• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Viewers Like You: I Think Therefore I Rant

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
merr

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Wakazhi wrote:
Zac wrote:

Progress marches onward, and if things keep going the way they're going, soon these people will have all the same rights as you do, and their relationships will be considered equal in the eyes of the law. I am eternally thankful that viewpoints like yours are increasingly the minority, and the rest of us can move on and ignore the obstructionism that comes from people who just can't get over themselves and their prejudices.

You're absolutely right. We should let people have their rights. I believe that everyone with any kind of sexual orientation should have their freedom. If my sister wants to get it on with me, who's business is it? Who are we to get between the emotional intimacy between a teacher and their middle school student? If my neighbor wants to have puppy love with his dog Sam, he should have every right to do what he wants on his own property.

If you disagree with any of this, than you're just being a hypocrite like anyone else; it's just that some people happen to have higher standards than you.

Quit it with the pathetic slippery slope argument. It doesn't work. How does legalizing same-sex marriage bring us any closer to legalizing incest, pedophilia, bestiality, etc.? It doesn't. Incest has just as much relation to homosexuality as it does to heterosexuality. The only common factor is sex. Thus you're argument is the equivalent of saying we shouldn't have HETEROSEXUAL marriage because it will lead to the legalization of incest and pedophilia.
Wakazhi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:22 pm Reply with quote
SoandSo wrote:

Anyone who legitimately believes that fights for civil rights will lead to outcries for bestial or incestuous marriages, as if that were an actual concern, let alone a logical extreme, is clearly of little genetic benefit or possessing of mental capacity themselves.

In the past, most people never thought of outcries for homosexual civil rights becoming a concern. But look at it now. And that mindset lasted for thousands of years, and still does in most countries. So who are you to think that your standards are the limit, and that other people won't eventually cry out for incestuous civil rights? Unlike bestiality and pedophilia, incest "can" be between two grown adults, but is that accepted? Should it be accepted? If you don't think incest should be accepted, then that shows your standards. Unless you have no standards towards any kind of sexual orientation, you're nothing but a hypocrite for criticizing someone else's standards.
merr

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Wakazhi wrote:
SoandSo wrote:

Anyone who legitimately believes that fights for civil rights will lead to outcries for bestial or incestuous marriages, as if that were an actual concern, let alone a logical extreme, is clearly of little genetic benefit or possessing of mental capacity themselves.

In the past, most people never thought of outcries for homosexual civil rights becoming a concern. But look at it now. And that mindset lasted for thousands of years, and still does in most countries. So who are you to think that your standards are the limit, and that other people won't eventually cry out for incestuous civil rights? Unlike bestiality and pedophilia, incest "can" be between two grown adults, but is that accepted? Should it be accepted? If you don't think incest should be accepted, then that shows your standards. Unless you have no standards towards any kind of sexual orientation, you're nothing but a hypocrite for criticizing someone else's standards.

Is this really your argument? "Anyone who supports gay marriage but not incest is a hypocrite and a big stupid doo-doo head who I don't have to listen to! And if they do support incest, they don't have "standards", meaning anything they say should be ignored. Therefore, we shouldn't have gay marriage!" Such flawless logic! It must be nice to live in a world where anyone you disagree with can be silenced through name calling.

If reasoning like yours worked, we wouldn't have women's suffrage, interracial marriage, the 14th Amendment, or habeas corpus, because at some unspecified at time in the past, all those things were deemed unimaginable.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Wakazhi wrote:
SoandSo wrote:

It's sad to me that you so clearly think this is some trump card argument, the ultimate "homosexuality is an abomination of nature!!" smackdown to anyone who would dare argue in favor of civil rights for gay people.

In fact it's an extremely tired old talking point from the same conservative christian factions that fund the bills that prevent same-sex couples from getting married or adopting children, and it's sort of laughably transparent. "Oh, so you're okay with two consenting adult men having sex, but what about a dude and a DOG?! or his BROTHER? Isn't that gross?!?! Now are you afraid of gay people because that other stuff is gross?!?!?" It's this really cheap attempt at dehumanizing and further "othering" homosexuals and it doesn't work on anyone with a functioning ability to think critically. This particular talking point preaches only to the choir that already believes that homosexuality is totally the same as those other damaging and often abusive fetishes and/or mental disorders, rather than something that occurs in nature with an overwhelming amount of proof that it's just another normal shade in the spectrum of human conditions, one that produces healthy, happy relationships, great parents, long-lasting families and productive members of our communities.
Wakazhi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:49 pm Reply with quote
merr wrote:
Wakazhi wrote:
Zac wrote:

Progress marches onward, and if things keep going the way they're going, soon these people will have all the same rights as you do, and their relationships will be considered equal in the eyes of the law. I am eternally thankful that viewpoints like yours are increasingly the minority, and the rest of us can move on and ignore the obstructionism that comes from people who just can't get over themselves and their prejudices.

You're absolutely right. We should let people have their rights. I believe that everyone with any kind of sexual orientation should have their freedom. If my sister wants to get it on with me, who's business is it? Who are we to get between the emotional intimacy between a teacher and their middle school student? If my neighbor wants to have puppy love with his dog Sam, he should have every right to do what he wants on his own property.

If you disagree with any of this, than you're just being a hypocrite like anyone else; it's just that some people happen to have higher standards than you.

Quit it with the pathetic slippery slope argument. It doesn't work. How does legalizing same-sex marriage bring us any closer to legalizing incest, pedophilia, bestiality, etc.? It doesn't. Incest has just as much relation to homosexuality as it does to heterosexuality. The only common factor is sex. Thus you're argument is the equivalent of saying we shouldn't have HETEROSEXUAL marriage because it will lead to the legalization of incest and pedophilia.

Why do you think males and females have specific body parts when it comes sex? It's the easiest puzzle to solve. A man's anus is genetically designed for "exiting" substances, not entering inside it. Forget about morals all you want, but this is logic. You say that heterosexuality is no different from homosexuality? Can you prove that by giving facts instead of just criticizing my comments?
Here's the difference:
heterosexual: male + female = child (genetically possible)
homosexual: female + female (or) male + male = no child, unless adopted of course.

If you want to say it's a good thing, than that's your opinion and you're obliged to it. But saying that at the end of 9 months, they're the same thing, that's a straight lie.

And here's a fact sheet from the CDC of how favorable homosexuality is to the human body:
http://www.cdc.gov/nchhstp/newsroom/docs/fastfacts-msm-final508comp.pdf
dizzon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:50 pm Reply with quote
repeat_redundant wrote:
jrnemanich wrote:
Hey, what about that last segment (that no one has talked about)? That guy was cool.

Yeah, he was cool. But what we really want to know is, what are your entrenched and politically charged views on homosexuality and religion?

Of course, because there's no other outlet for moral/religious/political bickering that neither side will listen to anywhere else on the internet... I know that's why I come to Anime News Network.
merr

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Wakazhi wrote:
merr wrote:
Wakazhi wrote:
Zac wrote:

Why do you think males and females have specific body parts when it comes sex? It's the easiest puzzle to solve. A man's anus is genetically designed for "exiting" substances, not entering inside it. Forget about morals all you want, but this is logic. You say that heterosexuality is no different from homosexuality? Can you prove that by giving facts instead of just criticizing my comments?
Here's the difference:
homosexual: female + female (or) male + male = no child, unless adopted of course.

If you want to say it's a good thing, than that's your opinion and you're obliged to it. But saying that at the end of 9 months, they're the same thing, that's a straight lie.

And here's a fact sheet from the CDC of how favorable homosexuality is to the human body:

Thank you for missing the point. I was asking you to explain how incest is anymore conceptually related to homosexuality than it is to heterosexuality. I didn't ask for an anatomy lesson.

But let's have some fun with your type of logic.
1.Did you know that people who are sterile can't have children? --> Let's ban them from getting married!
2. Did you know that having sex with someone who has herpes is significantly more dangerous than having sex with someone who doesn't? --> Let's ban people with herpes from having sex!
3. Did you know that riding in a car is a lot more dangerous than walking? --> Let's ban automobiles!

And now for some real fun!
1. Did you know that abortion is always safer than childbirth? --> Abortions for everyone who wants one!
2. Did you know that religious societies are significantly more likely to go to war? --> Let's ban religion!

See how ridiculous you sound?

Last edited by merr on Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:06 pm; edited 4 times in total
SoandSo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Wakazhi wrote:
SoandSo wrote:

*Yawns*

Uh huh, and what does that make you? Why don't you support incestual or bestial marriage? Nevermind that homosexuality and incest aren't even vaguely related, nevermind that you're criticizing my standards to begin with, nevermind that by your logic, marriage and civil rights just shouldn't exist in general and we should all go back to caves cause it's all a slippery slope, nevermind your argument is nonsensical and horrendously offensive, you just firmly need to stop talking.

Leaving aside that a form of attraction is nowhere on the same wavelength as being an intimate part of who a person is, should the day come, in the near or far future, where these forms of marriage are clamored for, those people should have the right to at least be heard and not demonized. Making the pathetic argument that gay marriage should be blocked because this other thing could follow whenever is just a cowardly excuse to halt civil progress for no better reason then your own prejudice that you try to dress up as something more meaningful or long-term.
SoandSo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:09 pm Reply with quote
merr wrote:
Wakazhi wrote:
merr wrote:
Wakazhi wrote:
Zac wrote:

Here's the difference:

Thank you for missing the point. I was asking you to explain how incest is anymore conceptually related to homosexuality than it is to heterosexuality. I didn't ask for an anatomy lesson.

But let's have some fun with your type of logic.
1.Did you know that people who are sterile can't have children? --> Let's ban them from getting married!
2. Did you know that having sex with someone who has herpes is significantly more dangerous than having sex with someone who doesn't? --> Let's ban people with herpes from having sex!
3. Did you know that riding in a car is a lot more dangerous than walking? --> Let's ban automobiles!

And now for some real fun!
1. Did you know that abortion is always safer than childbirth? --> Abortions for everyone who wants one!
2. Did you know that religious societies are significantly more likely to go to war? --> Let's ban religion!

See how ridiculous you sound?

And don't forget that dicks weren't made to go in mouths either, among other hetero-possible places, nor result in farting out a baby, but America and Christians seem to love the hell out of that. Good thing it's "comparitively normal."

I'm bored. No more of this drivel for me. I'm out, gotta catch up in Skyrim.
merr

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:13 pm Reply with quote
SoandSo wrote:

And don't forget that dicks weren't made to go in mouths either, among other hetero-possible places, nor result in farting out a baby, but America and Christians seem to love the hell out of that. Good thing it's "comparitively normal."

I almost put that in, but based on Wakazhi's post history, I assume he's opposed to all sex except for missionary (and only if neither party really enjoys it).
Wakazhi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Wakazhi wrote:
SoandSo wrote:

It's sad to me that you so clearly think this is some trump card argument, the ultimate "homosexuality is an abomination of nature!!" smackdown to anyone who would dare argue in favor of civil rights for gay people.

In fact it's an extremely tired old talking point from the same conservative christian factions that fund the bills that prevent same-sex couples from getting married or adopting children, and it's sort of laughably transparent. "Oh, so you're okay with two consenting adult men having sex, but what about a dude and a DOG?! or his BROTHER? Isn't that gross?!?! Now are you afraid of gay people because that other stuff is gross?!?!?" It's this really cheap attempt at dehumanizing and further "othering" homosexuals and it doesn't work on anyone with a functioning ability to think critically. This particular talking point preaches only to the choir that already believes that homosexuality is totally the same as those other damaging and often abusive fetishes and/or mental disorders, rather than something that occurs in nature with an overwhelming amount of proof that it's just another normal shade in the spectrum of human conditions, one that produces healthy, happy relationships, great parents, long-lasting families and productive members of our communities.

I'm not here to argue against people's rights. This is America, people are eventually going to get what they want. I'm just saying that genetically, it's not the same as heterosexuality. I'm not trying to discuss "good or bad", I'm just stating logic. Like I said before, everyone has a level of standards, therefore everyone has some level of hypocrisy, obviously including myself. I don't even want to get married. If everyone was like me and followed that lifestyle of never getting married, would that be a good thing? Heck no. But at least I'm not denying that it'd be wrong by saying "oh! I deserve my rights!". "Good or bad" deals with morality; "right or wrong" deals with reasoning (ex: 2+2=10 is not "bad", it's "wrong"). Is homosexuality genetically "right"? No. Is it good or bad? That's up to you I guess. That's all I'm saying. More power to you, as long as it doesn't get in my house, lol.
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:17 pm Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
On the debate about categorical imperative (CI) as applied to homosexuality a couple of pages ago.

The argument I read is that CI would deny homosexual sex because there is no chance of reproduction. First of all, this would also apply to celibacy and infertility and use of contraception. However, is the reason for homosexual sex to reproduce or to make you and the other person happy? The other thing is that being a homosexual is not a moral choice. A heterosexual can't choose to be homosexual and vice versa. ...

The equivalent "choice" to a homosexual "choosing" to have homosexual sex is for a heterosexual to "choose" to engage in heterosexual sex. The "choice" there is, "follow your natural sexual orientation".

So long as the natural incidence of homosexuality is well below 50%, the "follow your natural sexual orientation" "choice" poses no problems under the Categorical Imperative.

Of course, pretending that the orientation is a choice in providing the emotional support for depriving gays and lesbians of civil rights, because that is the emotional foundation of the "they are going to recruit your children to be gays and lesbians" fear.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Wakazhi wrote:
......I'm going to bombard you with a bunch of Judeo/Christian Eugenics crap disguised as intellectual pseudo-science.

Some of us know exactly where you are coming from. You are not fooling me, at least.

http://www.religion-online.org/showarticle.asp?title=3103
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:32 pm Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:
agila61 wrote:
Except you cannot get away from a racist view being racist by saying "oh, I'm not saying that black people are lazy by nature, I think they are lazy by choice". Its racist either way. Someone's reasons for being bigoted against some group of people ~ including pretending that the way people are born is somehow something they did by choice, presumably because its just a joy being homosexual in the United States with the theocrats hating on you ~ does not change the fact that its bigotry.

Well, that seems to reveal something about the way you view Black people and their(our) work ethic. African-Americans are stereotyped as being lazy. Why? Is it because of the high unemployment rates?

The stereotype is much older than unemployment rates ~ it goes back to the days of slavery, and was perpetuated under Jim Crow. And why? Any stereotype that justified whites dictating to blacks on the basis of blacks being unable to take care of themselves rationalized both slavery and also Jim Crow. And of course, especially under Jim Crow, in a system where overly ambitious blacks were regularly lynched, it was quite prudent for blacks to avoid revealing their ambitions in front of whites.

And its not just African-Americans ~ if you look into the attitudes of European colonial powers in Africa, the same stereotype applied, but it was common for large numbers of colonized peoples. Its pure BS, of course ~ my wife, for example, is one of the hardest working people I know.

Quote:
Homosexuality is an existing behavior and lifestyle ...

People whose natural sexual orientation is homosexual will, of course have a strong tendency to engage in homosexual sex. The sex drive is a powerful one, after all. I assume that is what you are referring to as "behavior".

A distinctive "lifestyle", ie, subculture, is something that we commonly see in repressed minority groups. Why gays and lesbians would be expected to be any different in that respect is unclear.

Wakazhi wrote:
I'm not here to argue against people's rights. This is America, people are eventually going to get what they want. I'm just saying that genetically, it's not the same as heterosexuality. I'm not trying to discuss "good or bad", I'm just stating logic. ...

What is logical about it? Sexual orientation is a complex thing, which implies it is a systemic consequence of the expression of a range of specific genes, and if anthropological observation confirms that there are homosexuals in a wide range of human societies, whether repressed, tolerated, venerated or whatever, then it seems clear that a homosexual orientation is part of the natural range of variation. The logic appears to be an effort to apply an oversimplified argument in support of a particular social prejudice and then trying to pretend that the oversimplified argument fits the complexity of nature.

OTOH, a market for yaoi existing because girls find it cute to read manga about guys boinging each other, that seems more like a social phenomena.

Last edited by agila61 on Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wakazhi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:36 pm Reply with quote
merr wrote:
SoandSo wrote:

I almost put that in, but based on Wakazhi's post history, I assume he's opposed to all sex except for missionary (and only if neither party really enjoys it).

Well if we're going to talk about American Christians and group them up into one category, here's a scripture for those "Christians" that like having a lot of fun during sex:
[Galations 5:19-24
(19)Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, (20)Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, (21)Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God. (22)But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, (23)Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. (24)And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.]

The key word you're looking for concerning "fun sex" such as oral sex and even masochistic sexual acts can be described by this word "lasciviousness".
definition:
1. Given to or expressing lust; lecherous.
2. Exciting sexual desires; salacious.

As hard as it may sound, some people who call themselves Christians actually do follow what the Bible says and not let the rest of the world influence their moral standards.

I only posted that scripture to back up what I said and to disprove your prejudice against American Christians in general.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 18