• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Spring 2012 Season: Postmortem

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:50 am Reply with quote
Tbh, I see alot of anime with school life as part of its theme this upcoming Spring season:

Ginga e Kickoff!!
Hyou-ka
Accel World
Medaka Box
Sankarea
Dusk maiden of Amnesia
Kimi to Boku season 2
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
stjberserker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Looking forward to:

- Ginga E Kickoff , because I love sports animes.

- Kuroko No Basuke, because I also read the manga and this one is next to Slam Dunk my fav basketball manga ...

- Fate/ Zero, because S1 was already pretty good and this will be the best the season has to offer. Also read the Novels and amazing stuff is coming ...

-Zetman, because the manga is pretty great and one of my favs. They can't really do much wrong with Zetman.

- Kenichi OVA's, because its pretty funny.

Thinking these will be the most popular:

1. Fate/ Zero
2. Zetman
3. Koroku No Basuke
4. Jormungand
5. Eureka Seven Ao
6. Shining Hearts

The rest of "new" stuff doesn't seem to be promising at all. It will be Watch 1/2 eps and then drop scenario.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:52 pm Reply with quote
LaFreccia wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

Sakamichi no Apollon is a must watch.

Yeah! This is the one show I am really looking forward to.

Thirded! I expect that at the very least, the soundtrack will give me an eargasm.

What I might like and what I'll watch are different things. I'm not good at this whole simulcast game yet. I've only really followed Bodacious Space Pirates this season, despite knowing damned well that I should at least watch Chihayafuru. I've been watching Lagrange: The Flower of Rin-ne, but almost out of a sense of obligation; it has some good stuff, but feels like a reverse malamar; a a satisfying chocolate center surrounded by a lot of marshmallow fluff.

That said, I'm nominally genuinely interested in four series, and a little curious about a few others:

Jormungand - I haven't read the manga, but I think that this could be a cool, entertaining and even slightly interesting series. I have no illusions that it will try to plumb the possible ethical depths of arms dealing, but that premise might give it a slightly less atrophied brain than the archetypical action romp. Even if it's just as dumb as anything else, I think it could make up for that on personality. Koko Hekmatyar is an immediately, if for now only superficially, interesting character. She has an unusual background and interesting look with her peculiar take on professional dress and stepford smile.

Apollo on the Slope: They god the band back together! Well, so far as I can tell, Keiko Nobumoto isn't involved and I don't think that the Seatbelts have reunited, but it's Shinichirō Watanabe and Yōko Kanno! They're two of the biggest reasons I'm even here. The story looks like a break from pattern for Watanabe, but the source has a pile of acclaim, which I hope isn't burying it, and a good slice-of-life cum coming-of-age story can be interesting, compelling and relatable. The character designs look fairly naturalistic and the scenario could allow for a very tight, sincere story. If nothing else, it should have some awesome music by the woman who's responsible for my fondness for jazz. The sixties produced some of my favorite jazz by the likes of Jackie McLean, Thad Jones, Gerry Mulligan and Dave Brubeck. Much of what Yōko Kanno composed for Cowboy Bebop seemed to draw upon that era, so I have very high hopes for the score.

Zetman: I don't know a lot about this, but its evident grim tone and 'has it coming' susceptibility to subversion of the superhero motif make it immediately intriguing. I could see this being a harsh, bleak treatment of a story usually told with heroic bravado and boisterous optimism. I have hopes that because the manga has been around for eleven years, the creative time will have had a decade of refinements to the premise to apply, the dangers of a 'gecko ending' notwithstanding.

Lupin III - The Woman Called Fujiko Mine: Lupin III is usually very entertaining and this could be more interesting than most. Fujiko is one of essential characters of the series, but tends to be something of an outsider and quasi-antagonist relative to Lupin, Jigen and Goemon, so a series with her at the fore could be bring some refreshing to the franchise. The creative team is really promising too; having women direct and compose a series about a sometimes cheesecake love interest that promises to be a sensual, more daring interpretation of the franchise should have interesting results. I like the new style that Takeshi Koike has applied for the character designs; it'd be nice if blue jacket Lupin earns a secure place in the canon. Mari Okada has an uncertain record as a writer, but Saya Yamamoto's prior work on Michiko e Hatchin makes her seem like a good choice. I'm really interesting in seeing how this turns out.

I want to see at least some of Ozuma; Leiji Matsumoto has a knack with a lot of things that I like and the sandy wasteland, almost an anime Dune, motif is alluring. It doesn't seem to be getting much attention in the west and I don't really relish the idea of hunting it down illicitly.

I am a little curious Accel World since it looks like it might have a more distinctive, genuinely socially marginal protagonist rather than the more usual male audience surrogate, but it feels too typical otherwise.

I feel like I'm supposed to be eager to see Space Brothers with its acclaim and the dramatic possibilities of the scenario, but I just am not.

Tsuritama has a weird enough premise and distinctive enough artwork that it has some of my attention, but I really, really don't care about fishing.

I am not sincerely interested in AKB0048 or Upotte, but they both seem daffy enough for me to want to take a look at each just to stare the screen and go, "WHAT?!?" for as long as I can stand.

If I'm lucky, one of the series that I've overlooked or written off will surprise me.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:15 pm Reply with quote
I don't like look at upcoming shows too early, makes it hard to keep track of the shows I am already watching, but having most shows with 10 episodes out seems like a good amount. I will take a look of what coming shows look intersting:

Kore wa Zombie Desu ka?: Jogoku Hen: The first season was awesome when it was out, I will definetly look forward to this dark comedy, with fun characters.

Haiyore! Nyaruko-san: This series caught my eye with the ONA, and when I found the tv shorts were so short I was really dissapointed, and it felt that it was mostly just trolling the viewers. But if this is an actual series I am going to be so happy, the OP/ED song of the shorts made it look like a good watch, hells yeah to Lovecraft meets moe.

Sankarea: This show was brought to my attention in the Another thread on the topic of possibly boning the dead. And this is one of those series with bizare sounding plots that I have to watch, probably going to usher in zombie fanservice.

Hyou-ka: The style in the picture looks attractive, can't say much about story yet, but it gets my attention.

Acchi Kocchi: probably going to be aweful, but I think that there is room for some potential, it could be good.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Not a bunch to reflect on yet but I thought I'd make a reminder that this is here. Changed the name, added a couple links to the front page. Enjoy.

What am I watching? As always I'm the type that will watch just about everything once and make my cuts from there,
Svidrigailov

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Space Brothers is actually looking pretty good. I wasn't expecting to, but I quite enjoyed the first episode.

I'm really looking forward to Kids on the Slope (or Apollo on the Slope) and tsuritama looks like it has some potential.
Gatherum

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:04 pm Reply with quote
The only show out of these that, to me, is a sure watch, is Eureka Seven: AO (though I do need to get through the first series). Rock Lee SD more or less looks like a timekiller show. I might watch it, but I'm not going to be into it.

Unfortunately, I've never even seen Fate/Stay Night, and never saw the attraction, so a continuation of Fate/Zero isn't on my viewing list, but I do hope for those who are following it that it will live up to its hype and not turn out to be a continuation solely due to positive ratings.

The majority scream moe and slice of life to me, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but, as I have probably stated in the past, I am very picky about that spectrum. Queen's Blade: Rebellion is obviously another season to an established ecchi/fanservice property, which is not something I will turn away from, but not something that I will typically pick out to watch in a given season. Honestly, the only reason I'm even into Sekirei is because I arbitrarily watched it ON DEMAND once, and it's not as if it really stands out among its peers--the story is meh, but at least its there, and its characters are amusing enough.

Zetman looked slightly interesting due in large part to its art, which seems to intimate a darker series that takes itself a bit more seriously than the rest by comparison. I'm still very iffy on it though, to be frank, since I am not sure if those impressions really go any further than that.

Upotte! looks amusing simply by virtue of being about personified military-issue firearms, something that I can relate to, being in the Army. Apart from that, though, I'll have to see what they do with it.

Out of all those that are not sequels, I believe that the one I'll be watching closest is Dusk maiden of Amnesia. It's a supernatural mystery drama with some impressive visuals and it looks like it has potential. I suppose we'll see.

tl;dr

Watching

• Eureka Seven: AO (+)
  • Naruto SD: Rock Lee no Seishun Full-Power (-)

Deliberating

• Dusk maiden of Amnesia (+)
  • Upotte! (-)
  • Zetman (-)

(+) Favouring
(-) Sceptical
4750G

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Of the sequels I'll most probably watch only Fate/Zero. My current list of to be watched anime stands thus:

Acchi Kocchi
Gakkatsu!
Haiyore! Nyaruko-san
Hiiro no Kakera - this one's first episode has been released, and I found it okay. Will continue watching.
Sankarea
Hyouka
Upotte!!
Medaka Box
Volibear

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:49 am Reply with quote
cause i was kinda bored i made a list of the most anticipated series based on the Squidoo Spring 2012 Anime page if anyone else is interested:

1. Hyouka 92.6%
2. Dusk Maiden of Amnesia 90.2%
3. Haiyoru! Nyaruko-san 89.4%
4. Accel World 87.9%
5. Jormungand 84.7%
6. Tsuritama 84.3%
7. Kore wa Zombie Desuka S2 83.5%
8. Sankarea 81.8%
9. Shining Hearts 80.9%
10. Fate/Zero 79.8%
11. Eureka Seven AO 74.5%
12. Acchi Kocchi 73.3%
13. Zetman 72.9%
14. Natsuiro Kiseki 71.7%
15. Medaka Box 70%

i stopped @ 70% to avoid a really exhaustive list but it worked out as a top 15 of their "will you watch _________? polls

kinda interested in the results myself, with Kore wa Zombie and Fate/Zero down as far as they are, although i think thats because they're sequels and if you haven't seen the first part the second isn't of much interest to you
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Well, after going over my blog again. This is most likely what I'll be watching for Spring:

Priorities:

- Eureka 7: Astral Ocean
- Accel World
- Medaka Box
- Hyouka
- Dusk Maiden of Amnesia

Watching but may drop if it turns into crap:

- Hiiro no Kakera
- Mysterious Girlfriend X
- Sankarea
- Is this a Zombie? Season 2
- Jormungand
- Ozuma
- Tsuritama
- Shining Hearts
- Zetman

Edit: Considering dropping Medaka Box although undecided atm.

Last edited by Stark700 on Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:16 am; edited 1 time in total
belindabird
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:34 am Reply with quote
So far I've only had a chance to check out a few things, and even less of a chance to blog about them formally, but here are a few thoughts:

Polar Bear's Cafe - While some of the gags can get a bit repetative (like Panda's mother vacuuming him up), the fact that the animal character designs are so life-like adds a certain whimsy to this series that's hitting me exactly the right way. I am a big sucker for things that involve cute animals, so I expect that I'll probably be watching all of this when I get the chance.

Space Brothers - I expected to enjoy the first episode, and I did. I'm glad to see a series with an adult protagonist for once. I liked the little touches of humor, but I'm glad that the show also decided to deal with the main character's very understandable feelings of failure and inadequacy, since it can truly feel difficult when a younger sibling usurps an older sibling's position in the family.

Lupin III - Posted a longer-form review of the first episode here. The short version is that I enjoyed the first episode quite a bit, but it was sort of difficult to get my head around all the nudity. I'm definitely in it for the animation style and the characters in general. I just checked out the second episode, which isn't quite as "wacky" as the first and introduces Jigen, and was also pretty good and entertaining.

As for everything else, I'm looking forward to Tsuritama and Sakamichi no Apollon the most, and I hope to check out Jormungand soon as well.
supercreep

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:24 am Reply with quote
I'm shocked that I don't see more Kids on the Slope on these lists. Come on, people!

Anyway, this is a huge season for me. I've never been interested in so many shows. Here is what I'm checking out:

Kids on the Slope
Accel World
Medaka Box
Tsuritama
Dusk Maiden of Amnesia
Jormungand

I usually only watch 1-3 Laughing

Edit: I hope Funimation starts their streaming soon.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:38 pm Reply with quote
An embarrassment of riches this season. Even the worst of the shows I tried out had something interesting to them. I wish a couple of these could have aired in the winter because there's just so much to watch, I don't know how I'll do it. Luckily, I don't have a life. Embarassed

Continuing:
Bodacious Space Pirates, Detective Conan (I guess that goes here now that I've caught up), Hunter X Hunter, Sket Dance

Probably Watching to the end:
Accel World: A good, different type of main protagonist- a bit of a mystery as to where it's heading, but it has very expertly teased me into wanting more.
Acchi Kocchi: It's not that this show is tremendous, but it creates some seriously big warm fuzzies. It does seem to be a mystery as to why these two, who both seem to realize they have feelings for each other, aren't dating- but the flirting is great stuff, and the supporting two are nice too.
Dusk Maiden of Amnesia: Great, intriguing, good pair, not too cliche, good sense of humor with hints of story depth.
Folktales From Japan: Are they simple little kids stories? Yes, and I really want to hear them, call it cultural curiosity, and I think the first couple have been quite charming.
Haiyore! Nyaruko-san: silly people, all upset that someone's "disrespecting" Lovecraft. What? You wanted them to be regular ol' Oni / Aliens? Again? No, this was a good twist on an old trick and it seems really focused on comedy and genre parody.
Is This A Zombie? of the Dead!: Back for more... so the school will know about him now? Nice.
Kids on the Slope: This is obviously a show you have to see to completion or quit right away, it promises to be a good coming of age story and I love seeing periods of Japan's recent past depicted.
Lupin III: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine: If I were rating these top to bottom this would be on the top. I found it amazing. A gritty and edgy feel and look, a bit sexy and never before have I wanted to know all about Lupin more. And to tell the truth- Fujiko has often seemed like a gimmick of a character in previous versions- she flirts, she double-crosses, you always know what she's going to do. She's a bit boring. But in one episode they showed how they are committed to giving her depth that I've never seen before.
Kimi to Boku 2: They're nice guys, I can hang out with them again. The moments when they reveal their deeper feeling can be subtle but strong.
Medaka Box: Looks to be a lot of fun. Some variation on gender roles, she's not just your usual over-achiever/S, he's not your usual subservient/M. It's not like MM! or Setokai Yakuindono It could be very good for that reason. I'll give it time to prove that Medaka is even more than she seems.
Mysterious Girlfriend X: This might place second after Lupin based on the first ep- I am really curious about where this relationship goes. IMO it really pulled off a really strange twist in an almost believable way. And the Awkwardness of these two is a palpable thing.
OZMA: I guess this goes here, half in one season, half in the other. It's a good standard adventure and at 6 episodes its an easy commitment.
Polar Bear's Cafe: The humor almost seems too dry, but when I watch it I'm constantly smiling, so I guess it's working. It seems to be a daytime show too, I wonder if its going more than one cour?
Sankarea: I have many questions after the first episode, but they're almost all variations on "how far will they go?" Is she really a zombie? How bad is the parental misconduct? The cousin is jealous, but how jealous? Yandere Jealous? Will it be a sweet little romance or something different? I think this show might be the most flexible of the season, it can go in may ways.
Space Brothers: Looks to be an excellent adult-focused sci-fi showcase with a touch of reality.
tsuritama: So much style, really liked it. I also like the tiny ways it made me think characters were going to be a certain type and then switching it slightly. The shy kid is actually pretty upbeat; the glasses kid/fishing prince is not as rude as you'd think; Grandma is damn cool; Haru? Well, he's a just a simple space cadet so far, but I expect more out of him and the goose guy.

Considering:
Eureka Seven AO: Only a "maybe" because I might put it off to watch when it's done. It was a really neat first ep though, and I at least want to see the 2nd episode before deciding to put it off.
Jormungand: It looks like thy put some effort into this, that's nice, but my pacifist tendencies always get in the way of my enjoyment of these "real world" military/ crime action shows. I could stand and appreciate Black Lagoon though, so maybe this too.
Kuroko no Basuke: I might just decide I should stick to baseball anime, I don't care much for the small details of Basketball. Although there area couple hints in the first episode that make me think it could have some good character focus that would keep me watching.
Natsu-iro Kiseki: Actually, this should be a definite, but it feels like something is missing. It's sweet and probably has an emotional focus I'd enjoy- but I need to give it a couple weeks.
Saki: Achiga-hen episode of side-A: There was a slight whiff of "poor imitation" from this show and that might doom it- The original is no masterpiece afterall, if it's just a faint shadow of a show that was fun, but not great, it might not be worth watching. We'll see though, It should be safe though. I may also just put it off to the end too.
Sengoku Collection: there's definitely some generic moe stuff going on, and the gender swapped Oda has been done, but she really was adorable, and it seems there's a chance that "adorable" will work quite well enough to keep me watching it. If I had to DL it, I might not bother, but there it is in my CR queue.

Yet to air, but it looks good:
Hyouka

Watched one, that's probably it.
Ginga e Kickoff: If you like soccer, this seems to promise feel good sports action of the type that Knight in the Area completely fails at. But I don't love soccer, and this one is all about kids that love soccer.
Upotte!: The girls are cute, but I don't like guns. So I find literal fetishizeing of assault rifles premise about ten times more offensive than some kid tasting a girl's drool.
Zetman: meh, not my thing. The cliche sinister baddies killed it for me.

Last edited by Spastic Minnow on Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:30 am Reply with quote
Still watching from previous seasons:

Gundam AGE; I do not think that Gundam AGE is a bad series then again I am a Gundam fan so I will watch this to the end.

Will Continue to watch:

Accel World - Seems like it could an interest show to watch. I do like the protagonist since he is different looking than the usual lead.

Hairoe! Nyaruko-san: I know little about love craft but I found the first episode to be funny .

Kids on the Slope: could be the top show of the season if it plays its cards right. Now I have an interest in jazz music as a result of the first episode.

Space Bros: It is a good chance from the shows that are airing this series and I think it has the potential to be a top show of the season.

Upotte!: I do like guns but I find the first episode to be good popcorn entertainment. Simple as that.

Saint Seiya Omega: I enjoy the Saint Seiya franchise so I want to see more of the series.

On the fence about watching more of:

Medaka Box: first episode did nothing for me and the second episode was better, but I am not quite sure if I want to still watch more of it or not just decided to say no more.

Dropped/Stalled:

Mysterious Girlfriend X: I only got halfway through the first episode before I dropped it. The drool aspect was enough for me to drop it. I might go back at a later date to try again.

Acchi Kocchi: I found the first episode to be completely unfunny. Maybe if I hear some stuff about the later episodes I might give it another go.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:10 am Reply with quote
Spring Series Discussion Thread Index: added to front page.
Although, with Tony keeping up the top series thread so wonderfully, this one isn't as needed. In fact, I just stole the links from there this time.

Reread some of my above post and realized some of it didn't actually make much sense. Re-edited some it. It won't win any essay prizes but should read easier now.

Also forgot to mention... although I'm excited for the season, I've actually declared that I'm taking a break from watching any of it now that I've gotten my first impressions done. I am seriously behind on some personal projects that need to be done- but every weekend I end up just vegging at the couch. Not this time. I'll be back when a majority is done-- or my back goes out, which is a distinct possibility.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5