• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What Are You Considering Buying?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Thank you, poonk. Your reference to vendor Aikoudou helped me locate a 1/7 PVC Kara no Kyokai: Ryogi Shiki Garannoudo for much less "investment capital" (my words) aka "hobby expense waste of money" (my wife's reinterpretation of my words) than Plamoya, The amount saved was almost 10 700 Yen. Kudos. Bravo!

Now if I can only locate Nisemonogatari figurine Tsukihi Araragi made by Banpresto (Ichiban Kuji lottery premium) B for less than a house payment. I've located 2 a week ago but didn't act early enough to buy either one reasonably.

I did buy a figurine from Tokyo Otaku Club a few days ago. It arrived in excellent condition. They also answer emails quickly. Paypal can be used.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure if I want Alters Ohana figure or not. I liked the anime and all and want to buy it, just not sure if I want any figures from it
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
I'm not sure if I want Alters Ohana figure or not. I liked the anime and all and want to buy it, just not sure if I want any figures from it

I'm in the same boat, Sailor S. I liked the series. I even like the figurine. But to order this means 1 whale of a bill around Christmas from other figurines that represent other series I also like. Collectors' dilemma: do we own our habits or do our habits own us?
Sailor S

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:04 am Reply with quote
bemused Bohemian wrote:
Sailor S wrote:

I'm in the same boat, Sailor S. I liked the series. I even like the figurine. But to order this means 1 whale of a bill around Christmas from other figurines that represent other series I also like. Collectors' dilemma: do we own our habits or do our habits own us?

Yeah, you know what, I'll let the wheels of date decide. I think I'll wait until she's released, and then if AmiAmi has her in stock, I'll see how my finances look at that point
poonk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:12 pm Reply with quote
bemused Bohemian wrote:
Thank you, poonk. Your reference to vendor Aikoudou helped me locate a 1/7 PVC Kara no Kyokai: Ryogi Shiki Garannoudo for much less "investment capital" (my words) aka "hobby expense waste of money" (my wife's reinterpretation of my words) than Plamoya, The amount saved was almost 10 700 Yen. Kudos. Bravo!
Awesome! Yeah, Plamoya is my site of last resort (and as such I've never used them). I've noticed that they really jack up the price once something's not widely available anymore. Not by a little but by a LOT (though the Otoishi Akira & RHCP Statue Legends set is cool, it is not $137 cool. Seriously, at AmiAmi I paid $70 at preorder.)

Quote:
Now if I can only locate Nisemonogatari figurine Tsukihi Araragi made by Banpresto (Ichiban Kuji lottery premium) B for less than a house payment. I've located 2 a week ago but didn't act early enough to buy either one reasonably.
Yeah, good luck. I've been lusting after some JoJo's, Taibani, and Natsume Yuujinchou Ichiban Kuji lottery prize figures myself. (I just wanna say, it's incredibly frustrating that they would do this with Natsume especially since that series hardly gets any figures besides Nyanko-sensei.)

As for me, I may be in the market for a region free DVD player. Despite fan solicitation it seems like YA Entertainment may not be able to get Queen In Hyun's Man (which is the best K-drama I've ever seen, btw) so I'm considering importing the upcoming Korean DVDs if they have English subtitles. To this end it's time I consider getting an appropriate player (this is actually more important to me than getting a BluRay player for the BDs I already own & can't watch Laughing). I don't suppose this is something I can just pick up at my local Best Buy, so does any one have any recommendations (or tips on brands/sites to avoid)? I figured there must be at least a few people here who import movies & TV series that aren't BluRay, right?

(Yes, I know there's a way to do it on my computer but I sure don't know how. I was hoping to keep it simple.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:46 am Reply with quote
Well, I want to buy the Lupin Season 1 release, but I need to wait to see if I still have a house to deliver it to. No, I should be plenty safe from the Waldo Canyon Fire, but it doesn't feel right to tie up the mail system with anime dvds when there are people losing their homes. I'll be waiting a couple weeks before any more purchases.
teknokrat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:12 pm Reply with quote
^^^Melanchthon, now you are making me feel guilty for all the orders I currently have in transit.

I'm in Castle Pines North, so I'm safe for now, but smell the smoke every morning when I wake up. Several people in my office are threatened or have been evacuated however. Starting to get nervous now that the fire is threatening the southern border of Douglas County however.

Need to pick up the Lupin set myself sometime though.
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Hey, folks, guess what time it is? That's right! It's time to put your little mouse scroller to work just to get past my entries! Bumping this baby forward again!

Priority of Purchases for 2012 wrote:
  • Dennou Coil (Siren Visual)
  • Flag (Bandai)
  • His and Her Circumstances (Nozomi)
  • Kimi ni Todoke (NISA)
  • Martian Successor Nadesico (Nozomi)
  • Penguin Drum (Sentai)
  • Steins;Gate (FUNi)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ANIME PURCHASES LIST:

Notes: (Purchased) (May get to if time and money allow)

Anime Eigo:
(Yawara!)
(Kimagure Orange Road)

------

Aniplex of America:
(Puella Magi Madoka Magica LE)
(Baccano!, Durarara!!, Gurren Lagann movie 1, Gurren Lagann movie 2, Rurouni Kenshin: Trust and Betrayal)

------

Bandai Entertainment:
1. Flag - vol. 1, 3, 4
2. Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya
3. Toward the Terra
4. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

(Banner of the Stars, Banner of the Stars II, The Big O, The Big O II, Crest of the Stars, Cowboy Bebop, Escaflowne, Fantastic Children, Flag (vol. 2), The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Gurren Lagann, Infinite Ryvius, Outlaw Star, Planetes, Scrapped Princess)
(.hack//sign, 5cm/Sec, Argento Soma, Eureka 7, G Gundam, Gundam 08th MS Team, Gundam Char's Counterattack, Gundam Zeta, Hayate the Combat Butler, Junkers Come Here, My-Hime, My-Otome, Ronin Warriors, Silent Mobius, Wolf's Rain)

------

Bandai Visual USA:
(Patlabor: The Movie, Patlabor 2: The Movie)
(Gunbuster, Royal Space Force: Wings of Honneamise)

------

Buena Vista (Disney):
1. Nausicaa: Valley of the Wind (BD)
2. Porco Rosso
3. My Neighbor Totoro

(Castle in the Sky, Kiki's Delivery Service, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Whisper of the Heart)
(Whisper of the Heart (BD))

------

Central Park Media (U.S. Manga Corps branch):
1. Descendants of Darkness

(Grave of the Fireflies, Now and Then Here and There, Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight, They Were 11)
(Garzey's Wing, Patlabor, Votoms)

------

Discotek Media:
1. Galaxy Express 999
2. Adieu Galaxy Express 999

(DNAngel, Lupin the 3rd, Mad Bull 34, Samurai Pizza Cats, Shin Getter Robo vs. Neo Getter Robo, Sea Prince and the Fire Child)

------

FUNimation:
Series:
1. Steins;Gate - part 2 (PREORDER)
2. Kaleido Star: New Wings
3. Ouran High School Host Club (BD)
4. Oh! Edo Rocket
5. Kurau: Phantom Memory
6. Hellsing / Hellsing Ultimate
7. Serial Experiments Lain
8. Romeo x Juliet
9. One Piece

Movies:
1. Eden of the East movies (BD)
2. Evangelion movies (BD)

(Baccano!, Birdy the Mighty: Decode, Eden of the East (BD), Fruits Basket, Full Metal Alchemist, Full Metal Panic! TSR (BD), Haibane Renmei, Kaleido Star, Princess Jellyfish, Shiki, Slayers, Spice & Wolf S1, Spice & Wolf S2, Soul Eater (BD), Steins;Gate (part 1), Summer Wars (BD))
(B Gata H Kei, Basilisk, Blood-C, [C] - Control, Claymore, Darker Than Black, Desert Punk, El Cazador de la Bruja, FLCL, Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood (BD), Full Metal Panic! S1 (BD), Ghost Hunt, Gungrave, Level E, Lupin III: Fujiko Mine, Michiko and Hatchin, Noir, Pretear, Rin: Daughters of Mnemosyne (BD), Sgt. Frog, Tower of Druaga, Trigun, Utawarerumono, X TV Series, Yu Yu Hakusho (BD))

FUNimation/Geneon USA Agreement:
(Black Lagoon, Magical Lyrical Girl Nanoha, Magical Lyrical Girl Nanoha A's, Story of Saiunkoku, When They Cry)

------

Geneon USA (formerly Pioneer Entertainment):

FUNimation/Geneon USA Agreement (see above)

Geneon/Pioneer (pre-collapse):
1. Requiem from the Darkness

(3x3 Eyes, Cardcaptor Sakura Movie 2: The Sealed Card, Last Exile, Paranoia Agent)
(Ayakashi: Samurai Horror Tales, Koi Kaze, Rumiko Takahashi: Anthology, Zipang)

------

[AU] Madman Entertainment:
1. Cardcaptor Sakura

(Ocean Waves, Only Yesterday, Patlabor OVA & TV)

------

Manga Entertainment:
1. Redline (BD)
2. Ghost in the Shell: SAC 2nd GIG
3. Dead Leaves

(Dante's Inferno, Ghost in the Shell, Ghost in the Shell: SAC, Noein)

------

Media Blasters:
1. Shamanic Princess
2. Fushigi Yugi
3. Otogi Zoshi
4. Shinesman
5. Phoenix
6. Iria: Zeiram the Animation

(GaoGaiGar, Figure 17, Magic Knight Rayearth S1, Magic Knight Rayearth S2, Moribito, Rurouni Kenshin, Simoun, Strawberry Panic, Tweeny Witches, The Twelve Kingdoms)
(Blade of the Immortal, Genshiken, Giant Robo, Gokusen, Kashimashi, Magic User's Club, Mazinkaiser SKL, Moribito (BD), Squid Girl, Twelve Kingdoms (BD))

------

NISA:
1. Kimi ni Todoke - S1 part 2, S2
2. Toradora!

(Anohana, Bunny Drop, Katanagatari, Kimi ni Todoke S1 (part 1), Natsume Yuujinchou)
(House of Five Leaves, Zakuro)

------

Nozomi:
1. THE ROSE OF VERSAILLES Exclamation Anime smile
2. Martian Successor Nadesico
3. His and Her Circumstances
4. Shingu
5. Aoi Hana
6. Boogiepop Phantom
7. Sound of the Sky
8. Aria

(Emma: A Victorian Romance, Emma: A Victorian Romance 2nd Act, Revolutionary Girl Utena, The Third)
(Dirty Pair, Maria Watches Over Us, Piano)

------

Section 23 / Sentai Filmworks (Previously A.D. Vision):

ADV Films (when company was still active):
(Full Metal Panic!)

Section 23:
1. Ghost Stories - Vol. 5
2. Neon Genesis Evangelion
3. RahXephon
4. Blue Seed
5. Nadia, Secret of Blue Water

(Angelic Layer, Five Star Stories, Ghost Stories (Vol. 1-4), Kino's Journey, Le Chevalier de Eon)

Sentai Filmworks:
1. Penguin Drum (BD) - Part 1 (PREORDER)
2. Space Brothers
3. Another
4. Kids on the Slope (BD)
5. Children Who Chase Lost Voices
6. Utakata
7. Ghost Hound
8. From the New World

(Destiny of the Shrine Maiden, Glass Mask, Mardock Scramble (BD), Orphen, Taisho Baseball Girls)
(Angel Beats!, Blue Drop, Bodacious Space Pirates, Book of Bantorra, Croisée in a Foreign Labyrinth, Hidamari Sketch, Kokoro Connect, Le Portrait de Petit Cossette, Living for the Day After Tomorrow, Mysterious Girlfriend X, Night Raid 1931, No. 6, Shigofumi - Letters from the Departed, Tari Tari, Tegami Bachi - Letter Bee, tsuritama, You're Under Arrest)

------

[AU] Siren Visual:
1. Dennou Coil
2. Kaiba
3. Higurashi no Naku Koroni Kai

(Tatami Galaxy)
(Genius Party Box)

------

VIZ Media:
1. Tiger and Bunny

(Honey and Clover, Maison Ikkoku, Monster, NANA)

Last edited by Crisha on Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:05 am; edited 18 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:34 pm Reply with quote
And now let's double the trouble by putting my manga list right after the anime list. OHOHO!

Priority of Purchases for 2012 wrote:
  • 20th Century Boys (VIZ)
  • A Bride's Story (Yen Press)
  • Cross Game (VIZ)
  • Kaze Hikaru (VIZ)
  • Puella Magi Madoka Magica (Yen Press)
  • Sailor Moon (Kodansha)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MANGA PURCHASES LIST:

Notes: (Purchased) (May get to if time and money allow) (Sold / gave away)

ADV Manga:
(Chrono Crusade)

------

CMX:
Complete:
1. The Name of the Flower
2. Cipher
3. Astral Project

Incomplete:
1. Musashi No. 9
2. Two Flowers for the Dragon

(Emma)
(The Devil Does Exist, Madara, Moon Child, Oyayubihime Infinity, The Palette of 12 Secret Colors, The Recipe for Gertrude, Tower of the Future)

------

Dark Horse:
1. Translucent
2. Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service (v. 11-12)
3. Cardcaptor Sakura
4. Blood+
5. Appleseed

(3x3 Eyes (v. 3-8), Chobits, Clover, Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service (v. 1-10), Magic Knight Rayearth)
(Bride of the Water God, Hellsing, Eden: It's an Endless World, MPD Psycho)

------

Del Ray:
1. ES Eternal Sabbath
2. Mushi-shi
3. Moyasimon

(Genshiken, Nodame Cantabile, Parasyte, Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei)
(Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle (v. 1-3), xxxHolic (v. 1-3))

------

DRAWN & QUARTERLY:
(Onward Toward Our Noble Deaths, Push Man & Other Stories, Red Snow, A Single Match)

------

FANTAGRAPHICS:
1. Wandering Son
2. A Drunken Dream and Other Short Stories

------

FIRST SECOND:
(Color of Earth)

------

Go Comi:
1. Afterschool Nightmare
2. Her Majesty's Dog

------

Kodansha:
1. Sailor Moon (v. 3-7)
2. Codename: Sailor V
3. Mardock Scramble

(Sailor Moon (v. 1-2))
(Attack on Titan, Genshiken)

------

ONE PEACE:
1. Breathe Deeply
2. Ten Ken

------

PICTUREBOX:
(Garden)

------

Seven Seas:
1. Girl Friends

(Blood Alone, Kashimashi, Laddertop, Toradora!, Voiceful)

------

TokyoPop:
1. Tramps Like Us
2. Twelve Kingdoms Novel (v. 2-4)
3. Immortal Rain
4. FAKE (v. 3-6)

(Banner of the Stars, Cardcaptor Sakura: Master of the Clow, Crest of the Stars, FAKE (v. 1-2, 7), Fruits Basket, Magic Knight Rayearth, Twelve Kingdoms Novel (v. 1))
(Dragon Knights, Kare Kano, Mars)
(Dragon Knights (v. 5), Girl Got Game (v. 1-5), Gorgeous Carat (v. 1), Kindaichi Case Files (v. 1-5), Marmalade Boy (v. 5-8))

------

TOP SHELF:
(AX: A Collection of Alternative Manga 1)

------

Vertical:
1. Apollo's Song
2. The Drops of God
3. To Terra...

(7 Billion Needles, The Flowers of Evil (v. 1), Sakuran, Twin Spica)
(Lychee Light Club, No Longer Human, The Flowers of Evil (v. 2-4), Velveteen & Mandala)

------

VIZ:
1. 20th Century Boys (v. 16-22)
2. Cross Game (v. 5-8)
3. Story of Saiunkoku (v. 9)
4. Kaze Hikaru (v. 3-4, 6-20)
5. Skip Beat!
6. Uzumaki (v. 2-3)
7. Rurouni Kenshin BIG Edition

(20th Century Boys (v. 1-15), Basara, Cross Game (v. 1-4), Kaze Hikaru (v. 1-2, 5), Maison Ikkoku (v. 10, 12-15), Monster, Please Save My Earth, Ranma 1/2 (v. 1-9), Story of Saiunkoku (v. 1-8), Uzumaki (v. 1))
(Afterschool Charisma, Bokurano, Fushigi Yugi: Genbu Kaiden, House of Five Leaves, Kimi ni Todoke, Library Wars, Maison, Ikkoku, Natsume's Book of Friends, Pluto, Red River, Solanin, Video Girl Ai)
(Descendants of Darkness (v. 1-4, 6-8, 10), Fushigi Yugi (v. 1-8), Ranma 1/2 (v. 12-14))

------

Yen Press:
1. A Bride's Story (v. 3-4)
2. Puella Magi Madoka Magica (v. 3)
3. Soul Eater (v. 2-11)
4. Higurashi: When They Cry
5. Spice and Wolf Novel (v. 4-6)
6. With the Light (v. 6-8)

(A Bride's Story (v. 1-2), Puella Magi Madoka Magica (v. 1-2), Soul Eater (v. 1), Spice and Wolf Novel (v. 1-3), With the Light (v. 1-5))
(Maximum Ride, Romeo x Juliet, Spiral)

Last edited by Crisha on Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:40 pm; edited 10 times in total
EricDent

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Any info (good/bad) on these?

Twin Signal
Virgin Fleet
Sailor Victory
Idol Fighter Sui-Chi-Pai

All at a local store for under $15 each.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a good person to ask because it is my desire to buy any and all OVAs, regardless of quality, assuming I can get them for under $10. I own Sailor Victory, but haven't watched it yet. I sense it sucks. Twin Signal and Virgin Fleet are on my list. I sense they suck. I've never heard of Idol Fighter Sui-Chi-Pai before, but now that I have, it's on the list. I sense it sucks.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:19 pm Reply with quote
EricDent wrote:
Any info (good/bad) on these?

Twin Signal
Virgin Fleet
Sailor Victory
Idol Fighter Sui-Chi-Pai

All at a local store for under $15 each.

I can't speak on the others, but Idol Fighter Su-Chi-Pai has to be seen to be believed-not the anime itself, but the extra content on the DVD. There are interviews with the staff, and it's hilarious watching them try to pretend to have some enthusiasm for what they know is a total piece of sh*t that they're working on. You may want to check out the "Buried Garbage" article for more info (look in old articles under "Buried Treasure"). I got my copy from Ebay for about $2 (the shipping cost more than the DVD), so you may want to check online for the cheapest price.

Here is the article:
http://animenewsnetwork.com/buried-treasure/2008-09-04/buried-garbage-idol-fighter-su-chi-pai

I have a copy of Virgin Fleet but haven't gotten to it, I seem to recall Mike Toole having some fairly positive things to say about it in one of his columns.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:27 pm Reply with quote
If Sailor Victory is what I'm remembering, it wasn't bad, but nothing special, either. It was pretty short, and shown on IC, along with a bunch of other "tester" OAVs (stuff that had obviously meant to be longer and/or a pilot for a series, but they must not've gotten the funding for them). I remember Shinesman, Ninja Cadets... there were a couple others shown, too.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:50 pm Reply with quote
I liked Virgin Fleet. I actually did. It was absolutely ridiculous, of course, but I thought it was rather jolly.
moonie92

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:06 am Reply with quote
I payed a two dollars for Sailor Victory and I half wish I could get my money back. Secondspin had it in the clearance bin. Heaven knows I love clearance.

It wasn't the absolute worst thing I've ever seen, but it doesn't make a lot of coherent sense. There's a clone and some robots and they are all batshit stupid. If that's your kind of thing then you'll like this. If you don't you'll want your money back.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 74 of 132