• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ben-to (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:22 am Reply with quote
I needed a cold shower after episode nine. spoiler[That was some hawt yuri action right there.]

Storywise... Nothing happened. I guess in terms of the story-driven aspect of the show you could class this one as filler. However, in terms of the humour-driven side it was pretty much made of win. From spoiler[Asebi's daily wakeup routine (She brushed Shiraume, right? Is that why Ume had such a tiring day? I was looking for more obvious indicators of bad fortune but couldn't really find any) to the M guy digging the abuse Satou was receiving], it was a return to form for the laughs aspect. Let's face it, last week fell a bit short on that count.

I don't really care too much for the twins, I don't think they add anything to the show. More Shiraume, however, would be lovely.
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Another god-damn strong episode, and another series 'saved' in eyes. I can almost forget the horror the Monarch arc has turned out to be. As long as the show keeps it's lighthearted feel and comedy as main attraction - it's golden. As Dorcas said Ben-to somehow makes all the main character interactions feel right, as it does not simply go through a routine of cliches but genuinely knows what it wants to do in any given scene (mostly). Added the strong characters and it's a 'win' on many levels.

Also, I would like to point out just how caring, understanding and sensitive Yarizui is. She got Sato to console Shaga when she needed it the most; she would not make fun of Sato when he came to the bento brawl in a girl's uniform and instead immediately accepted it as his hobby; then she would feel left out and get hurt if it seems Shaga & Sato keep petty secrets from her... Yarizui is by no means the very first character of this nature, but as they come very far in-between (the only one I can think of top of my head is Tomoe from Clannad), Yarizui certainly adds beautiful, new colours to Ben-to.
dan7el

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure I laughed a lot during Episode 8. This show is the surprise of the season. What a terrific show. I just finished Episode 9. The end left me laughing, thinking about what I was watching, and lauging some more. There were no ben-to battles either. spoiler[I'm sitting here thinking about the muscle magazine and can't stop laughing.]
richter3456

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:32 pm Reply with quote
The only reason I'm going to go ahead and watch this is because it mentions SEGA. That really sparked my attention.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:11 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

I like how the twins fight. I don't know how they're doing that black magic with shopping baskets, but that was a really cool fight. At first I didn't really care for the twins (I didn't hate them, but meh), but now I'm kind of curious why they're destroying everyone. I thought they wanted to, like, seduce Sen, but apparently they just wanted to kick her ass, and they succeeded.

I think we're in for one HELLUVA final fight.

I have my Sen and Shaga figures by SEGA on preorder. Do you?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:36 am Reply with quote
Definitely enjoying this arc much more than the so-called "Monarch" one where the Big Bad never really impressed me as a Big Bad. I am seriously going to enjoy watching those twin lezbos get their arrogant asses kicked.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:39 am Reply with quote
It is nice to see another half-price brawl, finally.

I kind of wish that once they gave the reveal that the twins were fighting with baskets, they ditched the black foggy effect. It makes what should be a cool fight scene somewhat less cool.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I think the Freak is gonna be *pissed* after what happened.

OTOH, I'm still trying to figure out how the Twins managed to defeat the Witch. Yes, it was two-on-one, but still... And they're not Wolves, either. Wolves fight for the food, not specifically to defeat one another.

But they'll get their's, I'm sure of it. Razz
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I think they went overboard with thespoiler[ black fog shopping baskets]. Sure, the fights have always been outrageous but they've followed their own logic up to this point (logic being- the strongest fighters are simply the strongest, best fighters and the only other way to succeed is to cheat). Now we have spoiler[amnesia inducing, black fog producing,] skinny waifs who can spoiler[beat the crap out of "anyone" to the point that they swear off further bento fights] for no discernible reason other than "because the can".

Well, that's not quite true I see where it's heading. They win because of spoiler["teamwork"- you know, twin powers, two heads-one body, that sort of thing]. So the next episode will be the requisite wallowing/sulking episode (the title suggests that there will be no bento fight) before spoiler[Sato and Yarizui team up and work together properly and beat them.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:08 pm Reply with quote
We should have an EVA-style training episode where Satou and Yen do everything together and in unison to improve their teamwork in battle. Their method? Playing SEGA games.

I don't know what it is, but I love all EVA parodies.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Actually, I was kind of hoping for a MP& The Holy Grail ending (maybe as a DVD extra). Everyone gathers up for the final fight and finally the cops show up haul them off to jail. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Why not both?
jl07045

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:22 am Reply with quote
I was thinking that the easiest way to win those twins is to simply toss Oshiroi in the line of fire and Ume will do the rest.
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:11 am Reply with quote
Any plan involving more Ume screentime is OK with me Twisted Evil
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:36 pm Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
I was thinking that the easiest way to win those twins is to simply toss Oshiroi in the line of fire and Ume will do the rest.

As amusing as that might be, I don't think Kyo and Kyo are interested enough in Oshiroi to provoke Ume into attacking them much.

The black fog annoyed me too. Makes it feel like they're using magic or something, and therefore cheating.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10