• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Motto To Love Ru -Trouble- Sub.DVD

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:22 pm Reply with quote
I've always hated the principal too, he comes off as a leftover from 80s manga where you'd typically see his ridiculous caricature appear. I think Motto TLR was influenced by the start of TLR: Darkness around the same time, which significantly ramps up the nudity. As the title suggests, this series just more of the show, but I think when the anime for Darkness comes around, fanservice and actual development of Rito's harem should be off the charts. Actually acknowledging in story that a useless male has a harem in the first place, and then working to grow and solidify it as a main plot point must be a first for these kinds of stories.

I did like the color palette and designs this time around, they felt less anime-redesigned than the first season.

As for missing that OVA, the situation reminds me of the Queen's Blade Beautiful Fighters OVAs which are also important in bridging the gap between the second series and Rebellion. Characters grow apart, characters meet up with others, and the groundwork for the underlying problems in QBR are laid down. Sentai needs to grab that and the pre-airing OVAs which came out just recently, perhaps selling them in a single box.
Banden

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:32 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
As for missing that OVA, the situation reminds me of the Queen's Blade Beautiful Fighters OVAs which are also important in bridging the gap between the second series and Rebellion. Characters grow apart, characters meet up with others, and the groundwork for the underlying problems in QBR are laid down. Sentai needs to grab that and the pre-airing OVAs which came out just recently, perhaps selling them in a single box.

I'm still waiting patiently for Sentai to release You're Under Arrest: No Mercy... They don't seem to be in any hurry. They're already done two releases each of the 2001 series (the one Animeigo didn't have) and Full Throttle, and still haven't gone back and filled in the gap. Confused
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
− The principal, Rito's girl-shy behavior gets increasingly annoying.

I can't argue with that in this review Laughing

Well, overall I sort of enjoyed the series although the original Love-Ru was more to my appeal. I'm curious how To-Love Darkness will pull it off soon as I'll watch the OVA first. Hopefully, it'll give a good impression.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:

Well, overall I sort of enjoyed the series although the original Love-Ru was more to my appeal. I'm curious how To-Love Darkness will pull it off soon as I'll watch the OVA first. Hopefully, it'll give a good impression.

Not only does it have more toplessness and Rito going face first into some crotch, but Yabuki sneaks bare vag shots here and there as Easter eggs, like a reflection in Rito's eye. It feels like he's trying to push that envelope as far as it'll go, and I dearly hope the anime version can match up. Although Xebec's Atsushi Ootsuki has shown himself to be quite competent in delivering that ecchi material as of late: Kanokon OVA, Ladies Vs. Butlers, Motto TLR, and upcoming Darkness.
notazaku

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:49 pm Reply with quote
I really liked the episode format with each episode being divided into 3 parts. I agree with Theron that it made the stories a lot more digestible. If they went any longer I'd probably have to keep checking the time to see when they would end. Fortunately the series found the right balance. It was pretty fun overall.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Guess I'll have to watch those OVAs before these show up on The Anime Network soon. The first series was fun enough, so I'm looking forward to seeing the sequel, but I don't want to miss a bunch of character intros. The new characters would just feel out of place for me.
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Incoming negative review on Shelf Life~
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 8:00 am Reply with quote
I watched the original To Love Ru and liked it, so I'll pick this up at some point (also, I wish the manga would be licensed xD).
Northlander

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 8:12 am Reply with quote
I watched the original To Love-Ru and found it really goddamned stupid. (And not the right kind of stupid either.) Motto is basically the original TV series with the wrong stupid taken out and the right stupid put in. (Well... mostly.)
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 10:40 am Reply with quote
Don't give people too much hope that the OVA series actually explains everything.

While the plant girl is in the OVA, it doesn't really explain her.
The OVA doesn't even touch on the reason the ghost girl now has a body.
IIRC the new series mentions Rito and Mikan's parents as if we should know what they're talking about, but we never got that story from the previous series or the OVA series.

I guess they know what sells... and it ain't story.

I fully expect Darkness to jump in without actually showing the resolution of the original To-Love-Ru story.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:20 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Don't give people too much hope that the OVA series actually explains everything.

While the plant girl is in the OVA, it doesn't really explain her.
The OVA doesn't even touch on the reason the ghost girl now has a body.
IIRC the new series mentions Rito and Mikan's parents as if we should know what they're talking about, but we never got that story from the previous series or the OVA series.

I guess they know what sells... and it ain't story.

I fully expect Darkness to jump in without actually showing the resolution of the original To-Love-Ru story.

yes most to love ru fans are more than aware of this but what can you do?? I will take what I can get at this point to be honest with you... but that's just me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:48 am Reply with quote
I'm still waiting for them to make a show focused on Yami and Mikan.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

wait for the ova of darkness to come out this summer then, it will have that "speical mikan chapter in it from the manga" and well ahem
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:

wait for the ova of darkness to come out this summer then, it will have that "speical mikan chapter in it from the manga" and well ahem

*sigh*

No, you are missing my point. I want a Rito-free Yami/Mikan story.

I can't [expletive] stand Rito. I can't stand him in the original manga, the TV series, the OVAs, or Darkness. He's everything thats [expletive] wrong with this genre.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Quote:
− The principal, Rito's girl-shy behavior gets increasingly annoying.

Well,from the sounds of this review,i would have enjoyed it a lot since i'm a die hard ecchi/fanservice junkie.

Too bad it's an sub only release. Guess will have to skip this and stick to the Ikkitousen,Girls Bravo & Queens Blade releases since those releases also HAVE eng dubs included.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3