• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Amagami SS & SS+ (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:02 pm Reply with quote
So, we still had episode 25... and with Risa, even.

Best episode. Best girl. Awful voice acting choice. But I expected to see more Risa. Oh, well.

Overall, excellent series, and I'll definitely revisit a few arcs later on (probably all of them except clumsy and cutie's).

Seriously, is it that hard to find a good seiyu for yandere characters? Take a look at the recent OVA of Future Diary.
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:58 pm Reply with quote
This was probably the best episode for one reason. Risa: "JUST AS PLANNED!!!". No really, she orchestrated everything and got away with it! Risa's plan is cruel yet extremely effective - destroy something then help to rebuild it and be a hero - except she weren't supposed to reveal her plan. Yet she did and GOT AWAY WITH IT!!! Tachibana you fool, just coz she's cute doesn't make her best choice. I can understand him though...

Overall not a bad series. I give it Good rating. I want to agree with Gentry that Amagami did have potential for drama but never got into it and the poorly thought out set-ups do bring this series down.

Can't wait for Miya's episode. Hope they realize her golden potential for comedy.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:24 am Reply with quote
Just finished the series (including episode 25), and this is the first show in quite a while that really makes me want to say a lot about it. The show really varied on an arc-to-arc basis for me, although my overall opinion is definitely on the positive side. I thought watching 6 arcs with 6 different girls of the same show would get tedious and boring, but they did sufficiently different things with each girl and each arc to make it fresh and interesting up until the very end (it also helped I watched one entire arc every day six days in a row). My overall main complaint with all the arcs was that it was too short, and they often rushed into the relationship without sufficient development. That said, it was still a very charming and cute show, and stands as one of my favorites of 2010.

Haruka Morishima arc (ep 1-4): spoiler[As I really liked Haruka Morishima the character, I thought they could have done more with this arc. As the show progressed, I wished they had saved Haruka for later, for when we actually got to know her a little bit from some of the other girls' arcs. In the end, I thought this arc was the least rational out of the six. Haruka clearly rejected Junichi, and her reasoning, "I like older, reliable guys" really made sense to me. In another girl's arc later, she seemed to hint that while she was into those type of guys, a younger and not-so-reliable guy could pique her interest too. However, we don't seem to get any sort of warning or hint of that from this arc, and although Haruka started hanging out with Junichi quite a lot, it seemed pretty apparent to me he was friendzoned already, and that she really likes him as a friend but not a lover, especially after she stated that Junichi reminded her of a puppy she really loved but lost. That seemed like conclusive evidence that Junichi was a little brother/good friend type to her. Her dragging him alone to the Christmas Eve party made me raise an eyebrow, but her sudden outburst in the hotel room really seemed out of character to me. For her to suddenly be in love with Junichi and having wanted him to confess a second time came really out of the blue, and there was no warning or hint of it that I noticed. Overall, I would have preferred if they just didn't get together in the end, like what happens in a later arc. It would have made this arc much better in my opinion.]

Kaoru Tanamachi arc (ep 5-8): spoiler[A solid arc, and a very "safe" one in my opinion. It wasn't amazing, nor was it bad. It actually felt pretty natural and unrushed, and pretty well written. That said, nothing particularly excited me about it as I saw everything coming in advance, and it was done very standard without venturing into more creative territory. It was still pretty good though.]

Sae Nakata arc (ep 9-12): spoiler[From the other arcs I could already tell that she was my least favorite girl, since I never liked the really meek character types with the extremely high-pitched voices. That said, this was actually the most well done arc in my opinion. I can see people having problems with the narrator being there, but I thought the narrator was pretty funny sometimes and actually added to the story. The whole "instructor" development was really cute and felt pretty natural to me. And the girl surprised me by really having a backbone in the end, and I definitely appreciated her after this arc. The arc itself did go a little fast, but it felt natural enough that I didn't have too many qualms about it.]

Ai Nanasaki arc (ep 13-16): spoiler[Probably my favorite girl out of the bunch, or at least so I thought after finishing the arc. Her outburst of "I'm calling the police on you" in the beginning was kind of weird and forced, but she was pretty consistent after that, and had a cute tsundere-but-not-really personality. I think it helped that she seemed like a total bitch in the previous arcs, but turned out to be really cool in her own arc. This arc was quite rushed in my opinion, and things progressed too fast for my liking. Since the girl clearly didn't like Junichi too much in the beginning, I thought the transition between barely acquaintances to friends went a bit too quickly. Also, the amusement park scene with the turning into ramen was kind of awkward and strange, and didn't really make that much sense to me. Was he hallucinating? It seriously felt like he had some serious problems during those two minutes. The oden-selling scene was really nice, and I thought it was actually a pretty strong statement in showing the development of their relationship. The hot spring almost-hentai scene in the very end was also kind of weirdly placed. Overall, I really liked this girl for her guts and personality, and though I had some issues with the arc, I definitely enjoyed it a lot.]

Rihoko Sakurai arc (ep 17-20): spoiler[I wasn't fond of Rihoko in the first place, and the whole childhood friend thing has been done to death, so I wasn't really looking forward to this arc too much. And the arc pretty much met my expectations. Rihoko didn't even end up with Junichi (which is good, because absolutely nothing in the entire arc suggested him being interested in her), which made the whole arc in turn a little bland. It wasn't bad, just...uninteresting. Probably my least favorite arc out of the bunch.]

Tsukasa Ayatsuji arc (ep 21-24): spoiler[I wasn't actually expecting much, and Ayatsuji seemed kind of boring, but this arc gave me the biggest shock out of any arc in the entire series. Since it seems like the characters were pretty consistent throughout all the arcs, and nobody's personalities themselves seemed to actually change, just their situation (much like other-world Haruhi in The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya), I could probably assume that Ayatsuji was hiding her true personality the whole time in all the other arcs. This made Ayatsuji an extremely interesting character, and made the arc the most interesting one out of the six for me. In terms of pure drama value, and ability to keep me watching, this arc came out clearly on top with its twists and turns, and Ayatsuji's interestingness. That said, I still had many problems with this arc. First, I thought this was the most rushed arc out of any, and the show kinda ended before the relationship even got going. Also, while not out of place this time, I would have liked Ayatsuji to take a little longer to be interested in Junichi, as well as stronger character background as to what exactly makes him so interesting to her. They kinda just forced him in as her love interest, while giving the weak justification that "he's weird, he doesn't run away from me after seeing who I truly am." That was great and all, but I thought Junichi showed the least backbone in this arc out of any arc besides the first one, and I didn't particularly find him likable or worthy of like in this arc. Also, they never tied up loose ends, such as what she scribbled or why it would get her in trouble, or why she didn't like her sister much. In that sense, it really was rushed a lot. What I did like was the scene when she suddenly snapped out of pretending to have permanently gotten rid of her "old" personality. I thought it was a really powerful statement and really powerful scene, and I could actually feel her emotions as a viewer. Overall, I thought this arc needed more episodes for sure, and more wrapping up of loose ends. Tsukasa, being the yandere surprise she turned out to be, probably stands as my favorite girl out of the 6. Didn't expect it, but that was the charm of the show in a way.]

The 25th episode with the Risa girl was spoiler[alright in my opinion. The scene where they went through every single girl and Risa showing them the picture dragged on a little too long in my opinion, but it was kind of interesting to see their various reactions. Given that Risa was the reason for Junichi's being stood up in the beginning, it makes me wonder if the same was true in the other arcs, and whether Risa was actually in the background with the same role. Also, since Junichi went the super-harem route in this mini-arc, I started wondering if this arc maybe tied everything else together in some supernatural way. Though, given the series' origin, it was probably just another route in the visual novel that was independent of the others.]

For the most part, I liked Junichi as a protagonist. Sometimes, he was a little too perverted for my liking, and other times, he stuttered too much and seemed like a pansy, but the show was pretty good at making him a pretty consistent character throughout all arcs, only "changing" personalities due to the company he was with. I didn't like Miya at first, but she is pretty funny actually, and surprisingly not annoying. Overall, restarting the timeline for each arc was a pretty good idea in my opinion. Not particularly creative, but this is actually this first time I've seen an anime adaptation of a visual novel go out and do something like that, and it worked quite well in my opinion. It was interesting because each arc was handled quite differently and not in a formulaic way, and it was really interesting to see girls who had previously fallen in love with the protagonists in other arcs have no interest in him in others. I could tell that the original visual novel had very strong writing, and while the adaptation into an anime had some minor problems, it was overall still a very good show. My enjoyment rating would be quite a bit higher than my objective rating for the show as a whole, but enjoyment is the most important thing in the end. This show gets an Excellent from me.

[EDIT] Since others did it earlier, I figured I'd rank the arcs. First in terms of pure quality, and then favorite to least favorite.

Quality: Sae > Kaoru > Rihoko > Ai > Tsukasa > Haruka
Enjoyment: Tsukasa > Ai > Sae > Kaoru > Haruka > Rihoko
jxsilicon9

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:47 pm Reply with quote
When does the 26th episode come out? What is the bluray/dvd release date?
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Eppie 26, Miya's arc.

Enjoyable arc, we see that spoiler[Miya is a little sister who cares for her brother's well being. She worries about his future - having no girlfriends, reading dirty magazines, and other stuff. Miya decides to stalk him to see if her thoughts about Junichi. We see brief interactions between the previous characters, but the funny part is when Miya meets up with Risa.

They both stalk Junichi and have a discussion of him. Then more disucssion in which Miya thinks Junichi might be homosexual.

At the end, some kinky stuff which got me laughing.]

Ah, I do feel like rewatching this show, or rather my favorite arcs, right now.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 8:50 pm Reply with quote
I had the same compulsion to do a rewatch, which is a little strange, as there is plenty wrong with the series, but the good parts were quite enjoyable.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:38 am Reply with quote
Too bad it was not a Yosuga no Sora ending, those who have seen it know what I am talking about. But at least we got plenty of Miya, who has always been a treat with her speech characteristics, cheeky behaviour and I always liked her slight slight amount of bed hair (similar trait to Kaoru).

Best bit was seeing Miya spoiler[think that her brother liked guys, he was saying he loved his friend, reminds me of the jokes of a Sunohara route.] The Nee-nee part surprisingly gave me a little laugh. And hey I don't remember a single mention of a meatbun, though we never really found out why Miya hates Haruka so much.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:13 am Reply with quote
The second season of Amagami SS, known as Amgami SS+ plus, has just started airing.
Volibear

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:36 am Reply with quote
MrTerrorist wrote:
The second season of Amagami SS, known as Amgami SS+ plus, has just started airing.

new thread or continuation of this one?
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:29 am Reply with quote
We will continue with this one. I will adjust the name of the thread and put an index on the first post.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:41 pm Reply with quote
(On first episode of SS+)
Weak Junichi for letting spoiler[that girl kiss him, there was absolutly nothing stopping him from pushing her back as soon as she put the moves on him.] Well they could always use it and truthely spoiler[slander her as a boyfriend stealer or something, alas anime logic does not work that way.]

Liked the new OP "Check my soul", catchy. It seems that it is a Tsukasa ark first, which if memory serves me she was the last ark in the first season. My guess is that the arks will either be in reverse order of the first season, or the order that they appear in the ED song (difference betweem two would be Kaoru moved from 5th to 3rd moving others down).
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:53 pm Reply with quote
After watching the Tsukasa arc of Amgami SS+, i must say...this was very romantic and little perverted.

The arcs begins spoiler[after the events of the Founder's Festival where both Junichi and Tsukasa have become a couple. Tsukasa decides to run for Student Council President with Junichi as her VP. The problem? Another candidate named Noriko is running as well and she is just as manipulative as Tsukasa and to spite her, Noriko announces that Junichi is her VP as well. Both girls try win by whatever means with Tsukasa causes a scandal on one of the candidates and Noriko trying to make Tsukasa think Junchi is cheating with her. However, Tsukasa was aware about the trick and scolds Junichi for falling for it. With Junchi supporting her, Tsukasa wins the election and shares an romantic romantic moment with Junichi in her bathroom.]

I always love the Amagami anime of having separate story arcs for each of the girls. With the Tsukasa arc over, next is Rihoko's turn.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm cautiously looking forward to the Rihoko arc, as hers was the only story that actually needs this treatment.

The Tsukasa arc was sweet and nice but it was still rather pointless, They're pretty much at the same place as the previous conclusion, if only with a little more skinship.

One thing that was maybe an improvement was the added emphasis on what the other girls were doing. It was always a slight downer to me the way the other girls in the other arcs often seemed to flounder without Junichi to "complete" them. This Tsukasa arc did a better job than previously of suggesting they'd get along fine without him if they have to.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Xanas

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:28 pm Reply with quote
I didn't know what to expect coming into this series since the last one was pretty complete story wise but after seeing this I like how they inserted the new events, and while not many of the stories really needed this I consider it a nice bonus for those of us who liked this series.

I also like how they are doing it in reverse order, I'm not sure why but that just seems like the right way to do it.
Volibear

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
I'm cautiously looking forward to the Rihoko arc, as hers was the only story that actually needs this treatment.
yh, out of all the arcs this was the one i most wanted to work out and it will be nice to see it work out, cause there's no way it won't given the uproar it caused when it aired, which does take some of the enjoyment out of it

Spastic Minnow wrote:
The Tsukasa arc was sweet and nice but it was still rather pointless, They're pretty much at the same place as the previous conclusion, if only with a little more skinship.

it almost seemed like an OVA, which i think will be the feel for all the arcs except the Rihoko arc, which will just be playing catch-up on the other 5 arcs
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7