• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Anime Economy - Part 2: Shiny Discs

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saffire

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:13 pm Reply with quote
This is really great stuff. One question: could links at the bottom be added to navigate between articles? It's fine right now since they're both on the front page, but it'd be nice to be able to just bookmark one and still have easy access to all three.
omoikane

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:16 pm Reply with quote
I like this piece a lot more than the first one, which read more like a wink and a nudge. This one had a more cohesive narrative and had some actual numbers.
Guardsman Bass

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Great essay. I know the major content-makers here in the US are trying to prop up the sale of DVDs and Blu-Ray here in the US, with the Ultraviolet Consortium. I doubt it will work, since it's an up-hill battle to convince people to buy stuff they won't re-watch more than once.*

I wonder why there's no equivalent to the "Collector-Driven" set-up that exists in the Anime Business here in the US. You could point to the whole paradigm of selling cheap DVDs in retail stores, but that still wouldn't stop some niche publisher from trying to sell collector's versions at high prices over the Internet (or even in catalogs and magazines before the rapid expansion of Internet Retail in the 2000s).

* Put me in the category of people who don't like to buy stuff I don't re-watch. I've got about 73 movies that I've accumulated over the years, most of them being used DVDs/BDs that I got for cheap at one of the last DVD retailers in my area. There's maybe 10 of them that I've actually used more than once.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Its great to see one article collect all the bits and pieces of information mentioned in various ANNcasts. This article goes into my permanent bookmarks.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:46 pm Reply with quote
As a collector only interested in spending money on anime on physical media, and one who far prefers to buy it from a bricks-and-mortar store, I am eternally grateful that I have an anime specialty retailer, the Comic Book Shoppe's Anime Stop sub-store, within walking distance from my house. I'm also glad most HMV stores in the Ottawa area still sell anime DVD's.

Reading the parts about retail distribution (or the lack of it) in the United States in the article makes me feel oh so very spoiled.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bhl88

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Question to the one who knows to calculate this and the one who wrote the article:

1) What about the rare chance where the Japanese production company adds subtitles (or may add dubs)?

Ex: Haruhi complete BOX set
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:54 pm Reply with quote
I remember buying Bubblegum Crisis for $30 an episode on VHS, for the sub, and $25 for the dub. That was standard OVA pricing back in the day. TV shows generally gave two episodes for $25 dub and $30 sub. I remember being thrilled when a show was value priced and gave you four episodes a tape for $30.

I do love being spoiled, like $25 for a 26 episode series in a collection thinpack, but I don't much mind the $50ish for a 12 episode series on Blu Ray. It's still a fair bargain for me.

Does this make me some kind of hardcore fan?

I'm just glad to have good looking US releases.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:57 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if the loss of Japanese reverse importing is greater than any licensing fee being paid today. I wonder if it would actually be beneficial for the R1 market to die off in the long run?
[/devilsadvocate]
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:16 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
I wonder if the loss of Japanese reverse importing is greater than any licensing fee being paid today. I wonder if it would actually be beneficial for the R1 market to die off in the long run?

Sadly, you are not the first person to ponder this. On the flip side, it pretty much ensures that anime will never be anything but mega-niche in the U.S., since the Japanese companies are already notoriously bad at marketing to Americans.

bhl88 wrote:
What about the rare chance where the Japanese production company adds subtitles (or may add dubs)?

Those are done mostly for local audiences, though the Gundam Unicorn experiment has changed a lot of people's thinking lately. A couple hundred extra units sold to foreigners at Japanese prices are sounding mighty good these days. I don't think anybody would argue that hurts a potential US release much, and depending on what Viz does with Tiger and Bunny, we'll soon have proof.
Divineking

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:20 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
[/devilsadvocate]

For the Japanese? Sure it could possibly be more beneficial for the R1 industry to die. For us? No.

To play a bit of devil's advocate myself, it's already been a long proven fact that the Japanese frankly don't care too much about marketing towards us (understandable of course, but still) so should it matter to us if their making slightly less money with the way things are now? It's not like the Japanese anime industry is in danger of dying anytime soon. All killing off the R1 market would accomplish is making it harder for fans in that region to support the shows they like.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
TitanXL wrote:
[/devilsadvocate]

For the Japanese? Sure it could possibly be more beneficial for the R1 industry to die. For us? No.

To play a bit of devil's advocate myself, it's already been a long proven fact that the Japanese frankly don't care too much about marketing towards us (understandable of course, but still) so should it matter to us if their making slightly less money with the way things are now? It's not like the Japanese anime industry is in danger of dying anytime soon. All killing off the R1 market would accomplish is making it harder for fans in that region to support the shows they like.

Obviously it would be worse for us, I don't think anyone would deny that. But for Japan, why should they care about the foreign fans if it makes them less total money if they release it here?

Personally, I think within 5 years we'll see more same day releases with Japanese prices than licensed stuff. To me, that seems to make more sense financially since you can appeal to the hardcore fans in America while also eliminating money lost through reverse importation.

Just look at the possible difference in money made:

The article states that a series may be license for up to about 10,000 dollars an episode. Lets say that a popular 12 episodes series is licensed for that amount, so the original production committee gets 120k.

At the same time, a release for 400 bucks would only need to sell 300 copies here (which Fate/Zero for example should easily pass) to make that same amount of money... and that also eliminates the reverse importation.

Maybe they can release a cheaper set like 3-4 years down the line when reverse importation is no longer a worry, though.
_V_

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
as well as their production costs (which can range from a few hundred dollars for a barebones subtitled DVD, to over US$10,000 per episode to produce a dubbed Blu-ray.)

In a future installment, can you go over the numbers for how much North American anime releases cost per episode, and need to sell to make a profit? For subbed anime, and how much a dubbed release adds to the cost?

Btw, why did the mainstream DVD market drop like a rock? Due to Blu Ray gradually eclipsing it, or due to the rise of internet streaming? (that is, is the "Blu Ray market" doing well as the "DVD market" is doing poorly?)
Fifth B

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Once again, another wonderful article. It's quite interesting to finally get an accurate idea of how business in North America affects the Japanese side. Over the years, as I began to develop a collector mentality, I've gained more respect for the Japanese otaku who support these shows. As much as I'd like to pat myself on the back for supporting the industry and such, it's always shocking to see how much of the burden they carry. It's also quite frustrating to have the soul of a collector without all the money necessary to back it up!

On another note, I was wondering if you see the increase in products aimed largely (indeed one could say purely) at hard-core collectors eventually matching Japanese prices across the board, or do you see things staying about where they are now, with Funimation and other companies putting out slightly more expensive collectors editions alongside regular releases, while Aniplex and possibly others at some point put out what are essentially translated version of the Japanese product?

Finally, did anybody else notice the copy of La Blue Girl sitting on the shelf a few spaces away from Pom Poko and Princess Mononoke, and subsequently laugh their asses off? Ah, for the days when distributors would put anything on the shelf!
CKSqua

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:48 pm Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:
Btw, why did the mainstream DVD market drop like a rock? Due to Blu Ray gradually eclipsing it, or due to the rise of internet streaming? (that is, is the "Blu Ray market" doing well as the "DVD market" is doing poorly?)

Few people actually care about collecting home video, so they naturally gravitate toward cheaper but equally accessible ways of enjoying content.

The Blu-Ray market remains niche and shows no sign of becoming dominant.
Saffire

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:55 pm Reply with quote
CKSqua wrote:
_V_ wrote:

Few people actually care about collecting home video, so they naturally gravitate toward cheaper but equally accessible ways of enjoying content.

The Blu-Ray market remains niche and shows no sign of becoming dominant.
Untrue. Some reports predict Bluray overtaking DVD as early as this year as DVD sales continue to collapse while Bluray market share has increased year over year since 2008.

http://blog.cdrom2go.com/2011/06/blu-ray-sales-to-surpass-dvd-sales-by-2012/
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 14