• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Treiz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:21 pm Reply with quote
been watching a few shows lately. Ran through Red Line and Rosario+Vampire. They were both ok, not really standing out apart from Red Line's animation.

I watched Yamada's First Time and loved it. Very funny.

I just picked up an old copy of Dominion Tank Police and the New Dominion Tank Police. They are great, a bit like a cross between Patlabor and Irresponsible Captain Taylor, though not quite as good as those two shows.
supercreep

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Just finished up Durarara!! and loved it. Besides some awkward plotting involving Saika, I thought it was fantastic. Exactly what I would want from the same people behind Baccano!

Continuing my Death Note saga, holy shit. spoiler[ I never really thought that Light would be able to kill L]. I was seriously, mouth agape, shocked. I was a fool for avoiding this show for so long.

Off topic, but can someone tell me how to get the MyAnime link in my sig? I've seen a few people with it and I'm stumped.
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:42 pm Reply with quote
I've just had a play with it now, use the 'my ANN' tab at the top right. Using the 'My Anime' bit, add your titles, etc. Once you're finished adding, there's a 'Customise my categories' option. Choose to make your relevant category public ('seen all', for example) and you'll get the button added to your posts.
supercreep

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:47 pm Reply with quote
dirkusbirkus wrote:
I've just had a play with it now, use the 'my ANN' tab at the top right. Using the 'My Anime' bit, add your titles, etc. Once you're finished adding, there's a 'Customise my categories' option. Choose to make your relevant category public ('seen all', for example) and you'll get the button added to your posts.

Thanks! Worked perfectly.
Botan24

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Time for a quick news update:

First up, Blood+ Let's see, I'm half watching this. My husband and I viewed the first couple of episodes together. Its good, but not enough to interest me to keep up with it regularly. My husband is pretty far now, and he's been keeping me abreast of the current events. Sometimes, I'm in the same room while he's watching, so I have seen more than the first handful of episodes. I did see the one which involved Saya finally spoiler[reading the book of Joel], and discovering her true past. So that was an appreciated explanation, especially the part about spoiler[her twin sister, and how she was treated.] In any case, I want to know how its gonna end, but I'll just wait until my husband fills me in or I happen to see it myself.

Planetes is next. Now, this is more my speed. I love, love anime that takes place in space, or is "space themed". And this is no exception. The small cast, and somewhat episodic storyline are all appealing to me. I quite enjoy the characters, especially Tanabe, even with all her idealism. Hachimanki is turning into quite the ass lately, so I'm not digging that. He was pretty okay, up till spoiler[the Von Braum tryouts.] I know a man has to pursue his dreams, but still, he seems to be taking it to the extreme. Although, in retrospect I guess one has to do that in order to swim to the top. Whatever the reason, its still a great show, and I can't wait to see how it ends.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Genma Wars: Vol 3: The crazy is back!
There is no way this show can be serious.
At the last of the previous disc, Jin killed the leader of the Ninja's. Ran was the Ninja's leader girl, she goes to the Wizards to get power for revenge.... and is impregnated by the wizard king.
She soon gives birth (on screen) to an ugly green baby, which Jin tries to kill but he stops.
Meanwhile the wizard king spends his days knocking up other human females, and his wife getting drunk and plotting.
Jin and Roof meet, and call together all their brothers and sisters (Wizard king/human offspring). The ugly green baby begins controlling Ran and speaking telepathically with Jin and Roof.
The assault against the wizards begin, for this, the ugly green baby re-enters Ran.... for protection (reverse birth).
The wizard king dies, and Jin and Roof and the ugly green baby are transported to modern times (the past apparently).
An office lady is fired, and finds the ugly green baby in the while wandering in the park and ignores Jin and Roofs warnings that the baby is dangerous and also insists on giving Jin and Roof a home.
Anarchists are executed and the wizards are shown to be in control.

Final disc should come later this week.

Queen's Blade: I bought this ages ago, it was cheap and I wanted to see how it went. It is kind of depressing that the two females with the most realistic bust sizes, are lolicon bait. Nudity, flimsy plot, some character developement, ok dub.
The best part was an unlabeled Japanese voice actress interview on Disc 2 where the actresses for Leina and Tomoe talk for 11 minutes about the show, never mentioning the 500lb giant naked mammary in the room. It is kind of comical. No need for anymore of this for me, not my style of fanservice. Speed 1.5x (I would go 2x, but Nanael was too hard to follow).

Boogiepop Phantom: I am not sure of the history of Nighthead Genesis, which I recently watched, but it seemed to draw a lot from Boogiepop. Very creepy, kind of hard to follow show. It was very hard to follow as the characters changed from episode to episode weaving a (at first) seemingly vaguely connected story. Toward the end, it all starts coming together, and when it is over, I was impressed. This one will be rewatched. Speed: Normal
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:58 pm Reply with quote
supercreep wrote:
Continuing my Death Note saga, holy shit. spoiler[ I never really thought that Light would be able to kill L]. I was seriously, mouth agape, shocked. I was a fool for avoiding this show for so long.

L had never spoiler[even so much as blinked let alone closed his eyes in the entire show leading up to his death scene, so when he looked at Light smiling back at him and then shut his eyes it carried a heck of an impact.]

My advice would be to drop the show after episode twenty-six, because it will never again be as good as it was.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:11 am Reply with quote
I watched A.D. Police, a spin-off of Bubblegum Crisis 2040 that I have mentioned before, a few days ago. I don’t think of it as something that I bought, but as a free gift that I got with Parasite Dolls. It is not to be confused with A.D. Police Files, a cool OVA that was released in the early nineties that was spun off from the original Bubblegum Crisis.

I was pessimistic about the series, but not sure what to expect; Bamboo Dong liked it ten years ago, but Daryl Surat more recently derided it as, “unwatchable.”

Every episode of A.D. Police has the titles and names of some of the key staff, such as the episode director and series director, overlaid on the opening scenes. This immediately reminded me of Law & Order or Homicide: Life on the Street, which is fitting, because A.D. Police is really an ensemble procedural show. It doesn’t take particular care to methodically portray imaginary future anti-boomer police procedure, but it does dress it up with some official terminology. It also doesn’t do very well at interesting us in its ensemble for most of the series, which drags it down badly.

A.D. Police is not a pretty series. It was produced after Bubblegum Crisis 2040, but whereas that was either digitally animated or a blend of digital and cel animation, A.D. Police looks like a worn down old cel series. This isn’t a bad thing to me; I like the less slick, more humanly imperfect look of cel animation, but A.D. Police often looks cheap, washed out and unloved. I suspect that ADV might have been given poor masters for this release. Then again, better ones probably wouldn’t’ve done great service. This series clearly had a niggardly budget. The animation is sometimes stiff and often clearly cheated. There’s more than one character whose running is shown by shaking a background while we get no more sensory indication of the character’s action than panting. The characters sometimes look quite off model too, sometimes they even freeze in place to show us how unfortunately misdrawn they are. It’s a small pity too, because the designs aren’t that bad. The two leads are quite handsome, one in a ‘bad boy ‘ sort of way and the section chief is something of a looker, but they allow the supporting cast some more leeway. Even the two women on the squad, although not really even plain, aren’t drawn as improbably beautiful or pneumatic.

Further trouble comes in that we go little past the looks of most of the ensemble until the second half of the series. The first half dozen episodes pay attention mostly to the leads and to their plots. One of the leads is a cold loose cannon who has a problem with authority and prefers to work alone while the other is his new partner: a nice guy that he didn’t ask for. Except for a twist that you’ll probably see coming, these two came pretty well straight out of the character archetype warehouse. The rest don’t have much to do or say for a while. This becomes a problem when an episode in the middle tries to build to a climactic tragic moment, but it doesn’t earn it. This is mostly because the character upon whom the emotional response depends wasn’t built up enough in the foregoing episodes, so most of the personal details that would make the story work are dropped in on anvils. It doesn’t help that the climax of the episode plays around with needless complications that drag things out without adding any dramatic or emotional tension.

This all gets better, at least for a moment, in the seventh episode of the series. I don’t know if a lightning bolt struck somebody on the staff or a different director took over, but it feels very different and better than what came before. It’s a bottle episode, but like all good bottle episodes, it exploits its limited setting and cast to focus intimately upon them and tell a more personal, human story. It’s really just twenty odd minutes of the characters talking with minimal plot in the way. It’s a little revelatory, lightly comic and briefly poignant. The episode depends, as such episodes often do, upon some contrived circumstances and convenient events, but these make something worth sacrificing some verisimilitude work, so there’s no reason to care. It feels almost like a lonely vignette. I suspect that it could be viewed without seeing any of the rest of the series and still be pretty satisfying. The series immediately falls from the height that episode seven put it at, but not too fast or far. The following episodes retain some of its sensibilities and all benefit from the fact that it gives some way to care about the cast more deeply than incidental dangers and episodic climaxes might.

There isn’t much to say of the larger plot of the series. Most of its parts are very familiar, having appeared before in police procedurals or science fiction, but none of it is really badly done. The twist to the series becomes pretty obvious halfway to even the mildly canny viewer, although some credit is due to the series for being pretty clever about it once or twice and for ending in a way that might offend the sentimentality of the audience. It’s the sort of series that one can watch over an afternoon and not mind having watched it, but could almost as easily have done without seeing.

The title invites comparison to the A.D. Police Files OVA, although the two are very different. I much preferred the old OVA for its moodiness and stronger sense of character, but it doesn’t beat A.D. Police as badly as I had expected.

I've also been slowly watching Black Rock Shooter and Puella Magi Madoka Magica.

Black Rock Shooter is a pretty engaging, but odd blend of a middle school melodrama and somehow abstract action series. It's shorter than average, so some of the emotional climaxes feel as though their intensity is unearned, but it's all engaging enough to keep enjoying. It isn't a really deep series, but the characters try hard enough that they're sympathetic and the way that the action in the 'other world' play out so sensationally, but in silence does make them strangely interesting. I've even be intrigued by some of the twists that the creators have built into the story. They haven't been revolutionary, but they also weren't effortlessly predictable.

Having just watched its fourth episode, I now like Puella Magi Madoka Magica a lot. I came to it very skeptical; effusive praise often provokes the contrarian in me, but I begin to think that it could be as good as everybody claims. The first three were good, but it was only at the end of the fourth episode that everything felt as though it had mixed thoroughly. The darkness and menace of the series has become palpable. I really appreciate that it has the patience to let the characters soak their emotions in and play them out in a way that makes them feel as though they matter and the characters deserve to feel them. The artwork and direction are also excellent. Every episode has at least a few very cannily composed shots. The artwork for the labyrinths and witches is excellent. I've become very enthusiastic about this series and am excited about seeing more.

Gewürtztraminer wrote:
An office lady is fired, and finds the ugly green baby in the while wandering in the park and ignores Jin and Roofs warnings that the baby is dangerous and also insists on giving Jin and Roof a home. Anarchists are executed and the wizards are shown to be in control.

Cocaine is a Hell of a drug.

Treiz wrote:
I just picked up an old copy of Dominion Tank Police and the New Dominion Tank Police. They are great, a bit like a cross between Patlabor and Irresponsible Captain Taylor, though not quite as good as those two shows.

I really want to see those two; at least the first was a regular on Saturday Anime and thus a part of why I first became interested in anime. I had been waiting for good copies to appear at prices that I could swallow, but my throat has since become wider, so now I'm just resisting them out of inertia and a faint hope that DiscoTek will license them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dr. Otacon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:03 am Reply with quote
I'm watching Lupin 3rd Dead or Alive because I am really eager for the new Lupin series to come out and the First Haul boxset is helping fill the gap until that time.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:26 am Reply with quote
Sigh i am re-watching azumanga daioh for the 17th time in 10 years. The main reason why is due part that it's officially azumanga daioh's official 10 year anniversary this year and I want to rejoice with the girls that are the same age as me now "24-26"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
supercreep

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:15 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
supercreep wrote:

L had never spoiler[even so much as blinked let alone closed his eyes in the entire show leading up to his death scene, so when he looked at Light smiling back at him and then shut his eyes it carried a heck of an impact.]

My advice would be to drop the show after episode twenty-six, because it will never again be as good as it was.

That's too bad. Unfortunately, I am too hooked to be able to do that. I'm at episode 30 now, so I'm charging ahead. The new character, Mello, really ticked me off.
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:22 am Reply with quote
Mm, that's the rub with Death Note. Because of how gripping the chemistry between Light and L is,spoiler[ once L is gone the show loses a significant part of what makes it great. It'd be great to be able to say it reaches those heights again later on, but I just... can't.] dtm42's advice is sound, but you'll obviously want to see it through because the first half just sells you so well. It's a damned shame to be honest.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:35 am Reply with quote
@ Supercreep: Death Note will indeed never be as good as it first was - but - I thought that it had a fitting ending. A fitting ending in anime isn't reeeeally rare, but not that common either. How many times I wished an anime wouldn't a. randomly stop b. think of a weird original ending c. make some effort to end it without being awkward but you know you'll have to read the manga/novels for the rest of the story d. just have a badly made ending.
Yup, it takes a lot of effort to make up a good story, but the feeling you have after seeing the ending usually lasts.
kilaria

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:59 pm Reply with quote
All this talk about Death Note makes me want to watch it again!! I have seen the entire series subbed. But how is the dub? I'd like to watch it again, and hopefully talk my husband into watching it with me, but he will only watch an anime dubbed. He hates reading subtitles. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:32 pm Reply with quote
I personally think the Death Note dub is excellent. In fact, it seems to be one of those dubs that even die-hard subbers go, "Yeah, actually I can live with that."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 669 of 1062