• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Whaddup Boston?!

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 1:02 am Reply with quote
Yes, I could have used the existing thread.

Ai'ight folks-- Anime Boston is a two fortnights away-- who's gonna be rockin' da hizouse wit me?!

I'd love to meet some of you folks there, so it'd be great if we could all have a rendezvous of some sort. I'll be heading up to Boston right after class that Friday, so I'll be there right at the start. (Course, I don't have a place to stay yet... hm... but I'll figure things out later. There's always more time to worry about details.)

What do you guys think? Let's get a head count! (Look! Japanese guests! AB rocks my world now! I just imported the RahX artbook so hopefully I can get an autograph. Very Happy)
nagash

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 1:19 am Reply with quote
I'm going to be really busy there. You'll have a better chance of running into me by accident than me finding you.

It's weird. I'm not actually a volunteer with the conventoin. I'm doing a few panels, but other than that, it's all between my anime/game business and N4.
More than likely, unless you're in the audience for the panles I'm on, you'll find me behind the table for Noreascon4, or moving very quickly through the halls to get somewhere.
Unlike Arisia, though, I can claim AnimeBoston on next years tax returns ^_^!

Incidentally, for anyone attending AnimeBoston, I do not recommend eating in the restaurants in the hotel itself. It's not that the food stinks. In fact, the food is quite good, but it's very, very expensive ($11 for a turkey club sandwich, in my book, is very, very expensive).
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 1:24 am Reply with quote
I am halfheatedly thinking of going to AB. If I do, it'll be a last minute decision, "Hmm, I think I'll go to boston tonight."
nagash

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 2:19 am Reply with quote
For those of you who are thinking or planning on attending AB, but aren't that familiar with Boston or what's going on in Boston that weekend, allow me to post some things to look out for.

1. The convention is from the 18th to the 20th. There is something else going on for all 3 days that will have a tremendous effect on travel to and from the conventoin: Red Sox are in town.
On the 18th, the game starts at 7:05.
On the 19th, the game starts at 1:20
On the 20th, the game starts at 2:05
Anyone who has used the green line knows what this means. Same goes for anyone who's tried to park in Boston during a game. Expect delays on the T and avoid Storrow Drive if you're driving. The website has directions for either, including tips on where to park (I'm aiming for the garage at the end of the block).

2. The Boston Marathon is on Monday, as well as another Red Sox game at 11:05. Nuff' said.

3. If, for whatever reason, you are flying in, expect heavy delays at Logan. Arrive at least 90 minutes early if you're leaving Boston.

4. For those of you coming in by train or commuter rail and aren't familiar with the subway lines:
At North Station, ask one of the conductors to point the way to the green line, or, when you get off the commuter rail, take a right, walk straight out of the building, take a left, walk to the street and you'll be looking at a staircase that takes you to the North Station green line T stop. You want the inbound train (very important).
At South Station, that will connect you to the red Line. You have to take the inbound train to Park St. and change to the green line. Any train but Lechmere will take you to Arlington St., which is the stop just down the street from the hotel.
If you're driving, check the website for directions. I know how I'd get there, but I'm familiar with some of the sidestreets so I can bypass most of the highway.

5. Another thing to keep your eye on: The Big Dig. If you're not familiar with it, interstate 93 is going underground, and it's actually coming along. It's supposed to be completed next year (don't hold your breath). It is causing delays all over the place if you drive.

6. As I said before, if you get hungry, don't eat at the hotel restaurants. It's very expensive to do so. Check out the other places around the hotel. There are a lot of them and most are worth it.

If you can get past the garbage of getting to the convention, I'm sure the convention will be well worth it. See you there.
Judau

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 7:51 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Yes, I could have used the existing thread.

Ai'ight folks-- Anime Boston is a two fortnights away-- who's gonna be rockin' da hizouse wit me?!

I'd love to meet some of you folks there, so it'd be great if we could all have a rendezvous of some sort. I'll be heading up to Boston right after class that Friday, so I'll be there right at the start. (Course, I don't have a place to stay yet... hm... but I'll figure things out later. There's always more time to worry about details.)

What do you guys think? Let's get a head count! (Look! Japanese guests! AB rocks my world now! I just imported the RahX artbook so hopefully I can get an autograph. Very Happy)

Yeah, I go to Northeastern, about 4 blocks away, 3 T stops away... I cannot wait... it's coming, real soon... Anime smile I know I am not much of a regular here anymore, but if anyone wants to meet, just IM me... I also have a PS2 and a TV here, for any anime watching fun... Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
nagash

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 5:32 am Reply with quote
FYI: According to the forums on Animeboston.com, NHK is doing a documentary at AnimeBoston. AnimeBoston also brought in it's own documentary person.
For those that live around Boston, isn't NHK the news program that's on the International Channel at 10am?
nagash

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 5:36 am Reply with quote
Although AnimeBoston suffered from a lot of first-con jitters, they did fairly well considering the amount of people that showed up.
Attendance listed on the Sunday morning sheet is 3,563. I have it from volunteers that were working the desk that they had to cut the line and turn people away. When I was speaking on my last panel of the con, one of them also said they had topped 4,000.
Not bad for a first-time con in a city that nobody apparently thought could support an anime con.
Anybody else care to share thoughts on this one?

PS. If you get the chance to see an AMV entitled Fight, you will not be disappointed.
Judau

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 3:04 pm Reply with quote
haha, yeah, Fight was just amazing... and I was talking to one of my friends who worked there for about an hour and a half late saturday night and he mentioned that there is a 2 year contract with Park Plaza, so they will have to stay there for next year, even though they kinda need something larger... although he did say that they got the "castle" part of the hotel next year for the main event, therefore next year's dealer's room will consist of the room they had this year PLUS the main event hall of this year... then chances are they might go for the Hynes Convention Center for year 3... also, I had a freind try to get in at noon on saturday and got turned away, so it sold out pretty damn quickly...

EDIT: Alright, i now have all of the AMVs from the con, so if anyone is interested... just IM me or something...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
nagash

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 12:23 am Reply with quote
Send me the AMVs!!!

My wife will go nuts over the FFIX AMV (she a big Queen fan).

I heard a slightly different version of the story about space next year but the castle will be used.
I'm on the games committee for Noreascon4 and my conchair and AB's conchair had a short chat. My take is that the Castle will be the dealers room, along with the promo tables.
I'd like to see the art room stay where it is and use the dealers room for autographs.
I had put in a suggestion that they open the 5th floor for autographs as well.
I also have to say that, originally, I thought the Thursday night registration was a dumb idea. Looking back on Saturday, I have to say it was a brilliant idea. I was there bright and early Friday morning (only had to wait in two lines over hte entire convention, and neither was the registration line) so I avoided a lot of lines.
Just my luck, though, after the convention was over on Sunday, I went back to the garage to get my car, and had to wait in the longest line of the weekend -_-.
I didn't recognize anyone from this site at the con. If you saw a vey big guy walking around with the pink Hentai Otaku badge hanging off his right arm, that was me.

If I may, do you know what the big arguement was about in the game room Friday night? I only got vague details about someone showing up with adult games.
nagash

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 5:09 am Reply with quote
In response to the coverage on AnimeBoston, there is a reason for the masquerade problems.
There is a thread in the forum section on their website that deals with cosplay/masquerade. Go in there and look for a thread entitled The True Story of the Masquerade.
It's written by the chairman himself and it explains a lot about what happened.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 5:17 pm Reply with quote
nagash wrote:
In response to the coverage on AnimeBoston, there is a reason for the masquerade problems.
There is a thread in the forum section on their website that deals with cosplay/masquerade. Go in there and look for a thread entitled The True Story of the Masquerade.
It's written by the chairman himself and it explains a lot about what happened.

[edit] Eh, never mind. I retract what I was going to write.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1