art box and my Dragon Destiny one.

Here's the listing on their site.

I just love how you list off two things that annoy you versus one good thing, but you know that in the end you can't fight your inner collector. No one can.

If you want a box that doesn't have ratings on it or pink, Germany has a box as well, but they only have a DVD one.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:31 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
I just love how you list off two things that annoy you versus one good thing, but you know that in the end you can't fight your inner collector. No one can.

Hahaha, how true! But I actually don't know if I'm going to even bother with the K-On! singles, as appealing as owning a bluray artbox sounds (the only one I have is Diebuster Vs Gunbuster, and it is veryyyy nice). At the moment I can't really afford buying what will amount to an $80-100 13 episode series. I'm hoping Bandai will release a complete bluray collection some other time (though I won't hold my breath).
WTK

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:38 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
It's pretty nice excluding the typical Madman tags. I don't know why they do it directly on the box (or the cases), but it doesn't ruin it for me.

FYI, the ratings logo/tag is pretty much out of Madman's control. It's something decided by the Australian government.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:07 pm Reply with quote
WTK wrote:
FYI, the ratings logo/tag is pretty much out of Madman's control. It's something decided by the Australian government.

Yeah it's quite annoying. My Gunbuster VS Diebuster boxset came from the UK (it's region free), and it has the PEGI symbols on the individual BD cases. It's much smaller than the example here, but it's annoying nonetheless.
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Just got my Tales of the Abyss vol. 1 LE, so figured I'd post the pictures I took for the ToA LJ community

Quote:
The box itself is really nice, thinner than regular artboxes, but thicker than just flimsy cardboard. As you can (kinda) see in one of the pictures, the inside of the box is wallpapered as well, instead of just the outside and edges.

The Box

Everything in the box

The Contents

The Inside of the Box

The Disc (no insert, drats)

Didn't take pictures of the covers of the DVD or manga, since we've seen them individually.

On the spine of the box, there's a smirking headshot of Luke, then the logo (English, Japanese below, and Fonic Script in the background), with the same "Limited Edition" bar that's at the top of the front, and the number under it. The top has the logo and Limited Edition + # bar, the bottom lists and shows the contents of the box. The back of the box matches the back of the DVD, except in white instead of the purple color of the DVD.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:38 am Reply with quote
Wait, wait, wait.

You're telling me that Bandai, the company that didn't think it'd be worth it to make an art box for K-ON - the show made famous by hardcore collector-types, the show they're releasing in SINGLES and, basically, the basket they're putting all their eggs in - but thought it'd totally be worth it for a sub-only, half DVD set show that I think people forgot existed since it was delayed for so long and didn't use the VG cast?

fudge Bandai.
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:07 pm Reply with quote
It's not half sets. 4 discs, with 6-7 episodes on each.

It's Tales of. Arguably more well-known than K-ON! is in the US (I'd never heard of K-ON! more than in passing until we had the 3 VA at Sakura-Con), and has the game's playerbase as a pre-installed fanbase. It'll sell well for the same reason Persona 4 the Animation's already licensed. Still, they're stretching it across 4 discs, so the nice packaging'll keep people buying it (checking TSRI, the SRP is $35, which is a bit steep these days for only 7 episodes).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 17 of 28