• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Botan24

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:07 pm Reply with quote
After the hilariousness that was Yamada's First Time, my husband and I have moved into gundam. Mobile Suit Gundam 08th MS Team to be exact. This is actually my first foray into the "gundam universe". And the show is...okay. I'm liking all the characters which is always a good sign for me. The first couple of episodes were rather slow, but after episode seven things take a leap forward. I'm not sure I like the change of pace, but it definitely caught my attention. I'm looking forward to finding out what happens next, and I do hope there is some sort of resolution by the end. As for if I'll ever watch more gundam...probably not. The show hasn't peaked my interest in this universe enough. And since Bandai has stopped their DVD releases, I'm not sure I'd have enough time/money to collect anymore gundam series.

Can't wait for Fairy Tail part 3 to show up next week. I can blaze through those episodes in like, two days. Its a fun show that is relaxing after a hard day's work.
_Emi_

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:36 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
_Emi_ wrote:
My least favorite has been Kan Yu. spoiler[Took long enough for the jackass to die.]

Oh man, I have never been so happy to see spoiler[a character bite the dust as I was with him], never in my life, man! And I was mad when spoiler[he wasn't actually dead after Chirico shoved him into the river, and while at first I was mad at the Quentman for saving him, he did endear me to him when he threw him off the edge at the end]

I was mad too. Although I thought it was obvious that Kan Yu spoiler[was going to come back, seeing as he was still alive after Chirico pushed him in.] Didn't make me any less mad.

At least the other side is only previews so if it becomes unplayable, you haven't lost anything.
naninanino

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:41 am Reply with quote
_Emi_ wrote:
He's no whiny kid who just happens to be an ace pilot. He got his skills through years of fighting.

And more importantly. Divine luck.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:47 pm Reply with quote
I started watching Phantom- Requiem of Phantom.

I can't remember who recommended me this series. I think I am not in the best mood for watching it, besides teenage serial killers have never been my thing really, I don;t know what it is, but they are a type of characters that I don't connect with and find it hard to sympathise with for whatever reason; I was not fond of neither Noir nor Gunslinger Girls at the time. But I really want to give it a go, as it looks like a genuinely good series so far.
Tris8

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Well, I finally have started Bleach. I don't know why, it was kind of an impulse. I've both wanted and not wanted to start this, so I can see what the hype's about but It's so dang long! So I searched for it in wikipedia to get more info about the arcs and stuff and was confused for a minute when it brought up Clorox.
I'm 3 episodes in and so far it's good. I can see why it got so popular. Fun, some good action, and an interesting premise, tho it does remind me of Yu Yu Hakusho a bit =) And before I forget I've got to start Time of Eve for the book club.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Re-watched the first (double-length) episode of Fate/Zero and watched the next three eppies after that. So digging it. I had watched the first episode when it first came out last fall. I was kinda of meh on it. I assumed I would watch more but I just never seemed to get around to watching the second episode. Then I got in this mood with many fall series where if I knew (or strongly suspected) that they'd be licensed and released in N.A., I stopped watching them because otherwise I am basically only ever buying (in the case of series made after 2009) things I've already seen in their entirety.

Anyhoo, then Aniplex comes out with their $80 kajillion version of Fate/Zero and suddenly my interest in watching the series uber-cheaply on CR re-ignites. I expect Aniplex will also offer a cheaper version but God knows when. If we go by Garden of Sinners, the other Type Moon property they licensed and came out with a very expensive version, it won't be any time soon.

But I digress. I really wish the writers of Bodacious Space Pirates took a cue from Fate/Zero. I can't tell you how pleasurable it is to watch a show with a strong story and characters who actually have active, identifiable agendas. Marvelous.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Saw the Gatchaman OVA last night, which was fine, I suppose. I've never seen the original series, so it didn't have any nostalgia value or anything for me, but I guess it's good to have some direct knowledge of the franchise.

Particularly considering I watched some more of Nurse Witch Komugi today, and the second episode has a Gatchaman parody joke, in which Komugi is all 5 members of the Gatchaman team, and the scientist guy who advises them. NWK is the kind of show that's only really entertaining if you've seen enough other things to get what it's parodying (especially The SoulTaker).
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:30 am Reply with quote
And as luck would have it, I finished Nurse Witch Komugi last night. I started off enjoying it, but it ran out of steam for me in eppies 3 thru 5. Part of the reason I feel this way is that I'm also watching Excel Saga (I've completed up to the end of episode 9) and it does much the same thing NWK does, except way, way, way better.

And, oh my God, is Fate/Zero ever a quantum leap in quality from Fate/Stay Night in virtually every way. The characters and agendas and machinations are just so much more interesting. And to not have to put up with Emiya's relentless do-gooder-ism is a real treat. Don't get me wrong, I basically liked F/SN even with its flaws, but F/Z conclusively proves that ufotable is Type Moon's best hand-maiden when it comes to bringing their stuff to life (something that Garden of Sinners established first, of course).
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:03 pm Reply with quote
I've been watching Himitsu with a friend a few eps at a time. Now, normally, I wait until I've finished a series to talk about it except that so few people have seen this show it's practically a crime. It's exactly the sort of thought provoking episodic series that anime needs more of, and the main characters are adults, so it fulfills that niche too. Seriously, if you want to think about a series long after you've seen the episode and want some quiet character moments with your crime dramas, you absolutely need to see this series. The first few eps are rather above average (instead of amazing), but it's much more than a "who dun it" thing that a lesser series could so easily be. Ep 4 was where this series because something special and eps 5-7 continued that for me.
So go watch it, people!
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Saw the Gatchaman OVA last night, which was fine, I suppose. I've never seen the original series, so it didn't have any nostalgia value or anything for me, but I guess it's good to have some direct knowledge of the franchise.

Even without the nostalgia factor, were you able to enjoy it much or not? I remember watching this when I was a little girl with my sister, we LOVED it when it aired on tv here way back in the 70's, (77? 78? not sure) and I debated buying it when it was all available cheap at TRSI, but I didn't figure it's have the same impact on me today and it would sit around and I would probably never watch it. I still sometimes wonder if I should have got it anyway... G-FORCE!
C'est la vie.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:03 am Reply with quote
One Piece episodes 46-91

I cannot believe I've watched 91 episodes of this in 6 days; that's 15-16 per day. Even for me, someone who has watched over 300 shows in under four years, that is unbelievable. I didn't even realize how fast I've been watching it since I just put a new disc in once the other one is done - I don't even think about it until I see it's, like, 10pm.

But yea, obviously I love this show. I am very annoyed, though, with not only the long recap at the beginning of each episode, but the constant recapping during the episode. I mean, I wouldn't mind if it was talking about things aways back, but it'll spend 2-3 minutes showing scenes from the previous episode - and it's just reused footage, and that's doubly annoying. Other than fairly large annoyance, I love everything else.

The characters are likable, the villains are unlikable, and I just enjoy the silliness of it. Every time a character gets mad and their teeth get sharp and their mouths open up really wide, I get big grin of my face because it's so funny. I remember when I first started watching Bleach I thought it was genuinely funny, but it the further it went on the more and more serious it got, and it got to a point where the silliness felt way out of place, but I can see One Piece always being silly because Luffy and crew are such goofballs.

One weird thing that I really, really like are the names. Names like Roronoa, Buggy, Vivi, Alvida, Walpol, and my favorite, Laboon, are such awesome names. I'd love to know what kind of influences Oda had when he made these names, because they're so out there.

This show is good stuff. I'm glad I decided to give it another whirl after initially giving up on it. Now to wait for the fifth set to come out so I can finish the Alabasta arc. Which doesn't come out until mid-March. *sigh*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
supercreep

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm 11 episodes into Eureka Seven. I'm really enjoying it, thanks in part to my making peace with surfing robots before I started. The only big problem I have with it so far is Renton. He's the kind of character I really dislike; he talks way too much, about everything. There is no subtlety to him, and therefore he ruins many chance for the show itself to be smart and subtle.

Fortunately my annoyance with him is not enough to bring down the show.
Tris8

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:23 pm Reply with quote
supercreep wrote:
I'm 11 episodes into Eureka Seven. I'm really enjoying it, thanks in part to my making peace with surfing robots before I started.
Anime hyper I had to do the same thing. I love fantasy but that doesn't mean those series get a free ticket for completely ignoring physics, gravity, etc. Well, as long as there is a half-reasonable explanation that usually mollifies me. And when I got over that I realized how dang cool a surfing robot is Very Happy
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Mashiroiro Symphony: Finished it off on Theanimenetwork yesterday. It looked to be a pretty standard Bishojo game adaptation. Stop me if you have heard this setup before... Exclusive all girls academy has a test integration with another school that is mostly boys. With only one route chosen, these things live or die by your agreement or with that girls route. The common path probably did take the show up to episode 9 if I were to guess. I did not like the protagonist's choice here.

Gakuen Alice: I enjoyed it a bit more than the recent review, but then again I am a sucker for Kana Ueda's voice. I kept having Maria Watches Over Us flashbacks. I think it was decent one time through, but I probably can not see ever watching it again.

Ghost Slayers Ayashi: Pretty enjoyable through 2 discs, Netflix is missing 3 and 4. I think its good enough to move to the buy pile.

Night Head Genesis: The first two volumes via Netflix, and the dirt cheap price for the bundle moved this to the buy list. Pretty intriguing story so far.

Otogi Zoshi: Not sure what I think of this so far, the series has 2 halves and I am 3 eps into the 2nd. Really cant say where it is going.
This might be one of the nicest physical releases by Media Blasters though, except for the 3 security stickers on each DVD volume. Another dirt cheap bundle.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Gewürtztraminer wrote:
Mashiroiro Symphony: episode 9 if I were to guess. I did not like the protagonist's choice here.

Same here. I nearly dropped it because of that. I was expecting/hoping that they were going with spoiler[Airi as the main girl as the interplay between her and the protagonist was actually interesting and wasn't coming across as pandering.] And it really looked like it was heading that way for a good half of the run. It was almost like they originally planned to do it this way but then decided to completely change direction mid-production. Plus, spoiler[Miu was really the dullest and least interesting character;] and considering that none of them were very interesting or compelling, that says a lot. Glad it was only 12 episodes, or I really would have dropped it Razz .
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 647 of 1062