• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Waiting in the Summer (Ano Natsu de Matteru) (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Ichigo and Remon
Strawberry and Lemon.

Good comparison there tbh.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Volibear wrote:
1. Remon has a strong resemblance to Ichigo from Onegai Teacher

(snip snip)

You are aware that both characters are voiced by the same VA, aren't you? Same sinister chuckle.

It is clearly the same character archetype, but there is no reason the story is set in the same universe or continuity between them. Almost the entire ensemble here mirrors the Please Teacher cast in so many ways yet the characters are all so different entities.

My take is that the writer(s) liked their originals so much they wanted to give them a new workout with a new story. Not just to try to extend the old one.

Don't bust your brain trying to prove something that isn't provable. If they have decided to join the stories they will make it obvious, but so far they clearly haven't.
dan7el

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:59 pm Reply with quote
I never watched OT either. What I like about this show is that they're not fiddling around with the relationships. Things are moving along rather well.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:38 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

So everyone has everything off their chests and no one is bitter. I don't think that's completely realistic, but given the characters in this setting (and being an anime), I can believe it. I particularly liked Kanna confessing to Kaito and then him easily and gently letting her down.

Everyone is happy, things are going well, the world is at peace...until Ichicka's sister pops up. God dammit. Lets see where this is going to go in the last two episodes. Nagai, if you're reading this, please don't take this down the "I've come to take you home" route. Please, just don't.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:17 am Reply with quote
It is rather good, everyone has told the other person what they think, no more navigating around not wanting to tell their crush.

I actually totally saw that one of spoiler[Ichika's sister] would show up since she mentioned had them, for some strange reason I was really looking forward to it. Probably becuase it will slightly change the dynamics with Ichika, yet also show another side that we have not been privy to, the question is if this will be good or bad for Kaito and Ichika. Naturally her spoiler[sister seem to have been woried about Ichika, what with an emergency pod being sent to her, then said pod being destroyed.] Well how old is Ichika, and is it an age where her opinions would be taken seriously in her culture?
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:48 pm Reply with quote
What a surprising and interesting ending. I feel kinda sorry for Tetsuro this episode though although he "might" have a shot with Kanna still.

Lol'd @ Remon's "present" in this episode.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:11 pm Reply with quote
I've always been uncomfortable with this pentagram dynamic because it has always been obvious that only two out of five people get to be happy. I don't particularly care about Kai and Senpai. They're nice enough, I guess, I just don't find either one very interesting and I don't really buy them as a couple. I don't see any chemistry. I don't particularly care about Kanna and Tetsuro either. They're there. The only one I kinda give a damn about is Mio who, along with Remon, are the only two truly interesting characters to me. I hope she gets what she wants even if I don't particularly understand why she wants it. But it's not like there's a plethora of interesting dudes around there, anyway.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Well, after watching this latest episode, I'm rooting for Tetsuro and Kanna.
Xanas

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Hmm.. I think I want to disagree with you Blood- but when I think about it I can't. I do like the show overall but think that there is something about the execution here that leaves the whole Ichika/Kai dynamic pretty weak.

I think they are releasing this sub-only, so sadly this can't be helped by a better performance in an English version, although even they way they have plotted makes it seem a little weak so I'm not sure what could have been done there.

I'm thinking that by making the relationship itself take longer to come around they actually made it very lackluster.

I also agree that Mio and Remon are the more interesting characters. On Mio's side I definitely am rooting for her over a Kanna/Tetsuro pairing.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the thing I like about Mio is that, on the surface, she seems like a bit of an airhead, but she's actually quite observant. Plus, what I like about her is that she never lied to herself; she knew she liked Tetsuro and wasn't oblivious or dishonest about that to herself, like many of the other characters have been. She decided to act even though she knew the odds were long. And she's showing some determination, which is cool.

I agree with you, Xanas, that a dub performance is unlikely to save Kai's character. He's just flat out bland. Three girls have expressed interest in him during the course of the show and I'm totally at a loss as to why. In my case, I'm also prejudiced against him based on character design. He looks 12 years old to me, so that doesn't exactly help me figure why he's such catnip for the ladies.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I've always been uncomfortable with this pentagram dynamic because it has always been obvious that only two out of five people get to be happy.

Objection. Argument assumes facts not in evidence.

You are assuming that each individual can only be happy if they get hooked up with the object of their desire. And who's to say that the couples who do consummate are the ones that end up happy?

These are portrayals of children, who routinely make hash out of their love lives. It is part of the growing up process. Kanna and Tetsuro in this case are the ones doing the most growing up; Ichika and Keito are the ones who will be retarded for a while in that respect -- in other words extending their childhood.

My own letdown in the series is that when I realized the strong creative ties of this to Onegai Teacher, I thought they would produce a story that extends past their first sex experience. We see too little of that and I guess we won't here either.
dan7el

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:51 pm Reply with quote
FFirst off, no one has mentioned the spoiler[rubber] Lemon offered the main character. Note how he spoiler[deftly pocketed said item] rather than returning it.

Secondaly, the main character deserves what he has. He has proven himself worthy. I do wonder what the red-haired alien chick sees in him, but whatever....
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Ok, episode 11, exciting episode is exciting. I really was looking forward to seeing one of Ichika's sister since she mentioned them, and she was good. I think positives from the fact that she obviously sees Ichika as a stuborn younger sister, instead of a senpai, or whatever Remon sees her as.

So confirmation about secrets of Remon, she found spoiler[Ichika's sister too easilly, has multple drivers licenses, some gadgets she had in the van are explained by being given by the sister, but the van's super secret robot arm] is not standard issue. Man those recovery drones are violent, you could think they cause more harm than good.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Loved this latest episode tbh, great action and drama all around
Xanas

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:54 pm Reply with quote
I agree on the episode, I think it was good, not what I expected really.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9