• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What is sold at an art table besides drawings?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
.Sy

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 7:33 pm Reply with quote
1) What have artists sold at art tables besides drawings/sketches/prints? Has anyone ever seen sculptures, etc. Has anyone seen any Asian crafts or anything?
2) What exactly is the price for a sketch/colored drawing that is...good but not to the professional level? Allright, so this sounds ambiguous. Better yet, what prices have you seen for art at a convention?

Last edited by .Sy on Sat May 07, 2005 11:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 10:29 pm Reply with quote
.Sy wrote:
1) What have artists sold at art tables besides drawings/sketches/prints? Has anyone ever seen sculptures, etc. Has anyone seen any Asian crafts or anything?
2) What exactly is the price for a sketch/colored drawing that is...good but not to the professional level? Okay, so this sounds ambiguous. Better yet, what prices have you seen for art at a convention?

1) I've seen other things. Comics/minicomics are popular. Sculptures aren't common, but at the last con I was at, my neighboring artist was selling painted animsal skulls - so basically, expect anything!

2) You'll have to show us a picture before we can judge what it's worth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
mrgazpacho

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 11:28 pm Reply with quote
I've seen an artist doing chibi caricatures "while-you-wait"
.Sy

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Haru to Ashura: To be honest, I really can't draw. But since I was invited to share an art table with a friend, I thought I'd sell these:Would these be of some interest to anyone? (just a couple of cents each)

Last edited by .Sy on Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 3:19 pm Reply with quote
.Sy wrote:
Haru to Ashura: To be honest, I really can't draw. But since I was invited to share an art table with a friend, I thought I'd sell these: Would these be of some interest to anyone? (just a couple of cents each)

Oh, they're cute! If you're sharing a table w/ a friend, then that sounds fine to me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
midori kou

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 12:14 am Reply with quote
I've seen bookmarkers, wallets, wooden boxes with the exterior designs, character badges, keychains, stickers, posters, t-shirts, cat ears... You name it. Anything that requires arts & crafts can be sold.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 11:05 am Reply with quote
.Sy wrote:
Haru to Ashura: To be honest, I really can't draw. But since I was invited to share an art table with a friend, I thought I'd sell these: Would these be of some interest to anyone? (just a couple of cents each)

Those are pretty cute. I'd say $.50 is a good price. Typically, things at art tables are really cheap. When I was at AX last year, I bought an adorable Di Gi Charat sketch from a doujinshi circle that had flown in from Japan. Even though she had been working on the piece for the good part of an hour, she only asked for $2. (Naturally, I felt kinda bad and thought I'd give her at least $5.)

I've noticed that the better a piece is, the cheaper it is. All the really good pictures/sculptures/etc I've seen are usually below $10. It's often only the crappy ones made by the people with iinflated egos and delusions of artistic ability that are devastatingly overpriced.
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I've noticed that the better a piece is, the cheaper it is. All the really good pictures/sculptures/etc I've seen are usually below $10. It's often only the crappy ones made by the people with iinflated egos and delusions of artistic ability that are devastatingly overpriced

That's true, but remember that some prints (if you're reffering to prints and not originals) are higher quality than others, and the artist simply has to cover their printing costs. Some people print on plain old computer paper, which is cheaper, but turns out like crap. Others buy nice photo paper and printers and stuff.
Vigilante024

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 10:12 am Reply with quote
When I was at Anime Boston there were people selling custom made clay pins on site
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Haru to Ashura wrote:
Quote:
I've noticed that the better a piece is, the cheaper it is. All the really good pictures/sculptures/etc I've seen are usually below $10. It's often only the crappy ones made by the people with iinflated egos and delusions of artistic ability that are devastatingly overpriced

That's true, but remember that some prints (if you're reffering to prints and not originals) are higher quality than others, and the artist simply has to cover their printing costs. Some people print on plain old computer paper, which is cheaper, but turns out like crap. Others buy nice photo paper and printers and stuff.

I was talking about originals. Most of the really good originals I see are sold at a ridiculously shocking low price.
tfcreate

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 4:03 am Reply with quote
This is a good opertunity to give an opinion on what you'd like.
What would you like to be sold at artist tables?

I've sold resin models and the like, but they tended to be expensive.

Remember, alot of things are often sold in the dealers room, so many cons frown on things not licenced, or in competition with the dealers.

TFC
Octonium

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 3:11 pm Reply with quote
The only sculptures I've seen at art tables have been small figurines that you can wear as a necklace. It was cool because the artist took requests for various characters, and made them overnight so you could pick them up the next day.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1