• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Takuhai- Free "Mangazine"

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkhunter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:34 pm Reply with quote
slickwataris wrote:
I'm starting to get annoyed now. Anyone get theirs?

It's not like you paid for a subscription and they screw you over by deying it. You just sign up for a free issue and they will ship it when they're ready. You paid nothing and lost no value. FREE, stop whining about it, it's starting to get annoying.
slickwataris

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:47 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
slickwataris wrote:
I'm starting to get annoyed now. Anyone get theirs?

It's not like you paid for a subscription and they screw you over by deying it. You just sign up for a free issue and they will ship it when they're ready. You paid nothing and lost no value. FREE, stop whining about it, it's starting to get annoying.

Free or not I signed up far in advance and watched the sign up date fall back two, three times. If Tokyopop wants to keep their readers they have to stick to their usually strict street dates. If there was a problem with the production the least they could do is inform us.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BoygetsfireD

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:17 pm Reply with quote
I just got mine today. it was pretty good, but I didn't like the way that it was obviously aimed at a male audience.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
slickwataris

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:31 pm Reply with quote
I got mine today too. I'll hold off on judgement until I actually finish it but it is more like a magazine. It's not in TP size either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RabbitRevolution

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:04 am Reply with quote
Got mine two days ago. *I'm happy now* Very Happy

BoygetsfireD wrote:
I just got mine today. it was pretty good, but I didn't like the way that it was obviously aimed at a male audience.

That's funny, because I think that there is a lot stuff for females in this issue. I find it rather interesting that TP chose to promote two female-manga subgenres: josei (with the preview of Tramps Like Us) and shounen-ai (with the preview of Legal Drug). The title of the article "Straight Guy for the Shounen-Ai" really cracked me up Anime smallmouth Plus in the left to right section TP promoted Princess Ai and Bizenghast, both of which seem aimed at females.

The glossy pages were nice, and the editors provided commentary and translation notes for manga previews that don't show up in the actual vol. of the manga. (Ex: Notes about Japanese office habits for the Tramps Like Us preview which aren't included in book version.)

Still, I was disappointed in the emphasis on TP's American "manga." There are previews of 5 American "manga" plus a promotion of Princess Ai (straddles the fence), while only 4 actual manga are previewed. Plus, the right-to-left stuff that Takuhai previews is not all new. Legal Drug, TLU, and Lagoon Engine all already have 2 or more vols out; only Sakura Taisen was just released.

Overall, I think Takuhai's pretty decent for a free magazine, although a little slow with the release.
.Sy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Eh? How come I didn't get my issue? *whines* I've been wondering when it was supposed to come. I know I'm subscribed, so maybe it's just my location? I'm bored, y'see.
Akemi_Idaku

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:05 pm Reply with quote
I just got it today in North Carolina (East Coast USA).
gings

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:07 am Reply with quote
ah, so at last takuhai graces my mailbox, bent, battered, water damaged, and bearing a taped-on address label though it is! the magazine is packed with the expected tokyopop propaganda and promotion, not to mention instances of cheesy humor that would put EC comics to shame, but is entertaining enough and delivers adequate examples of what manga is out there, even if most are from western artists.

yeah, much of the included content is duplication of previously released information and previews, but some is original. for a freebie takuhai does alright. i might not be liquidating my savings account to collect all or even most of the titles showcased, but through takuhai one can weed out some of those works which fell flat and focus scrutiny on remaining potential investments.

wonder when in the fall the next issue will arrive?
BoygetsfireD

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:12 pm Reply with quote
RabitRevolution - it seemed to me that the whole Princess AI thing was aimed at males because they seemed to talk a lot about how hot Princess AI is.
that may just be me, though...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
RabbitRevolution

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:06 am Reply with quote
BoygetsfireD wrote:
RabitRevolution - it seemed to me that the whole Princess AI thing was aimed at males because they seemed to talk a lot about how hot Princess AI is.
that may just be me, though...

It's true that there is one small section of the magazine titled "Princesss Ai:How Hot?", but I don't think that Ai's attractiveness is overemphasized in Takuhai. At least to me, the wispy-style artwork and Ai's bishounen boyfriend appear to be the trademarks of a manga aimed at females. However, I'm not surprised that TP seems to be promoting Princess Ai to both males and females, seeing as how they've got so much invested in this project.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:53 pm Reply with quote
The second Takuhai (Fall) or Manga Magazine should already been shipped out. Got mine today, Beck sharing the cover with Dramacon.
Azumangaman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:24 am Reply with quote
I'd order it, but us Canadians don't get it. They won't ship it to us. However, I can't really see me getting upset over it...
.Sy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Mine arrived about a week ago, which surprised me. I didn't expect it to ever come. I liked Dramacon and Beck, but none of the other titles interested me very much. I was thinking of starting the Dramacon series, but then I wanted to be sure it would finish correctly (as in the author takes her time) and anyway, I needed to read more before deciding. The one concern I have about it (and I don't mean to doubt the author's ability) is that she's working on more than one title at the same time. It leads me to be a bit uncertain about the quality of each. Many authors in Japan put all of their effort into one title, so I dunno about splitting work between CG and Dramacon. (Plus webmanga?)

Another thing I found worth checking out is the Justice n Mercy artbook, which has a lot of dark art. Suits me just fine. But maybe I should read Priest first...
slickwataris

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Azumangaman wrote:
I'd order it, but us Canadians don't get it. They won't ship it to us. However, I can't really see me getting upset over it...

If they could print and sell all their manga in Canada it's unfair that you guys can't get it as well.

Got mine the beginning of the week, still reading it.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:23 pm Reply with quote
.Sy wrote:

Another thing I found worth checking out is the Justice n Mercy artbook, which has a lot of dark art. Suits me just fine. But maybe I should read Priest first...

Well I'm going to recommend Priest, but the first 2 volume is pretty much violence + dramatic action with very little plot development, something along the line of hellsing. From vol. 3 to 6 however, it start getting really deep in the plot and with a lot of character developement. Volume 4 has no action or mindless violence at all, and it's pretty damn good. Love, hate, betrayal and revenge all mix in to tell an epic story. If you like hellsing, Priest is more deeper.

I'm probably gonna pick up Justice and Mercy too. It's still pretty expensive, but I guess it's due to "Justice N Mercy will be printed in Korea with special color and metallic inks not available in the United States."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4