• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What did you just buy?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wyntre_rose

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Well, as someone who is doing her all to support the anime/manga industry, I've done myself proud. However, as someone who also is really trying to watch her budget...not so much pride there. lol.

This month I purchased the anime of Princess Jellyfish, Arakawa Under the Bridge x Bridge, Dennou Coil and Only Yesterday (huzzah for the Land of Oz and region free DVD players!!). I also bought the manga of Mars, Eternal Sabbath - both in their entirety - Gate 7 vol 2, Kimi Ni Todoke vol 13, xxxHolic vol 19 (w00t! It's finally complete!! Shame about the cop-out ending...) and Dengeki Daisy vol 9. Then there are the Real Action Figures of Ginko, from Mushishi, and Kaworu from NGE.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Botan24 wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:
Botan24 wrote:
Royal Space Force - Wings of Honneamise DVD/BD

I'm envious. I really would like to see that again, but I haven't been able to bring myself to pay the asking price, even discounted as it is.

Aw, don't be that way...its only $40 bucks. Plus, its a clearance item. So, I think there were only thirty copies left when I purchased mine yesterday. I didn't want to wait much longer to get it.

All right, you win. I ordered it. It was only a matter of time anyway. I kid, but even though it might not be perfectly wise, I was ordering the limited edition of Yamada's First Time: B Gata H Kei since I'd ordered the standard accidentally last time and arranged an exchange with TRSI, so I decided to add a few targets of opportunity to my order.

To wit:

Anime
Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honnêamise (DVD and Blu-Ray combination pack)
Yamada's First TIme: B Gata H Kei (Complete limited edition)
Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad (volume 1 with artbox and volume 4)

I last saw Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honnêamise at least thirteen years ago and remember really enjoying it then. After years of seeing it praised and having acquired a few more years experience in the world, I hope to appreciate it better. It was something of an inevitability.

My ordering Yamada's First TIme: B Gata H Kei is just a clerical matter. I meant to order it the first time, but chose the standard edition instead and failed to notice that before I placed the order. I had sent a message immediate to TRSI's customer service, but they didn't see it before the order was sent out, so I arranged to return it to them for credit and order the one I wanted all along. What can I say? I'm a sucker for relatively robust packaging. Besides, it's only three dollars costlier. It's rather out of my wheelhouse, so still can't entirely believe that I'm buying it, but I'm too oddly curious to ignore it.

I only ordered what I did of Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad because I noticed that both were nearly out of stock; indeed I ordered the last of volume one with the artbox. I'm pretty sure that I'll want to watch this series eventually and both were very cheap, so it seemed like a reasonable choice. I'll worry (oh, what a possibly portentous word) about cobbling the rest together later.

(I also bought A Gateway To Sindarin: A Grammar of an Elvish Language from J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings at Barnes & Noble, which isn't anime, but combine it with the above and I break the Dork-barrier like neckbearded Chuck Yeager wearing Coke-bottle glasses. I bought Bruce Bartlett's The Benefit & The Burden too, but nobody cares.)

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:47 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I only ordered what I did of Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad because I noticed that both were nearly out of stock; indeed I ordered the last of volume one with the artbox. I'm pretty sure that I'll want to watch this series eventually and both were very cheap, so it seemed like a reasonable choice.

I am so sorry to hear that. Don't get me wrong, Beck is an amazing show with one of the best dubs ever made, but you really should've looked at the going price for the other volumes. Sure, they're mostly reasonable, but volume 5 will cost you a pretty penny - 3600 pretty pennies to be more precise.

There's always that one volume.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
wyntre_rose

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
(I also bought A Gateway To Sindarin: A Grammar of an Elvish Language from J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings at Barnes & Noble, which isn't anime, but combine it with the above and I break the Dork-barrier like neckbearded Chuck Yeager wearing Coke-bottle glasses.

I'm really glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read this, or I would've spit it all over my monitor in the giggle-fit that followed.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:12 am Reply with quote
Trip to the comic shop:

Honey and Clover 5
Nana 9
Sakura Hime 6

And from the bargain bin:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Real-Lies-v-Si-Young-Lee/dp/8952744845/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330247028&sr=8-1 (Amazon link cause the Encyclopaedia doesn't seem to have it) It's a 1 volume science fiction manhwa which reminds me of Doll by Mitsukazu Mihara.
Botan24

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:22 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
Botan24 wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:
Botan24 wrote:
Royal Space Force - Wings of Honneamise DVD/BD

I'm envious. I really would like to see that again, but I haven't been able to bring myself to pay the asking price, even discounted as it is.

Aw, don't be that way...its only $40 bucks. Plus, its a clearance item. So, I think there were only thirty copies left when I purchased mine yesterday. I didn't want to wait much longer to get it.

All right, you win. I ordered it. It was only a matter of time anyway. I kid, but even though it might not be perfectly wise, I was ordering the limited edition of Yamada's First Time: B Gata H Kei since I'd ordered the standard accidentally last time and arranged an exchange with TRSI, so I decided to add a few targets of opportunity to my order.

Yes! Fall to the power of my suggestion! Bawhahaha! ...Anyway, it really boils down to: if you wait and then the item goes OOP you'll wind up paying through the nose for it. Which leads me into the next quote:

The King of Harts wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:
I only ordered what I did of Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad because I noticed that both were nearly out of stock; indeed I ordered the last of volume one with the artbox. I'm pretty sure that I'll want to watch this series eventually and both were very cheap, so it seemed like a reasonable choice. I'll worry (oh, what a possibly portentous word) about cobbling the rest together later.

I am so sorry to hear that. Don't get me wrong, Beck is an amazing show with one of the best dubs ever made, but you really should've looked at the going price for the other volumes. Sure, they're mostly reasonable, but volume 5 will cost you a pretty penny - 3600 pretty pennies to be more precise.

^This is what I don't want to happen to me. I paid $25 dollars for volume 5 of BECK. That was in August. And, I paid around $50 for the black FMA tin (the starter version with vol. 1 and the CD). I've vowed no more of that! Buy it ASAP and avoid supply and demand mark ups.
Botan24

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:27 am Reply with quote
That last post probably pushes the bounds regarding "excess" quoting Smile

So here I am again. Speaking of supply and demand...

Manga via TRSI
Paradise Kiss volumes 1, 3, and 4. These are from the clearance bin and I already know volume 2 is quite rare, and pricey. Volume 5 I can pick up no problem on amazon. I'll just hope and pray to find that second volume somewhere, someday.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:43 am Reply with quote
Botan24 wrote:
That last post probably pushes the bounds regarding "excess" quoting Smile

So here I am again. Speaking of supply and demand...

Manga via TRSI
Paradise Kiss volumes 1, 3, and 4. These are from the clearance bin and I already know volume 2 is quite rare, and pricey. Volume 5 I can pick up no problem on amazon. I'll just hope and pray to find that second volume somewhere, someday.

*looks up vol 2 on amazon* Shocked

One of the things I love about this thread, is finding out stuff I bought 40% off years ago is now valuable. (My copy, though. I am so not giving up Paradise Kiss!)
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:57 am Reply with quote
Finally went ahead and got myself a Got Anime membership on TRSI yesterday, I've been meaning to do it for years but just never got around to it. Now, to hope they process it sometime before the YP sale ends Monday night....
Brainchild129

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Hell, in light of this news I'm glad I snatched up all of Paradise Kiss back around Christmas when RS had wrangled a few dozen copies of each volume.

Anyway, on Friday I was in a Half-Price Books waiting for my boyfriend to get off work and a I had a moment of weakness. Which is why I now have Vol. 1 & 2 of the Full Metal Panic manga and Vol. 1 of the Oh My Goddess OVA.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:58 pm Reply with quote
I am also glad I snatched up Paradise Kiss while it was still cheap. I do wish I had a grey copy of volume 5 rather than a purple one though, as they don't match Crying or Very sad Beggars can't be choosers though, and I've never, ever actually seen a grey copy of volume 5, only a purple one.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:37 pm Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
Finally went ahead and got myself a Got Anime membership on TRSI yesterday, I've been meaning to do it for years but just never got around to it. Now, to hope they process it sometime before the YP sale ends Monday night....

It should be processed nearly immediately. I know on the times I forget to renew in a timely fashion and it expires that when I add it to an order, I get the discount applied to that same order. So, I'd imagine you could start buying now and it would be applied.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:38 pm Reply with quote
wyntre_rose wrote:
xxxHolic vol 19 (w00t! It's finally complete!! Shame about the cop-out ending...)

Mine's in the mail right now. I just need to catch up and read vol 18 when I get time. But yeah, I heard that the ending was not very fullfillining... I've been avoiding spoilers, but of course I can't wait to read and find out how it ends! ....one day I'll get around to getting all of Tsubasa as well...
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:45 am Reply with quote
Botan24 wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:

^This is what I don't want to happen to me. I paid $25 dollars for volume 5 of BECK. That was in August. And, I paid around $50 for the black FMA tin (the starter version with vol. 1 and the CD). I've vowed no more of that! Buy it ASAP and avoid supply and demand mark ups.

I more or less knew what I was getting into. I checked all of the other volumes before I ordered what I did. I figured that I have plenty of time (38 to 63 years, by my estimate) to put the rest together, either by waiting until I can leap upon a singular bargain or until I can stomach paying a premium price. Either way, I'm only $8.50 into this as it stands, so I won't cry much if I never complete the set.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:24 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
(I also bought A Gateway To Sindarin: A Grammar of an Elvish Language from J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings
Why are you messing with that stuff? Why don't you just learn Cymraeg like a real man (/woman)? Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 850 of 1401