• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Puella Magi Madoka Magica Vol. 3 Blu-ray

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amagee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:04 am Reply with quote
dandelion_rose wrote:
swienke wrote:
EDIT: Whoops, amagee beat me to it. Dang, this thread moves fast.

I know. It's almost as if there's something new with every refresh.

And just so that my comment is not a one liner:

Since no one else mentioned it -- not even Zac -- one of the things I really like about Puella Magi Madoka Magica is the presence of technology in it. You can see it so much in the background; the whiteboards the students use, the buttons Sayaka presses to go into a lift, the windmills in the background when Sayaka and Madoka are talking to each other, the huge modern houses. I don't know how true to life the background of technology is, but I really like it; it's a fresh appearance from the small homes with sliding doors that we've gotten used to in anime.

In fast threads, I don't even worry about accidentally saying something again if it was written while I was writing.

The technology was always really interesting. I think it gave it a more full depth. It was a believable yet cool world in which to experience this impeccable story.

Complete aside: why is it that when I'm at conventions and I enter panels which are supposed to discuss anime, I never get anything even remotely close to this?
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:10 am Reply with quote
amagee wrote:
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
From what I recall, Kyuubey at one point in the show statedspoiler[ that his people came up with the system itself because it was the most efficient way to gather energy. So, if they found another way to gather energy which was even more efficient and also involved some kind of human sacrifice, they could (and given their complete lack of emotion or sympathy, would) do it immediately. Remember, when the girl makes the contract, Kyuubey then pulls her soul out of her body and puts it in the gem. He then grants the wish. He is not just a vessel through which the "magic" happens. He is the one in control of the whole process.] There is every indication that given the control his people have over the process, they could change it if they wanted to.

Then why did he let Madoka change the entire universe even though it would hurt his race's ability to counteract entropy in the universe?

Because he made the contract with her and he didn't know what her wish was going to be before she made it. When I talk about "control" i'm just speaking about it in the context of Kyuubey's people making a new system of contracting, its not a commentary on whether or not they could refuse to carry out a contract they already made. As far as we know, when it comes to the current process they created, once the contract is "signed" he has to grant the wish. That has no bearing on his ability to create a new type of magical girl with new type of contract though.

P.S. going to sleep now. Maybe will comment more on my alternate ending concept later.

Last edited by ChibiKangaroo on Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:32 am; edited 2 times in total
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:11 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
When I talk about "control" i'm just speaking about it in the context of Kyuubey's people making a new system of contracting

That has no bearing on his ability to create a new type of magical girl with new type of contract though.

But you can't just postulate that as an objection to the ending! There is precisely ZERO evidence that they can do such a thing.
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:12 am Reply with quote
amagee wrote:
In fast threads, I don't even worry about accidentally saying something again if it was written while I was writing.

The technology was always really interesting. I think it gave it a more full depth. It was a believable yet cool world in which to experience this impeccable story.

I don't know if it gave it depth, but to me it really contributed to the aesthetics. Anyone interested in how technology may be applied in the very near future would be really excited to see it made use of in Puella Magi Madoka Magica.

Edit: the scenes where they make use of the whiteboard and slide it around are some of favourite scenes.

Last edited by dandelion_rose on Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:13 am; edited 1 time in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:13 am Reply with quote
Kazemon15 wrote:
If she really wanted to spoiler[be the embodiment of hope, she should have found the power within herself without asking for Kyubey's help and then used that power to return the magical girls who use soul gems back to their original state (within their bodies) and then the problem would be solved. If she's as powerful as Kyubey says she is, then she could have found a way to do this on her own. Instead, she just relied on the person who started the entire mess to begin with, which, IMO, gives Kyubey the "last laugh" anyway, no matter what she wished for.]

I feel sorry for you. You don't realise how awful this sounds. PMMM is not Digimon Season 1 where spoiler[the kids realise that the Crests were inside of them all along.] PMMM actually sets up a world with rules and then sets up an ecosystem living in that world and obeying those rules. If Madoka could have just thought reeeeeeeeeeally hard and fixed everything herself, that would have been the sort of crappy ending that we see too often in Anime. It would also have shat over everything that the show had painstakingly set up over eleven fantastic episodes.

Kazemon15 wrote:
Another thing I don't get is...how did witches come to be in the first place? spoiler[I know in order to become a witch, one must become a magical girl. To become a magical girl, one must make a wish in exchange. So going by that, why would the very "first" girls become magical girls in the first place? There's no witches to fight, no need to have the powers to defeat the "evil witches" which only magical girls can defeat....where's the explanation for that? I highly doubt that the first girls would become magical girls just to get their wishes granted and be in an ever lasting contract back in the old days.

Now if Kyubey had planted some evil on the planet that only magical girls could defeat, then it would make sense on how the cycle started...but the overall concept of just "wanting their wishes granted, in exchange, becoming a magical girl" is a bit weak.]

I'd ask if you were kidding but I already know you aren't.

Did you watch the show? As in, did you really watch episode twelve, where we find out that spoiler[even if there are no Witches there are still beings that feed on and release despair? Why do they exist? Maybe, in a universe where emotion is power, despair shoaled up until it formed a solid mass, and then propagated. Maybe it is no different to matter clumping together under their own gravity.] Who knows. It doesn't trip the writing up.

I actually hypothesise that once upon a time there were no Witches. Then spoiler[a girl made a wish which either deliberately or (more likely) inadvertently erased the previous monsters. However the Laws of (the new) Reality had to have a monster, it was a niche that needed filling, and so Witches were now possible. I don't think Witches were an Incubator-made thing.]

Kazemon15 wrote:
I also found Sayaka's character overall weak too. She continues to whine and cry about spoiler[how she isn't human anymore even though she can laugh, feel, eat, sleep and do everything she can normally do before she made a contract and then went into a pitty pot without even trying to talk to the guy she liked. She just gave up, even though she had friends who supported her.]

This really deserved to be mentioned in the thread for Volume 2 you know.

Sayaka's spoiler[breakdown originally bothered me too, but then I remembered her age. She's a teenage girl, she's not logical. In fact, all of the girls reacted with the same horror, and Kyubey mentions that all virtually all girls react the same way, which is why he doesn't tell them. The show plays this up, contrasting Kyubey's reasoning against the reactions of the now-terrified girls, and then him getting exasperated at how it is always the same. Mami even went insane and killed Kyouko because of it in one of the timelines.]

In Sayaka's case, spoiler[she breaks down the most this time because she believes that she cannot love now that she is a "zombie". And even though that's not true, she doesn't have to be logical. In fact, it is part of her character that she is not logical but instead follows her heart. I thought that this breakdown was believable, and showed that even though they have super powers these are still young girls who lack proper perspective on things. Sayaka believed it to be true even though it wasn't, and that was enough to cause the breakdown.] When you're freaking out and everyone else is also freaking out so they can't help you, it can be a nasty downward spiral.

Last edited by dtm42 on Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:15 am; edited 1 time in total
amagee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:14 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

Because he made the contract with her and he didn't know what her wish was going to be before she made it. When I talk about "control" i'm just speaking about it in the context of Kyuubey's people making a new system of contracting, its not a commentary on whether or not they could refuse to carry out a contract they already made. As far as we know, when it comes to the current process they created, once the contract is "signed" he has to grant the wish. That has no bearing on his ability to create a new type of magical girl with new type of contract though.

P.S. going to sleep now. Maybe will comment more on my alternate ending concept later.

Just watched the last bit. She says her wish and then makes Kyubey grant it. If he controlled these things, he could've refused.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:23 am Reply with quote
amagee wrote:

Just watched the last bit. She says her wish and then makes Kyubey grant it. If he controlled these things, he could've refused.

To precisely quote:

spoiler["I...want to erase all witches before they are born. In every universe... The past and the future, every single witch, with this hand... "

"That wish is... If that wish were to be granted, it wouldn't be on the level of something like time interference! It's committing treason against the law of cause and effect itself! Do you truly intend to become a god?"

"God or anything else is okay. Everyone who has fought witches up until today... The magical girls with hope and trust... I won't let them cry. I want them to keep smiling until the end. As for any rules which are a hindrance to that, I'll break them. I'll alter them. This is my prayer. My wish. Now, grant it! Incubator!"]

Last edited by Fencedude5609 on Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:43 am Reply with quote
You know, unless they specifically show more of Incubator's world and precisely how witches work, etc etc, there's no way of knowing absolutely sure either way.

No matter how good the hypothesis and speculation, they will remain hypothesis and speculation.

There's really very few truly 'stupid' speculation. As the show purposely doesn't always have iron clad explanations for everything. That's the whole fun of it, the mystery and the way a lot of events in the show has many equally valid ways to view characters' motivations and what is the precise nature of the powers in the story.

Like in any good magical girl show, most of the actual magic and universe is still a mystery.

Also, there's no real way to say who and who is a god or had god like powers or not. Madoka wielding immense power doesn't automatically make her into a deity necessarily. Just one akin to one.
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:52 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
In Sayaka's case, she breaks down the most this time because she believes that she cannot love now that she is a "zombie". And even though that's not true, she doesn't have to be logical. In fact, it is part of her character that she is not logical but instead follows her heart. I thought that this breakdown was believable, and showed that even though they have super powers these are still young girls who lack proper perspective on things. Sayaka believed it to be true even though it wasn't, and that was enough to cause the breakdown. When you're freaking out and everyone else is also freaking out so they can't help you, it can be a nasty downward spiral.

I don't think it's illogical at all on Sayaka's part. She was 100% right in that whatever she is now, she was essentially no longer really human. And she obviously values that as she definitely should.

Plus, the very act of being a magical girl is shown to be akin to soldiers going to a battlefield. Just the stress of holding peoples' lives whether by saving or killing them, the stress of fighting alone, these things has been known to break down real life soldiers who may see far less actual fighting than the girls in magical girl shows tends to do.

As for people thinking the ending is 100% pretty and clear cut, I don't really agree with that. The way she obtained her powers and the way it all happened is just pure suffering, through and through. I can't name too many anime where a character essentially died and suffered countless lifetimes worth of emotional and physical damage to get to that point. For what it's worth, the ending was well deserved. But even then, it was not a perfect victory at all.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:07 am Reply with quote
Shippoyasha wrote:

I don't think it's illogical at all on Sayaka's part. She was 100% right in that whatever she is now, she was essentially no longer really human. And she obviously values that as she definitely should.

The PSP game has an event, where if you don't recover Sayaka's Soul Gem fast enough after the "Madoka tosses it off the bridge" event,spoiler[ Sayaka's body starts to decompose. When her Soul Gem is returned, she's unaware of the condition of her body, and she goes to see Kyousuke.]

...it does not end well.

Sayaka's fears are not entirely unfounded.

Last edited by Fencedude5609 on Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:09 am Reply with quote
SPOILER NOTICE!

I was working on something else all evening so I wasn't paying attention when this threat first started. That means we've had now 16 pages of what basically amounts to a "let's ignore the existence of spoiler tags" free-for-all. Apparently some of you seem to think that, just because Zac dealt with some spoilers in the review, you don't have to use spoiler tags at all in the response thread.

That is most definitely NOT the case.

I will (barely) tolerate untagged spoilers about things that Zac specifically brought up in the review, but talking about anything else in the last four episodes that he didn't very specifically mention requires a spoiler tag. So far I've gone through the first three pages and added them in where needed and I'll gradually work my way forward through the thread over the course of the day on Thursday. (Unless some other Mod steps in and helps out with the process. . .)

Needless to say, this is a lot of work and a major pain in the butt, so I'm putting out this ultimatum: any further posts, after this one, which do not appropriately use spoiler tags will be removed rather than edited for tags.

I'll comment on these last four episodes myself once I've had a chance to get my copy in the mail and rewatch them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:10 am Reply with quote
You complain about the dub then still give an A+ ...what?

Anyway, it IS a great series and the review is mostly well done other than what I just pointed out. The dub is pretty terrible and doesnt do the characters any justice. The Japanese audio is just top tier and unmatchable.

The show is amazing, HOWEVER..that doesn't change the fact that Aniplex is insane for charging anything higher than 20 dollars for 4 episodes. INSANE. Biggest rip-offs in the American anime market.

I personally cannot wait for the movies to expand on the story. The first movie might even go into better details about some things and make the franchise even more enjoyable.[/quote]
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:11 am Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

That's an interesting point. I don't know if I interpreted this as sexist though. If I thought they'd come up with the whole entropy premise first and then decided it should only be girls then I would see that as a sexist implication. However, it seems pretty apparent to me that this project started, at the most basic level, as a magical girl show. Hence, it only being girls seems like a more of a leftover from that than anything else.

I always figured the answer was "because". I don't think the Incubators know, or even really care, why only pubescent females can serve this role, thats just the way it is.

Kyubey says something along the lines of "female humans in their second stage of development exhibit the most / a great deal of emotional energy" ... or something like that. So pubescent girls = emotional roller coasters. I guess you could say it's sexist or ageist, but it's probably true.

I mean, I remember when crying over magazine photos of Leonardo DiCaprio when I was 12 or 13 because I would never meet and marry him ... after speaking with many female friends about their early teen days, this experience was not an aberration.

Also, there's a historical reasoning for this. In that for various Wiccan/Witchcraft practices and theories in real life, there is a belief (or a science) in that young women holds the most magical potential out of any human type.

Maybe it wouldn't make sense for Kyubee to just drop in that line in the middle of nowhere.

Also, it doesn't really matter does it? So young girls are powerful. That's the reality to Kyubee. Like he says, there's no emotion involved in that. It's just how it is.

Last edited by Shippoyasha on Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:14 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
SPOILER NOTICE!

I was working on something else all evening so I wasn't paying attention when this threat first started. That means we've had now 16 pages of what basically amounts to a "let's ignore the existence of spoiler tags" free-for-all. Apparently some of you seem to think that, just because Zac dealt with some spoilers in the review, you don't have to use spoiler tags at all in the response thread.

Christ. Sorry. I completely forgot. I'll try to tag my posts, but jeez. This thread.

Edit: All my posts should be adequately tagged now.

Last edited by Fencedude5609 on Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:23 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Shippoyasha wrote:

The PSP game has an event, where if you don't recover Sayaka's Soul Gem fast enough after the "Madoka tosses it off the bridge" event,spoiler[ Sayaka's body starts to decompose. When her Soul Gem is returned, she's unaware of the condition of her body, and she goes to see Kyousuke.]

...it does not end well.

Sayaka's fears are not entirely unfounded.

Very true. If anything, the game and the spinoff manga just paint an ever grimmer picture of it all.

If they do some kind of a spinoff anime series with Oriko Magica, I can only imagine the kinds of dark places and delving into entropy ideas.

Ironically, it just makes Madoka's heroism all that more impressive. Though it'd be nice to see more heroism shine through. spoiler[Maybe in a spinoff, Sayaka and Mami can be heroes rather than victims more like.] Though funny enough, the spinoff will probably be a lighthearted comedy according to SHAFT.

Kougeru wrote:
You complain about the dub then still give an A+ ...what?

Anyway, it IS a great series and the review is mostly well done other than what I just pointed out. The dub is pretty terrible and doesnt do the characters any justice. The Japanese audio is just top tier and unmatchable.

The show is amazing, HOWEVER..that doesn't change the fact that Aniplex is insane for charging anything higher than 20 dollars for 4 episodes. INSANE. Biggest rip-offs in the American anime market.

I personally cannot wait for the movies to expand on the story. The first movie might even go into better details about some things and make the franchise even more enjoyable.

While Dub isn't flat out amazing, I do think it's more than serviceable. I agree the Japanese dubbing is top notch, but I can't complain too much about the English dub. If they ever show this on Cartoon Network or whatever anime syndication they want, the dubbing is perfectly good. But yeah, there's some more outstanding dubs out there that I could rate an actual A+, but I don't think it's that big a deal. Especially for fans who won't be watching in English anyway.

As for the price, at least it's doubly-cheaper than the Japanese pricing. The way Aniplex will charge for Fate Zero at $330 is absolutely mindblowing.

However, I just got myself the normal Bluray editions at about $44 each. For one of the best shows I've watched, I would say it was worth it but I understand the complaints. If it was a middling show for me, I would think $44 for 4 episodes would have been insane.

Aniplex better shoot the prices down or they won't have a repeat customer in me (I just hope the Madoka movies on Bluray won't be something insane in pricing. I can only hope). Aniplex ought to follow Funimation's very solid pricing schemes of 12 episodes at about $50 episodes (or way cheaper in Amazon).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 31