• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Deadman Wonderland (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Remember, with spoiler[Shiro/Red Man we are not talking about a simple split personality thing here].

I agree, but let's not forget Ganta is looking for any reason to blame someone at being the Red Man, even if the only evidence is being locked up in an unknown cell block.

So when the biggest clue he's ever had is literally dropped into his lap, he ignores it?

Then again, anytime he's around girls, he really does become clueless, doesn't he.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:40 am Reply with quote
I haven't seen the last episode but I do know what happens in it, more or less, and I can definitely see how there could be a second season. I'm just a bit torn about whether I want there to be, given the mess the first one devolved into. If a second season were made that focused more on the original plotline (questioning why Ganta was brought to prison and the Red Man stuff) then it could be good. But if we end up with more of what happened in ep 6 onwards then I think I'll skip it.
Lil Kis

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:39 pm Reply with quote
When will this show get dubbed and by what publisher? Thanks
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Lil Kis wrote:
When will this show get dubbed and by what publisher? Thanks

Funimation has it, so it will probably get dubbed in 2012.
Metaflux

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Yeah, so I'm pretty much in love with Captain Makina. I love her cruel attitude and mighty G cup boobs of power. The rest of the show is pretty good too, but I'm all about Miss Makina.

But doesn't she remind you of oh what's her face... *cough Olivier Mira Armstrong *cough from Fullmetal Alchemist?
Metaflux

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
Not sure what to think of this one at the moment. The introduction of the episode looked rushed with what led up to Ganta's arrest to the twisted theme park and a bit of the cruelty the kid goes through seems forced. It's like the series wasn't sure how to put Ganta into Deadman Wonderland. So they tossed a small bone and ran with it, despite how contrived it seems. I'm all for grittiness and intense violence in a series like Black Lagoon. But you need to have meat to go along with it or else I won't be chewing on it for long. I'll give this a few episodes to see if it will be worth my time.

Thought the exact thing when I started the series, but just watched it through and turns out to be pretty good for its style and genre. I personally like it. I think it's an Anime that's just taking the plot to an interesting and engaging level; not meant to be too realistic but enough to make the scenario intriguing.
Key

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 12:22 am Reply with quote
I am bumping this thread for the benefit of those who are watching it for the first time on its Toonami broadcast.

And for those who saw it when it was first streamed on Crunchyroll: wow, is it just me, or was the picture quality and colors a whole bunch sharper and richer on the Toonami broadcast? I thought it was visually impressive the first time around, but that looked gorgeous on TV. This time around they also didn't darken out the classroom aftermath scene, either, so one could get a much more complete sense of the carnage.

This broadcast also reminded me of why, though I like the series as a whole, I absolutely despise the way Ganta gets railroaded in this episode. Otherwise it's a strong first episode for attracting attention: looks great, lots of bloody violence, a sexy albino girl, a sexy but cruel female warden, and a generally harsh edge. The dub seems fitting so far, too; even included some bleeped dialogue.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gtqt

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 1:46 am Reply with quote
Funimation always seems to take a lot of liberties with their dubs in terms of the dialog, I guess it's just them trying to Americanize the show so it gets better ratings. But really, the guy who plays Ganta voice is so grating. I have no idea why Funimation still hiring him.

I just hope this makes enough hype to convince the author to keep writing while she's pregnant. The story is almost finished in the manga and I get the feeling they'll do a second season once the manga is done. The story only gets better from the end of the anime on out.

Honestly how dare she get preggers near the end of a story, why not wait an extra few months before getting knocked up?
Rukiia

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 9:48 am Reply with quote
gtqt wrote:
Honestly how dare she get preggers near the end of a story, why not wait an extra few months before getting knocked up?

Because the author just happens to have a life outside of her work? Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 9:51 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

And for those who saw it when it was first streamed on Crunchyroll: wow, is it just me, or was the picture quality and colors a whole bunch sharper and richer on the Toonami broadcast? I thought it was visually impressive the first time around, but that looked gorgeous on TV. This time around they also didn't darken out the classroom aftermath scene, either, so one could get a much more complete sense of the carnage.

I'm sure it was just my TV, but that entire scene looked almost pure black to me. I could barely see anything. The rest of the show looked good, it was just that scene. I can't wait to see the opening on TV. It looked great on my Nook, so I can't wait to see what it's like on TV.
Key

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 10:04 am Reply with quote
SereneChaos wrote:
I'm sure it was just my TV, but that entire scene looked almost pure black to me. I could barely see anything. The rest of the show looked good, it was just that scene. I can't wait to see the opening on TV. It looked great on my Nook, so I can't wait to see what it's like on TV.

Probably just your TV, then, or maybe your channel? I was watching it on a Cartoon Network HD channel.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 11:40 am Reply with quote
I'm actually not sure I would want to see the uncensored version of some of what happens in this show because the limited bits we saw were honestly gruesome enough. Not that I get the Cartoon Network anyway, of course.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 1:01 pm Reply with quote
If you thought the first episode was brutal....you 'ain't seen nothing yet. Smile
jugemxjugem

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
If you thought the first episode was brutal....you 'ain't seen nothing yet. Smile

ohhh you so haven't seen anything yet
its still not ''that'' brutal
Kelly

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Well that was...seriously messed up.

I have to laugh a bit at the language censoring considering some of the visuals that they didn't censor. If that much bleeping is going to be routine it's going to get irritating and distracting very quickly and in my opinion is going to beg the question of why CN wanted it if it's going to have to be that heavily censored. The dub cast seems like it's going to be quite good, although I get the feeling this is going to be one of those shows where we're not going to be quite sure which characters we should start to like or trust (presumably aside from Ganta).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 11