• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Netflix Violation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raikuro

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 4:32 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
I have a plasma TV.

There's your real problem.

wandering-dreamer wrote:
Chiming in on the age thing, I'm in college now and have a lot of friends (also college-aged) who are casual anime fans (they love to watch it and will marathon shows but it's not all they watch) but most of the stuff they watch is random, mid-200s properties, ie stuff you can find easily on Netflix. Which makes me wonder if this also has to do with convenience, I've seen some older titles but all of the ones I had to hunt down online (versus finding at a local library) has been a bit of a pain and I can see why people wouldn't want to go to that trouble if they can find something newer online without any trouble and legally.

$0.02

When I was part of an anime club for a little over a year, when picking out DVDs to watch, I would bring in several older OOP shows that still got passed up for series that are newer, readily available and frequently on TV. Probably has more to do with familiarity, and talking about whatever is popular with the social groups(which kinda stems from your point).
TheZeonicFront

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 4:52 pm Reply with quote
What I've always found funny about the divide is that at one point someone realized the thing that makes Harem shows suck is the hapless lead male with a limp dick.

Get rid of that guy and what do you have? Moe!

Same shit different day but most older fans will go out of their minds arguing for Tenchi Muyo and spitting on K-On, when they are both about "Which girl do you think is the cutest???"

For the record I'm 30 and have been into anime since the mid 90s, so I'm not one of the new kids. The fact this article says the jokes in Slayers suck irks me more than a little.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 5:23 pm Reply with quote
TheZeonicFront wrote:

While I agree that removing the male lead is the best thing that ever happend to Bishoujo series, that is NOT what moe means.

Please, don't use the term if you can't at least get into the same ballpark as its generally accepted meaning.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
TheZeonicFront wrote:

While I agree that removing the male lead is the best thing that ever happend to Bishoujo series, that is NOT what moe means.

Please, don't use the term if you can't at least get into the same ballpark as its generally accepted meaning.

...bishoujo series have male leads?? Funny, every shoujo series I've ever read/watched has a female lead. (I say this in regards to your use of this term. There's a different between "a series with bishoujo in it" and "a bishoujo series".) ...but I do agree that the term "moe" was used loosely there.
V1046-R

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Raikuro wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:
I have a plasma TV.

There's your real problem.

More than old vs new anime, maybe the debate should be old vs. new plasma TVs. Laughing

Modern plasma TVs don't have burn in issues like the old ones. Good plasma TVs allow you to select a side bar that isn't black, so even a temporary burn in doesn't occur. At least I can say this about my Panasonic, which I watch shows on in different aspects with no issues.
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Another reason a lot of fans don't watch older show is because of availability. You can watch almost every show this season legally and for free. But I can't find Sailor Moon or other old anime anywhere legally. There's TONS of new shows to try for free. But old shows? Far less to chose from.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 5:45 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if the date I got into anime ('99) is the reason I can enjoy new and old series equally? Anime in Japan was just transitioning from cels to computers, and fansubbers in the US were going from tape to digital. I was able to see a wide range of stuff from different times in short order.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 5:45 pm Reply with quote
The Answerman wrote:
Sure, Cheers is a much better sitcom than Two And A Half Men, but only an insanely small fraction of viewers of the latter are going to be curious enough to seek out the former.

Are you talking about 2.5 Men with Charlie Sheen or 2.5 Men with Ashton? If you're talking about the criminally awful Ashton version, then I agree that Cheers is much better. If you're talking about the Charlie Sheen version, then I regret to inform you that you are incorrect. Wink

Additionally, is your analogy between American TV shows and Anime really apt? I would suspect that it is not. I think we can all agree that there are scores of anime fans who have only seen the "modern" stuff, but I do not think that the assumption can be safely made that there are many fans of 2.5 Men who haven't seen Cheers or older American sitcoms already.

Quote:
What I've always found funny about the divide is that at one point someone realized the thing that makes Harem shows suck is the hapless lead male with a limp dick.

Yes, and then they discovered that the way to fix this was to make the male lead have questionable sexuality, and in the case of shows like Infinite Stratos, have suspicious relationships with his sister and live a life of inverted "gender roles". As an American sitcom of which I'm not a fan used to say, "Not that there's anything wrong with that". It was funny, damn funny, but I could stand to have a harem series where the male lead is undeniably and obviously straight, and not made subservient to his penis-envying sister. I mean, it's all supposed to be about self-projection, that's what the anime pundits tell me, and I don't want to project my straight self onto a potentially gay dude surrounded by a harem of attractive ladies. Just "Saiyan"
Rolling Eyes Cool
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 5:49 pm Reply with quote
SereneChaos wrote:
Another reason a lot of fans don't watch older show is because of availability. You can watch almost every show this season legally and for free. But I can't find Sailor Moon or other old anime anywhere legally. There's TONS of new shows to try for free. But old shows? Far less to chose from.

I agree, but only to a point. Many people do use torrents and older shows do pop up on there too for download. But whether they've heard of them or not or just hate the "old look altogether" is a different story. However, even in torrents it seems hard to find anything old, in between the bazillion Naruto, Fairy Tail, etc subs of the same 10 shows currently airing.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:

...bishoujo series have male leads?? Funny, every shoujo series I've ever read/watched has a female lead. (I say this in regards to your use of this term. There's a different between "a series with bishoujo in it" and "a bishoujo series".) ...but I do agree that the term "moe" was used loosely there.

BIshoujo. BI. BI BI BI.

Not Shoujo. BIshoujo. Not the same thing.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
SereneChaos wrote:

I agree, but only to a point. Many people do use torrents and older shows do pop up on there too for download. But whether they've heard of them or not or just hate the "old look altogether" is a different story. However, even in torrents it seems hard to find anything old, in between the bazillion Naruto, Fairy Tail, etc subs of the same 10 shows currently airing.

They are things that might only have a couple seeds and takes forever to download. There are many older shows where the torrents are pretty much dead since people don't really bother seeding them anymore.

Oh, and [mod edit: some torrent site] doesn't really work so much for older shows either since much of that stuff still has very limited seeding.

Last edited by RyanSaotome on Fri May 11, 2012 5:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 5:55 pm Reply with quote
I only got into anime five years ago, and so I lack the nostalgia toward older shows. And you know what? Older shows are just like newer ones: There are some good ones, and there are lots of bad ones. Let's be honest--the first season of Sailor Moon is utter garbage. But the third is pretty good. Kenshin's Kyoto Arc is the best samurai drama ever made, but the rest isn't that good. Other than the art, CC Sakura is forgettable. Oniisama e and Utena are the two best shoujo series ever made. When Urusei Yatsura is on, it is better than any harem comedy, but it's only on for about a quarter of the show. And you know, Cowboy Bebop really isn't that good.

But the real question is: if you love anime, why would you arbitrarily restrict yourself with a pre-set date? If you love anime, why would deny yourself some really good shows because of age? I mean, right now I'm watching Captain Harlock, and it looks like crap, but it's a pretty good story. What I'm getting at is: please, give old stuff a chance.

Sheleigha wrote:
SereneChaos wrote:

[Do not evade word filters.]
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

BIshoujo. BI. BI BI BI.

Not Shoujo. BIshoujo. Not the same thing.

Sailor Moon's a bishoujo series and even has that in its title Smile

RyanSaotome wrote:

They are things that might only have a couple seeds and takes forever to download. There are many older shows where the torrents are pretty much dead since people don't really bother seeding them anymore.

Oh, and BBT doesn't really work so much for older shows either since much of that stuff is still has very limited seeding.

This is true too. I've seen rare stuff pop up, just to see that it's already inactive within a couple days. Sad, because usually it's an older title impossible to find otherwise

Melanchthon wrote:

[Do not evade word filters.]

I'm talking about the bigger sites and assumingly most popular to the average person that uses it. Trust me, I know other places of where to look for the hard-to-find stuff (although alot of it is luck if people are willing to even sub it...)
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Still wondering why Harmony Gold should get the blame for the lack of new Macross anime. They're not the ones charging an arm and a leg for M7 and Frontier. In fact, as I recall, they let Animeigo sub the original show, when they could've flipped Animeigo off. So if you're going to look for a scapegoat, I'd say it should be Bandai Visual and Big West.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:

Sailor Moon's a bishoujo series and even has that in its title Smile

Yes, Sailor Moon is a Bishoujo series. It is also shoujo.

Again, they aren't the same thing, and may or may not overlap and coexist.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10