• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Licenses Samurai Pizza Cats/Cats Toninden Teyande

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Lightning Leo wrote:
On a side note, does it irk anyone else to hear people say "nostalgia-goggles"? Admittedly sometimes it's warranted, but it seems as though whenever oldies are discussed this line somehow inevitably gets towed, as though old shows can't possibly be good on their own merits from a contemporary perspective

I think it's less that and more like, "I saw this as a kid when I had no standards and thought everything was the best thing ever," and a realization that once older, everything probably wasn't best thing ever.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Lightning Leo wrote:
On a side note, does it irk anyone else to hear people say "nostalgia-goggles"? Admittedly sometimes it's warranted, but it seems as though whenever oldies are discussed this line somehow inevitably gets towed, as though old shows can't possibly be good on their own merits from a contemporary perspective

I think it's less that and more like, "I saw this as a kid when I had no standards and thought everything was the best thing ever," and a realization that once older, everything probably wasn't best thing ever.

For me, any cartoon from the 1980s!
Kokoroanime

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:16 pm Reply with quote
StudioToledo wrote:
Again, TV stations act like cable operators when it comes to these situations when they can only slot a network feed for a limited time rather than dedicate a whole channel to it. Sounds like you live in a 'small market' if that's the kind of hanky panky that's going on.

We have many subchannels in here. But again, we have the Saturday morning block and a movie shown every Saturday on out MyNetworkTV station. But a station in Central Alabama has the similar thing with ThisTV.

I remember last Christmas period when MeTV aired those good holiday specials at 4am CT until 7am CT before 4 episodes of Green Screen Adventures, but on Christmas Eve, they aired it at night and that's a good timeslot.

Do y'all remember RetroJunk?
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Howabout the english dub of Teknoman/Tekkaman Blade? The english theme song alone is worth it.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Kokoroanime wrote:
StudioToledo wrote:
Again, TV stations act like cable operators when it comes to these situations when they can only slot a network feed for a limited time rather than dedicate a whole channel to it. Sounds like you live in a 'small market' if that's the kind of hanky panky that's going on.

We have many subchannels in here. But again, we have the Saturday morning block and a movie shown every Saturday on out MyNetworkTV station. But a station in Central Alabama has the similar thing with ThisTV.

It could vary. Of course it's been decades since we had a time when local TV would vary from town to town with whatever they could program independently from each other, so you had a choice there on what to watch and what means to see it if you lived close enough to receive distance signals like where I live.
felineki

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:03 pm Reply with quote
FLCLGainax wrote:
I'm wondering how they're going to market the sub version. It might prove beneficial to translate the title, because there doesn't seem to be a consistant way of romanizing it. Is it "Kyatto Ninden Teyandee" or "Cats Toninden Teyande"?

Going by what some of the Japanese model kit boxes say, the official romanization is "Cat Ninden Teyandee". "キャッ党" is pretty much just the English word "cat" rendered in katakana but with the last character replaced with a similarly-pronounced kanji meaning "group". I'd liken it to how the word "samurai" is spelled out "SAM-UR-I" (with the dot above the "I" being an eyeball) in the opening of the dubbed version.

Anyway, I'm a big fan of this show and am definitely psyched for the DVD release. I thought it was never going to happen. The fact that they're actually releasing both versions is like a dream come true.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:06 pm Reply with quote
felineki wrote:
FLCLGainax wrote:
I'm wondering how they're going to market the sub version. It might prove beneficial to translate the title, because there doesn't seem to be a consistant way of romanizing it. Is it "Kyatto Ninden Teyandee" or "Cats Toninden Teyande"?

Going by what some of the Japanese model kit boxes say, the official romanization is "Cat Ninden Teyandee". "キャッ党" is pretty much just the English word "cat" rendered in katakana but with the last character replaced with a similarly-pronounced kanji meaning "group". I'd liken it to how the word "samurai" is spelled out "SAM-UR-I" (with the dot above the "I" being an eyeball) in the opening of the dubbed version.

That's pretty much the way I've known it for years anyway.

The English title was a bit clever that way (kinda make me think of the way Urusei Yatsura's title is spelled out the way it is with the one kanji in the middle).
felineki

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 4:40 am Reply with quote
A Japanese Teyandee DVD release has been announced. It contains all 54 episodes on 9 discs plus a 32-page booklet. It will also have package art by character designer Noritaka Suzuki.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 7:43 am Reply with quote
felineki wrote:
A Japanese Teyandee DVD release has been announced. It contains all 54 episodes on 9 discs plus a 32-page booklet. It will also have package art by character designer Noritaka Suzuki.

Nice to see they're getting something good out of it on their end.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7