• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Akira Film's Plot Listed by Casting Call

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkhorse333

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:17 pm Reply with quote
1. So to those that are arguing that this movie is "racist" because the lack of Japanese cast or whatever points you may find that give you this idea, I have a few things to tell you. Making movies is a business. The number of Japanese, let alone Asian actors that have any brand recognition are few and far between. To cast an all Asian cast would mean that no one would go see it unless it was a true masterpiece. Since the probability of that occurring is nowhere near high enough, no studio exec would fund the project in and hold true to that condition.

2. The setting being Manhattan instead of Tokyo is sad, because I that landscape would be cool especially done with today's tech, but the actors would stand out and it would be weird.

3. The solution to all these issues is to NOT CALL IT AKIRA, but instead just use the plot and "base" it on the manga/movie. Like how Magnificent Seven was just a western version of Seven Samurai.

But that's just my opinion. Honestly, I see this movie getting a limited release. If it does get a full release, marketing won't become active until 1 to 2 weeks prior to the preview, which will be too late.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:24 pm Reply with quote
GracieLizzy wrote:
I can only assume they've aged them up to make the film more marketable as action films don't usually star teens.

Hey, you brought up an interesting point.
When's the last time many people here have gone to the theater for a Hollywood movie starring teens?
Probably Harry Potter? (But they started young.)
Most teens can't act to support a "tentpole" film. Laughing
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:42 am Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
So...the reactions so far summed up?

"OMG! It's an adaptation that's slightly differant from the source material! Those white-imperialistic-yankee-hollywood-dogs are raping my childhood!!!!"

Rolling Eyes

darkhorse333 wrote:
1. So to those that are arguing that this movie is "racist" because the lack of Japanese cast or whatever points you may find that give you this idea, I have a few things to tell you. Making movies is a business. The number of Japanese, let alone Asian actors that have any brand recognition are few and far between. To cast an all Asian cast would mean that no one would go see it unless it was a true masterpiece. Since the probability of that occurring is nowhere near high enough, no studio exec would fund the project in and hold true to that condition.

You 2 are both correct. It looks like these same group of people have forgotten about Toei's Spiderman. Now how is that any different from US doing Akira? Also I like to add this is just like how people complain about US remaking Asian film, but yet I don't hear any complaint from these same group of people about how Asia is doing the same thing to American film, yes Asia can remake film that include American one also. I'll give you the timeline, and the link with the article/info on the remake:

2008: China/HK remake Cellular into Connected. This was the film that started the Asian remake American film fad.

2008: South Korea remake Phone booth, Cell Phone.

2009: Japan remake it's first American film, Sideways.

2010: China remake 2 more American films, What Women Want, and High School Musical.

2010: Japan remake a classic French film, Elevators to the Gallows.

2010: Japan/South Korea remake Ghost.

2010: Japan did a semi-remake, semi-sequel to Paranormal Activity.

Future remake being done by Asia: Japan will remake An Affair to Remember, Working Girls, and South Korea will remake Breakfast at Tiffanys.

Hm, so while people in US complain about Hollywood remaking Asian film. Why aren't these same group of people doing the same thing when Asia remake American film. That's what I find racist, and it's a sign that there are too many weeaboo, and Pro-Asian supremacist throwing "racism" and "whitewashing" when Asia is sort of doing the same thing.

Oh I like to add Japan have it's own version of Saturday Night Live, and China's has it own version of The Office.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
chibiyusa

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:03 am Reply with quote
darkhorse333 wrote:
1. So to those that are arguing that this movie is "racist" because the lack of Japanese cast or whatever points you may find that give you this idea, I have a few things to tell you. Making movies is a business. The number of Japanese, let alone Asian actors that have any brand recognition are few and far between. To cast an all Asian cast would mean that no one would go see it unless it was a true masterpiece.

What are you talking about? Hollywood movies cast relative unknowns in lead roles all the time.
And there are plenty of talented and Asian-American actors out there and given the chance, they can easily bring in the crowds. I mean, we wouldn't have a third Harold and Kumar movie if this wasn't the case. Those movies are pretty fun, but I'd hardly call them masterpieces.
I'm not saying the whole cast needs to be Asian but I'm saying that it's a bit weird to retain the Asian names with white actors while at the same time having the one Asian actor play the bad guy. I mean, it would not be out of place to cast a non white actor because last I checked Asians compromised at least 10% of the population in Manhattan and non-Hispanic Whites less than 50%.

mdo7 wrote:
Hm, so while people in US complain about Hollywood remaking Asian film. Why aren't these same group of people doing the same thing when Asia remake American film. That's what I find racist, and it's a sign that there are too many weeaboo, and Pro-Asian supremacist throwing "racism" and "whitewashing" when Asia is sort of doing the same thing.

Asians can't be American too? Or at the very least they can't be cast in roles that have Asian names. I mean, Asian-Americans are a pretty significant demographic, especially in Manhattan so it would not at all be out of place to have one as a main hero, especially if his name is still going to be distinctly Japanese.
I have no problem with remakes, just as long as they respect the source material. It's definitely not a new trend in global cinema and I highly doubt it started in the 2000s.
Also from what I understand you have an issue with Asian remakes of American films not casting... white people? Caucasians are not even a significant population in most Asian countries. What exactly is the point you are trying to make?

Last edited by chibiyusa on Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:30 am Reply with quote
Zac: Yeah, because Last Samurai totally bombed being set in Japan. Oh, wait! Rolling Eyes
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:20 am Reply with quote
chibiyusa wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

Asians can't be American too? Or at the very least they can't be cast in roles that have Asian names. I mean, Asian-Americans are a pretty significant demographic, especially in Manhattan so it would not at all be out of place to have one as a main hero, especially if his name is still going to be distinctly Japanese.
I have no problem with remakes, just as long as they respect the source material. It's definitely not a new trend in global cinema and I highly doubt it started in the 2000s.
Also from what I understand you have an issue with Asian remakes of American films not casting... white people? Caucasians are not even a significant population in most Asian countries. What exactly is the point you are trying to make?

I never said that Asian can't be American. I too am Asian-Americans, it just that ever since Hollywood remake The Ring and subsequently, a lot of Asian films. A lot of people bash and insult Hollywood just for remaking Asian films. But yet I don't hear that same amount of complaints when Asia remake American films. When did I ever said Asian remakes of American films not casting white people. I'm complaining why people hate American remake of Asian films, but yet they seem to defend Asian remake of American films.

Look I'm all for a Hong Kong remake of Heat if they ever do it and I would love to see Andy Lau playing Robert Deniro's characters for that remake, and I would love to see Japan remaking The Godfather with Sonny Chiba playing a Japanese equivalent of Vito Corleone.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SailorDeath

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:43 am Reply with quote
prime_pm

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:45 am Reply with quote
Don't forget Big B which was a Malaysian remake of Four Brothers which was loosely based on The Sons of Katie Elder.
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:10 am Reply with quote
@md07

The problem isn't the fact that there's an adaptation. What you cited does not address the issue because those have changed characters that correspond with the setting, and some of which have changed titles as well.

Are the asian characters in those films addressing each other as "Hello, Mr. David Atkinson" or some such?

As mentioned that's the problem here. The solution is to either stop calling this Akira or change the characters, since the story itself is already pretty different.
thebaron

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:09 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Juvenile delinquency is a key element of the story of Akira.

Hollywood has put in the blender and fixed the story for moronic americans.
LargeView

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:06 pm Reply with quote
The funny thing about people here that are claiming there is nothing wrong with casting whites as the leads is the fact that it doesn't seem to occur to them that there are such people known as "Asian Americans" who live in the United States. I'm not lying. Look it up. They exist. And these "Asian Americans" are the ones that should be given chances

And like them and other Americans of color they are incredibly held back when it comes to leading roles in Hollywood movies. Statistic after statistic show that whites get leading roles even when either the role was originally another ethnicity or when the roles do not specify race. It is clear that the bigwigs in Hollywood practice racial discrimination and limit actors of color to largely stereotypical roles while their white counterparts get the quality lead roles and are protagonists in movies.

And anyone who claims that they are no known Asian American actors, ask yourself how the white actors that are known in Hollywood get there? They were given opportunities to rise up the ranks. Actors of color are rarely ever given opportunities. This here is such a project that could give Asian Americans lead roles, show off what they can do and rise up the ranks. There is no reason not to consider Asian Americans for the lead roles especially when it is being set in Manhattan which has a notable Asian presence. For example, that is where New York's Chinatown is located.

The rest of this post is in specific reply to mdo7.

Quote:
I never said that Asian can't be American. I too am Asian-Americans

Prove that you are Asian American.

As far as your post goes you didn't show any hypocrisy on the part of the people that are against this Hollywood movie's casting. In fact, you proved a lot of ignorance on your part. Like someone said afterward, the point you are trying to allude to about the Asian remakes not having whites as leads is moot because the majority of Asian countries don't have a significant non-Asian population unlike the United States which does have a significant nonwhite population.

Now, Toei's Spider-Man series was only made for the Japanese audiences. It never was officially released to the west until only recently when marvel started providing on streaming for the series and this was more or less 30 years after the show was aired.

There was already an American live action Spider-Man series by the time Toei created theirs which pretty much changed everything about Spider-Man except the costume and powers.

Now on to the list of remakes you put up:

First of all, provide another link for the South Korean movie you claim is a remake of "Phone Booth". All I found was that one link you posted but every other piece of information I have found on the internet including reviews I saw mention nothing of it being a remake of "Phone Booth". For all we know, that site you posted could be mistaken.

Paranormal Activity Tokyo Night is not a "semi-remake, semi-sequel". That doesn't even make any sense. It is a canonical sequel to the main Paranormal Activity franchise.

As far as the list of remakes are concerned it's interesting that you leave out a big piece of information in all of this. The majority of all those Asian remakes of Western properties are CO-PRODUCED by the Western companies and in many instances are spearheaded by the Western companies.

It even says as much in some of those links you provided. The owners of Saturday Night Live have been trying for years to extend the SNL brand internationally as they have also tried to make a SNL Spain and SNL Italy. BBC is producing the Chinese The Office. Disney produced the China High School Musical film. Paramount produced the Asian remake of Ghost. Fox produced the Japanese Sideways.

In fact, in regards to the Japanese remake of Sideways that movie actually takes place in California (not Japan) like the original film. With the exception of the four leads everyone in the movie is white.

Another interesting thing to point out is that in every instance of those Asian remakes, the advertisement and the remake's own credits make it quite clear that they are remakes of American films. Unlike many Hollywood remakes of Asian films where they try to hide the fact that they are remakes (e.g. in the not so good Hollywood remake of Infernal Affairs, you have to wait a couple of minutes during the end credits for it to give credit that it's a remake). Here's an example with the trailer to the Chinese remake of "What Women Want": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhHqflh2kU4&feature=related

Finally this goes back to what I was saying before at the beginning of my post. This is about ASIAN AMERICANS. This has nothing to do with Asian countries and what they do over there. There are Asian Americans in the United States but they, and other people of color in Hollywood, are discriminated against and not given lead roles and are limited to stereotypical nonsense while whites get all the opportunities even if the roles don't necessarily call for whites. Incidents like this Hollywood Akira movie are prime examples of this and this needs to stop.
firecrouch

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Is it possible these names are just placeholders for now. And as someone who hasn't read the manga or seen the film for years can someone please explain to me from what's based on this synopsis how much this plot differs and gets whitewashed, besides Kaneda being a bar owner and the story taking place in New York?
chibiyusa

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:46 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
chibiyusa wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

I never said that Asian can't be American. I too am Asian-Americans, it just that ever since Hollywood remake The Ring and subsequently, a lot of Asian films. A lot of people bash and insult Hollywood just for remaking Asian films. But yet I don't hear that same amount of complaints when Asia remake American films. When did I ever said Asian remakes of American films not casting white people. I'm complaining why people hate American remake of Asian films, but yet they seem to defend Asian remake of American films.

Look I'm all for a Hong Kong remake of Heat if they ever do it and I would love to see Andy Lau playing Robert Deniro's characters for that remake, and I would love to see Japan remaking The Godfather with Sonny Chiba playing a Japanese equivalent of Vito Corleone.

I never said I had an issue with remakes, only with white-washing.

firecrouch wrote:
can someone please explain to me from what's based on this synopsis how much this plot differs and gets whitewashed, besides Kaneda being a bar owner and the story taking place in New York?

It's being white-washed because Asian-American actors weren't even considered for these roles. Give this interview of George Takei a read, it might help you understand the point I'm trying to make.
I mean, it's still called Akira and retains the Japanese names for the main characters. Even if those names are placeholders, it does feel sort of off to have a movie called Akira but not have any Asian-American actors in the lead roles.
I more inclined to think the names aren't placeholders because from what little I remember from the animated movie, Ky Reed's character was originally someone named Kei who I don't think had a last name...
Um, Tetsuo and Kaneda were part of some bike gang. I don't recall Akira ever controlling Tetsuo either. Lady Miyako seems to be a character from the manga.
firecrouch

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Although the plot synopsis doesn't mention it I still think it's possible the main characters could be quite heavily involved in a biker gang setup.
MarzGurl

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:56 pm Reply with quote
chibiyusa wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
chibiyusa wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

I never said I had an issue with remakes, only with white-washing.

firecrouch wrote:
can someone please explain to me from what's based on this synopsis how much this plot differs and gets whitewashed, besides Kaneda being a bar owner and the story taking place in New York?

It's being white-washed because Asian-American actors weren't even considered for these roles. Give this interview of George Takei a read, it might help you understand the point I'm trying to make.
I mean, it's still called Akira and retains the Japanese names for the main characters. Even if those names are placeholders, it does feel sort of off to have a movie called Akira but not have any Asian-American actors in the lead roles.
I more inclined to think the names aren't placeholders because from what little I remember from the animated movie, Ky Reed's character was originally someone named Kei who I don't think had a last name...
Um, Tetsuo and Kaneda were part of some bike gang. I don't recall Akira ever controlling Tetsuo either. Lady Miyako seems to be a character from the manga.

Miyako was in the movie, as well, albeit with a somewhat downplayed roll. She was the religious street protest organizer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5